New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='orbit18']cant do avatars cause it says it has to "sign in" to get an update. hence you can't sign in :p[/quote]
Damn, that sucks. What we need is for someone who got in legit to get ahold of an XSATA or something and upload the update to the net for everyone else.

btw for the people who want to delete games with 0 achievements. you can even delete games that had 1 achievement that was worth 0 points(kameo). I only had one achievement for that game and it was worth 0 points so you are able to delete that.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone tried installing the Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged compilation to see if, by some strange chance, the games would be treated like normal XBLA games(not having to leave the disc in the tray) instead of like the other installed regular 360 games? I'm tired of swapping game discs whenever I want to play Geo-Wars on a whim.[/QUOTE]

Anybody got a response to this. I'm curious too.

[quote name='KaneRobot']fuck you you fucking fuck I fucking hate you for getting in Major Nelson can suck my fucking cock and go shove a play and charge kit in his fuck hole. It is not fucking tolerable to wait a whole two and a fucking half weeks after every other fucking fuck on fuckland aka XBox Live has already gotten in. I hate you Major Nelson and your blog fucking sucks ass. fuck.[/quote]

Now, reach through your monitor and punch him. Wait, I am driving over. I want to see this in person.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Damn, that sucks. What we need is for someone who got in legit to get ahold of an XSATA or something and upload the update to the net for everyone else.[/QUOTE]They already did that.

You still won't be able to connect to Live(until the 19th) unless you're on Microsoft's list of approved console IDs.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone tried installing the Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged compilation to see if, by some strange chance, the games would be treated like normal XBLA games(not having to leave the disc in the tray) instead of like the other installed regular 360 games? I'm tired of swapping game discs whenever I want to play Geo-Wars on a whim.[/quote]

[quote name='dchrisd']Anybody got a response to this. I'm curious too.[/quote]

Don't have the update, but I think it's pretty safe to say the status quo will remain concerning things like Arcade Unplugged and the Compilation Disc.

And on a side note, even though I am not one to partake in complaining over trivial matters, I do agree that it was fairly stupid of the Major to say that there would be a good chance of getting in. I realize that this thread is but a small, small sampling of the people who signed up, but 95% of the responses have been in the negative.

Agreed. All he had to say was something like 'there's only a small chance but it's worth trying because the new features are hot' and he would have saved himself the backlash.

There's plenty of speculation flying around that MS will open the gates early as so many people have already downloaded this.

What I think is amazing is it seems that possibly the XBL team there at MS may be split on how everyone feels Chris Paladino over at gamerscoreblog.com on his twitter last night to talking to SempraFi was stating he basically didn't agree how it was implamented or "teased"

http://twitter.com/CPaladino about a quarter way done the page you can see his comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many people signed up and how many actually got in. And did anyone with a US console get into this?

NXE is available to download and install.
I do not recommend installing on your main 360.
I just installed it on an extra 360 I have.
Update is 7MB and takes about 10 seconds.
After that your old Blades OS is gone forever.
You will not be able to connect to Xbox Live on that 360 till Nov 19.
Do not transfer the hard drive you installed it on to another 360.
Put the NXE folder on a flash drive and boot up the 360.
No avatars, no Xbox Live, no Arcade games, no Friends List.
This is just the NXE operating system only.
I have my Gamertag on a memory card with some recent game saves.
I've had no problems alternating between the two 360's with the
new offline NXE OS 360 and the old online Blades OS 360.
Major Nelson said whoever did this will not have Live or the full NXE features until Nov 19.
Your gamertag or console will not be banned, but your console ID is not recognized,
so you cannot login to Live till Nov 19.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v78cub

http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_lobby/b8271/173087053/p1/?26

Edit: Impressions
I installed Gears of War 6.8GB and the Arcade Compilation disc 4.7GB,
it takes about 10 minutes of reading the disc.
The game loads faster and the 360 is whisper quite.
No DVD drive spinning a disc or the second fan churning away.
Under 'My Xbox', fanning through 91 games I have supposedly played 'blades'
is incredibly fast, no loading of achievements at all, totally instant.
Each game played blade shows the achievements earned badges, which look incredible.
We've always had them, but now they are much bigger and more prominent.
Under achievements, if a game has a '0' gamerscore, an option to "remove game history" is available.
Afterwards, fanning through 46 games I have actually played is even faster.
Crap, under notifications, still can't put notify 'achievements only',
instead of seeing all 100 Friends login and logout every 10 seconds.

Even though it was all quite anti-climatic,
I think it's growing on me a little bit.
I'm so glad I got this out of my system.
Now I can get back to gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gordojones88']NXE is available to download and install.
I do not recommend installing on your main 360.
I just installed it on an extra 360 I'm giving my brother for Xmas.
You will not be able to connect to the internet on that 360 till Nov 19.
Do not transfer the hard drive you installed it on to another 360.
I put the NXE folder on a flash drive and booted up the 360.
I then installed Gears of War.
No avatars, no Xbox Live, no arcade games, no Friends List.
This is just the NXE operating system only.
This is not recommended unless you have an extra 360.
Major Nelson said whoever did this will simply not have the full features until Nov 19.

http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_lobby/b8271/173087053/p1/?26[/quote]

Can anyone give me/PM me the code/link to download it, if you don't want it anymore? :bouncy:

I'll be damned, it actually works. I tried it on my spare 360 just to check it out.

Just download the file, unRAR it, burn the unRARed folder (and file inside) to a CD, put it in your Xbox, turn it off and reboot. It'll then ask you to update.

So far it looks like everyone has said - no LIVE access, etc - but I'm installing Fable 2 right now. That's pretty much the #1 feature I want.

