New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

I'm going to be gone for the next few days, so I went ahead and installed the "leaked" one. Figured I wouldn't be on Live anyway.

Slick. It is definitely faster than my laggy old dash. Then again, since I'm not connected to Live, I can't really compare those features.

I see where I can change my theme, but changing to one doesn't seem to do anything? Is that something that will change when I can get on Live, or is that feature just broken right now?

What theme is everyone using? I was using those gears 2 NXE themes but then I decided to just stick with spectrum because I liked it better. I dont even know where the Gears 2 NXE themes came from, are they on the game disk?

Might switch back to the Gears 2 themes later...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How long did it take to install Gears2? Can you play while its installing?[/QUOTE]

I don't think whoever said 5 minutes is correct. When I installed Gears 2 (and have atleast 5 times already, since I have a 20GB, I can only have one game on at a time, and now I'm installing all games before I play them [ which means I have to install, delete, and then install again whenever I want to play a game ]), and each time, it was installing long enough for the "screen saver" to go into effect.

Which, for that to happen, I believe is about 15 minutes. Usually, they seem to finish about 1-2 minutes after that, making for a 15 - 17 minute install time.

I'm not sure, maybe it installs faster on bigger HDD's, but on my 20GB HDD, all big installs take about that much time.. it's all dependent on the size of the install though, of-course.

You also can't play any games while it is going, but you are able to access the guide, and send messages, and do pretty much anything else in the guide, but just not anything on the system itself until your install is complete.

Hope that helps.

Well, I gave in and bought a 120GB drive earlier while I was out, and I'm copying the old drive over now. It'll be nice to have free space again.

they need to change how avatars stand

well, I got that email from USAtoday saying I was in and to resend info... but nothing on my system yet... oh well, guess it's Wednesday for me then.

[quote name='Persona7']I dont even know where the Gears 2 NXE themes came from, are they on the game disk?

Might switch back to the Gears 2 themes later...[/quote]

Considering the amount of Gamer Pics I've had sneak onto my harddrive, several of them just from playing the demo of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if a Gears 2 theme snuck in.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all about the free stuff but I really wish they would announce in game when you get them. Would be nice to know they're there and would let me know if I can get others.

[quote name='DestroVega']well, I got that email from USAtoday saying I was in and to resend info... but nothing on my system yet... oh well, guess it's Wednesday for me then.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat which is lame as I sent my info originally about 30 minutes after the first USA Today topic was posted on CAG. Just switched on my 360 to see if maybe they just did not send me the email but still no luck.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm going to answer my own question.

Hit the guide button, go left and click 'Achievements.' Any game that shows 0 gamerscore, including original Xbox games, will pop up an extra option to delete with 'X' at the bottom of the screen.[/quote]
Thanks!

[quote name='Persona7']What theme is everyone using? I was using those gears 2 NXE themes but then I decided to just stick with spectrum because I liked it better. I dont even know where the Gears 2 NXE themes came from, are they on the game disk?

Might switch back to the Gears 2 themes later...[/quote]

Spectrum

No. Apparantly if you just press play for a game thats on the hdd it will load from the hdd(with the disc thats currently in). I heard differently. Meaning you dont actualy have to go to the games library to load from the hdd

With only a limited change in load times why would anyone want to install a game to the HDD. You still need the disc to play right? So no renting and then installing and viola free game. Reading this page 72 of the thread I thought it was out already. I believe its just a public beta. Is the full release next week?

I have a problem/question. My 360 keeps saying it is unable to read a game all of a sudden in the middle of it. I'm sure eventually it will get to where it won't at all. I know you still need the game with the new dashboard,but wouldn't it help my drive not giving those unreadable disc errors or would it?

[quote name='BREVITY']With only a limited change in load times why would anyone want to install a game to the HDD. You still need the disc to play right? So no renting and then installing and viola free game. Reading this page 72 of the thread I thought it was out already. I believe its just a public beta. Is the full release next week?[/quote]

The primary reason games are installed to the HDD is to reduce wear and tear on the disc drive and prevent the console from overheating. Faster load times are an added bonus.

Yes, the disc is still needed to play. It does not behoove XBox 360 developers to give all of their software away for free.

The dashboard is available now to a handful of people who won entrance through a preview program. It is not a beta; the NXE being used by people now is the same NXE that will be available next week.

[quote name='BREVITY']With only a limited change in load times why would anyone want to install a game to the HDD. You still need the disc to play right? So no renting and then installing and viola free game. Reading this page 72 of the thread I thought it was out already. I believe its just a public beta. Is the full release next week?[/QUOTE] I noticed that Fable 2 was more stable and loaded a bit faster.

Also, less wear and tear on the disk. When you play off the HDD the game spins to make sure its the right game then the drive shuts down.

Hm, seems as though my connection has gotten shitty since installing the update.

Basically, it's like this:
Old Dashboard: No disconnects, perfect private chat, every onceinawhile voice lag in game lobbies, NAT Moderate

New Dashboard: Disconnected twice while playing L4D demo with a friend, voice chat is now ALL lag, wh-it-so-undi-ngl-ike-this-a-l-l-th-t-me, game chat still has lag, NAT Imnotsure.

