NFL Going Nuts - Big Players Getting Cut While Owners Argue Over Cap!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2350202

Denver cut Trevor Pryce and Mike Anderson?! Carolina cuts Stephen Davis and Brenton Buckner?! Buffalo cuts Lawyer Millloy, Mark Campbell, and Sam Adam?! Dolphins cuts Sam Madison, Tebuckey Jones, and Damion McIntosh?! What the hell is going on?!

It seems about a dozen teams are way over the cap and have to make major cuts to get under. The top draft picks could be affected as well with these money issues. There will be many more cuts if the CBA issues are not resolved tomorrow.

Cap Status of all Teams
Possible Cuts!

the nba and nfl need to learn from what happened with the nhl. it's back and arguably better than ever; more profitable for owners, the league is more competetive for teams and fans, and the players seem happy too. i heard rumors last summer that the nfl could potentially have a lock out after next season (in '07) if they don't reach an agreement on the cba. i doubt it actually would have one given the popularity.

I don't think the arguement is so much between players union vs ownership, as it is about ownership vs ownership. Several of the weaker financial teams, want 100% revenue sharing, while some of the stronger financial teams don't want to change it from the 80% it is currently at. Currently with the tv deal, every team gets about 87 - 89 million. That was more then what the salary cap was at this past year, making no reason why a team wouldn't be somewhat close to the cap. Personally I can't believe places like cincy, jacksonville, and others feel the need for 100% revenue sharing. About 10 years ago, the least profitable organization were the NE patriots, but with good management they have become one of the most profitable organizations. Unlike other sports, big city teams do not have the advantage, as the green bay packers are also one of the most profitable teams, and they are the smallest city for an nfl team.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2350202

Denver cut Trevor Pryce and Mike Anderson?! Carolina cuts Stephen Davis and Brenton Buckner?! Buffalo cuts Lawyer Millloy and Sam Adam?! What the hell is going on?!

It seems about a dozen teams are way over the cap and have to make major cuts to get under. The top draft picks could be affected as well with these money issues. There will be many more cuts if the CBA issues are not resolved tomorrow.

Cap Status of all Teams
Possible Cuts![/QUOTE]

Not the first time Milloy has got cut the only ones on there that are all that crazy are the Denver cuts

If you thought todays cuts were shocking, just wait until tomorrow.
I was actually surprised at Denver's cuts also.

[quote name='The Shiznit']If you thought todays cuts were shocking, just wait until tomorrow.
I was actually surprised at Denver's cuts also.[/QUOTE]
I know. We've only had four teams make cuts so far, and almost every other team could make cuts, as well. Seems like it's the year to have a shitload of money available, like Cleveland, Arizona, Minnesota, and Green Bay. This will probably even have a rather large effect on the draft, as well.

Newest cuts:

Houston - Marcus Coleman
Indy - Josh Williams, Travis Brown, Joaquin Gonzalez
Miami - Reggie Howard
New Orleans - Boo Williams
New York G - Brent Alexander (may be retired)
Oakland - Derrick Gibson

ESPN has bolded a bunch of players that were cut within the last week, but these players had no mention of previous cuts.

holy shit, derrick gibson was pulling in 10 mil!?!!?!? what the hell was he getting charles woodson money for????

I wonder if this includes charles woodsons salary from last season

[quote name='darkmere']the nba and nfl need to learn from what happened with the nhl. it's back and arguably better than ever; more profitable for owners, the league is more competetive for teams and fans, and the players seem happy too. i heard rumors last summer that the nfl could potentially have a lock out after next season (in '07) if they don't reach an agreement on the cba. i doubt it actually would have one given the popularity.[/QUOTE]

The "new" NHL is horrible. I hope that is not the lead the NFL follows.

I didn't think that the CBA negotiations would go this far but there is definietly going to be some problems for the nfl if they dont come to a solution quickly. Lockouts have never helped any pro association and takes several years to recover from. The NFL has had this current deal for the past 12 years and they've really thrived in becoming the most popular sport. I think the biggest problem is the ownership disagreeing over revenue sharing but I think they are also unhappy with the salaries of incoming rookies (just look at some of the signing bonus of the top 5 picks of the past few years). Hopefully the NFL will figure something out but these cuts are only going to be more surprising as the day goes on tomorrow and I hope my Bucs will be able to work out new contracts with Brooks and Rice.

Newest Cuts:

Tennessee - Brad Hopkins
Carolina - Brandon Short
Kansas City - Eric Warfield, Dexter McCleon, Shawn Barber, and Gary Stills

niners are well below the cap so its all good for me, on the other hand the raiders are fucked so its still all good for me.

an extension was granted....

a lot of teams are fucked...it was reported by some football guru, who called into weei a new england based sports radio show, Peter King (i think), that several teams may have to have less then a full roster as they financially may not be able to get under the salary cap. It was expected to be between 105 and 112 million.

[quote name='ryanbph']an extension was granted....

a lot of teams are fucked...it was reported by some football guru, who called into weei a new england based sports radio show, Peter King (i think), that several teams may have to have less then a full roster as they financially may not be able to get under the salary cap. It was expected to be between 105 and 112 million.[/quote]
that's what happens when you try to buy a championship.

