Next gen consoles, and 2160P TVs (4k)?

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
A buddy of mine was just mentioning to me that the ps4/xbox one are both likely to support 2160P (also called 4k tvs)

How long do you think until that becomes the standard ?

When do you think 2160P tvs will even be reasonably priced? 

For example best buy only sells 2 2160P tvs, both sony's starting @ 5k

I know when the xbox 360 came out 720P was the standard, and noticed alot of 1080P stuff towards the end of its life cycle

I'm not convinced it will ever become the standard.  And certainly not next gen.

Hell, there's still pretty much nothing on TV in 1080p beyond some PPV and on demand stuff.  All my direcTV HD channels are either 720p or 1080i.

With 4k, you have to have a pretty large set or sit damn close to your TV to see the difference, so it's not going to have the wow factor for the average person than HD did.  And I don't think anyone but hardcore videophiles will care about moving from Bluray movies to 4k discs--much less upgrading their collection again.

So I don't know that 4K tvs will sell that fast, nor that we'll see much 4K content anytime soon.  Media is moving more toward streaming everything and internet capacity probably isn't ready for 4K given how many people have issues with ISP data caps and streaming HD movies currently (which are around 2GB a pop).

I feel like 4k will be awesome when it becomes the standard in movie theaters and it will be a benefit for people who enjoy 3D movies. However I was looking at the 4k display at Best Buy the other day and I was standing maybe 6-10 ft away and the set was around 50" and I really didn't see anything to wow me. The jump from DVD to Blu was really wow, this was just more like "hey look more detail" I will pick one up when they are sub $1000 and one of my current sets dies in 5+ years. I would not go out of my way to upgrade to 4k and I certainly don't see there being much content to justify the purchase for quite a while anyway.

There is no way the new consoles will support 4k.  It'd require way more power than they will have.  Even a Titan struggles on 4k.

This. Next gen consoles will also support 4K videos. I'm guessing they could output games in 4K but they'd probably look about as detailed as NES games.
I would assume it would be no different than the Xbox 360 or PS3 - which can output to the display in 1080p though most games are rendered at 1280x720. Only a small percentage of current gen games are actually native 1080p, and a large percentage of those games are new ones. I suspect in the next gen we'll see a larger number (or requirement) for games to be 1080p natively, but support outputting games in 4k. Most likely it will also support native 4k games although only time will tell if the hardware will be capable of keeping up.

I feel like 4k will be awesome when it becomes the standard in movie theaters and it will be a benefit for people who enjoy 3D movies. However I was looking at the 4k display at Best Buy the other day and I was standing maybe 6-10 ft away and the set was around 50" and I really didn't see anything to wow me. The jump from DVD to Blu was really wow, this was just more like "hey look more detail" I will pick one up when they are sub $1000 and one of my current sets dies in 5+ years. I would not go out of my way to upgrade to 4k and I certainly don't see there being much content to justify the purchase for quite a while anyway.

4K is already the majority of digital projection installations. They intend to move to 8K over time to keep an advantage over what is available to consumers at home. Scan rates will also be a factor to make 3D work better and do more optional high rate offerings like The Hobbit.
4K is simply not going to be a big factor in the new console lifetime. Keep in mind they're mainly intended to do 1080p well for the first time. The current machines did 1080p occasionally and with limits. There is still plenty of room for growth in exploiting the displays people own right now.

Consider: it took decades for consoles to reach the point of fully utilizing PAL/NTSC screens, which had already been in use for over twenty years when the first popular consoles were released. When the original Xbox supported 1080i over component, such screens had been in the market for a few years but when the Xbox 360 was launched the installed base was such that developers still had to make sure their games were playable on NTSC TVs. Those that weren't became minor scandals, as seen with the murky King King and Dead Rising's unreadable mission text.

It can even be argued that the current machines cannot fully exploit NTSC to this day. Nobody can yet produce a real-time interactive game or simulation that is indistinguishable from live action recordings. So we settled for those improvement we did know how to implement and hoped for more innovation in those other areas.

There may be one or two games that do a native 4K rendering but only at the sacrifice of other aspects to make up the processing load. Most cases where 4K output is supported will be much like 1080p on existing consoles. The frame will be rendered at a much lower resolution and then upscaled on its way to the HDMI port. Hardly seems worth the expense of a 4K display unless you are wealthy and in ned of novelty.

Well prices of 4k tvs have come down a ton

I mean right now you can get a huge one for... well 4k

I would figure by black friday it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that it might possibly be possible to get a decent size one (50+) for under 2k

Would there really be any benefit in buying a 4k tv, or just getting a really damn nice non futuristic tv? 

I'm not convinced it will ever become the standard. And certainly not next gen.

Hell, there's still pretty much nothing on TV in 1080p beyond some PPV and on demand stuff. All my direcTV HD channels are either 720p or 1080i.

With 4k, you have to have a pretty large set or sit damn close to your TV to see the difference, so it's not going to have the wow factor for the average person than HD did. And I don't think anyone but hardcore videophiles will care about moving from Bluray movies to 4k discs--much less upgrading their collection again.