Don't know if it's cause I'm using a Wireless Bridge (connect your ethernet cable to your PC, bridge the connections.) Though, I used this way with the old board, and it had what I described above. Wonder if it's just Live........

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I have a 20gb HDD and NHL 09 was 5.7gb. It literally took 3 to 5 minutes

I are sad, I want the GOW 2 NXE theme[/quote]

Download the free one called "Last Day", its NXE ready...looks bad ass...like when you look at your friends, there's a lot of Gears debris behind them like broken down buildings, helicopters...etc....cool stuff. The GS theme though is the best.

----------

On the update...love it, very clean look, gamerpics actually are actually high quality. Only thing that sucks is that I can't get into XBOX Live with any game...as soon as the game boots up I get disconnected. They better be working on this right now...its bullshit!

----------

Here's me:

I have different pants on now...darker, and longer, just hasn't updated.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Word. I am expecting an absolute shit storm when NXE officially launches.[/quote]
Yeah it's going to be bad. Everyone with Xbox Live downloading a 100MB update is going to kill the servers.

Wow, With the old Dashboad I never got Disconnected from NHL 09. With this new dash I have only been able to get ONE full game in. This is really screwing up my DNF's damn it!

Also thanks for the Theme on where to get it. Gonna go get it in a few.

Hey, I got a question, hopefully it hasn't been asked.

The marketplace are you able to find things easier now? For example if things are new or hell can you look for items that are free separately now? I'm very curious about it. I'm guessing once the update goes on Wednesday that xbox.com will also go through its changes.

Since you can prepurchase your items on the website and it will automatically d/l when you sign on I am hoping for a easier system to find items.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Wow, With the old Dashboad I never got Disconnected from NHL 09. With this new dash I have only been able to get ONE full game in. This is really screwing up my DNF's damn it!

Also thanks for the Theme on where to get it. Gonna go get it in a few.[/QUOTE]

It's not the new dashboard. It's affecting everyone as people are saying. I got disconnected 3 times, but right now has been stable. It's just everyone who is currently in the third wave that are downloading the NXE is definitely putting a strain on the system

Yeah, it's disconnecting me from Banjo as well. Trying to get the League Achievements right now. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yes the new marketplace is much better. You can search by letter now[/QUOTE]

What about price? Can you check it by that, from free to 1200 points or whatever the max has been?

I see you got the custom sigs working Vulcan...nice work!

--------

I think live is working again...just popped in Scene It to see if the avatars were available and it didn't sign me out. BTW: Avatar support is not available...my guess is a game update will launch on 11/19

ok, have to vent. a quote from majornelson's initial blog post: "We’re looking for a few thousand participants, so your chances of making it in are good." so i assume that 10,000+ participants would make chances even better, eh? NOT. no email for me. seems like most people here eventually got it, so i guess i was in the unlucky 10% (or whatever) all three times. really, they should have just opened it to everyone, especially since it seems like a minority did not get in. now i get to crash the servers on the 19th with everyone else. ugh

I'm pretty impressed with the NXE, especially because I was able to snag it before everybody crashes the servers on Wednesday.

I really enjoy the in-game guide options the most and it give me something to do in Gears 2 while I'm waiting for 20 minutes for a teammate to play multiplayer with :).

Hey Wowimsocute join the club. I never got in any of them 0/4 I was told I was in the USA today one but seems they just lied their ass off and didn't deliver. And of course I submitted to majors thing within the first 3 mins of that post going up about it.... Not a single time

And get this my brother who just got an xbox a month ago actually had gotten it the same day Major put that survey up for the preview yeah he got in today..... And yes thats how I have an avatar.... I went over to his place and tried the NXE out.....

If I load this to a CD and update manually, what are the odds of my crashing my box and being SOL on the 19th?

Yes, I know I could wait. I've decided that my Xbox is far louder than I care to hear, and would like to remedy that ASAP.

Well, my xbox was sent in for a rrod when the initial signups happened, so I was really excited about this usa today deal. I signed up well before "everyone up to this point has gotten in" message, confirmed the info with the email yesterday and come home to no update. I know it is only a few days away but I am frustrated with the situation. I did get my rockband drums back from months at ea...so I'm not totally bummed!

Eh, still horrible chat on my end for some reason. No idea why. This happening to anyone else? Only started after I updated did this start happening. And I keep disconnecting. All the time.

Not very happy right now, but, hey, as long as it gets fixed sooner than later, I'll be fine.

I'm never supporting USA Today again.....simple as that.

Why?

Because I was one that CLEARLY was in way before the 250 limit. Even got the verification email!

And to think that people who signed up late and didn't even get the 2nd email got in but not me????? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

NAH, fuck 'EM

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']What about price? Can you check it by that, from free to 1200 points or whatever the max has been?[/quote]

No just letter and genre

anyone try community games?
i played weapon of choice and the style is pretty crazy
not sure if i'll pick it up but it was made by a former insomniac programmer

Wow. I am amazed that I still don't have the update from USA Today. Even after they sent me confirmation, I'm still without a sneak peek of NXE. What a waste of time.

bread's done
Back