Next Gen = No Games

I've got a PS4 on order with Best Buy, but I'm having second thoughts myself. 

Last time around I waited a couple of years before getting a PS3 and 360, until there were a decent number of good games in the $20 range. 

Right now, I have about a 3 year backlog on current generation games, and I'm afraid that if I jump in with the new platform, that I'll be wowed by the graphics and never go back and play the great games I have on the current console. At least that's what happened with xBox and PS2 to a certain degree.

There's also the case of my natural aversion to being a paying beta tester - let others find the problems and then give the company time to fix them before plunking down money, sez I!

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have both X1 and PS4 pre-ordered and paid off.  I'm thinking of canceling my PS4 pre-order.  They have such a weak launch lineup compared to the X1.  I really can see it sitting for a long time till Infamous: SS comes out.  And then after that it will sit again for a long time.  I'm thinking of picking it up next XMas when they'll have 2-3 games worth playing.

Once X1 comes out and I got Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, maybe Ryse, and Killer Instinct there's no way the PS4 is getting touched.  Wonder how hard it will be to come by.  Could just sale it.

About 6 months ago I said I would wait until spring of 2015 to make the switch to next gen. Yet today I have both consoles pre-ordered and paid for. Killzone and Forza 5 are the only two games I want.

Once X1 comes out and I got Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, maybe Ryse, and Killer Instinct there's no way the PS4 is getting touched. Wonder how hard it will be to come by. Could just sale it.
Kind of the opposite for me. I don't get this general internet meme that the X1 launch is so great. None of those games interest me in the slightest (except possibly for Rhyse when it gets sub-$20 since I'm a Roman history buff - though I expect any faithfulness to ancient Rome to be butchered :lol:). My son does want DR3, though, so we'll be getting that. If it weren't for him, I'd probably pass on the X1 at launch. For PS4 I'm excited to see what I get from PS+. Other than Knack, I don't plan on buying anything for it yet I expect to have plenty to play.

Kind of the opposite for me. I don't get this general internet meme that the X1 launch is so great. None of those games interest me in the slightest (except possibly for Rhyse when it gets sub-$20 since I'm a Roman history buff - though I expect any faithfulness to ancient Rome to be butchered :lol:). My son does want DR3, though, so we'll be getting that. If it weren't for him, I'd probably pass on the X1 at launch. For PS4 I'm excited to see what I get from PS+. Other than Knack, I don't plan on buying anything for it yet I expect to have plenty to play.
I'm curious what Sony will be offering with PS+ now that you need that to play online. I haven't seen a solid answer and it doesn't seem like anyone has asked the question. I would think the quality of title is going to drop since the value now includes access to online. You excited for the indie type games they are pushing?

I'm curious what Sony will be offering with PS+ now that you need that to play online. I haven't seen a solid answer and it doesn't seem like anyone has asked the question. I would think the quality of title is going to drop since the value now includes access to online. You excited for the indie type games they are pushing?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that early on Sony will give us some of the AAA titles EU has been getting lately for the PS3 and they will throw in a few PSN games for PS4. They'll adjust accordingly over the lifetime of the console. Either way it's a nice bonus.

This happens every time a system comes out...I'll tell you what the 1st year of these next gen system looks good to me.

As much as I want to jump in on day one for both systems, which I pre-ordered as soon as I could, for me there isn't yet a 'gotta have it NOW' game compelling enough to have me fork over a grand - or even half that.

Have been an early adopter since Sega Genesis and can't believe that, for once, I'm leaning towards waiting...

Seeing as I'm only 50 hours into Dragon's Dogma and still have Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2 and a bunch of other A-AA-AAA titles waiting for my attention, how can I move forward onto the next thing?

Until Titanfall then, I suppose...still holding out, though. Maybe...

For me, I know once I see Killzone in full effect I'll need to run out and get a PS4, so I already preordered.  The good news is that even when these killer titles are available and the great reviews start pouring in and the next gen is officially here and amazing and all--from the sounds of it those who are willing to wait will have no trouble getting a hold of a system come this holiday and beyond. 

The nature of people is that they want what they can't have--and you can bet Sony and MS know this.  If a system sells out it is suddenly more desirable, so is it a good strategy to have a ton of stock on the shelves at launch? 

Even if the PS4 and X1 do sell out right away I'll be wondering if they really do have systems available to sell and are just making people sweat a little, then suddenly come Christmas they are readily available.  That's a great advantage to this long wait for the next gen--the hardcore have preordered in great numbers and if those casual gamers can't get an X1 or PS4, Sony and MS can always sell them a PS3 or 360 instead and probably make a greater profit while doing so.

Yes, absolutely. I know the Indie games will be smaller games that I can get into and finish and will most likely be decent quality - no matter what they are. The so-called AAA launch games for both systems I have little-to-no interest in.

