New Xbox Titles Compatible with 360?

CTLesq

CAGiversary!
Hi

I realize that not all of the older Xbox titles are compatible with the 360 and there is a list on Xbox.com which tells you which of the older titles are compatible with the 360.

But what about some of the newer titles such as Black? Is there any guidance from Microsoft as to wether original Xbox titles produced after a certain date can be played without issue on the 360?

[quote name='CTLesq']Hi

I realize that not all of the older Xbox titles are compatible with the 360 and there is a list on Xbox.com which tells you which of the older titles are compatible with the 360.

But what about some of the newer titles such as Black? Is there any guidance from Microsoft as to wether original Xbox titles produced after a certain date can be played without issue on the 360?[/QUOTE]

If it's not on the list, it's not playable. Expect an update to the list sometime in March.

[quote name='shipwreck']If it's not on the list, it's not playable. Expect an update to the list sometime in March.[/QUOTE]

That would be the definitive answer I was hoping for! Thanks!

who knows. we'll see when black comes out. You can't just refer to them as "newer" games. Certain games are just more compatible than others.

It'd be nice if they could get Morrowind: GOTY and Doom 3 to work on the 360. I sold off my regular Xbox before I got to play these :whistle2:(.

[quote name='shipwreck']If it's not on the list, it's not playable. Expect an update to the list sometime in March.[/QUOTE]
WTF, not until March? Seriously?

That's major lameness.

I'm a bit confused as to whay all games don't work. Doesn't an emulator just make the game think it is running on an original xbox? Doesn't it just emulate the original xbox hardware? If that's the case, how does the 360 know which games are good?

I'm assuming there is some sort of txt file that lists the approved games. So, wouldn't it be possible to edit this file and add other xbox game names to the list? I know I'm oversimplifying the process, but according to xbox.com, the emulator is just a 5mb file download.

I think this is all a Marketing thing on there part so they can sell more 360 games while semi-appeasing the gaming crowd that wants backwards compatibility.

Sorry to rant, I just bought a 360 last week thinking I could play all my xbox games on it. I had been out of the 360 loop and just found out yesterday that only a limited amount of games would work, and upon checking the list, only 1 of about 15 games I have works (Halo 2).

I guess i will hang onto my original xbox a little longer. :roll:

EDIT: Nevermind, I just did some more research to find that there is a 5mb download for each game. THIS SUCKS!

uh no, emulation is never 100%.

games are not always programmed in the same fashion and don't always use the same engines. Conspiracy theories are pretty retarded. MS has already stopped production of the original Xbox

Just think having to port games from PC over to Mac. Often it takes well over a year or more. the old Xbox uses an x86 processor while the new 360 uses a power pc processor like the old macs. Not to mention multicore....

There is a common thread to which games work now and which don't. I don't know what it is exactly, but I would bet knowing the engine the game is built on would tell you whether or not a new game would work. It may not be exact, but it would probably be a good indicator.

Bottomline, I wouldn't bet on it. But I bet a game like Black will get a patch sooner rather than later. I'm really hoping for a 360 version down the line. I believe the Criterion guys said it was a possibility if the game does well. Of course, it might just be a sequel and a couple years from now.

[quote name='Zoglog'] Conspiracy theories are pretty retarded. [/QUOTE]

Gee I wonder why the XBOX flagship Halo/Halo2 happen to make it, yet just about every other crappy game made for the xbox makes it as well.

It all comes down to the $$$$. Xbox wants to sell 360's and 360 games. If everyone is buying the 360 and just playing their original games, Microsoft wouldn't make as much $$.

I doubt Barbie Horse Adventures Wild Horse Rescue, BMX XXX, Chicago Enforcer, Egg Mania or Ford vs Chevy just to name a few were designed in any way similar to Halo/Halo 2. I didn't see too many 8 year old girls standing in line to get their 360 so they could play barbie.

Also, xbox has said they were going to convert/emulate the most popular games. Where did they get this "Most Popular Games" list? Wouldn't they maybe start with "Platinum Hits". These are after all their best selling games.

I'm sure it's a difficult task to emulate these games, but I also think they could do a better job of choosing games that gamers want. Not too many 360 purchasers were hoping for the crappy ass games on that list. It's not really that big of a deal to me, as I plan to use my 360 mostly for music/pics/video, but there are some xbox games I have not opened yet that I had planned to play on the 360. Doom 3 and Oddworld Strangers Wrath to name a couple. :cry:

well from what I have read, the barbie game as well as a few others all had similiar engines to a top selling game. So it was very easy for the barbie and a few others to be emulated on the xbox 360..Not only is it a different processing setup, the graphic card is a different company. That is one of the main reasons why they all aren't b/c, as the original games had code for the nvidia graphic card, and the xbox 360 uses ATI

It's not really that big of a deal to me, as I plan to use my 360 mostly for music/pics/video,

So should I be expecting a post started by you where you complain when you realize that only Media Center PC's can stream videos?

:bomb: I picked up a cheapo copy of World Series Baseball 2K3 today. It's supposed to be the only baseball game playable on the 360. I've been wanting to play some ball and need to learn the WSB controls so I was happy with this instead of spending more for a newer baseball game on the GC.

I throw the game into my 360, sit down and see: not compatible blah blah check the list blah blah blah. version 1.2..........

I've done all the updates, this blows.:bomb:

It's on the list.....
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Anyone else have this game?

