New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

I have a experience question maybe someone can help me

I bought a xbox 360 arcade about a month ago and I love it I do NOT play games online and i do NOT have a hardrive the memory card that came with the bundle is enough for me

Now when experience comes out will I be able to install it on my arcade system even though I don't have a hardrive?

You will be able to download and install the update. You will not how ever be able to use the "download game to system" feature to install your disc games to the system, that is until you get a hard drive.

You need the memory card to get onto live as it has your profile. The NXE will be installed to a small memory card that is used stricktly for stuff like this etc.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']The one dis advantage of this whole HDD loading is that i smell exploits in the works. You may need to have the disc to verify the game, but by allowing a item to run freely from the HDD with just a media check to verify its contents can only lead to more exploits on the system not to mention i am sure this will pave the way for more a**holes to mod games like halo and COD4 with it running from the HDD... only time will tell[/QUOTE]

expect to be banned from live if you are using any exploit.

[quote name='62t']expect to be banned from live if you are using any exploit.[/quote]

Oh i was not speaking for myself just stating that it might happen with items running from a HDD, that flying warhog crap pissed me off in Halo 2

[quote name='xcoax']So November 19th... the day that xbox live will almost surely crash and burn for at least two days. Sweet.[/quote]

Sadly, I feel there is some truth to your statement..

We got 3 days without live for a "maximum of 24 hours" preparing for the fall update..:roll:

Although, I think it'll be pretty sweet when the new dashboard is up!

Wow I thought this whole avatar thing was gonna be really gay, but I think I may actually enjoy this... Thanks for the update

will this update be available on the xbox website ? so i can download it and burn it on a cd ? and update my xbox that way

cause my xbox can't go online :whistle2:(

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']will this update be available on the xbox website ? so i can download it and burn it on a cd ? and update my xbox that way

cause my xbox can't go online :whistle2:([/quote]
Any particular reason why it can't?

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']will this update be available on the xbox website ? so i can download it and burn it on a cd ? and update my xbox that way

cause my xbox can't go online :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

my friend JUST got an arcade 360 today and I was wondering if there was a way for him to get the update. I think if you can't get online, you be's screwed son.

cause my xbox can't go online :whistle2:([/quote]

If you don't have internet, take your Xbox to a friend's house and update it there. I'm sure you have a friend who'd let you do that, right?

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/918/918113p1.html

October 9, 2008
- Part of Microsoft's push at the Tokyo Game Show this year has been the so-called "New Xbox Experience," which is another way of describing the Xbox Live Dashboard overhaul scheduled to go live on Nov. 19. And Microsoft is so excited about the Avatars portion of the updated service that it plans to force all users to adopt one of the cutesy, non-threatening personas.

In a meeting with journalists at TGS this week, Microsoft's group product manager for Xbox 360, Aaron Greenberg, said all users will be required to choose an avatar as a visual representation of themselves when they boot up the new dash.

"We're forcing you to have a visual representation of yourself," Greenberg said, when asked if he thought hardcore gamers would be put off by the requirement. "But you can make a pretty badass avatar."

However, that doesn't mean you have to use your new friend, or even take more than half a minute creating him or her. At the outset of the Avatar creation process, you'll be greeted by a cavalcade of pre-made Avatars who'll romp onto the screen for your choosing.

If you like, you can pick one of these templates and customize it to your liking. Or, if you're the Scrooge McDuck type, you can just button mash until an Avatar is picked and filed away. If you so desire, you never have to use your Avatar again, as the same functions that are in the Guide currently will be available in the NXE.

When the service launches next month, all the accoutrements available for your Avatar (haircuts, clothing, etc.) will be gratis. But when asked if that will continue indefinitely, Greenburg said Microsoft is keeping its options open. So if you're planning on outfitting your character with Armani suits and Ray-Bans, be prepared to possibly pay for the privilege down the line.

[quote name='SynGamer']Any particular reason why it can't?[/quote]

Where I live I get free WIFI internet for my PC so If I want my xbox360 to go online I have buy a xbox 360 wifi adaper that I can't afford right now :whistle2:(

I can't take it to a friends house cause he lives in a shitty nieghborhood and I dont want to get robbed

Looking at the xbox website seems I can download the update burn it on a cd and do it that way ....