The difference between a PS4 with PS+ and a few freebie Indie games (plus DriveClub and whatever else might come) vs. a PS4 with no PS+ meant buying a PS4 at launch vs. waiting 2 years for me.

You excited for the indie type games they are pushing?
I love indie games, and I have high hopes for the future indie offerings on Sony platforms.

The one sticking point for most indie games on the PS4 is that very few of them will probably be exclusive to that console. Most will also make an appearance on the PS3 and Vita. And I already own both of those platforms. So while I look forward to the PS4's indie games, it will be a while yet before I HAVE to get a PS4 to play most of them.

I do think all these cross gen games--be it indie or the big AAA multiplatform titles--will hurt this launch some.

Past launches just didn't have this much overlap with current gen stuff as the gap in power was too great--so most things developed for the next gen machines would be hard to port decently to current gen stuff.  With the power gap being lesser this time, it was easy for developers to put CoD, BF, Watchdogs, AC4 etc. on both next gen platforms and current gen platforms.

An exclusive CoD would have sold a lot of X1s and PS3s.  But I figure most will just buy it for 360/PS3 and play it with their friends they've been playing the series with as only the most hardcore in the group will early adopt a next gen machine.

Add in the lack of a Mario 64/Halo type "holy shit, I need to play that right now" first party game for most people and the launch just seems kind of bland.  Lot's of AAA games overall, maybe more than any prior launch.  But so many of them are cross gen, and outside of the hardcore, early adopter crowd people aren't likely crazy to shell out $400-500 to mostly play slightly prettier versions of games they could play on hardware they already own.

I do think all these cross gen games--be it indie or the big AAA multiplatform titles--will hurt this launch some.

Past launches just didn't have this much overlap with current gen stuff as the gap in power was too great--so most things developed for the next gen machines would be hard to port decently to current gen stuff. With the power gap being lesser this time, it was easy for developers to put CoD, BF, Watchdogs, AC4 etc. on both next gen platforms and current gen platforms.

An exclusive CoD would have sold a lot of X1s and PS3s. But I figure most will just buy it for 360/PS3 and play it with their friends they've been playing the series with as only the most hardcore in the group will early adopt a next gen machine.

Add in the lack of a Mario 64/Halo type "holy shit, I need to play that right now" first party game for most people and the launch just seems kind of bland. Lot's of AAA games overall, maybe more than any prior launch. But so many of them are cross gen, and outside of the hardcore, early adopter crowd people aren't likely crazy to shell out $400-500 to mostly play slightly prettier versions of games they could play on hardware they already own.
I think both systems will sell out at launch solely on the backs of hardcore gamers, tech enthusiasts and fanboys. However, I'm interested to see how the general public reacts to these consoles. They are the ones who will ultimately determine their fate. As you point out the lack of a "must have" game certainly won't help their cause. Add to that the fact that gaming sales have slowed down significantly over the last couple of years and you could have a recipe for a sluggish start.

Agreed.  Both will sell strong at launch to hardcores, and probably through the holidays as well.  How sales go once we hit 2014 will be telling.

Will they keep selling?  Or will they be like the PS3 that was all over store shelves after the new year?

Even if both systems have a slow start it won't really matter. By the end of next year (possibly earlier) the majority of big releases will be coming only to PS4 and XB1. Even the people who aren't excited by more powerful hardware will be forced to buy a new console just to get new games.

The capabilities of current systems were pretty much reached in 2009, the 8th generation is long overdue.

The capabilities of current systems were pretty much reached in 2009, the 8th generation is long overdue.
Not sure I agree with that as I think The Last of Us looks significantly better than any other current gen console game.

In any case, I'm not a graphics whore at all, so I don't really care about next gen. I'll ride out my PS3 backlog until at least late spring/early summer if not beyond. If at all, as part of canceling my preorder was to have more time to decide if I want to keep gaming beyond this gen.

I'll never really understand the uber graphic whore console gamers anyway. Seems like people who are that into having the latest and greatest graphics should just be PC gamers. *shrugs*

Not sure I agree with that as I think The Last of Us looks significantly better than any other current gen console game.

In any case, I'm not a graphics whore at all, so I don't really care about next gen. I'll ride out my PS3 backlog until at least late spring/early summer if not beyond. If at all, as part of canceling my preorder was to have more time to decide if I want to keep gaming beyond this gen.

I'll never really understand the uber graphic whore console gamers anyway. Seems like people who are that into having the latest and greatest graphics should just be PC gamers. *shrugs*
I didn't mention graphics. There will undoubtedly be new gameplay mechanics on the new systems that would not be possible on current systems. We haven't seen anything yet, just as we didn't at the launch of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

There haven't been any new innovations that push the systems in years and I expect a new generation to change that.