Makes me wonder whether or not I should pick up Black, seeing that I gave my brother my xbox =\.

[quote name='$hady']:bomb: I picked up a cheapo copy of World Series Baseball 2K3 today. It's supposed to be the only baseball game playable on the 360. I've been wanting to play some ball and need to learn the WSB controls so I was happy with this instead of spending more for a newer baseball game on the GC.

I throw the game into my 360, sit down and see: not compatible blah blah check the list blah blah blah. version 1.2..........

I've done all the updates, this blows.:bomb:

It's on the list.....
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Anyone else have this game?[/QUOTE]

Note to $hady:

231810.jpg
is not
215083.jpg

All Star Baseball 2003 is on the list, not World Series Baseball 2K3.

I'm not sure what's up with your link, but on mine (the same exact link), WSB2K3 isn't on there.

# Ty the Tasmanian Tiger™ 2: Bush Rescue™
# Ty the Tasmanian Tiger™ 3: Night of the Quinkan
# Urban Freestyle Soccer
# Vexx
# Worms 4: Mayhem
# Worms Forts Under Siege
# WWE Raw 2
# XIII

//edit: AHHHH. You're using an old link. Replace the US in the link with a GB. Here's a link to the updated list. Some games were removed.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

What the hell, I just tried again and it's on my list.....

Xbox.com

games (top left)

BC (bottom right)

Xbox Games Playable on Xbox 360

and it's on that list........

Nevermind I see where you got your list from, it's the United Kingdom version. So that is the new list for us as well? Both were updated in December..#-o

[quote name='$hady']Nevermind I see where you got your list from, it's the United Kingdom version. So that is the new list for us as well? Both were updated in December..#-o[/QUOTE]

It's the one I go by, it seems more accurate than the US list. I guess i'll change that. My fault.

LOL what a freaking joke I see why I couldn't get WSB2K3 to work..........

From the "Backward Compatibility Technical Support and Known Issues" on Xbox.com just two tabs down from the BC list.

List updated: February 3, 2006
World Series® Baseball 2K3
This game was supposed to be on the list but is not.

It's still on the damn master bc list as working though, what a load of crap they could at least take it off the list since they know it doesn't work. They've update the list recently as well adding Allstar Baseball just last week. Untill that time this game was the only baseball game that was SUPPOSED to be playable on the 360. I wonder how many people like me bought it....:bomb:

[quote name='hotwls13']Gee I wonder why the XBOX flagship Halo/Halo2 happen to make it, yet just about every other crappy game made for the xbox makes it as well.

It all comes down to the $$$$. Xbox wants to sell 360's and 360 games. If everyone is buying the 360 and just playing their original games, Microsoft wouldn't make as much $$.

I doubt Barbie Horse Adventures Wild Horse Rescue, BMX XXX, Chicago Enforcer, Egg Mania or Ford vs Chevy just to name a few were designed in any way similar to Halo/Halo 2. I didn't see too many 8 year old girls standing in line to get their 360 so they could play barbie.

Also, xbox has said they were going to convert/emulate the most popular games. Where did they get this "Most Popular Games" list? Wouldn't they maybe start with "Platinum Hits". These are after all their best selling games.

I'm sure it's a difficult task to emulate these games, but I also think they could do a better job of choosing games that gamers want. Not too many 360 purchasers were hoping for the crappy ass games on that list. It's not really that big of a deal to me, as I plan to use my 360 mostly for music/pics/video, but there are some xbox games I have not opened yet that I had planned to play on the 360. Doom 3 and Oddworld Strangers Wrath to name a couple. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You are correct that Microsoft is motivated by money but incorrect as to the situation. It isn't as simple as picking which games they want to run under emulation. Logically they want ALL of them to run, especially newer games.

Think about it. MS makes their money from sales of software, both their own and production royalties from third party titles. The hardware is sold at a loss because the revenue potential from the software is so great when everything comes together correctly. Right now the X360 represent a very small user base compared to the original Xbox. A major hit on the Xbox can easily sell enough units to exceed the entire worldwide installed base of the 360. OTOH, the 360 can be viewed as expanding the Xbox's installed base if a game can be made to run under emulation. The X360 user base could add tens or even hundreds of thousands of unit sales to a major Xbox title.much as the PS2 greatly extended the reach of the most popular PS1 games. So is is entirely in Microsoft's favor to make every game run, especially newer ones that would generate new revenue.

The problem is that emulation is hard. Even though the hardware of those old arcade units is decades old with code bases measured in kilobytes, it took several years for MAME to really become a solid and reliable app. The gap between the Xbox and the hosting 360 is far smaller than that between a 1981 arcade machine and a 1999 PC.

Microsoft started with Halo since it is the flagship of the Xbox. From there they tested to see what games would run and added those to the list. Then they sought to address the area of the emulator that was the most common point of failure and added a few more games to the list. And so on. It didn't what the games were. Every time they have a new version of the emulator the entire list has to be tested since there is always the risk that some existing titles on the list could stop working. Such is life for software testers. It's an extremely laborious and time intensive process. If Microsoft had final Xbox 360 hardware available a year before launch they probably still wouldn't able to run everything. The list would merely be longer and more satisfactory than it is now.

Give them a chance. March may add a lot to the list of supported titles or may add only a few. But don't think they aren't trying for the former.

bread's done
Back