New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='screwkick']boy, xbox live is acting up tonight...[/quote]
I'm not even sure if i want to sign on to XBL on the 19th. With the size of the NXE update, i'm positive Live will go down at some point...

My chubby avatar.

Got in on the lat round of early testers. I really like it so far, but the private chat between people with NXE (me) and without (my friends) is borked; the sound is choppy and unintelligible.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']anyone try community games?
i played weapon of choice and the style is pretty crazy
not sure if i'll pick it up but it was made by a former insomniac programmer[/quote]

I tried Weapon of Choice a few minutes ago. Other than the fact that Wilford Brimley is your commander, it was pretty much crap.

Are the XNA games and the Community Games the same thing? Or different? I'm still a little confused by it all. XNA creator's club... etc...? Which are free and which cost money? The community games at like $3.

I haven't tried any yet. I'm sort of excited to, even though I'm kind of worried they're all gonna blow honkey from what you guys have said. :) You can't expect AAA, high-tech stuff, though, ya know!

For everyone else that got screwed by USA today, there is a rumor that we may still get in on Monday. But by then, what's the point. USA dropped the ball big time here. Everyone I helped get in, got in. And I signed up before them.

I want to sue them for discrimination against badasses.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']https://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=11d9e3da41dacd16
[/quote]
You totally messed that one up.
I like the GOW2 themes because they make the "foreground' darker.

well, a big fuck you to USA Today. ;)

worked all day long and i expected to come home to the update and i get nothing. really guys? really? they got all the information they needed tuesday or wednesday and a few days later people still don't have their update? ugh..

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']well, a big fuck you to USA Today. ;)

worked all day long and i expected to come home to the update and i get nothing. really guys? really? they got all the information they needed tuesday or wednesday and a few days later people still don't have their update? ugh..[/QUOTE]

You know I'm more angry now because it occurred to me this was a ploy to get their online membership up for advertising.

fuckers.

[quote name='thrustbucket']You know I'm more angry now because it occurred to me this was a ploy to get their online membership up for advertising.

fuckers.[/quote]

sounds about right to me. i'm not too happy that my serial number and console id are out there somewhere now too. i mean it's USA Today, but it still doesn't make me happy.

So whats the list of Offical NXE themes before I go points spending crazy. I wish we could change the My Xbox stuff. All that bright greeb gives me a head ache.

[quote name='akilshohen']

Everything is nice so far. I just would like the themes to work better and to get the options for custom guide backgrounds back[/QUOTE]

How are you guys posting full body shots?

[quote name='Bravelionheart']Got in on the lat round of early testers. I really like it so far, but the private chat between people with NXE (me) and without (my friends) is borked; the sound is choppy and unintelligible.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, so im not the only one with the problem. Hopefully live will be a lot better today, though it should be.

[quote name='neverletthem']Awesome, so im not the only one with the problem. Hopefully live will be a lot better today, though it should be.[/quote]

That's a universal problem with everyone who has NXE. This will be fixed when all users have the NXE update, but until then you'll have to refrain from private chatting with non-NXE users. Of course in game chatting still works absolutely fine.

[quote name='Draekon']That's a universal problem with everyone who has NXE. This will be fixed when all users have the NXE update, but until then you'll have to refrain from private chatting with non-NXE users. Of course in game chatting still works absolutely fine.[/quote]

Alright, cool, thanks. Never read anything about it, nor did anyone else say it was happening to them, so I didn't know.

[quote name='neverletthem']Alright, cool, thanks. Never read anything about it, nor did anyone else say it was happening to them, so I didn't know.[/quote]

Lot of complaints in the newsgroup at connect.microsoft.com about it. I've been mingling through there and it's one of the more common complaints (Plus it's in the known issues section). Besides that I also see a lot of complaints about the party system not working for them, which has a work around to get it to work permanently.

I actually put on the leaked nxe, was pointless couldn't do anything, got the email yesterday from MS and got selected so messed around a bit with it, signed up for netflix, was streaming a documentary (which worked awesome) then all of a sudden shut off on me and wouldnt start back up, had my computer on, logged into netflix and everything.

Since I did some installing for Syn's list this morning, I went to get a more accurate estimation on the time it takes to install games to my HDD. After installing six to seven games, I averaged around 1 minute and 40 seconds per gig on installs. Of course this will most likely vary depending on which disk drive you have in your 360.