By the end of next year (possibly earlier) the majority of big releases will be coming only to PS4 and XB1. Even the people who aren't excited by more powerful hardware will be forced to buy a new console just to get new games.
Unfortunately, I don't think this scenario is going to play out. While the PS4 and XBox One will get some substantial exclusives next year, most of them will be from first-party studios. The rest of the development community aren't going to commit to those systems heavily until they accrue a decent install base. The iterations of major, high-selling franchises in 2014 will still be released on PS3 and XBox 360. The PS4 and XBox One versions might look and run better, but multi-platform across PS3 and 360 will continue well into 2015, and possibly even 2016.

The next cycle has some real inertia to push against. It will get here, but its going to be a much more gradual transition. A large part of this is just how successful both the PS3 and 360 have been, and continue to be. Developers and a vocal minority of consumers are clamoring for new tech. The rest of the market is quite content with the current situation, and will remain so until word of mouth about the new systems gets around.

Unfortunately, I don't think this scenario is going to play out. While the PS4 and XBox One will get some substantial exclusives next year, most of them will be from first-party studios. The rest of the development community aren't going to commit to those systems heavily until they accrue a decent install base. The iterations of major, high-selling franchises in 2014 will still be released on PS3 and XBox 360. The PS4 and XBox One versions might look and run better, but multi-platform across PS3 and 360 will continue well into 2015, and possibly even 2016.

The next cycle has some real inertia to push against. It will get here, but its going to be a much more gradual transition. A large part of this is just how successful both the PS3 and 360 have been, and continue to be. Developers and a vocal minority of consumers are clamoring for new tech. The rest of the market is quite content with the current situation, and will remain so until word of mouth about the new systems gets around.
Agree. We already know that Dragon Age Inquisition is cross-gen, and that's slated for late 2014. I think that's going to be the rule rather than the exception.

"A system that shoots it load one day in is no use to anybody. It ensures a console has a harder time staying in the public eye as it spends its next few months waiting for more games."

Let us ignore the boasts of large launch rosters and instead ask what we can play months into the systems lives. Let us not be wowed by the lure of 20 games splooged onto shelves in one gaudy explosion. Let us instead ask that games be cooked to perfection and released in a steady, dignified stream. We shouldn't want a strong launch library, we should want a strong LIBRARY. There is a difference; Demand it!" - Jim Sterling

Jim Sterling is not wrong. This is part of the reason why I am leaning toward the PS4. It arguably has a weaker launch line-up. But I have a lot more confidence in the first-party studios that Sony has managed to put together over the years. I've found their output to be considerably more interesting and diverse. So while I don't think the PS4 is going to have much exclusive content at launch, I am certain that there will be plenty for me to play down the line.

One of the advantages that the XBox One will have at launch will be the extra media features it provides. Being able to use your XBox One as an expensive, voice-command TV remote will be a selling point for some consumers. Features like this will help to shift systems early on when the game selection is slim.

It's true, but most launch titles are average, it's just something hard to change. With that being said, I am sure once Rockstar announced their next project for next gen consoles, the sales will be high. 

Not even bothering with a next gen console until something comes out I want to play. Going by what I'm seeing in the release schedule that won't be anytime soon; possibly next year by this time I still won't own one. I'm not a picky person it's just I don't game like I used to, as every year I end up playing less and less games. In fact my backlog is so cluttered with games I've bought (mostly because of this place lol) and never played I'm considering ending the few preorders I have now as it's just a waste of money for me. The only series that really still excites me these days are the GTA and Batman Arkham series and to a much lesser extent the Final Fantasy series depending on the title.

My main reason to be picking up a PS4 at launch is Killzone Shadow Fall. I'm a big fan of Killzone along with other big-name first party games like Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Uncharted and Kingdom Hearts. Hell, I was considering getting rid of my Vita until Killzone Mercenary was anounced. In fact, Killzone is the only FPS I'm any good at. But pretty much when I'm finished with Killzone (and Watch_Dogs, to a lesser extent), I'll be waiting out some more exclusives for the PS4 to drop

Exactly why I'm waiting til next year. I actually have close to $700 saved back towards both systems. I'm hoping I can find a PS4 on craigslist/Ebay/pawn shop for $300 and a One for $400. I was able to scoop up a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U for $140 on craigslist in April. (although it was the non-premium one.) It hadn't even been setup yet. The only game I really want to play at launch for either PS4/XB1 is Dead Rising 3 so there's no rush. 

You plan on finding a PS4 for $300 next year?... Not unless they make 10 million of them right off the bat will people be selling them that cheap. Remember the original Wii. Launched in 2006, come December 2007, my friend was able to flip one on ebay and make close to $300 profit.

