Newb questions, please help.

ns27

CAGiversary!
I'm planning on getting the 40gb ps3 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the purpose of "the multi-format card reader," and "SACD support?" I plan on watching downloaded movies from my computer on the ps3 and one of the ways to do it is with a flash drive, right? I don't want to end up not being able to do so, so please help. Anything else that was omitted from the 40gb model, please let me know, besides of course, backwards compatibility. I know these questions are retarded but I'm pretty dumb with computers. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Anybody use VLC media player and know if it can be used on the Ps3?

It has USB ports (2 right?) so that is all you'll really need if you are going to use a USB flash drive (though it has to be in the right format I think).

The memory stick reader isn't a big issue for doing what you want to. Basically it was for taking the sticks out of your PSP/Camera and so on and putting it directly in the PS3.

Only thing you have to worry about is converting your movies to play on the PS3 because it can't read all file types (I hope they will fix that later). There are converting programs out there like PS3 Video 9 that are useful and FREE. I'll post the format link in second.

>>>Here you go.

he following types of files can be played under
in_video.gif
(Video).
  • Memory Stick Video Format
  • - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
  • MP4 file format
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
  • AVI
  • - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
  • - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
  • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)

Get the 60GB version instead! It's only a $100 more and most retailers are giving you two games or a game and a controller with the system. That's a much better deal than the 40GB, and the 60GB is a better system overall.

Thanks Nam, your help is greatly appreciated and Duck, I know the 60gb is just a $100 more, but I'm a cheap ass.

[quote name='ns27']Thanks Nam, your help is greatly appreciated and Duck, I know the 60gb is just a $100 more, but I'm a cheap ass.[/quote]

Cheap dumb ass! $100 gets you at least 1 game, probably 2, plus you get backwards compatibility and built in wi-fi (does the 40GB version have wifi?). It's a no-brainer.

[quote name='the ender']Cheap dumb ass! $100 gets you at least 1 game, probably 2, plus you get backwards compatibility and built in wi-fi (does the 40GB version have wifi?). It's a no-brainer.[/quote] its not a no brainer. what if he doesnt want any of the games availble for free?
the 40gb has wifi but no BC. he prob already has a ps2.

OP just use a reader/writer thing and plug it into the USB port, works the same as the reader( i dont even use mine, i got the 60gb)

[quote name='Furashu']OP just use a reader/writer thing and plug it into the USB port, works the same as the reader( i dont even use mine, i got the 60gb)[/quote]

Yeah that is another good suggestion. If you some reason, you need to use another type of memory storage format other then USB, get your self a USB adaptor.

[quote name='Furashu']its not a no brainer. what if he doesnt want any of the games availble for free?
the 40gb has wifi but no BC. he prob already has a ps2.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Heavenly Sword is one of the games being offered. I haven't played it yet, but it looks great and the only negative comment I ever heard was that it was too short. I wouldn't mind getting that for free.

Another option is to stream media to your PS3. If your PS3 is going to be on the network with your PC then it's a good option. That's how I got my decent sized selection of MP3s ont my PS3. And movies and pictures should work that way also.

Thanks guys, I do in fact still have my ps2 and I plan to keep it, and I've been eyeing that 40gb for awhile. A usb adaptor seems like the right thing to use. I'm interested in Heavenly Sword, but for me to get it for free only to play it a few times, I might as well just rent it.

[quote name='ns27']Thanks guys, I do in fact still have my ps2 and I plan to keep it, and I've been eyeing that 40gb for awhile. A usb adaptor seems like the right thing to use. I'm interested in Heavenly Sword, but for me to get it for free only to play it a few times, I might as well just rent it.[/quote]

yeah because ud only play it once then prob not play it for more then 5 hours again, its about a 7 hour game.
40gb is a great way to go if u dont want the games offered and dont care for Backwards compatablity.

[quote name='Duckbutt']Get the 60GB version instead! It's only a $100 more and most retailers are giving you two games or a game and a controller with the system. That's a much better deal than the 40GB, and the 60GB is a better system overall.[/quote]

Which retailers are doing this??

I know Circuit City, Walmart and Best Buy have deals for the 60GB. I'm not sure if anybody else is doing it.

Something else came to mind... Is anyone familiar with VLC media player? I use it to watch foreign movies with subtitles. Anyways, is it possible to install that onto your ps3 seeing as how DIVX is supported? Thanks in advance.

The 40GB PS3 does play PS1 games though, because it doesn't require any chip to run them.

IMO, the 40GB is still a good purchase. What it's missing is:
-Card readers (SD Card, Memory Stick Pro, and Compact Flash)
-Just two USB ports
-No PS2 BC.
-Cannot play SACDs.

If you need more USB ports, you can get a USB hub. If you want card readers, you can buy them (although they aren't needed IMO).

I own a 20GB and while I like it, my two big problems with it are 20GB is not enough (40GB would be a lot better) and it doesn't have WiFi like the 40GB (I definitely could use WiFi). To some extent, I wish I had a 40GB over my 20GB (mostly because of WiFi though).

40GB is still a great deal because it has WiFi, plays blu-ray, plays PS3/PS1 games, and does pretty much all the same things the other PS3 models do.
[quote name='Duckbutt']Get the 60GB version instead! It's only a $100 more and most retailers are giving you two games or a game and a controller with the system. That's a much better deal than the 40GB, and the 60GB is a better system overall.[/QUOTE]
60GB consoles are pretty much gone now (last place who had them I know of is Sam's Club, but they are $550 there with MotorStorm), even in areas that had tons of them. Most of the ones you'll find now (which are open boxed), used, or sitting on a store shelf for a while are usually dead on arrival (not trying to sound harsh, but there seems to be a high number of people who got a 60GB not too long ago, used/sitting on a store shelf for a while) and ended up not working. 80GB on the other hand can be found.

bread's done
Back