New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There are more premium themes up now for Tomb Raider, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Viva Pinata, Forza 2, Fable 2, Last Remnant, and Castle Crashers. All are 250 points.

I noticed that things I download or have downloaded aren't showing up with checkmarks in the marketplace.[/quote]

Yeah...just noticed that. Even for the Theme I have in the Background right now.

EDIT: How does one install a game to the hard drive?

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah...just noticed that. Even for the Theme I have in the Background right now.

EDIT: How does one install a game to the hard drive?[/QUOTE]

Press Y on the first option of My Xbox (the one that says the game in the drive).

[quote name='zewone']Press Y on the first option of My Xbox (the one that says the game in the drive).[/quote]

Thanks. I still find it annoying that the game immediately starts up whenever you put it in the tray. They need to fix that.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I can't get Neflix to work. The website keeps saying "invalid code". Where do you go to change themes now?[/quote]

Ditto. Netflix codes won't work.

GRRRR.....

[quote name='KingBroly']Thanks. I still find it annoying that the game immediately starts up whenever you put it in the tray. They need to fix that.[/QUOTE]

You can change it so it always boots to the dashboard and not the game...

[quote name='A Happy Panda']You can change it so it always boots to the dashboard and not the game...[/quote]

I mean when I'm on the dashboard and put the game in. I never leave the disc in the tray when the console is off. EVER.

[quote name='KingBroly']I mean when I'm on the dashboard and put the game in. I never leave the disc in the tray when the console is off. EVER.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can change that now in NXE.

My Xbox - System Settings - Console Settings - Auto Start disabled

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, you can change that now in NXE.

My Xbox - System Settings - Console Settings - Auto Start disabled[/quote]

Once I finish installing Halo 3 to the hard drive (THAT THAT BUNGIE!), I will check and see if this is true.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There are more premium themes up now for Tomb Raider, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Viva Pinata, Forza 2, Fable 2, Last Remnant, and Castle Crashers. All are 250 points.

I noticed that things I download or have downloaded aren't showing up with checkmarks in the marketplace.[/QUOTE]

I just saw that but it is giving me an error code. Do they show previews of what they look like? Thats the thing that always bothered me with buying themes or even getting them free. They would pretty much have a small banner ad showing what the theme would be and sometimes it would just be text. Is there like a preview picture?

[quote name='KingBroly']Once I finish installing Halo 3 to the hard drive (THAT THAT BUNGIE!), I will check and see if this is true.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck? Of course it's true, I just told you. Plus, it's been reported before by other people with the preview.

[quote name='zewone']What the fuck? Of course it's true, I just told you. Plus, it's been reported before by other people with the preview.[/quote]

Bungie said (or someone important said) Halo 3 runs better without being on the hard drive. That's why I said what I said.

As far as it not playing immediately...holy shit. It works. Hallelujah. At the same time though, it's eerie. Kinda like no noise from the 360 when the game is installed. I'm kinda dumbstruck by it. Also when I try to exit a game, for some reason, the disc tries to spin. That's weird, too.

Oh, and Xbox Live is giving me many, many Error Codes.

Looks like Sony is a bit Jealous that Microsoft has pulled off a great new experience, while their programmers can't even come close to getting "Home" out to the public.
Anybody who truly believes that this was done for legal reasons is out of their minds.
Sony is just pissed that Microsoft has much better programmers, and much better negotiations with companies like netflix.

[quote name='sunnysky']Looks like Sony is a bit Jealous that Microsoft has pulled off a great new experience, while their programmers can't even come close to getting "Home" out to the public.
Anybody who truly believes that this was done for legal reasons is out of their minds.
Sony is just pissed that Microsoft has much better programmers, and much better negotiations with companies like netflix.[/QUOTE]

What prompted this amazingly awesome and awe-inspiring post?

[quote name='bingbangboom']I just saw that but it is giving me an error code. Do they show previews of what they look like? Thats the thing that always bothered me with buying themes or even getting them free. They would pretty much have a small banner ad showing what the theme would be and sometimes it would just be text. Is there like a preview picture?[/quote]
I don't think there are previews for the premium themes, but those banners can have a taste of what it looks like, like they did before. Castle Crashers shows a bit of the custom backgrounds for friends in its banner. I agree that they should give a preview of some sort since they cost more than the normal themes.

Some more have been added since the last post like Rock Band 2, Sonic Unleashed, Call of Duty: World at War, and Guitar Hero World Tour.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Try it again, it happened with the music one and works fine. Video works fine too, just streamed Superbad from my computer and looked great. Just wish it had the coverflow thing with it. I havn't tried the photos and stuff though, should be ok I imagine.[/quote]
Yep, works now, thanks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think there are previews for the premium themes, but those banners can have a taste of what it looks like, like they did before. Castle Crashers shows a bit of the custom backgrounds for friends in its banner. I agree that they should give a preview of some sort since they cost more than the normal themes.

Some more have been added since the last post like Rock Band 2, Sonic Unleashed, Call of Duty: World at War, and Guitar Hero World Tour.[/QUOTE]

http://aceybongos.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!34EFB79E92974FD2!15433.entry

They pretty much show everything added today. The thing I never understood with Microsoft and game publishers is why not just offer the themes for free? Might get buzz going for the game or hold faithful till the sequal? same with gamer pics, there are free promotional ones but actual videogame companies don't do it.