So I don't know that 4K tvs will sell that fast, nor that we'll see much 4K content anytime soon. Media is moving more toward streaming everything and internet capacity probably isn't ready for 4K given how many people have issues with ISP data caps and streaming HD movies currently (which are around 2GB a pop).
I agree with this. 4k will never be the standard because there is zero demand for it. We still have people out there who havent upgraded to HD yet. On top of that the difference between HD and 4k really isnt so noticable that will make people say "Oooo I must have that" In most instance like stated above you cant even tell the difference.

I wouldnt worry about 4k.

I'm not convinced it will ever become the standard. And certainly not next gen.

Hell, there's still pretty much nothing on TV in 1080p beyond some PPV and on demand stuff. All my direcTV HD channels are either 720p or 1080i.

With 4k, you have to have a pretty large set or sit damn close to your TV to see the difference, so it's not going to have the wow factor for the average person than HD did. And I don't think anyone but hardcore videophiles will care about moving from Bluray movies to 4k discs--much less upgrading their collection again.

So I don't know that 4K tvs will sell that fast, nor that we'll see much 4K content anytime soon. Media is moving more toward streaming everything and internet capacity probably isn't ready for 4K given how many people have issues with ISP data caps and streaming HD movies currently (which are around 2GB a pop).
I agree with this. 4k will never be the standard because there is zero demand for it. We still have people out there who havent upgraded to HD yet. On top of that the difference between HD and 4k really isnt so noticable that will make people say "Oooo I must have that" In most instance like stated above you cant even tell the difference.

I wouldnt worry about 4k.
No, 4K will eventually be the standard because there will simply be nothing less in the stores.

There are still people in the US who don't have electricity or indoor plumbing. But they are not the basis for judging whether most people regard these items as necessities or at least standards of living. Those people who don't have an HD display yet? They're out of luck when it comes to the PS4 and X1. These machines only want to talk to displays with HDMI inputs and those are rather rare in NTSC/PAL displays. (You can convert the output to other display standards but how more expense and trouble are going to go to rather than just get a compatible screen?)

There are people out still recording TV shows on VHS tapes. In the eyes of consumer electronics people these are dead people who just happen to have a higher than normal activity level. They also vote in Chicago. Eventually they die for real but the world has already moved on.

The idea that there is zero demand for 4K is utter nonsense. This would be like saying there was no demand for 1080p in 1990. Extremely few people had ever seen it then and understood what it meant in terms of quality. All you could say was that watching TV would be a lot more like watching a movie in the theater and hope their imagination would bridge the gap.

My mother was 81 when I brought home the first HDTV in the house. She appreciated the size of screen and how little space it took up relative to that but it took a while for the difference in image quality to sink in. Until one day she asked me if something was wrong with the cable because all of the channels looked awful. It turned out that instead using the 4xx channel range where our service provider puts their HD content, she had forgotten and chosen the analog 2-99 range. That was the day she really became aware of the difference. The analog SD channels looked as good as they ever did but to her surprise her standards of quality had shifted.

4K will become the standard when the display get inexpensive enough to start crowding out 1080p displays from the stores and somebody shopping for a new screen sees no reason not to get the 50" 4K unit that costs the same or less than the 50" 1080p display he bought 5-10 years ago.

As for consoles, the generation following the one launch ing this year, in five or more years, will have 1080p pretty much mastered to the extent that anything can for real-time interaction, and will make some serious forays into 4K support. Much as you could get perfectly good results with a 720p monitor in the current generation, a 4K screen won't be required but will have real benefits. Then, the generation that comes after that use 4K as its baseline display. It may still be usable with 1080p but severely compromised, like using an Xbox 360 or PS3 with an NTSC/PAL screen.

The idea that there is zero demand for 4K is utter nonsense. This would be like saying there was no demand for 1080p in 1990. Extremely few people had ever seen it then and understood what it meant in terms of quality. All you could say was that watching TV would be a lot more like watching a movie in the theater and hope their imagination would bridge the gap.

Again, there's still hardly jack shit outside of Blurays and some games that's in 1080p even today in 2013. That and some on demand movies etc. All live satellite and cable HD channels are still 720p/1080i. And honestly, I can't tell much difference between 720p/1080i/1080p stuff anyway.

Point being, yeah, 4K TVs will become the norm eventually--but that doesn't mean that there will be much content that takes advantage of it. Just like it's hard to buy a TV without 3D these days, but there's hardly any 3D content. I get two channels in 3D on DirecTV, hardly any games have 3D modes etc.

So I just don't see any big move to 4K content, given how lacking 1080p content is after all that time. It will just be a niche thing for the videophiles with some new 4K Bluray disc format that probably won't sell huge numbers as most people just won't care about upgrading their collections again. Especially with the TV size vs. viewing distance ratios needed to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k anyway.

The marginal return in quality is just getting smaller. The bump from VHS to DVD was astounding to me. The bump from DVD to Blu-ray was impressive. The jump to 4K doesn't seem all that necessary. 3D is a complete waste of time.

I would get 4K if that were the only thing in the store or if the price premium was not much greater.

Considering Disney cancelled ESPN 3D it looks like movies on disc are going to be the only way to watch 3D soon.

As for 4K, that will probably take another 3 or 4 decades before it becomes the norm.

bread's done
Back