New XBOX 360 won't connect to LIVE, banned!

sellerr2d2

CAG Veteran
I just bought a refurbished XBOX 360 and a new Kinect for my kids and found out that the XBOX unit is banned from XBOX LIVE. I think the previous owner cheated and got banned. I called Microsoft and the help desk basically told me to get lost, there is nothing he can do about it. The new Kinect unit came with 2 codes for 2 full game downloads (Fruit Ninja and GunStringer) that I cannot use. Is there anything I can do to get back on LIVE and use the download codes?

Where did you buy it from? I doubt that Msoft would sell a banned xbox, I also doubt that you couldnt take it back to gamestop and exchange and explain it the situation and get a different one.

I have a feeling you bought this from a random guy off the street.

[quote name='DP2']There's always PS3. It disappoints far less often.[/QUOTE]

psn-only-does-offline.jpg

You should probably return it from wherever you bought it from, and if they refuse, file a BBB report or something, other than that, they're really nothing you can do. People have had the similar issues before, and Microsoft essentially told them to fuck off for buying a used console.

Edit: And your title is pretty misleading

Last edited by a moderator:
OP hasnt been back huh. Yeah, I am gonna guess he was a dumbass and bought it from a friend or cousin or online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you bought it at a store, just take it back. Most places will take back a defective console. Even if your game disk is open but defective you can exchange it for another one of the same type. So yeah just take it back and a new one. Maybe buy a slim.

[quote name='Corvin']Does Gamestop test Live when they test the system? Seems like something that should be a part of the process.[/QUOTE]
They toss in w/e disk is handy to make sure the console powers on and reads, and that's about it.

One thing is for sure, MS won't unban it for you. Sorry to say but if it was a private transaction and you can't return it, you're screwed.

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned, the XBOX 360 console is a refurb. The Kinect is brand new. I can't return the used XBOX 360 after 14 days. the Kinect has 1 year warranty. I guess I learned a lesson.
Any way, is there a way to download XBOX LIVE games or themes to a USB drive and then transfer it from USB to the XBOX 360?

[quote name='sellerr2d2']Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned, the XBOX 360 console is a refurb. The Kinect is brand new. I can't return the used XBOX 360 after 14 days. the Kinect has 1 year warranty. I guess I learned a lesson.
Any way, is there a way to download XBOX LIVE games or themes to a USB drive and then transfer it from USB to the XBOX 360?[/QUOTE]

Why would you hold onto a banned console for that long if you had the option to return it within that time frame?

[quote name='sellerr2d2']Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned, the XBOX 360 console is a refurb. The Kinect is brand new. I can't return the used XBOX 360 after 14 days. the Kinect has 1 year warranty. I guess I learned a lesson.
Any way, is there a way to download XBOX LIVE games or themes to a USB drive and then transfer it from USB to the XBOX 360?[/QUOTE]

Well, you technically could, or argue for it, since they sold the console to you "defective"

This guy has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. Its clear that he didnt buy it from any actually place than pooky from down the street.

[quote name='AJVtony831']Have you looked into any of the promotions gamestop might have?
Maybe trade it in for a new slim unless thats not even an option.[/QUOTE]

And be a douche and pass it on to someone else...

[quote name='sellerr2d2']
The game either needs to belong to the console or the gamertag for it to work. I assume you can't assign anymore licenses to the banned console and you wouldn't be able to sign in on that console anyway.

Here's an example of how it works. We have two Xbox 360s in the house, Xbox A and Xbox B. Trials HD is sitting on the hard drive of both consoles, however, the license belongs to Xbox A. Anybody can play the full game on Xbox A regardless of who is signed in. You do not need to be connected to Xbox Live. You can play offline. In order to play the full game on Xbox B, however, I must be signed in on that console and connected to Xbox Live.

You can still play games on the banned console, of course, but you can't do anything that requires Xbox Live. You can't even download patches. Your saved games will also not work on any other console. They will be labeled as corrupted. You also won't be able to install games to the hard drive.

Basically, whatever happens on a banned Xbox stays on the banned Xbox. If you play through Mass Effect on the banned Xbox and try to migrate your character to Mass Effect 2 on a new Xbox, you will not be able to do this.

bread's done
Back