NHL Discussion 2015-2016

Buffalo players? I'm sort of glad St. Louis took the division, but I also wish they didn't have home ice. It would be cheaper for me and they don't tend to do well in the playoffs with home ice. I'd also rather get Chicago out of the way first round than see if it's Nashville or Chicago in round 2, hoping they make it that far. Now it's one of 3 teams, Chicago still being one, Minnesota and Winnipeg. Not sure who I'd rather the Blues face.
Toronto players are worse. After all, Tyler Myers, went from 13 points and -15 in 47 games to 15 points and +9 in 24 games.

F**kin' Washington Cheapshots, I can't stand that damn team.
Gooning it up in Game 82 like a bunch of morons. I actually hope the Islanders knock that piece of shit team out in the first round.

Congrats to Ottawa, they deserve to be there. Hope they stay at the first Wild Card and play Montreal. That would be a fun matchup.

F**kin' Washington Cheapshots, I can't stand that damn team.
Gooning it up in Game 82 like a bunch of morons. I actually hope the Islanders knock that piece of shit team out in the first round.

Congrats to Ottawa, they deserve to be there. Hope they stay at the first Wild Card and play Montreal. That would be a fun matchup.
What you don't want your Rangers getting Ottawa in the first round?

I wouldn't blame you. Drawing the Sens or Flames in the first round could be tough. Here's to hoping Boston gets it done tonight and Pittsburgh doesn't haha.

Strong game by the Blues. They were able to rest a few guys and still get the W. Also nice to see Steen and Tarasenko back and doesn't look like they missed a beat. Now just got wait for the ducks and the 'yotes tonight to see who we get.

What you don't want your Rangers getting Ottawa in the first round?

Ha Ha Ha. I'm not gonna lie, I'd rather not play them in the first round.
Even though the Rangers match up pretty well with them, they have been on a real hot streak lately.

The matchups ended up very much as I hoped they would in the East. I'm good with playing the banged up Penguins in the first round and avoiding Montreal, Ottawa and Tampa for the time being.

Well it's now official:

For the west it's:

St. Louis - Minnesota

Nashville - Chicago

Anaheim - Winnipeg

Vancouver - Calgary

For the east it's:

Montreal - Ottawa

Tampa Bay - Detroit

New York Rangers - Pittsburgh

Washington - New York Islanders

As I read earlier, if you can correctly pick winners of the first round play the lottery.  I really hope to see the Rangers and Islanders play each other in the second round.  As for the first I think St. Louis (more hopeful wishing than anything), Anaheim and Vancouver (prefer Calgary to win, but I don't expect it to happen) will all move on in the west.  Nashville and Chicago I'm not sure about.  That series could go both ways.  For the east I have no clue.  I really don't keep up with them much.  I think Rangers will move on and I'm hopeful that the Islanders will.  As for the other 2 match ups I'm not sure.  Ottawa could get an upset over Montreal, but I doubt it.  Tampa Bay and Detroit I'm really not sure about.

The Wings/Bolts is such a toss up. Bolts are sick at home this year... However, the Wings have actually had quite a bit of success on the road. TB won 3 of 4. The only one Detroit won was the last with Mrazek in net and was a shutout.

Howard has regained himself so it appears, although I think I'd still rather see Mrazek in net. He has had success against many of the TB players after facing them in the Calder Cup with the Griffins in his first year. Like Nate said about Nashville, they could win in 6 or 7 or get swept. I'm going with my boys in 7.

As for the rest:

Nashville in 6
Blues in 6
Jets in 7
Calgary in 5

Ottawa in 6
Rangers in 5
Caps in 5
Wings in 7

Haha... Good thing I'm not a gambling man.

So pissed the way the Bruins ended the year. Ugh. Playoffs should be fun though. I'm going to follow Ottawa and the Islanders in the East and Calgary and Saint Louis in the West. This probably means all 4 teams are getting bounced in the first round lol. Looking forward to this

Yeah...I have zero confidence in Nashville right now. They looked so bad down the stretch. They finished 6-12-3 in their final 21 games. That's one quarter of the season where they were just terrible. They've got the tools, but I'm not sure you can just snap out of that. Totally feels like a team that blew it's load early. I'm not even sure what Laviolette can say to them to wake them up. I'll hope for the best, but I'm prepared for a disappointing fizzle to what had been an amazing season.

