New Xbox 360 Slim Purchase - Question About Warranty?? Please Help!

WebWizard

CAGiversary!
When I was at Walmart not long after E3 time.. What was that... like 2 months ago?? Anyway...they had 1 left of the new slim 360's 250gb in the glass case. I have never owned a 360 (only have original xbox) but have always wanted one. Up until now my current gen systems have always been the PS3 and the Wii.

I had always been afraid of all the troubles with the RROD ect.. And i'm sure the new 360 is probably better in some respect but it probably won't be 100% better, as i'm sure nothing is perfect.. BUT I was ready to finally be able to enjoy those MS exclusives I've always missed out on.. Halo.. Gears.. Alan Wake.. and SO MUCH more!!

So since I was already asking the Wife for the new 360 for the upcoming holidays, she decided to get it there in the store and just put it away for xmas, just in case of the holiday sellouts or running around last minute, and or online price gouging.

There is a 90 day return policy in store.. We didn't get any extended warranty.. Opted just for the regular 1 year MS warranty.. Maybe that was a bad idea.. not sure

Question is.. Should I open the 360 just to hook it up and make sure it works properly? And does my 1 year warranty start from the time I actually open it and register it? Or does it start at time of purchase? I am just imagining when end of December rolls around, in store stock will be nothing left most likely.. And if warranty starts when we actually purchased it, there will be about 6 months of the warranty through MS wasted on a new system..

What would you experienced xbox 360 users do in this case to be on the safest bet with the new system?

Thanks in advance.. I'm really clueless when it comes to MS policies or the new build of the 360.. Please help.

I'm 90% sure the warranty starts the date of purchase. The 3 year warranty of the older systems started date of purchase.

I would return it if I were you. They will almost surely be in stock around xmas. Also, you'll be able to get a good deal on one around then, probably with an extra controller, game, or gift card for free.

EDIT: This is CHEAP Ass Gamer. NEVER pay retail for anything, not even a system. I got my 4GB system by buying a used PS3 with 6 games ($130) and trading it in to GS for $200. I ended up spending around $85 for a $200 4GB Xbox 360. I could have paid $190 for the 250GB if I wanted to...

Do all the new systems have just a 1 year warranty now instead of 3 from MS ?

As far as retail goes.. Yeah I was all hyped from everything at E3 and was impulse because of the backlog of OOS orders at Gamestop at the time and it was just sitting there all lonely and new.. "Hey big boy look at my new sexy slim case" :)

I was having flashbacks of the Wii launch fiasco.. Also thinking even though I see all these systems now (360,PS3,Wii) plenty in stock.. It seems every xmas it's slim pickings after black friday.. and the ebay and amazon price fiends are at it..

I believe they all have 1 year warranty now (I should see if I have to register mine, lol).

I'd be surprised if they sell out. Amazon has them everyday, and you don't have to pay tax in most areas.

I returned it yesterday @ Walmart, then headed over to Target and picked up another 360 Slim 250gb system with the free extra controller at Target. So now just extended the warranty again and gained a free controller. So since it's staying sealed util the holidays if someone comes up with a better bundle before 90 days will return/rebuy again I guess..

Side Note: When I returned it factory sealed to Walmart the customer service lady starts opening the box and I say "uh! what are you doing, it's factory sealed?". I'm thinking they can just put it back in the glass case for a new buyer. She says.. "We'll we have to open it and check the serial #, then we send it off and just get credit for it. She's unwrapped everything.. I'm sitting there in disbelief and shock.. like WTF look on my face.. Unless I was Criss Angel and somehow swapped the new system with a brick without breaking seal.. then this is crazy!

What a waste!! I guess good luck to whoever gets that fresh new system as their refurb when or if one breaks and you send it in for warranty repair.

bread's done
Back