Newegg - AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable $109.99

Good capture card I prefer this one over all externals like elgato, pvr2 and Roxio. I have tried and returned all trying to find the best one for live streaming.. Then I got the internal live gamer hd which has the same specs as this external one. This one is fairly small for portability and easy to set up. Works fairly well with xsplit.. I think in obs you had to do a screen cap but I'm unsure. Reminder there will be a delay 1000ms equal one second on the capture card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought one of these from Amazon during Black Friday. I'd be kicking myself if I wasn't already in the RMA process to get my DOA unit replaced. (´・ω・`)

are game streaming devices still worth this much now that most of the next gen consoles will be able to do it themselves? this is the exact model I was eyeing up a year ago, but I don't know whether it's worth the price or not if it'd be strictly for PC and last gen.

not trying to be snarky or anything. seeking advice since I'm really confused about how important these things will be in the near future.

If you want to be able to edit your videos then yeah, these still have a use. But if you're fine with the streaming/recording capabilities of the next get consoles, then no.

Yes for XB1, "not yet" for PS4. PS4 has HDCP still, so you need to somehow strip it (i.e. HDMI > DVI > HDMI). They have said they will do some sort of firmware/software update to allow these external devices to record via HDMI. Though this doesn't seem set in stone.

that's what I thought I heard, but I didn't want to mangle the details and spread false info. thanks for all the help, guys!

are game streaming devices still worth this much now that most of the next gen consoles will be able to do it themselves? this is the exact model I was eyeing up a year ago, but I don't know whether it's worth the price or not if it'd be strictly for PC and last gen.

not trying to be snarky or anything. seeking advice since I'm really confused about how important these things will be in the near future.
While the capture/streaming quality of the PS4 and Xb1 is "decent", since it auto compresses the video a dedicated capture card is still the best option atm.

Now if you don't want the absolut best video quality, there really is no reason to get one of these if all you plan to do is stream from a current-gen console.

You won't even have much control for PS4 and Xbox One streaming off the consoles. 

If you want control of how your stream looks and manage/edit videos, these are necessary.

Use a hdmi splitter I got a Sewell one on amazon 1 input and 2 out. Switchers don't work, this is how I stream from the ps3 right now with my internal capture card that is hdmi only. Works great there's videos on YouTube this will work with the ps4.

Good luck guys, great card when it works. Absolutely love the option to copy to SD card, but had one crap out on me after 1 month, and the replacement had problems as well.

Use a hdmi splitter I got a Sewell one on amazon 1 input and 2 out. Switchers don't work, this is how I stream from the ps3 right now with my internal capture card that is hdmi only. Works great there's videos on YouTube this will work with the ps4.
There are numerous reports now claiming that the new Sewell splitters now no longer bypass HDCP. So I wouldn't recommend getting that one.

[quote name="option.iv" post="11332478" timestamp="1386570806"]
There are numerous reports now claiming that the new Sewell splitters now no longer bypass HDCP. So I wouldn't recommend getting that one.[/quote]
Pretty sure it's just a rumor when YouTube videos are saying to order it. I heard the viewhd one works too on amazon reviews for stripping hdcp. If it shipped by amazon or fulfilled by amazon what's the point when you can just return it anyways.

Pretty sure it's just a rumor when YouTube videos are saying to order it. I heard the viewhd one works too on amazon reviews for stripping hdcp. If it shipped by amazon or fulfilled by amazon what's the point when you can just return it anyways.
I ordered the ViewHD one and it should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back whether it works with the PS4 and for HDMI captures on PS3.

The issue I found with a lot of these recommendations for splitters is that the retailer's stock has changed over time. So a splitter that might have worked from a batch in October is actually a different brand than the one being sold now via that same amazon link and the new one doesn't work.

It's also possible that these things are all cheep Hong Kong knock off splitters and the HDMI stripping is more of a side effect and less of a "feature". Whether yours works or not could be hit or miss based on chance.

The other option is the Monoprice DVI -> HDMI http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2
It's more expensive but will probably be more reliable. I took the chance on the splitter because of price though.

I bought an Elgato sort of as an impulse buy from BBY. I'm not sure whether or not I'm gonna keep it for myself or just sell it on eBay, but...

What are the benefits of grabbing this over the Elgato? It's $10 more and the reviews seem middling. Most have to do with it breaking. Is it just better than the Elgato when it works or??

Yes for XB1, "not yet" for PS4. PS4 has HDCP still, so you need to somehow strip it (i.e. HDMI > DVI > HDMI). They have said they will do some sort of firmware/software update to allow these external devices to record via HDMI. Though this doesn't seem set in stone.
Just need a HDMI Splitter to get rid of the HDCP

I ordered the ViewHD one and it should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back whether it works with the PS4 and for HDMI captures on PS3.

The issue I found with a lot of these recommendations for splitters is that the retailer's stock has changed over time. So a splitter that might have worked from a batch in October is actually a different brand than the one being sold now via that same amazon link and the new one doesn't work.

