News Corp buys IGN Entertainment for $650 Million in Cash

uzumaki_star

CAGiversary!
I know that Cheapy made mention of this happening but I couldn't find where he talked about it so here is the story from our friends at Yahoo! and Associated Press.

NEW YORK - News Corp., the media conglomerate headed by Rupert Murdoch, said Thursday it will buy Internet company IGN Entertainment Inc. for about $650 million in cash.

San Francisco-based IGN and its network of sites, most devoted to video games, will become part of News Corp.'s Fox Interactive Media unit.

This deal marks News Corp.'s third Internet-related acquisition in recent months. The company is in the process of closing its purchases of Intermix, operator of the MySpace.com social-networking site, and college-sports company Scout Media.

With the addition of IGN, Intermix and Scout Media to existing Fox-branded sites, News Corp. said its U.S. Web traffic will increase to nearly 70 million unique monthly users and more than 12 billion page impressions per month.

IGN's major properties include IGN.com, GameSpy, GameSpy Arena, FilePlanet, TeamXbox, 3D Gamers, Direct2Drive, GameStats.com and a number of Web sites within the Vault and Planet networks. IGN also owns and operates two entertainment Web properties focused on movie-related content — IGN FilmForce and Rotten Tomatoes — and a male lifestyle site, AskMen.com. It also provides technology for online game play in video games.

The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2005, subject to regulatory approvals. IGN's chief executive officer, Mark Jung, will continue in his role following the acquisition.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']great! that means political pressure will now control the articles on IGN.[/QUOTE]

Worse than that, NewsCorp has a division that produces electronic media. Including videogames.

The publisher is also the reviewer...

[quote name='Quillion']Worse than that, NewsCorp has a division that produces electronic media. Including videogames.

The publisher is also the reviewer...[/QUOTE]

That's okay. I never really trusted IGN reviews all that much anyway. :razz:

Haha they got ripped. Who would pay 650 million for websites that are made up of 75% ads and a reputation for crap.
I look foward to their 500 million purchase of the gamefaqs message boards.

[quote name='Quillion']Worse than that, NewsCorp has a division that produces electronic media. Including videogames.

The publisher is also the reviewer...[/QUOTE]

What have they published (or, rather, who have they acquired)?

[quote name='Professor Oreo']That's okay. I never really trusted IGN reviews all that much anyway. :razz:[/QUOTE]
Agreed on that. Gamespot is much better IMO. And to the person joking about gamefaqs: thankfully CNET already bought gamefaqs or somebody like news corp easily could. CNET is bad enough, I don't want fox or MTV or some crap like that in charge of it.

[quote name='mykevermin']What have they published (or, rather, who have they acquired)?[/QUOTE]
Fox Interactive Media

Fox Interactive is mostly a publisher, not a developer. Here's a list of the games they've released.

Amiga
Crazy Cars

Dreamcast
Alien Resurrection
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Croc 2
Planet of the Apes
Sanity - Aiken's Artifact
World's Scariest Police Chases

Game Boy
Pagemaster

Game Boy Advance
Futurama

GameCube
Die Hard: Vendetta
Futurama
The Simpsons: Hit & Run

Genesis
Pagemaster
The Tick

Macintosh
Aliens vs. Predator
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
The Simpsons: Virtual Springfield

Nintendo 64
Die Hard 64
Fox Sports College Hoops '99

PC
Alien Resurrection
Aliens Vs. Predator 2 Primal Hunt
Aliens vs. Predator
Aliens vs. Predator: Gold Edition
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Croc 2
Croc: Legend of Gobbos
Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy 2: Viva Las Vegas
Fox Sports Golf '99
Fox Sports NBA Championship 2000
Fox Sports NHL Championship 2000
Icebreaker
Independence Day
King of the Hill
Motorhead
NBA Basketball 2000
NHL Championship 2000
No One Lives Forever
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way (demo)
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact (demo)
Sci-Fi Pinball
The Simpsons Cartoon Studio
The Simpsons: Virtual Springfield
The X-Files: The Game
World's Scariest Police Chases

PlayStation
Alien Resurrection
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Croc 2
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy 2: Viva Las Vegas
Fox Sports Golf
Fox Sports' Major League Baseball 2001
Independence Day
Motorhead
N2O: Nitrous Oxide
NBA Basketball 2000
NHL Championship 2000
Planet of the Apes
RC Racer
Simpsons Wrestling
The X-Files: The Game
Titan A.E.

