New Wii owner, what should I know?

fuzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
This has most likely been addressed before. And Yes I did look at the FAQ section but hey whatever. I just want to know what I should know right out of the box is all. :)

Wear the wrist strap! Have fun! Pat yourself on the back for making the decision to get a Wii. Update the console to get the new channels (Internet, Forecast, News).

[quote name='dmes65']You should also know that there will not be any new games out in a long while.[/quote]

Unless he likes mini games.

Also, wear the wrist strap, cause for some reason, the wii controller gets slipperyfast as compared to the 360 controller.

Find out what the game wants you to do in order to play it properly.

I thought Monkey Ball sucked until I realized that the "neutral" position was different than what I assumed it was. Wii Golf sucked until I realized that you have to do your wind-up motion slowly, pause, and then swing through. Wii Boxing sucked until I realized you cannot punch until you finish with a punch first.

Just like in real sports, you have to develop a little muscle memory. Learn the little things like that and understand how the game plays, and you'll have fun and be a good player.

Lastly, remember that the 'sensor bar' is not a sensor bar at all, but a series of lights. The remote is the one with the sensor in it, so when you aim the remote try to remember to keep the sensor bar in the sight of the remote.

You should know that the Wii-mote gobbles up batteries pretty swiftly... buy some NiMH rechargeables.

[quote name='dmes65']You should also know that there will not be any new games out in a long while.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you define "new games" and "long while":

February 14, 2007 Wii Play Nintendo Action Compilation
February 20, 2007 Sonic and the Secret Rings SEGA Platformer
March 5, 2007 Mario Party 8 Nintendo Party
and SSX Blur comes out in March I think too.

and the TBA 2007 list is pretty impressive now at IGN:
http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

Yes, things are a *bit* slow now. I suspect we'll be getting tons of titles from this Fall and on (just like with the DS). But there's plenty of good games coming out before then (maybe not a great new release every week, but at least one a month, on average).

Eh I don't mind the drought. Spend some time with what we have now and work on yur backlog. Those complaining are also going to be the ones bitching when a ton of great titles come out at the same time. Look at the DS.

[quote name='io']Depends on how you define "new games" and "long while":

Yes, things are a *bit* slow now. I suspect we'll be getting tons of titles from this Fall and on (just like with the DS). But there's plenty of good games coming out before then (maybe not a great new release every week, but at least one a month, on average).[/quote]

Yup. Plus, I can rarely afford to buy more than a couple of new MSRP games a month, so this is a good rate for me.

Things will undoubtedly be picking up in a signicant way later this year, though.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Help cat is helpful.[/QUOTE]

Does your cat chase the Wii Menu hand back and forth like mine does ;)?

Yes, things are a *bit* slow now. I suspect we'll be getting tons of titles from this Fall and on (just like with the DS). But there's plenty of good games coming out before then (maybe not a great new release every week, but at least one a month, on average).[/quote]

2 of those games are mini games. So 2 games are coming out, and we only know that one is gonna be decent, IF you like snow boarding games.

Ill continue with Zelda.

[quote name='help1']2 of those games are mini games. So 2 games are coming out, and we only know that one is gonna be decent, IF you like snow boarding games.

Ill continue with Zelda.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know why you dismiss so-called "minigames". I know my family will spend a lot of time with Mario Party. This Sonic is supposed to be good for a change (we'll see, of course, and I will approach it cautiously to be sure). I'm actually NOT that interested in Blur. I got "burned" so to speak with SSX On Tour and got it upon release only to see it clearanced out everywhere not 6 months later. I will wait for Blur to be $19.99 or less.

And I still need to finish Zelda myself ;). So there's plenty to play on the Wii to keep someone busy until the AAA games come out. Not if you need to play 8 hours a day, mind you, but certainly 8 hours a week.

Yes, things are a *bit* slow now. I suspect we'll be getting tons of titles from this Fall and on (just like with the DS). But there's plenty of good games coming out before then (maybe not a great new release every week, but at least one a month, on average).[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that Mario Party 8 was moved to Q2 about a week ago on Nintendo's press calendar. There may not have been a formal announcement yet, but I wouldn't bank on that making March.

Tiger Woods and The Godfather are also coming out in March.

If you liked WiiSports golf as much as I do, the thought of having a deeper, more realistic game with a very similar control scheme should appeal.

And the wii version of the Godfather looks quite fun. The control scheme should add a new level of immersion to what was already (from what I've heard) a pretty decent experience.

[quote name='sonicfreak5']prepare to be bored... after a couple of days
after a week u get sick of it.[/quote]

News to me, I'm not bored of mine and it's been rockin' since 11/19. :)

Yeah, still rocking the system. Though I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, so I can't say what happens when you want to play it 30 hours a week... Still, absolutely none of the novelty has worn off.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']Don't forget that Mario Party 8 was moved to Q2 about a week ago on Nintendo's press calendar. There may not have been a formal announcement yet, but I wouldn't bank on that making March.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, I knew that (just temporarily forgot). But help1 is dismissing it as not a real game anyway, which is the point I was trying to argue.

Anyway, as others have said, if you are a 30 hour a week gamer AND had the Wii as your only system, you probably would exhaust what the Wii has to offer in a month or two. But I don't play it nearly that much. My son is obsessed with the Cars game on it now - such that he hasn't been letting me play Zelda :lol:. So I've been playing a lot of DS lately.

And I doubt any CAG's are in that situation anyway (hardcore gamer with only a Wii to play) - they would tend to have many systems to mess around with! I can't see the PS3 being any different right now (I see way fewer appealing games actually - as in NONE right now, for me, anyway).

[quote name='Popnmusic']Remember to sign up for those replacement straps and 90 day warranty extension.[/quote]
I think the units made in December and and thereafter come ready with the new strap? But I could be wrong. And thank you all for your help on this, I am sure I am not the only one. :D

If you have never owned a gamecube. Buy some Gamecube controllers, games and memory card. The cube has plenty of games to keep you busy while the Wii "drought" is around.

[quote name='KingDox']If you have never owned a gamecube. Buy some Gamecube controllers, games and memory card. The cube has plenty of games to keep you busy while the Wii "drought" is around.[/QUOTE]

That's a great suggestion. There are plenty of AAA Player's Choice titles available for $19.99 or less with coupons. RE4, LoZ: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, etc., etc., etc.

[quote name='Scobie']That's a great suggestion. There are plenty of AAA Player's Choice titles available for $19.99 or less with coupons. RE4, LoZ: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, etc., etc., etc.[/quote]
Very true! I did never own a gamecube and with my PS3, I am just starting to get into PS2 games as well. So the GC games still have a place in my heart, lol. A side note: I picked up LOZ: Twilight Princess yesterday so I hope it rocks.

bread's done
Back