Next-Gen = Jungles + Bald + Destructable/Physics?

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I know it's not just me that's noticing, but it sure as hell is bothering me about next gen stuff...

a large majority of next gen titles, which are most likely shooters (too much! TOO MUCH!), have these elements or trends:

-Jungles/Forests (crysis, haze, half-life ep2, Just Cause, That Naught Dog PS3 Game, etc...)

-Bald People (Mass Effect, Kane & Lynch, Splinter Cell: DA, etc...)

-Emphasis on "Physics" or "Destructable" (Strangehold, 90% any other game)

I like this stuff, but I'm actually getting tired of seeing screenshots of bald guys getting killed in jungles while flying in the air and using ragdoll physiscs... Then again, I'm sure some peopel have vented ont hsi before.

One pre-gen or whatever trend I've noticed in last generation of titles has been vending machines... "if you have a game with guns, you gotta have vending machines in that game as well" is probably the motto of last gen.

they should've made all the DoA girls bald...that hair is fucking weird!

You know what I noticed about fighting games? They always got a Japanese guy. I want to play one fighting game without a Japanese character.

[quote name='zewone']You know what I noticed about fighting games? They always got a Japanese guy. I want to play one fighting game without a Japanese character.[/QUOTE]

SSBM?

[quote name='zewone']Pikachu is Japanese.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. His friends where white americans and that one nigger.

[quote name='zewone']You know what I noticed about fighting games? They always got a Japanese guy. I want to play one fighting game without a Japanese character.[/QUOTE]

Mortal Kombat? I don't think anyone has a nationality except the american characters. and Liu Kang, but that's a Chinese name, isn't it?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Mario is actually japanese in SSBM if you think about it... he was created in japan, but he is racially italian.[/QUOTE]

If you put it that way every video game character ever is japanese. :roll:

[quote name='mr ryles']If you put it that way every video game character ever is japanese. :roll:[/QUOTE]

not really. Take into account all the american made games. Sam Fisher is sure as hell american.... I'm still waiting for some pure-as-hell sweedish characters...

bald is the new sign of being a badass ,but only with a goatee. Think Stone Cold Steve Austin.

The jungles I can see being poplular now, cos realistic forests, and trees and plantlife was just not possible to do until now. Designers figured out how to do buildings and space dungeon levels long ago, now they need a new target to aim their processing power at, and its the jungle!

The ragdoll physics and destructable environments arent too realistic tho. How can you call your physics 'realistic' when I shoot a guy and he goes tumbling around bouncing off of everything in the room like theres only half gravity?

I enjoy ragdoll physics personally. I think it adds a great bit of realism to a game. I remember seeing it in half life 2 and thinking it was incredible.

The problem is, with each generation, graphics are taking smaller and smaller leaps foward. This is common knowledge: just compare a late PS game to a PS2 launch title (i remembered almost shitting my pants when i saw the players in NHL 2001 in the locker room) and then a late xbox title to an early XBox 360 title (Just to be fair, since 360 is the only next gen system that is out already)

In this next generation, we will see graphics that fall into the eerily-realistic ditch, and will no longer be impressed with wrinkles on peoples faces or other tiny details. Some companies are pushing graphics as far as possible by showing off visuals in locations that were previously difficult to portray on early systems (Jungles, high-density cities, battlefields). For now, they look very impressive, but I'm sure halfway through the generation, people will no longer be impressed by graphics at all.

So what will take the place in demonstrating game power when graphics are no longer impressive?

Physics

I remember playing the demo of Half-Life 2, and feeling similar to when I first started my PS2. I remember watching the early movie of cellfactor and feeling the same way. Physics will eventually take the place of graphics, and it will be better since the focus will not be on visuals, but rather gameplay. Sure, they may seem exagerated, but since when did Video Games have to be realistic? And it will have realistic uses, and new opportunities for games: imagine a BASE Jumping game where every leap seems different, or am RPG where your character will react to virtually anything: whether its disarming a trap or reading a tome. Physics is the future, and the future looks good.

Oh, and as for bald heroes, there have always been games with them. Two that come to mind are Hitman and Timesplitters (Sgt. Cortes). It seems to show toughness, experience, and discipline, perfect for the next generation of "thinking shooters."

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']The problem is, with each generation, graphics are taking smaller and smaller leaps foward. This is common knowledge: just compare a late PS game to a PS2 launch title (i remembered almost shitting my pants when i saw the players in NHL 2001 in the locker room) and then a late xbox title to an early XBox 360 title (Just to be fair, since 360 is the only next gen system that is out already)

In this next generation, we will see graphics that fall into the eerily-realistic ditch, and will no longer be impressed with wrinkles on peoples faces or other tiny details. Some companies are pushing graphics as far as possible by showing off visuals in locations that were previously difficult to portray on early systems (Jungles, high-density cities, battlefields). For now, they look very impressive, but I'm sure halfway through the generation, people will no longer be impressed by graphics at all.

So what will take the place in demonstrating game power when graphics are no longer impressive?

Physics
[/QUOTE]

I still say the Wiimotes sure as hell get me more excited than physics. Next-gen sure seems alot more redundant than what nintendo is trying to do... and someday mario will probably be bald anyway as well.

also, I think you took this topic a little too seriously.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']also, I think you took this topic a little too seriously.[/QUOTE]
nah, I was just thinking about this topic while cleaning the house, and I reilized just the kind of impact physics is going to have.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']nah, I was just thinking about this topic while cleaning the house, and I reilized just the kind of impact physics is going to have.[/QUOTE]

you may be right or wrong, but no one will really know until the next gen after this next gen starts, and we can look back at how everything really ended out to be.

i always thought hair and skin textures were a pain to render...well that's what I learned back in my college days. Everytime I see hair on a video game character model, I look carefully and see how they set it up...sure I know they aren't going to model every freaking stran of hair because that will be too much for the system processor. That's why you see all these video game girls with very short hair :|

bread's done
Back