PlayStation 2
Aliens vs. Predator 2
Aliens vs. Predator: Extinction
Futurama
NFL on Fox 2001
The X-Files: Resist or Serve

Saturn
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Die Hard Trilogy
Independence Day

Super NES
Pagemaster
The Tick

Web Games
Victory is Ours

Xbox
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Futurama
Xbox Exhibition Demo Disc Vol. 1

Kind of OT but ahhhhhh the Tick game for Genesis. I remember putting in the code for kill everything in one hit and it still took me like 2 and a half hours to beat. Most repetitive game in history. I love the Tick cartoon though.

On topic: Looks like Fox is IGNorant LOLOLOLOLOL

personally, reviews from both IGN and gamespot are something I never have really relied on. I still have yet to find a gaming site that fits my review taste... Usually I just do a ton of research on a game weeks before a possible purchase or release to determine if it's worth it to me. Most high scoring stuff on IGN or Gamespot I have not really picked up. Now all we need is for ChapyD to start posting up his reviews on games at CheapAssReviewer.com :lol: .... but then again, CAG has a review forum.

They must have really liked the E3 Booth Babe coverage, because that's the only thing even remotely worth looking at over at IGN.

Wow, IGN started as a fansite in the 90s, right? That's amazing.

But it also means that the site will pretty much go to shit.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. News Corp owns all.

Bow to your master, Rupert Murdoch, and his Darth Vader, Roger Ailes.[/QUOTE]

So true.;):D Every word of it. It's interesting to see how News Corp is buying up all of these properties. I wonder why and what they have in mind? Hmm....

[quote name='iheartmetal']i just read this... it made me sad. but if newscorp came and offered me 650 million[/QUOTE]

Yaeh, I felt kind of sad about this. Then again, though their reviews have been some of the better ones (not as of late), but still they weren't that great.

And agreed, if I was offered 650 million for my site I would take the money and run also.

[quote name='Backlash']So now IGN will post articles agreeing with Jack Thompson instead of pointing out what a douche he is? Great.[/QUOTE]

What is that supposed to mean. I am going to go out on a limb here, and assume you mean the right wing controlled fox news being in charge of IGN, hence they will support Jack Thompson. I have yet to see an important figure on the Rep side of the aisle side with censorship. In the 90's it was al gores wife that was pushing censorship, and last I checked it was hillary that got on the podium taking shots at Take 2. Granted it was a photo op, for her to look stong on family values, but last I checked, the Rep party was for private business to police themselves.

What was not reported is that the $650 million changed hands in a shady building off of 5th street and all of the money was reported to be in brown paper bags.

[quote name='ryanbph']What is that supposed to mean. I am going to go out on a limb here, and assume you mean the right wing controlled fox news being in charge of IGN, hence they will support Jack Thompson. I have yet to see an important figure on the Rep side of the aisle side with censorship. In the 90's it was al gores wife that was pushing censorship, and last I checked it was hillary that got on the podium taking shots at Take 2. Granted it was a photo op, for her to look stong on family values, but last I checked, the Rep party was for private business to police themselves.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily right vs left, more like just government in general. Fox News has close ties to the gov (current administration) as far as their support, so this would seem to make IGN much less objective.

Douchebags on the left have been crusading for censhorship for a long time, as you say, but so have douchebags on the right. They all like to jump on the bandwagon.

Also, though this is more of a vs forum point, don't tell me the Republican party is for small gov. They maybe USED to be, but not anymore. Bush and congress have increased spending ridiculously, not to mention al the legislation right-wingers would love to pass regarding faith-based initiatives. But, I digress - I'm starting to sound like Camoor.

[quote name='Storamin']how much did IGN buy gamespy for?[/QUOTE]

Sixty-seven cents, a pair of sunglasses, and two kittens.

[quote name='Heyricochet']The poor poor kittens....[/QUOTE]

Indeed. One can only wonder what will happen once Alan Colmes gets ahold of them. If there was ever a just cause for PETA, I'd say recovering those kittens would be the top priority.

Ign has been crap since their wrestling section shut down. I have no idea why they spent so much money on that site. Does IGN even turn a profit ? I can't wait to see IGN with even more ads then it has now.

IGN (Imagine Game Network) is not worth $650 million.

There is no fucking way that that shitty site is worth well over half a billion dollars/

bread's done
Back