It will be the same situation this November, both systems are sure to sell out right at launch and will be in high demand--especially bundles!  I can't wait to see the Ebay prices for bundles that you can't get on the shelves--people who buy a couple are sure to make a killing.

I'm expecting Sony to kick in Gaikai as soon as the lull of games happens after launch window and we will be able to rebuy all our favorite PS3 releases digitally.  They no doubt made a killing this gen on PS2 and PSX remakes (which must cost next to nothing to make happen) so I would imagine we will see this on a greater scale on the PS4 with PS3 releases.  Now if they can make these stream to Vita and I could play GTA5 in bed they'd be on to something.  

This generation is going to be weird and interesting for the simple fact that many people may not 'see' the difference between games of this gen and next. 

I had a PS4 preordered, but I cancelled it recently. I have a ton of games I still want to play from this gen, plus older games I want to go back and replay. I will probably get a PS4 3 to 4 years down the line, when there are a boatload of games I want to play and they can be had cheaper.

I had a PS4 preordered, but I cancelled it recently. I have a ton of games I still want to play from this gen, plus older games I want to go back and replay. I will probably get a PS4 3 to 4 years down the line, when there are a boatload of games I want to play and they can be had cheaper.
I am wavering on whether or not to make the same decision. I have a day one PS4 pre-ordered through Amazon, but I'm leaning towards cancelling it. I jumped into this generation late (early 2009) and was thrilled at the number of high quality cheap games. I have a backlog of current gen titles to last me at least a year if not longer. For me, there is not a "system seller" title in the launch window for either console. That game will probably be Metal Gear Solid 5 or Final Fantasy XV. I may just hold off until those games are released and I get to the point where I absolutely have to play them.

That game will probably be Metal Gear Solid 5 or Final Fantasy XV. I may just hold off until those games are released and I get to the point where I absolutely have to play them.
Ha, pretty much the same for me. I would toss Uncharted in there too since I am a pretty big fanboy of that series. But I (think) I can wait to go next gen even after some of those games start popping up. It will be the true test of my will.

I'd cancel it. No reason to get one at launch if there's no system seller game for you and you still have plenty to play on consoles you still have.

I cancelled my PS4 for the same reason. No reason to buy at launch price when there's nothing I really care about playing on either console in the winch window and I still have 10+ games on the back log.

I'll work through my backlog and buy when there's a sale or bundle deal on a ps4 later next year.

I am ready for limited variety. My brother and I are getting an Xbox One,so far the only game he has preordered is Dead Rising 3 and I have the Division preordered. Yeah, I'm not very impressed with the lauch line up, but I feel that there is an urgency to upgrade. Buying new games for an outdated system feels like I'm wasting money but I guess I'll just buy those games on PC. Have the urge to drop 600 and upgrade my PC but  it seems like bad timing. Still pretty exciting.

You plan on finding a PS4 for $300 next year?... Not unless they make 10 million of them right off the bat will people be selling them that cheap. Remember the original Wii. Launched in 2006, come December 2007, my friend was able to flip one on ebay and make close to $300 profit.
You're only talking about Ebay/online, I'm thinking local craigslist/pawnshop. I pretty much guarantee by the end of next year i'll find a PS4 for $300 and a Xbox one for $400, if not cheaper at a pawn shop or craigslist. I have about 20 pawn shops in my city and a few of them sell stuff for pretty cheap, and there's tons of fools here who will buy something at full retail and sell it off for cheap. Like I mentioned I got a Wii u 4 months after launch for $140 and it came with New Super Mario Bros U, I've found a Xbox 360 jasper model (that doesn't RROD) for $30 with all hookups and controller a PS3 Slim 160gb that I got for my cousin for $99, and I've also scored a 3DS for $50 in 2012. I just check craigslist everyday and hit up the pawn shops at least once a week.

You're only talking about Ebay/online, I'm thinking local craigslist/pawnshop. I pretty much guarantee by the end of next year i'll find a PS4 for $300 and a Xbox one for $400, if not cheaper at a pawn shop or craigslist. I have about 20 pawn shops in my city and a few of them sell stuff for pretty cheap, and there's tons of fools here who will buy something at full retail and sell it off for cheap. Like I mentioned I got a Wii u 4 months after launch for $140 and it came with New Super Mario Bros U, I've found a Xbox 360 jasper model (that doesn't RROD) for $30 with all hookups and controller a PS3 Slim 160gb that I got for my cousin for $99, and I've also scored a 3DS for $50 in 2012. I just check craigslist everyday and hit up the pawn shops at least once a week.
More power to you. If you can find one for dirt cheap, pick it up, but don't put all your eggs in one basket, and expect Supply/Demand to be in your favor

bread's done
Back