More or less clarifying as I said 5 (Gears 2) minutes initially as that's what it felt like the first time. Second time was around 10 (Mirror's Edge), but I lost track of the start time about halfway through.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thrustbucket']For everyone else that got screwed by USA today, there is a rumor that we may still get in on Monday. But by then, what's the point. USA dropped the ball big time here. Everyone I helped get in, got in. And I signed up before them.

I want to sue them for discrimination against badasses.[/quote]

how did you help them? I got the shaft from them too, got my email confirmation, sent in my info again and got that blank email back.

oh well. I'm bummed but it's not the end of the world.

For the guys that have the leaked NXE, does it somehow lock a specific system to the HDD the NXE is installed in or can I swap HDDs still to one that has the regular blades?

I've got two 360s (Elite and Pro). I use the Elite's HDD on the Pro system in the living room. I wanted to try and install the NXE, if I can find it, on the 20GB and use it on the Pro also and just switch HDDs after I get a look at it. I'm guessing that shouldn't cause any problems?

[quote name='YodaEXE']So, can anyone tell me where exactly the NXE themes are in the marketplace? I searched around but I wasn't really sure.[/QUOTE]

They are any who have the word "Premium". Unless they are easier to find in the new Marketplace, you actually need to know what theme it is. May I suggest going to the XBLA Thread on the top, just ctrl+f Premium and you should see the ones available.

As far as I know they have 3 Gears of War 2 NXE Themes and one for Vigilante 8. Unlike the GoW2 theme, the Premium for Vigilante 8 costs the same as the normal theme 150 MS points. Cause it just says Premium unlike the GoW where they added Premium between parentheses.

I'm late to the game but I'll give my thoughts

+ New Dashboard loads really quickly
+ No more guide button lag
+ New Dashboard boxart cards of XBLA and retail games look super sexy
+ Easy layout makes everything easy to navigate in general
+ Ability to burn games to Hard Drive makes cuts load times down by a bit for some games, and a lot for others. Also seems to improve draw distance/texture pop up (?)
+ Party Invite
+ Netflex gives everyone the ability to stream movies in HD for a relatively low cost
+ Avatars are actually pretty decent and painless to make
+ Almost everything in general is a improvement over the original Dashboard. I can't see why anyone would want to go back to the blades look.
+ Community Games gives everyone a chance to put their game up for sale and get recognition. Big props to MS on this one.

- Netflex over XBox just like the PC doesn't seem to offer the new releases. You'll still have to go the MS route and pay out the ass for movies like Iron Man (at 400+ points for the HD version)
- Party Invite (Yeah a plus and minus. Well to be on a friends list anyways, this is going to be the new mass spam invite that may soon get on everyones nerves. Gota remove that friend lol)
- The burn games to hard drive option will probably force a majority of people to upgrade to the 120gig or only be able to burn one or two games due to size.

I can't think of any other negatives at the moment.

The only thing I don't like so far is the dash starting out on the spotlight page instead of my gamercard. That's just another 'click' to get to where I need to be. Same for Arcade games. Seems like they are a couple more clicks to get to than before.

[quote name='Corvin']The only thing I don't like so far is the dash starting out on the spotlight page instead of my gamercard. That's just another 'click' to get to where I need to be. Same for Arcade games. Seems like they are a couple more clicks to get to than before.[/quote]
Yeah, I wish there was an option to set the default start point.

[quote name='ArJay2k8']You can shut the spotlight page off....[/quote]
No, I don't think so. I'm certain you're thinking of the "Welcome Channel."

[quote name='DestroVega']how did you help them? I got the shaft from them too, got my email confirmation, sent in my info again and got that blank email back.
[/QUOTE]
I just told them about it. Explained how it works. Explained where to get their serial number. All after I signed up. Now they are enjoying it.

[quote name='moojuice']
[/QUOTE]

Oh god. :roll:

Is there a site that has a list of available movies through Netflix's watch it now? I want to see what kind of movies the offer but don't want to join just to do it.

the night theme that comes with the update is awesome
like the other premium themes it changes the foreground color and gives ur friends a different background

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Is there a site that has a list of available movies through Netflix's watch it now? I want to see what kind of movies the offer but don't want to join just to do it.[/QUOTE]

Id like to know too.

Do you have to be in the US to use Netflix? If you live in Canada, can you pay monthly is there an option to use Netflix? There is no Netflix in Canada but I'd be happy to pay monthly for Netflix on XBL.

bread's done
Back