[quote name='ryanbph']an extension was granted....

a lot of teams are fucked...it was reported by some football guru, who called into weei a new england based sports radio show, Peter King (i think), that several teams may have to have less then a full roster as they financially may not be able to get under the salary cap. It was expected to be between 105 and 112 million.[/QUOTE]

that is very true. teams like the redskins, raiders, broncos and titans are just over 100 million dollars right now. thats y teams have to build through the draft very well b/c u can save money in certain positions. 1st round picks should be pro bowl players, 2nd-4th rounds should be solid starters. 5th-7th round picks should provide depth and special team quality. free agency is to pick up players u really need if u think the draft is weak at a position (this year WRs and CBs are a bit weak. also i think uncapped season in 2007 will be diasterous for the nfl in the long-term since owners like dan synder, jerry jones, and bob mcnair would have field day taking free agents off the market. plus i think the draft picks salaries are really really outrageous. rookies should be slotted up to 5 mil signing bonuses at most instead 20 millions for the no.1 pick. the nfl is the sport where pretty much every team has a chance to win and head to the playoffs every year unlike the mlb and somewhat the nba.

[quote name='DT778']niners are well below the cap so its all good for me, on the other hand the raiders are fucked so its still all good for me.[/quote]

The Raiders are fucked every year on the cap but they always make it under.

None of these moves really surprise me. A player is cut for a reason: because they were overpaid. Sam Madison was, at one time, an elite NFL cornerback. He's not anymore. Mike Anderson is a product of a system and is certainly expendible...

Or take a look at what the Jets are doing... I believe they cut Kevin Mawae (or will soon), and also might cut loose Pennington. If this were 2002, you'd think they were crazy. But it's not, so they're not. Pennington's career is now about as tainted as could be. It doesn't look like his arm is going to hold up.. just feels falling apart. And Mawae, as good as he is, was limited to 6 games last year and is over 35 years old.

These aren't really surprising. The name attached to these guys are misleading... because you trick yourself into thinking they're actually good. (Not to say they're not good... but I don't really think any of the guys are elite, worth-paying-as-much-as-they-want type of guys.)

I saw the following from the Indy Star(http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/SPORTS03/603030498/1100):

Stephen Burbank (an arbitrator) ruled the Colts could not perform a bookkeeping maneuver involving the contracts of quarterback Peyton Manning and wide receiver Marvin Harrison. The team expected to convert roster bonuses of $9 million for Manning and $10 million for Harrison into signing bonuses, a tactic that significantly lowers a player's salary cap number.

Unable to tweak the contracts, the Colts face the prospect of carrying Manning at $17.8 million and Harrison at $14.4 million against the cap.

Current cap = $94.5 million
Peyton = 18.8% of cap
Marvin = 15.2% of cap

So the Colts have 2 guys on the team accounting for 34% of the teams' salary. That just seems a little nuts to me. Yes they're good, but I still don't agree that they're that good.

And I'm a Colts fan.

Revenue sharing should not change from what it is today. The bad owners in the NFL, like Arizona and Cleveland, don't want to invest in their team. Bob Kraft took the Patriots, who were a laughingstock on par with the Saints, and completely unprofitable, and made that team what it is today. He built a brand new stadium with his own money, not taxpayer money. These horrible owners like Bill Bidwell just want to get taxpayer funded stadiums, not spend a dime on their team, and put that revenue sharing money in their pocket. Why should they attempt to make money, when the stronger teams will just make the money for them, and write them a check? If there is 100% revenue sharing, it will be the end of the NFL.

So the Bengals owner doesn't want to sell the naming rights to his stadium because its named after his father, fine. But why should the Patriots write him a check because he refuses to make that money?

Also, take a guess as to which team in the NFL is the most profitable. Just guess. The answer? The Cincinnati Bengals. They have a free stadium, spend no money, and rake in that revenue sharing money.

[quote name='Blitz']The "new" NHL is horrible. I hope that is not the lead the NFL follows.[/QUOTE]
the new nhl ad campaign is horrible. the league itself is great. there is no reason why any team should not be able to be a contender every year now, unlike the past where detroit could buy a cup, the penguins couldn't afford anyone, and the rangers were waaay overpaid. now team's only excuses are poor front office management and underperforming athletes, not they can't afford a decent player. i'm a penguins fan myself and i'll admit the front office sucks. they proved that a team that bleed money in the previous system can now go after star players and make a profit. and when is the last time that the playoff race was this tight with a month left to play? i can't wait to see what teams make moves at the trade deadline (like edmonton, atlanta, toronto). this is the most exciting year of hockey in a long time. i just think that other sports could learn from the nhl's mistakes that cost a whole season, retool their cba's, and avoid the stupidity of 2 players eating up a third of the budget and having to cut so many players to stay under the cap.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Good, I hope the NFL dies[/quote]

Then why bother posting in this thread? Its useless to fill up a thread with posts like these. Don't like whats in the thread, then move right along.

Back on topic-

I hope that the Bucs are able to keep both Rice and Brooks. Brooks will probably be easir for them to renegotiate with, as he has done so already and will most likely retire a Buc. As for Rice, not sure if he is willing to do the same or not.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Then why bother posting in this thread? Its useless to fill up a thread with posts like these. Don't like whats in the thread, then move right along.
[/quote]

Because I grew up in Detroit, you insensitive prick. Since the Lions will never be in a Superbowl, let alone win one, then dammit I don't want anyone else to win one either!

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Because I grew up in Detroit, you insensitive prick. Since the Lions will never be in a Superbowl, let alone win one, then dammit I don't want anyone else to win one either![/quote]

Not that I said anything that made it true, but the insensitive prick remark isn't needed, but then again its never surprising.

Also, just because you live in, near, or around a city with a pro team, doesn't mean you have to be a fan of theirs. I despise all Indiana pro teams, all 2 of them, and love to see them fail.

Growing up in Detroit gives you no reason to hate the NFL, hate the Lions ownership and management before you hate the NFL.

newest cuts:
Seattle - Jamie Sharper, Andre Dyson
Atlanta - Brady Smith
Pittsburgh - Tommy Maddox, Willie Williams
Dallas - La'Roi Glover, Dat Nguyen (retirement)

bread's done
Back