I wouldn't count Nashville out just yet.  Not against Chicago.  They have been hit and miss without Kane.  If Nashville can play like they did most of the season then Nashville is moving on in 5 or 6.  If not then I think it's going 7 and is anyone's game.

Maybe, but where I would give Chicago a clear advantage is playoff experience and knowing what it takes to win the big games. I've seen a lot of people say if Nashville plays like they did before...", but the thing is they've been trying to for like 7 weeks now and have been struggling big time.

I haven't given up all hope, but from a logical perspective, you don't want to go into the most important games playing the worst you've played all season. Unless Laviolette or Fisher or Ellis says something that just lights a raging fire under their asses, I don't know how you right the ship in such a short amount of time. But hey, I'd love to be wrong, haha. :)

I wouldn't count Nashville out just yet. Not against Chicago. They have been hit and miss without Kane. If Nashville can play like they did most of the season then Nashville is moving on in 5 or 6. If not then I think it's going 7 and is anyone's game.
If it gets bad enough, Kane will play, I think Chicago takes it in 5

I expect them to bring Kane back too early.  Be it against Nashville, or in round 2 hopefully against St. Louis.  Complete Hockey News on Facebook reported that it's now expected to see him play against Nashville.  I know it's a Facebook news page, but they have been correct on things in the past.  I'm sure they got that from a source in Chicago.  Hell that source is probably a writer for a newspaper that posted it on Twitter before it came out the next day in the papers.  When before it was said Kane wouldn't make it till at best the 2nd round.  If he comes back and Chicago plays like we expect I think that only 2 teams in the west can eliminate them, and I'm hoping Nashville does it so that St. Louis doesn't have to.  I have seen a number of predictions saying St. Louis will make it to the Cup Finals. One showed them playing Detroit and Detroit winning the cup, all others seem to have them against Tampa Bay and St. Louis winning the cup.  I myself had picked Tampa Bay out of the east and St. Louis out of the west.  St. Louis mostly because I'm hopeful Blues fan.  

2-0 Preds after Crawford goes to play the puck behind the net and lets it squirt out the other side for an easy goal. Early leads make me nervous, but it sure beats losing.

Just hope Nashville can keep up this intensity. They're crushing Chicago in the hitting department and the arena is rocking.

Make that 3-0 as Wilson nets his 2nd on the tip. Keep it up, boys!

Yup...here we go...usual Preds backing off. 3-2 now in the 2nd. Nashville had a few PPs and barely got any shots. I hate that they do this. Just keep playing hard for Christ's sake. No lead is big enough.

Annnd 3-3 now thanks to another stupid penalty. Up by 3 and taking horrible penalties. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird game. Preds score 3 in the 1st. Hawks score 3 in the 2nd. Nobody has scored since and we're headed to double OT. Nice of them to do nothing during the hour I was getting my daughter to sleep though, haha.

I have seen a number of predictions saying St. Louis will make it to the Cup Finals. One showed them playing Detroit and Detroit winning the cup, all others seem to have them against Tampa Bay and St. Louis winning the cup. I myself had picked Tampa Bay out of the east and St. Louis out of the west. St. Louis mostly because I'm hopeful Blues fan.
Damn where was that prediction at? I haven't seen a single prediction where the Wings made it out of the first round. Yahoo/Puck Daddy had 12 or so today and all had Tampa outing them in 5 and one person had them in 6.

As for the Preds, just got home and caught the 1st OT. I think the refs botched that no-call on breakaway, then turn around and called a horrible tripping because that fucking bender Bickell doesn't know how to skate. Hopefully they come out and get a quick one.

Yeah, that non-call really pissed me off. How obvious does it need to be that Keith tried to yank him down from behind? Such a bitch move.

Yeah, that non-call really pissed me off. How obvious does it need to be that Keith tried to yank him down from behind? Such a bitch move.
That and he had his stick under the front of the stick.

And as I type this that shithead gets the GW goal. fuck!

Looks like the Flames and Nucks might go to OT. Tied at 1 with 5 left.