The dashboard is definitely faster, but the sounds kind of remind me of the PS2...

I just thought I'd ask my fellow CAGers if they plan on using the feature when the NXE comes out (installing full games to the hard drive).
I personally am not all that interested in trying it because of better (slightly) load times.
But being the owner of a Launch date 360, I would love to give this a shot, just to be able to play without the sound of a 747 flying around in my room.

Loose personal rule of yes for games from 2005/2006, no on anything after - that is, unless the "it'll only work significantly better for early games" statement turns out to be nonsense. Then I'll just install whatever I'm playing at the time.

Need to get an Elite first, though. The time draws near.

yes, i got a 120gb, it'd be a waste of space not to
1st game going in=Halo 3
Next game=who knows

it'd be a nice feature if i can keep Halo 3 in my HD-DVD drive and let it run off the Hdd

Some impressions of the hard drive install feature:

I installed about 5 games on the hard drive. Took anywhere from 5-8 minutes per game. Installation was smooth and easy.

Load times are much quicker. I noticed it the most in Madden 09, a game that has some frame rate issues, the game ran much smoother and faster. And of course as a bonus, no fan or disc drive noise.

Overall I'm impressed with the update, and the hard drive install feature really didn't excite me at first.

Some impressions of the hard drive install feature:

I installed about 5 games on the hard drive. Took anywhere from 5-8 minutes per game. Installation was smooth and easy.

Load times are much quicker. I noticed it the most in Madden 09, a game that has some frame rate issues, the game ran much smoother and faster. And of course as a bonus, no fan or disc drive noise.

Overall I'm impressed with the update, and the hard drive install feature really didn't excite me at first.

It's the reason I splurged for a 120 HDD on ebay. My 2-year old system is so damn noisey. Really looking forward to this feature. How much space do each of the games take up?

I have the smallest HD ( 20 gig?) and don't think most games would fit on the space I have left on it. However if I run into a particularly loud, grindy sounding game ( my 360 sometimes scratches discs) or one that has super long loading times, I will delete stuff and see if I can fit it in there.

how exactly will it work? does the game have to be in the drive for it to load? im sure its been asked but whats to stop someone from ripping rentals into their hd

Hell fuckin yeah i am. Any game i play i will. I got an elite and i dont even care about the loading times. Just shut that damn thing up tyvm.

First games going in:
sciv
gh3
sr2

[quote name='guyver2077']how exactly will it work? does the game have to be in the drive for it to load? im sure its been asked but whats to stop someone from ripping rentals into their hd[/quote]

game has to be in the drive, it will check the game, then run it off the drive. so really it's saving you no convenience of getting up and changing the game out, it's just much quieter/possibly faster loading

aaaand i need a 120gig drive before i can take advantage of this.

Yes, but i only have the 20GB version so i'll be limited to 1 or 2 games max. If i can find a deal on the 60GB HDD or possibly put my own in, then i'll definitely do that. As it is, Nov. 19th can't come quick enough. Fable 2 is just thrashing my DVD drive right now.

Maybe a dumb queston, but can you install backward compatible xbox originals to the hard drive?

It'd be nice, but I doubt it, since it seems they'd rather make you pay $15 for the same thing, only buggier.

This might also be a dumb question, but what is going to stop people from just renting/buying a game and installing it onto their 360 then returning it?

[quote name='macontosh2000']This might also be a dumb question, but what is going to stop people from just renting/buying a game and installing it onto their 360 then returning it?[/quote]

Because you'll still need the game disc in the system to activate the game. Installing it won't eliminate the need for the disc, just cut down on load times, system noise, and reduce the strain on the hardware.

But I'm sure the hackers will have a work-around ready about a week later...

[quote name='DestroVega']you really lose the use of LIVE with the preview.... that is crazy[/quote]

You don't lose the use of Live if you were selected for the preview. The people losing it are the ones who downloaded it elsewhere and put it on their systems.

I'll probably install whatever game I'm playing most at the time, just to avoid any more drive activity than is absolutely necessary. If the feature happens to work extraordinarily well, though, I may install a few of my favorites, since I have plenty of space on my 120 GB HDD.

I hope they don't merge this thread into the NXE thread. This seems to be a great topic.
As for Original xbox games, I'm quite certain you will NOT be able to load those.

As for me, I recently used the "Live.com 30%cashback through ebay" to pick up a used elite for under $200 (after cashback).
So I plan on using the feature on my most played games.
But I am also desperate to try this on my Louder than S*** launch day system.

Dastly, is it possible to load BC Xbox games onto the hard drive or is that limited strictly to 360 games? Question came up in another thread, figured you could shed some light on that.

[quote name='JJSP']Dastly, is it possible to load BC Xbox games onto the hard drive or is that limited strictly to 360 games? Question came up in another thread, figured you could shed some light on that.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that BC XBX games cannot be installed to the HD.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone tried installing the Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged compilation to see if, by some strange chance, the games would be treated like normal XBLA games(not having to leave the disc in the tray) instead of like the other installed regular 360 games? I'm tired of swapping game discs whenever I want to play Geo-Wars on a whim.[/quote]

Can anyone try doing this?

[quote name='sunnysky']I just thought I'd ask my fellow CAGers if they plan on using the feature when the NXE comes out (installing full games to the hard drive).
I personally am not all that interested in trying it because of better (slightly) load times.
But being the owner of a Launch date 360, I would love to give this a shot, just to be able to play without the sound of a 747 flying around in my room.[/quote]
Definitely yes now that Fable 2 has officially murdered my less than 1 year old 360. That game made my system roar like a passenger jet taking off. All other games worked fine, though.

bread's done
Back