[quote name='bingbangboom']http://aceybongos.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!34EFB79E92974FD2!15433.entry

They pretty much show everything added today. The thing I never understood with Microsoft and game publishers is why not just offer the themes for free? Might get buzz going for the game or hold faithful till the sequal? same with gamer pics, there are free promotional ones but actual videogame companies don't do it.[/QUOTE]

Because people paying for them makes them more money.

[quote name='zewone']Because people paying for them makes them more money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but then why do I get a Dark Knight picture and theme pack for free but for a Viva Pinata I have to pay? I understand that they want to make money, but this is considered direct marketing to your customers and it seems that videogame companies don't use it, other media or companies do. Subway advertises on XBL but Capcom wants you to pay for their advertisement?

The Avatar Games section of the marketplace shows Uno and Hardwood Hearts on there alongside Kingdom for Keflings, meaning that there should be updates for those now. Just started Uno and got the update.

Something is fucked up, it tells me I have to agree to the new terms of use to be on XBL...when I click view terms of use, nothing happens. I can back out, but my friends don't show up. I'm assuming other things are limited as well.

Another flawless update from MS.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Something is fucked up, it tells me I have to agree to the new terms of use to be on XBL...when I click view terms of use, nothing happens. I can back out, but my friends don't show up. I'm assuming other things are limited as well.

Another flawless update from MS.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit though, considering that it is pretty much a total revamp I would have to give MS a thumbs up. There is more stuff working than not working and seem to have delivered on a good experience. I do wish that the Netflix were working but I think it is on Netflix's end. Compared to Nintendo and Sony, it has taken forever to get any sort of update and nothing like this.

[quote name='CheapyD']Not sure if you guys have checked this out yet:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/
You can add shit to your download queue from there

Edit: It's kind of busted...[/QUOTE]

Finally, all they need is a iphone app to put really over the top. Not sure how well Microsoft would be with doing that, but I mean Google has their own phone and has some of the best apps. Here is what it should have...

* XBL Friends Updates w/ Status
* XBL Marketplace w/ download queue
* XBL Messaging
* XBL Spotlight updates for new demos, movies, etc.

So having the ability to queue up your downloads before you get home would be great.

[quote name='CheapyD']Not sure if you guys have checked this out yet:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/
You can add shit to your download queue from there

Edit: It's kind of busted...[/quote]
Saw that earlier when there was nothing to add yet, but now it's just giving me a 500 error. I did like that they have my download history on there, so instead of scrolling down the list of the hundreds of items I've downloaded that has to refresh every 25 or so items I scroll through, I can just queue up a redownload from the much more simple browser version.

I have a weird bug with one of my Fallout 3 PC Achievements (Finding The Garden Of Eden) not showing the Achievement Picture when I look at the game profile on my Xbox 360 now. 2 other Achievements I got after it do show the pictures and in the Xbox Live PC games list all the pictures are showing up so I am not sure what happened.

[quote name='KingBroly']So what are everyone's guesses about this year's free XBLA game because XBL experienced major downtime?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will be anything like that, it is a system update and I think that is to be expected. They will basically say it is a gift to have the NXE itself.

[quote name='KingBroly']So what are everyone's guesses about this year's free XBLA game because XBL experienced major downtime?[/QUOTE]

They will probably start giving out free Premium Themes rather than games now.

interesting... made my avatar look like my avatar on CAG which is Bryan Fury... surprised at how close I could get him. I'll be playing with it more later when I get home today.

RelntlssRolento.png

My only major complaint is that i want 'My Xbox' to be the first thing i see, not Spotlight.

Yep. I posted this last week when I got in. My biggest complaint by far. I'd also like to see 'Friends' right above or below 'My Xbox' instead of 3-4 'clicks' away.

Is there any month trial codes for Netflix floating around? Would like to give Netflix a whirl, but am a bit sad Sony had to take their stuff down.

[quote name='Corvin']Yep. I posted this last week when I got in. My biggest complaint by far. I'd also like to see 'Friends' right above or below 'My Xbox' instead of 3-4 'clicks' away.[/QUOTE]

I think that the best thing they could do is make the "X" bubble button a My Xbox button by double tapping it. Quick double press just brings you to that, would be easy and just as slick for function use, especially if you are in some marketplace menus.

Keep trying to activate my streaming device for netflix but it keeps giving me some "code expired" bs when i try to use the code live gives me. Guess i'll wait a bit and try again.

[quote name='Goodeye']Netflix activation is up for the time being guys activate while you can![/QUOTE]

Yeah I got in, thanks!

I think with the netflix stuff, you need to be signed in your account. It doesn't need to be the same email. But they give you a code and it syncs them together. Not sure if you can have more than one xbox either.

[quote name='bingbangboom']

I think with the netflix stuff, you need to be signed in your account. It doesn't need to be the same email. But they give you a code and it syncs them together. Not sure if you can have more than one xbox either.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Also once you update the device, on the Queue they leave notes if they can be played on the NXE. Some dissapointments are Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox Story and The Tick TV show. :/ fuck you Sony

I got my netflix up and running so cool worth the 8 bucks a month. Looking thru what they had its not that bad, I can't help wondering how many queued up Karma Sutra in the Special Intrests section lulz

bread's done
Back