Yup...fucking fuck you, Duncan Keith. Always nice to be able to cheat and still win. I don't know how Chicago brings in a backup goalie and he plays lights out though. It's that same playoff voodoo bullshit you see in other sports. Bring in some unknown asshat scrub, and nobody can figure him out. fucking stupid.

Yup...fucking fuck you, Duncan Keith. Always nice to be able to cheat and still win. I don't know how Chicago brings in a backup goalie and he plays lights out though. It's that same playoff voodoo bullshit you see in other sports. Bring in some unknown asshat scrub, and nobody can figure him out. fucking stupid.
Still saying your Preds beat the fuckhawks. I feel like the longer games and as the series goes on, the Hawks will fade from the hits.

As for the Nucks/Flames holy shit that was a great last 5 minutes. Back and forth non-stop. I'd really like to see the Flames push through to the West Finals. Hard to hate on a team that has done what they have with such a young team (same goes for the Sens unless my Wings get them).

Yeah, I caught the end of the Flames-Canucks game and enjoyed it even if I don't really care for either team.  Don't really have much of a rooting interest this season with the Avs out of it but playoff hockey is still great to watch.

Damn where was that prediction at? I haven't seen a single prediction where the Wings made it out of the first round. Yahoo/Puck Daddy had 12 or so today and all had Tampa outing them in 5 and one person had them in 6.

As for the Preds, just got home and caught the 1st OT. I think the refs botched that no-call on breakaway, then turn around and called a horrible tripping because that fucking bender Bickell doesn't know how to skate. Hopefully they come out and get a quick one.

Most of what I have seen are from fans or media sites don't have their heads up the hawks ass. Complete Hockey News on Facebook is the one media page I remember seeing posting it. I think it was early on in this season that they were predicting nightly winners and were doing a good job of it at first.

As for the games last night, I hope I'm right and Ottawa gets the upset over Montreal, starting to think I could be wrong and that Islanders take that series, still think Chicago and Nashville will go 7 even though I put Chicago in 6 on my bracket and I hope I'm right with Calgary over Vancouver.

Out of Nashville and Chicago I think it can be anyone's game even though like I said I have Chicago in 6, may have put 7 I can't remember. My stream went out once that game started so I couldn't watch the first hour of it and from 7:30 central to 8:30 central I couldn't watch any hockey. It was nice to see that locking out the credit cards to only select states worked. I hope St. Louis does that if both teams face each other next round, and if not then next season. I don't care if it does make it more of a pain in the ass to get in.

Ottawa/Montreal was a wild game last night. Really hope that series goes 7.
Subban derserves to sit for a couple of games for that slash. And I live Ottawa's coach after the game:
Saying the league can either suspend him, or just give our guys 5 min. When we return the favor.
Ha Ha Ha, good for him.

Subban derserves to sit for a couple of games for that slash.
That was definitely a nasty slash and about as blatant as you get. I doubt he gets any kind of suspension for it though.

I am hoping the preds beat the Hawks, so it sucked they let the Hawks come back and get that one last night. As a few others said, they definitely got jobbed on that no call on Duncan Keith. It was pretty obvious when it happened he took his right arm and pulled the guy down. Having said that, you can't be giving up 3-0 leads in the playoffs and expect to go very far.

That was definitely a nasty slash and about as blatant as you get. I doubt he gets any kind of suspension for it though.

I am hoping the preds beat the Hawks, so it sucked they let the Hawks come back and get that one last night. As a few others said, they definitely got jobbed on that no call on Duncan Keith. It was pretty obvious when it happened he took his right arm and pulled the guy down. Having said that, you can't be giving up 3-0 leads in the playoffs and expect to go very far.
Yeah...blowing a 3 goal lead is definitely the underlying problem. But it was so early. Crawford gave up 3 goals on 12 shots and Chicago replaced him. Nashville did get pretty sloppy in the 2nd, taking a lot of penalties (2 of the 3 goals were powerplay)...but the Preds didn't entirely disappear and shut down.

They outshot Chicago 54-42 for the night, and 38-25 after the 2nd period. That son of a bitch Darling stopped all 42 shots he faced. 26 year old backup journeyman just playing out of his mind. I'm not sure what you do with that.

