Next wave of server closings from EA

mrosnwo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Get your achievements while you still can, as the following games will no longer be playable online soon:

January 11:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II

February 8:

Fifa 08
Fifa 09
Fifa 09 Ultimate Team
Fifa Street 3
NBA Live 09
NCAA Basketball 09
NCAA Football 08
NCAA Football 09
NCAA March Madness 08
NFL Head Coach 09
NHL 08
NHL 09
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
UEFA Euro 2008

Hehe atleast EA still has the Burnout Revenge servers still up.
All those being old sports games no loss there.

Hmm, I haven't played my Tiger Woods '09 in a while I better check on those online points. IMO '09 is as good or better than '10.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Hehe atleast EA still has the Burnout Revenge servers still up.
All those being old sports games no loss there.[/QUOTE]

I continue to be shocked that Army of Two's servers haven't been shut down yet , especially with the second game having come out last year.

Well I guess the key game getting shut down here is the LOTR game, which is shocking to me that it's still up, since the Conqest game has been shut down already, and came out a few years after the RTS game. Still kinda sucks, cause I have the RTS that I never finished all these years later, and I probably won't get to it in the next week either to finish off the online parts. I guess it will forever be an unfinished game on my card, unless someone wants to friend request and boost with me. I'm just not sure when I can do it this week quite yet.

[quote name='javeryh']So wait, in the future I might not be able to play Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit? That's crap.[/QUOTE]

You're unable to play any XBox games but you don't seem to mind that. It'll be many, many years before they shut down NFS servers. All of the next-gen NFS servers are still up, as far as I know. They just cut off older ones on games (mostly sports) that people no longer play on. Something newer and greater will come out and you won't care.

Thanks for that hollow cliche statement. These are two and three year old sports games. Who cares? There's no need to continue running those servers when they can be used for newer games. Get last years game if your cheap. There is no reason to continue playing a sports game from 08 or 09 except Tiger Woods. As for the LOTR thing, it has to do with licensing not EA being cheap.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/01...ttle-for-middle-earth-pc-online-game-servers/

Actually a lot of companies lose licenses to properties, but you can still play those games online. Look how everyone was clamoring to get the Marvel Ultimate Alliance DLC before it was pulled due to a lost license. However, those games are still playable online even now. The license has been gone a year, the DLC came back on thru a seperate agreement, yet the servers are still going on for gameplay. The sports games, true, they're all old, but there aren't any new Fifa Streets, NCAA hoops, or NFL Head Coach's coming to my knowledge.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Actually a lot of companies lose licenses to properties, but you can still play those games online. Look how everyone was clamoring to get the Marvel Ultimate Alliance DLC before it was pulled due to a lost license. However, those games are still playable online even now. The license has been gone a year, the DLC came back on thru a seperate agreement, yet the servers are still going on for gameplay. The sports games, true, they're all old, but there aren't any new Fifa Streets, NCAA hoops, or NFL Head Coach's coming to my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Remember, though, that not everyone runs dedicated servers like EA. That's the issue. Even though a company loses a licence, it means nothing if they're not running a dedicated server. In that case, they don't really have a hand in the online anyway.

It's all about still having a hand in the product. It's why a lot of XBLA arcade games and, yes, DLC have been taken down. Lose the licence, can't be involved in it anymore. Running servers for those games fall under the same category.

bread's done
Back