New York City or Washington DC CAGS help me plan a trip!

magictoilet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
So basically, my Dad has decided to take my brother (18) and me (16) to go to New York city/near it to visit Ground Zero, Empire state building, statue of liberty, etc for two days. My dad is renting a car there so we can drive around. Is that a good idea because in movies and news there are a ton of traffic jams. After that we are going to Washington DC for a few days as well. I need help on which places to go first, what other fun things we can do (nintendo store? or cheap game shops/cheap places to buy electronics or just guy things).

Sorry for the jumble, any help of which places to go, which order to make everyting on the way etc. is appreciated thanks!

[quote name='magictoilet']So basically, my Dad has decided to take my brother (18) and me (16) to go to New York city/near it to visit Ground Zero, Empire state building, statue of liberty, etc for two days. My dad is renting a car there so we can drive around. Is that a good idea because in movies and news there are a ton of traffic jams. After that we are going to Washington DC for a few days as well. I need help on which places to go first, what other fun things we can do (nintendo store? or cheap game shops/cheap places to buy electronics or just guy things).

Sorry for the jumble, any help of which places to go, which order to make everyting on the way etc. is appreciated thanks![/QUOTE]

ok although im not a native of NYC, i can tell you from some experiances of my rescent trips up there. If I were you, take the train around the city. Parking is so expensive up there. If you got the legs, walk around the city..there is lots to see, espically when you hit times square. Hit up the TRU, Virgin megastore (dont bring a jacket or heavy clothing as you will sweat under the heat lamps), FYE, Rockafella center, the Nintendo store is ok..nothing big though. Street food is pretty good. You can get a descent meal for about 3-4 bucks. Then of course theres the pizza hmmmmmm...seems the futher you get away from times square , the better the pizza it is and the cheaper it is.

DC is ok, lots of museums to look at, but not as close as the stuff in nyc. Watch out for those "helpers" who watch the exits of the metro stations to see if your a tourist , then they will come in and ask you were your trying to find and then ask for money for there service.

PM me if you want more info.

Also not a native of NYC, I can tell you a couple things. DO NOT RENT CAR IN NYC. A Train can take you everywhere and traffic is a bitch in Manhattan. ITDEFX listed good places to go, and you are 16: try and get on TRL, if you can See Letterman or Conan. Just go to Times Square.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Also not a native of NYC, I can tell you a couple things. DO NOT RENT CAR IN NYC. A Train can take you everywhere and traffic is a bitch in Manhattan. ITDEFX listed good places to go, and you are 16: try and get on TRL, if you can See Letterman or Conan. Just go to Times Square.[/QUOTE]

only problem is that hes going for 2 days... as someone who has tried no less than 3 times to see conan obrian in stand by tickets, its going to waste one of your days, why? cause you will have to be at rockafella studios atleast at 4:45am, then wait in line til 9am for the tickets, then come back at 3:45 and wait another hour to see if you got in, I was number 2 once and still never got it as everyone who ordered there tickets showed up :( You will be tired from that 4 hr wait so you might spend the day sleeping and storing engery on the "if" you get in later that day.

Funny thing is that my cousin actually lives around the corner from where they tape Letterman. If I was a letterman fan, I would see him, but I am a leno fan myself so meh.

Take the train, its kinda neat.. but dont take a camera and take pictures or else the natives will get pissed at you on the subway :O

Which places should I go first and in order to save time? My dad wants us to visit the historical land marks too, I will DEFINITELY visit some of the places you listed, thanks a lot for your tips. Any other help is welcomed.

[quote name='magictoilet']Which places should I go first and in order to save time? My dad wants us to visit the historical land marks too, I will DEFINITELY visit some of the places you listed, thanks a lot for your tips. Any other help is welcomed.[/QUOTE]

oh well thats easy...

Historical stuff=DC/VA
Fun/expensive stuff=NYC

As I'm sure it's been said, renting a car in NYC is one of the DUMBEST things you could do. DC though, cars arent bad there. We drive to both. DC is much easier to drive in.

bread's done
Back