I can't believe that game was only 2-1.
With all the injuries the Pens had, all the penalties they took, and giving up a goal in the first few seconds like that, I thought the Rangers would've had an easier time tonight. Fleury was pretty damn good in this game.
Oh well, its a win and I'll take it.

Shea Weber slapshot to the dome?
Haha, I'd take it. Honestly, I hope they get nasty in Game 2. Goon it up with an unimportant player (Volchenkov or Ekholm or somebody) and just go after Kane. Chicago drew first blood with some of the crap they pulled in Game 1. It's time for Nashville to crank it up and start laying people the fuck out. They can't have those listless periods like they did in the 2nd. At least have somebody start a fight or something to wake the team back up.

Haha, I'd take it. Honestly, I hope they get nasty in Game 2. Goon it up with an unimportant player (Volchenkov or Ekholm or somebody) and just go after Kane. Chicago drew first blood with some of the crap they pulled in Game 1. It's time for Nashville to crank it up and start laying people the fuck out. They can't have those listless periods like they did in the 2nd. At least have somebody start a fight or something to wake the team back up.
Nothing would make me happier to see someone tee off on Kane or Toews. Preferably Weber.

Same goes for Perry in that series. I can't stand that little fuck. I'm praying for Buff or Meyers to catch him with his head down.

Hopefully St. Louis does a better job over the next 3 games.  Thankfully we wont see a third year in a row of Steen getting the game winner in OT for game one and Jackman for game 2.  Hopefully this repeats the San Jose series in 2012 and the Blues win the next 4 without the injury of a goaltender.  The fans last night at that game really made things worse, and I don't think I can take much more of it.  I'm hoping that the idiot next to me was just there for one game and not a season ticket holder. If so part of me hopes that tomorrow is the last home game I'll attend till next season.  The other part is willing to deal with it to see them win the cup.  However it's a struggle.  The guy has to be close to 50 and was having a tantrum.  It was just game one, sure the team didn't look to be playing their game or anything that looked like the game they played all season, but it's just game one.  I was only able to enjoy the game after the first empty net all because the guy and his buddy left.  When St. Louis made it a 3-2 game I was really hoping for that 3rd goal to tie it up just so that guy would feel like an idiot, but I was worried about Steen then getting the OT winner for the 3rd year in a row.  This guy next to me was one of them that have to yell come on for every thing.  His arms were flying all over the place and it didn't help the more he moved the more it smelled like he needed to be changed.  However he was also yelling every time he moved so it could have been his breath smelled like he licked a diaper. End of game I read that someone tossed a beer bottle on the ice and I did see someone throw their rally towel on the ice.  I can't blame them with the towel.  If I had close enough seats and it was the last game causing them to be eliminated again I would probably have done the same out of frustration.  The booing though is what really was bad.  I get the frustration, but it's only game one.  Now if it was an elimination game I could understand, but not for game one.  

Hopefully St. Louis does a better job over the next 3 games. Thankfully we wont see a third year in a row of Steen getting the game winner in OT for game one and Jackman for game 2. Hopefully this repeats the San Jose series in 2012 and the Blues win the next 4 without the injury of a goaltender. The fans last night at that game really made things worse, and I don't think I can take much more of it. I'm hoping that the idiot next to me was just there for one game and not a season ticket holder. If so part of me hopes that tomorrow is the last home game I'll attend till next season. The other part is willing to deal with it to see them win the cup. However it's a struggle. The guy has to be close to 50 and was having a tantrum. It was just game one, sure the team didn't look to be playing their game or anything that looked like the game they played all season, but it's just game one. I was only able to enjoy the game after the first empty net all because the guy and his buddy left. When St. Louis made it a 3-2 game I was really hoping for that 3rd goal to tie it up just so that guy would feel like an idiot, but I was worried about Steen then getting the OT winner for the 3rd year in a row. This guy next to me was one of them that have to yell come on for every thing. His arms were flying all over the place and it didn't help the more he moved the more it smelled like he needed to be changed. However he was also yelling every time he moved so it could have been his breath smelled like he licked a diaper. End of game I read that someone tossed a beer bottle on the ice and I did see someone throw their rally towel on the ice. I can't blame them with the towel. If I had close enough seats and it was the last game causing them to be eliminated again I would probably have done the same out of frustration. The booing though is what really was bad. I get the frustration, but it's only game one. Now if it was an elimination game I could understand, but not for game one.
Minnesota is a frustrating team to play, be prepared...

