New York Comic Con

Can anyone give a brief overview of what actually goes on at a Comic Con? I used to collect comics as a kid and also want to check it out just to experience it at least once in my life, but I'll be bringing my girlfriend along. For example, I see major comic book films (Captain America, Iron Man 2) where the actors sit on a panel and have a discussion. Is that open to the regular public?

[quote name='Kendro']Can anyone give a brief overview of what actually goes on at a Comic Con? I used to collect comics as a kid and also want to check it out just to experience it at least once in my life, but I'll be bringing my girlfriend along. For example, I see major comic book films (Captain America, Iron Man 2) where the actors sit on a panel and have a discussion. Is that open to the regular public?[/QUOTE]

That's San Diego's Comic Con. New York is more low-key. There's some b level and older celebrities, people selling comics, toys, statues, collectibles, and a bunch of artists. I went last year and enjoyed myself even though I'm not hugely into comics. I can't make the trip this year though.

As for a video games kiosk, last year Nintendo had a setup that was pretty crowded. It was kind of lame, I don't think they were even showing new unreleased things, just stuff that was out on the market at the time.

This year they are having some decent panels. Robot Chicken, a bunch of other Adult Swim shows including Venture brothers. This year it also includes the Anime show. They have the entire Javits center this year.

Activision has a huge booth at this con. Walking Dead Panel, V, Vamprire Diaries, Nikita,
http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

[quote name='Kendro']Can anyone give a brief overview of what actually goes on at a Comic Con? I used to collect comics as a kid and also want to check it out just to experience it at least once in my life, but I'll be bringing my girlfriend along. For example, I see major comic book films (Captain America, Iron Man 2) where the actors sit on a panel and have a discussion. Is that open to the regular public?[/QUOTE]

You can go there to check out panels or just to meet artists and writers that you follow. I would personally go there to get their signatures and get stuff witness and CGC'd. There are always cosplay going on so you get to see some pretty interesting stuff there. Imagine a convention to be 24/7 Halloween party.

anyone going to the anime expo to and ps i am going we should have a CAG meet up

and anyone know if u can buy costumes at the anime expo because i bought a naruto one but i will not get it till the 9th so i need to buy one because its my first and i want to dress-up

I was there today. Took the ferry over from Weehawken with a friend of mine, but man the place was crowded! As we were walking up they were telling everyone Saturday was sold out. Fortunately we had our tickets already. The dealer's room was so packed it was tough to navigate. I did manage to pick up some Minimates at the Diamond Booth and some real nice (and cheap) original art from old issues of Exiles and Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man at a place called Artist's Choice. I wish I had the cash to get some of the Olivier Coipel stuff they had from Siege but it was out of my price range.

Nice on the Exiles pages, and yeah it was crowded today-ended up leaving after 3 hours. Picked up a Cap print and sketchbook from Steve Epting and a Kitty Pryde one from Mark Brooks. I should have tried to sell my Weekend pass on the way out.

bread's done
Back