[quote name='cochesecochese']If you have a CAT5 cable you can bridge your 360 to your PC and connect for the update.[/quote]

And not to be rude but if you don't know what CAT5 cable is it's an ethernet cable the larger looking phone plug;)

I have the cat 5 cable right here my computer connects to the internet using wifi I dont have a router or anything please help me out so i can get this update lol

You need to bridge your wifi connection and etnernet connection on your pc. All you do is go to "My Network connections" highlight both, right click and then click bridge connections.

If it doesn't work for you there's tutorials all over the internet.

This update looks badass.

OMG IT WORKED! Im on live right now THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH! I even updated my console :)

even got a gamer card :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At 128MB, the New Xbox Experience will be too big for some Xbox 360s to handle.

The entry-level Arcade box has no onboard hard drive, but Microsoft has promised to release 'Storage Solutions' to help out those who will otherwise miss out on key features.

Speaking to Xbox 360 Fanboy, LIVE's Major Nelson said, "To help ensure all Xbox LIVE members are able to download the New Xbox Experience and enjoy its new features, Microsoft will be offering storage solutions to the Xbox LIVE community. We are not sharing details of this offering yet."

That could be interesting. Free memory cards for everyone!

[quote name='JJSP']That could be interesting. Free memory cards for everyone![/QUOTE]

That would be a huge pain in the ass. I bet they'll do some kind of online storage.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']I'm guessing there going to lower the price of hardrive ?[/quote]
That would be great, but i'm expecting them to lower the prices for the memory cards first.

I assume it's been covered, but Major Nelson is reporting that you'll be able to queue up downloads via the Marketplace on Xbox.com. Your queued downloads will begin as soon as you turn on your 360 - should make it a lot easier to browse the Marketplace rather than go through countless menus on the dashboard.

Dunno if this has been answered already, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it. Will downloads automatically stop again when your playing online games? Or will they actually let you play while downloading now?

[quote name='Littlefields']Dunno if this has been answered already, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it. Will downloads automatically stop again when your playing online games? Or will they actually let you play while downloading now?[/QUOTE]

They will never let you play while downloading. There is a good reason for that. Hurting your bandwith affects the quality of service for everyone else you are playing with.

[quote name='JJSP']I assume it's been covered, but Major Nelson is reporting that you'll be able to queue up downloads via the Marketplace on Xbox.com. Your queued downloads will begin as soon as you turn on your 360 - should make it a lot easier to browse the Marketplace rather than go through countless menus on the dashboard.[/quote]

Yea that is awesome, here is gamerscore'a blog with screenies ^^
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/10/10/nxemkplwb.aspx

Yeah, he mentioned that a few months back. Another nice feature. Unfortunately if you want it to download you'd have to leave your system on. Otherwise it just grabs your queue the next time you turn the system on.

A permanent low power mode like the Wii would be awesome for this... if the 360 wasn't a piece of shit. I wouldn't dare leave mine in that mode if they offered it.

[quote name='JJSP']I assume it's been covered, but Major Nelson is reporting that you'll be able to queue up downloads via the Marketplace on Xbox.com. Your queued downloads will begin as soon as you turn on your 360 - should make it a lot easier to browse the Marketplace rather than go through countless menus on the dashboard.[/quote]

That is pretty fucking awesome. Although...if the marketplace had been laid out better I probably wouldn't be so excited for this.

Has any details on a new backwards compatability update surfaced yet? It seems that whenever there is a major update to the system that an BC update follows.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Has any details on a new backwards compatability update surfaced yet? It seems that whenever there is a major update to the system that an BC update follows.[/QUOTE]

I have no links but they have kind of hinted that they are done with BC updates.

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah, he mentioned that a few months back. Another nice feature. Unfortunately if you want it to download you'd have to leave your system on. Otherwise it just grabs your queue the next time you turn the system on.

A permanent low power mode like the Wii would be awesome for this... if the 360 wasn't a piece of shit. I wouldn't dare leave mine in that mode if they offered it.[/quote]

Haha yea like a remote start, I can see it now "start up your 360 across the globe with the power of xbox.com" haha

Edit: Looks like Sony will be launching Home the same date as the NXBE:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-214100.aspx

You know, I'm not even worried about the people that don't have a harddrive for the dash update.