Good win tonight....but Weber getting hurt really sucks. Hope it's not too serious. Fisher was already out of this one.

You have to think that Crawford won't be starting game 3 though. He got lit up in that 3rd period.

Also, could the refs blow Chicago any harder in this series? They literally got away with cheating again...this time getting a goal out of it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXtc3Dg3ogI[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Washington played a lot more physical then I remember last night, at the start of the third they had 54 hits and wore down the Islanders... if they can keep that up they could go far.

it's exactly what Minnesota did to the Avs last year... punished us with their bigger size and wore the team down that we let them back in it towards the end of the series.  It works...  Now let's see if they keep it up or let down.

Good win tonight....but Weber getting hurt really sucks. Hope it's not too serious. Fisher was already out of this one.

You have to think that Crawford won't be starting game 3 though. He got lit up in that 3rd period.

Also, could the refs blow Chicago any harder in this series? They literally got away with cheating again...this time getting a goal out of it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXtc3Dg3ogI[/youtube]
Yea, Weber is tough to lose, but hopefully it is nothing too bad.

Wow to that goal. All 6 were even in the celebration. I missed that part of the game again. I got home late and only saw the 3rd. It was nice to see them just shit on Crawford though.

After the game I switched to Nucks/Flames... Damn their is some hatred there.

Yeah, I've seen some people claim that Ekholm "prevented" Sharp from getting off the ice. But 1. that still doesn't justify Kane jumping the gun and just taking off down the ice. And 2. I feel like you could make just as big of an argument that Sharp prevented Ekholm from getting back on defense.

I'm glad it ended up not costing Nashville the game, but I still don't know how you allow that to happen...especially when, like you said, they don't even try to cover it up and all six of them are there celebrating the goal. A coach's challenge sure would have been great here.

[quote name="n8rockerasu" post="12647201" timestamp="1429331640"]Good win tonight....but Weber getting hurt really sucks. Hope it's not too serious. Fisher was already out of this one.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXtc3Dg3ogI[/youtube][/quote]
Get used to it. That's how it works with Chicago. They tend to get away with a lot more than they should.

On a different note, I'm at Scottrade waiting for game 2 to start. Got word from someone that after game one the Blues players left with their heads down. Usually they talk to staff on the way out, but that night/morning depending on when they got out they didn't. They felt ashamed of their play Thursday night and they should have. Hopefully they leave today feeling better about themselves.

Looks like Connor McDavid's career is going to go where careers go to die.  I'm sure everyone knows Edmonton won the draft, and I'm sure they will pick him.  This is what no one wanted.  The day Edmonton became the last team in the league it was said by a lot of people that it would be horrible for him to go there.  For the most part no one wanted him to go there because it would be a waste of his talent and skill.  Then Buffalo took that last spot and people were much happier till last night.  Edmonton now has 4 number one picks in the last 6 years and still have not seen playoffs.  I hope things work out for him, but I can't see him being the player everyone thinks he will be playing with Edmonton.  

Ugh...Nashville is just giving up too many goals. Rinne putting up a save percentage of 83% isn't going to cut it against high level teams. I read an article before this series started that pointed out that despite all the praise Rinne has gotten this year, since the All Star break, Crawford actually had better numbers (save percentage, gaa, etc.). I don't know if he's tired or just can't perform in big spots, but it's frustrating. Preds outshooting Chicago 28-24 and losing 4-2. Not acceptable.

Now you know how Blues fans feel. Don't know what it is about Chicago, but they can be down and still find a way to win. At least Nashville fans can go to playoff games and not deal with Chicago fans this year. If both St. Louis and Chicago move on Scottrade Center is going to be half full of Hawks fans because Stillman won't do like Nashville did. He won't go to that extreme to keep Hawks fans out.

Wow!! That was one of the most pathetic games I have ever seen the Blues play. I don't even know where to start, just horrible.
Did you miss game one? This team is really hard to watch this year in playoffs. Games one and 3 they showed vary little to no effort at all. Allen is the only one that has played a full 60 in all 3 games and if some how they do make it past this round, and all the way to the Cup finals and win it Allen is the only one the deserves his name on it. This team has become even more of a joke in the playoffs this year after the games one and 3 efforts. Last 3 road playoff games were 0-1, 0-2 and now 0-3. I expect tomorrow them to be 0-4.

