NewEgg - 320GB 2.5" SATA hard drive (PS3 compatible) $113 w/ free shipping

[quote name='sixspeednissan']What else would I need to copy everything over to the new drive?[/quote]
yes, it would be best to make a backup onto another hard drive. an ipod or any type of mp3 player 40gb and up should work fine aswell to backup the ps3. it really depends on how much space you are using up already.

Is it possible to transfer over is your save game data? Does anybody know if there is a good written process on how to do this? I don't plan on upgrading now (I have a 80 gig not close to full) but a few years down the line I would be interested and I'm sure many others have the same question. :)

Good deal though never the less.

[quote name='vanlandw']Is it possible to transfer over is your save game data? Does anybody know if there is a good written process on how to do this? I don't plan on upgrading now (I have a 80 gig not close to full) but a few years down the line I would be interested and I'm sure many others have the same question. :)

Good deal though never the less.[/quote]Plug in an external hard drive that's at least as big as the drive size you're trying to back up.
Format the external hard drive on the PS3.
Run the backup.
Swap the drive.
Restore the contents of the old drive from the external hard drive.

That's the Cliff Notes version of it, though some Google searches should find you what you're looking for in more detail.

Good price, but the 400G is coming out soon, so the 320 and 250 will drop even more, just like the 120 and 160s did.

[quote name='lucao']good price, but any standard laptop works on the ps3[/quote]

uh yeah but I wanted to make the title more obvious than 2.5" SATA 320GB hard drive :p

[quote name='pun123']Good price, but the 400G is coming out soon, so the 320 and 250 will drop even more, just like the 120 and 160s did.[/quote]

this isn't a drop though, it seems to be a sale since they say good through 7/31

right now 250GB drives cost about this much so if you don't want to wait a few more months this is probably the best deal for a large hard drive we'll see for a while

[quote name='shrike4242']Plug in an external hard drive that's at least as big as the drive size you're trying to back up.
Format the external hard drive on the PS3.
Run the backup.
Swap the drive.
Restore the contents of the old drive from the external hard drive.

That's the Cliff Notes version of it, though some Google searches should find you what you're looking for in more detail.[/quote]

I don't think you have to format as long as your external drive is already formatted to the FAT 32 file system

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Miz-Zou']great find I was thinking about this one or spend $10 more for the WD Scorpio. Hmmm?[/quote]For the $10 difference, I'd go with the Scorpio, IMO.

Here's the quick way -- I've done this a few times.

Get an external, USB Hard-Drive and format it Fat-32.

On the hard drive create a folder named PS3

Run the backup process.

Swap the Hard Drives

Restore the backup.

The PS3 directory may not be necessary, but it is if you want to move save data on a Thumb drive from one PS3 to another. Or... if you want to download user created themes on the web, and want to load them on your PS3.

I also run all of my system updates this way -- download the update at work and install it from the Thumb drive when I'm at home. Saves me fighting everyone else who is updating... and any general internet connection flakiness.

Note -- while you are at it pick up an external enclosure for the old drive. It's nice to have around and you can back up your important PS3 files on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='daminion']Here's the quick way -- I've done this a few times.

Get an external, USB Hard-Drive and format it Fat-32.

On the hard drive create a folder named PS3

Run the backup process.

Swap the Hard Drives

Restore the backup.

The PS3 directory may not be necessary, but it is if you want to move save data on a Thumb drive from one PS3 to another. Or... if you want to download user created themes on the web, and want to load them on your PS3.

I also run all of my system updates this way -- download the update at work and install it from the Thumb drive when I'm at home. Saves me fighting everyone else who is updating... and any general internet connection flakiness.

Note -- while you are at it pick up an external enclosure for the old drive. It's nice to have around and you can back up your important PS3 files on it.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure when you use the backup utility on the PS3 it will create the necissary folders for you on the thumb drive. It's only when you are doing something from a PC to the PS3 (like system updates) you need to worry about the folders. Just from my experience changing the HDD a couple times on 40gb and 80 gb systems.

Also I noticed when I changed the HD on the 40gb for some reason I needed a backup up the latest system update on a thumb drive (downloaded from a PC using the correct folder system) before it would allow me to format the new HD.

Im in dire need of space on my PS3...im out of space with 2 user names. Game installs, PSN Games, MP3's, and video trailers. I need space >.>; So the WD Scorpio..?

[quote name='Superfan']Anyone knows if this works on macbooks? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes it does, as long as you format it by FAT32 with Windows, or any of the options available in Mac OS X's Disk Utility depending if you want it as a storage drive or an actual bootable drive. Don't format in NTFS since OSX Tiger and Leopard can read them, but not write. I'm not sure if Vista's new exFat format will work either. I just ordered one of these babies and got it today. Currently in the process of upgrading my 80GB Macbook HDD to this 320 GB.

[quote name='CounterSeal']Yes it does, as long as you format it by FAT32 with Windows, or any of the options available in Mac OS X's Disk Utility depending if you want it as a storage drive or an actual bootable drive. Don't format in NTFS since OSX Tiger and Leopard can read them, but not write. I'm not sure if Vista's new exFat format will work either. I just ordered one of these babies and got it today. Currently in the process of upgrading my 80GB Macbook HDD to this 320 GB.[/QUOTE]
You can't boot off it into OS X if you format it FAT32. You'll need to format it HFS+. If you want to install Windows on it, you can use BootCamp to partition the drive after you've installed Leopard. Just install the drive into your macbook, boot up with the OS X install disc, and select the drive to install it on. The installer should take care of the rest.

Hm, 80GB is enough for my PS3, but I feel too restricted on my 120GB MacBook Pro, might bite on this if I'm willing to open it up again.

[quote name='xboxxer']oog, for the guy who wants to put this in his mbp, i don't think it's a trivial thing to do.

pretty much involves partially disassembling the mbp.

instructions begin here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Mac...uo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/85/8/Page-1/Battery

was thinking about it, until i read this guide.[/quote]

I've replaced mine once already, from the stock 80GB 5400rpm to a 120GB 7200rpm, it isn't that hard, just be careful with the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the logic board.

[quote name='menikmati']I've replaced mine once already, from the stock 80GB 5400rpm to a 120GB 7200rpm, it isn't that hard, just be careful with the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the logic board.[/QUOTE]

also, the rubber washers that go on the hard drive are a bitch..they break very easily.

bread's done
Back