Most of us here know better to get a arcade and some of us either have one cuz our 20gig bricked on us and we kept the hdd.

The only people that M$ is trying to cover are the hockey moms and the joe six packs that bought their dumbass kids the arcade with no real knowledge of why you don't buy a core.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have no links but they have kind of hinted that they are done with BC updates.[/QUOTE]

You are fucking kidding me..... :bomb:

At least they should of gotten Midtown Madness 3 to work on the 360. Seeing that it is a Microsoft title and all.
Or at least make a new Midtown Madness game for the 360... in either case they gave the fucking middle finger to all MM fans.

From neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338760

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardware/memoryupdate/default.htm

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/

Should be in general I guess. Move if needed. All credit goes to BakedPigeon of Gaf.

Only arcade and core models work for this deal; otherwise you get this message:

"According to our records you own a console which has enough memory to connect to Xbox LIVE and live the new Xbox Experience. The next time you turn on your Xbox 360 console and connect to Xbox LIVE you will receive the update. Have fun!
If you feel you are receiving this message in error and own an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 Arcade console please validate your serial number and reenter it here. Xbox 360 Pro and Elite consoles come with enough memory and are not eligible for this upgrade."

If your 360 does not have enough memory for the NXE update; then Microsoft provides you with 2 options (update: there seem to be different versions on the deal depending on which console you have):

For the Core:

1. A refurbished 20gb HDD for $19.99

2. A free 512 Mb mem card.

For the Arcade:

1. A refurbished 20gb HDD with 3 months of XBL for $29.99

Console serial and id needed.

From the official website:

How do I locate my Console Serial Number and Console ID

Each Xbox 360 console has a unique, 12-digit serial number and a separate 12-digit Console ID . The Console Serial Number and Console ID are both located in the System Information area of the Xbox 360 Dashboard:
  1. Turn on your Xbox 360 Console
  2. Scroll right to the System area. This may also be System Settings depending on your version of the dash
  3. Select Console Settings
  4. Select System Info
  5. Write down your Console Serial Number and Console ID
Please confirm if legit, and post if you find any discreptancies with the offer. Prices may be different as well depending on region. I have not personally tried out this offer and I am only going by CAG and Gaf accounts.

Note I found about this here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338760

2 websites:
Storage website: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardware/memoryupdate/default.htm
Program website: http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh/web/home/hhauthentication.jsp?ssLocale=en_US

Breakdown
- Supposed to be for Core/Arcade owners with no hard drive (I smell exploits)
- You can get a 512mb Memory card or a 20gb HDD for $20
- You need 128mb or less space on your HDD/Memory Card for it to work

If anyone wants to try this, spill the beans, as people might be able to get free Memory cards.

Stolen shamelessly from GAF (sorry for not asking, BakedPigeon)

Arcade owners, head on over to the XBox Storage Upgrade website and enter in the necessary information. You will then be able to choose from a free 512 mb memory unit OR a refurbished 20 gig hard drive for $19.99. Choose wisely.

I'm pretty sure MS can verify only Arcade units are doing this by SN so let's please only use this program if we need it. Thanks.

Note to mods: I searched but didn't find anything on this. I was unsure if this should go in the NXE thread (easily bypassed) or whether it deserved it's own. Feel free to lock/move/merge as necessary.

Wow, seems like a nice fix to the arcade owners storage problem, but how will MS spread the word about this to people that don't frequent message boards?

[quote name='Gamehead']Wow, seems like a nice fix to the arcade owners storage problem, but how will MS spread the word about this to people that don't frequent message boards?[/QUOTE]

I am sure there will be ads on live.

well, have a hdd from an old pro i use on my arcade... i wonder if it's better to get a hdd from this to sell it, or just keep another memory card for free. ideas?

update: they knew i had a hard drive, so the program was a no-go for me

This is bullshit. So MS lowers the price on the 20 GB HDD and offers a free 512MB memory card for people who bought the cheap version, while those of us who bought the HDD-equipped 360's get nothing...

bread's done
Back