It's also possible that these things are all cheep Hong Kong knock off splitters and the HDMI stripping is more of a side effect and less of a "feature". Whether yours works or not could be hit or miss based on chance.

The other option is the Monoprice DVI -> HDMI http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2
It's more expensive but will probably be more reliable. I took the chance on the splitter because of price though.
This is the one I bought. It works perfectly with my PS3 and PS Vita TV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310786988272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I bought an Elgato sort of as an impulse buy from BBY. I'm not sure whether or not I'm gonna keep it for myself or just sell it on eBay, but...

What are the benefits of grabbing this over the Elgato? It's $10 more and the reviews seem middling. Most have to do with it breaking. Is it just better than the Elgato when it works or??
Pretty much. If it's not DOA then you should fall in love with it.

That said, in a lot of ways they are very similar in terms of capture/output quality and streaming options. I personally find LGP's hi-def captures look slightly better than the elgato with better colors, while the elgato has easily the best editing features on any external capture card to date. Since I already have 3rd party video editing software it's not really a selling point for me. Also, since I help do captures at local fighting game tournaments the PC-Free feature on the LGP is definitely a no brainer for me. In the end both are great options.

Just got my unit, its not DOA.

Last time when newegg got a $130 AR, I bought it but was DOA. Chatted with cr to get free ups return shipping for a refund.

This time around, straight $110 non rebate, so I jumped the deal. Hopefully those are ordered this time around will get a working unit like me.

When it works, its the best capture device out there atm.

Mine is also not DoA. Works fine both normal recording and PC Free recording. Only problem is that my monoprice splitter (mini-HDMI 1x2) does not interact with it well. It causes the recordings during PC Free recording to be sped up and high pitched. It's a little weird, considering that, normal recording mode is fine and without this problem.

My Transdcend 64GB SDXC works fine with the unit as well. I just had to format it using guiformat to fat32 with 32k size allocation units. I am fine with RECentral. Main advantage is that I don't have to see a preview window if I don't want to and eliminate any dips in performance.

I still need to test if any other mini USB cables work with it and if it can be powered by a USB power adapter.

I also bought one of those ebay HDMI splitters and will report how it interacts with the LGP.

My only wish is that it could do 1080p60, but then again, that could be based on the hardware limitations. But if it can be unlocked via software, I'd definitely be all for it.

Also, their support is now reduced to posting on either Facebook or Twitter and hoping they respond to you. Their forums have been down for months it seems. So if you do have a defective product or have a problem, I would suggest returning the item instead of trying to deal with Avermedia.

All in all, like BPA said, if it works, then it is the best capture solution out there.

edit: My other monoprice generic mini USB cable works with it.

Whenever I've considered getting a capture device I've leaned toward the elgato because it's apparently good with retro consoles http://www.oldschooljunkie.com/2013/03/elgato-game-capture-hd-the-retro-review/

How's the LGP stack up on that front?
If memory serves me right, Elgato units don't ship with the composite connector, only the component one. The LGP ships with only component as well. I don't believe they supply any composite cable/adapter or plan to support composite. So you either have to find a composite to HDMI adapter or play on something like the Retron which has HDMI outputs, when dealing with the LGP.

Mine is also not DoA. Works fine both normal recording and PC Free recording. Only problem is that my monoprice splitter (mini-HDMI 1x2) does not interact with it well. It causes the recordings during PC Free recording to be sped up and high pitched. It's a little weird, considering that, normal recording mode is fine and without this problem.

My Transdcend 64GB SDXC works fine with the unit as well. I just had to format it using guiformat to fat32 with 32k size allocation units. I am fine with RECentral. Main advantage is that I don't have to see a preview window if I don't want to and eliminate any dips in performance.

I still need to test if any other mini USB cables work with it and if it can be powered by a USB power adapter.

I also bought one of those ebay HDMI splitters and will report how it interacts with the LGP.

My only wish is that it could do 1080p60, but then again, that could be based on the hardware limitations. But if it can be unlocked via software, I'd definitely be all for it.

Also, their support is now reduced to posting on either Facebook or Twitter and hoping they respond to you. Their forums have been down for months it seems. So if you do have a defective product or have a problem, I would suggest returning the item instead of trying to deal with Avermedia.

All in all, like BPA said, if it works, then it is the best capture solution out there.

edit: My other monoprice generic mini USB cable works with it.
you can use any mini usb cable along with an usb charger for pc free mode.

the only device that has 1080 60fps capture capability i seen is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100171 but its really not worth it.

you need usb3 that has a compatible chipset and the bitrate recording is not as high as LGP. some yt video i saw reviewed it. also youtube dont support 60fps anyway, so the only benefit is for personal storage or streaming at 1080 60fps i guess

http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/extremecap_u3

you can use any mini usb cable along with an usb charger for pc free mode.
It's just when researching on this, some of the bigger reviews claimed that only the USB cable that came with the unit worked. But I suppose they maybe changed something during the production stage and fixed that? Hopefully they fixed a bunch of other stuff. I really want this thing to be all that it is advertised as. Basically I don't want it to crap out.

bread's done
Back