How about that big signing of Stastny? Exactly what he did here all the time, no consistency at all, hot or cold, mostly long cold streaks
Can't really judge him this year. He was injured early in the season and was on a line with Berglund and Paajarvi. Paajarvi has been sent to the Wolves and replaced with Jaskin. Berglund is streaky, and seems to be carried by the line he's on or causes that line to not be as good as it could be. Because of this both Berglund and Stastny have moved from line to line till Jaskin came up. Stastny and Jaskin have been a really good line. When Reaves and Schwartz have been put into the mix they have done really well. Yes, Stastny's contract was for a lot more than it should have been, but he really hasn't been given that much of a chance with the line. Like I said early in the season when he wasn't injured he was bounced line to line along with Berglund till he had to carry Berglund and Paajarvi. Depending on the off season I expect next season to see a line of Schwartz-Stastny-Jaskin. Then we will be able to tell how well signing him was.

No, I saw game one as well and they played like shit in that one too. I thought they were even worse this game if that's possible. They just look completely lost. The Wild are a good team, but not as good as the Blues are making them look ATM. Unfortunately, I don't see them flipping a switch and fixing the way they are playing right now....but I hope they find some way to get it done.

Did you miss game one? This team is really hard to watch this year in playoffs. Games one and 3 they showed vary little to no effort at all. Allen is the only one that has played a full 60 in all 3 games and if some how they do make it past this round, and all the way to the Cup finals and win it Allen is the only one the deserves his name on it. This team has become even more of a joke in the playoffs this year after the games one and 3 efforts. Last 3 road playoff games were 0-1, 0-2 and now 0-3. I expect tomorrow them to be 0-4.

Can't really judge him this year. He was injured early in the season and was on a line with Berglund and Paajarvi. Paajarvi has been sent to the Wolves and replaced with Jaskin. Berglund is streaky, and seems to be carried by the line he's on or causes that line to not be as good as it could be. Because of this both Berglund and Stastny have moved from line to line till Jaskin came up. Stastny and Jaskin have been a really good line. When Reaves and Schwartz have been put into the mix they have done really well. Yes, Stastny's contract was for a lot more than it should have been, but he really hasn't been given that much of a chance with the line. Like I said early in the season when he wasn't injured he was bounced line to line along with Berglund till he had to carry Berglund and Paajarvi. Depending on the off season I expect next season to see a line of Schwartz-Stastny-Jaskin. Then we will be able to tell how well signing him was.
That's fine... but that's what we said here. I was still mad at losing him, but iginla more than replaced his production and did more in the terms of points then Stastny did since his rookie season...

[quote name="bestkeeper14" post="12652255" timestamp="1429630347"]That's fine... but that's what we said here. I was still mad at losing him, but iginla more than replaced his production and did more in the terms of points then Stastny did since his rookie season...[/quote]
I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy. I think Armstrong over paid by 1.5 to 2 million a year. He also over paid a lot for Berglund and made the stupid move of giving him a NTC. I'm holding out hope that next season a line with Schwartz - Stastny - Jaskin will get us what we expected out of him this season. In other words I'm holding out hope for next season and if he doesn't work then he needs to go. He's making too much and the upcoming free agents are going to cause cap issues for the Blues. Tarasenko will be RFA and with his numbers will cost. It's bad when his agent won't talk till end of season. Allen has done better than expected and with how things look will be the starter next season. He will be RFA and could be costly as Elliott is making about 2.5. I think expectations will be high for Stastny next year and if he doesn't produce will be gone.

Preds essentially facing elimination right now. 2-2 going to OT...and Chicago outshot them 12-5 in the 3rd. They're just being outworked. There's definitely something to be said for having been there before.

Nashville just looks lost. All the good things they did the first 3/4 of the season have disappeared. In a way, it would be fitting for them to be eliminated at home in Game 5. Through February 4th, they were 20-2-1 at home. Just seems like they've gassed. Blew their wad too early. So frustrating.

bread's done
Back