NHL free agency heats up

[quote name='Baseball2g']Good pickup by the Pens, but one question, where's the defense?[/QUOTE]

Defense is not as important when your winning 10-8 every night.

This topic lost intrest quick.
To update for anyone who doesn't know:

Vancouver resign Sedin brothers and Bertuzzi was re-instated

San Jose resigns Wayne Primeau, Preissing, Ekman, Davison, Fahey

Pittsburgh acquired Thibault from Chicago for a 4th round pick in next years draft

Tampa Bay signed Sean Burke, Boyle, DiMaio, Afanasenkov

Toronto sign Belak and Berg

Columbus sign Hrdina

Washington sign Majesky and Mathieu Biron

Carolina sign Williams

Rumor Mill:

Mogilny to Florida

I'm not very optimistic about Tampa's chances with Burke and Grahame in net this year. They'll make the playoffs for sure, but they won't get anywhere.

Burke use to be great he ruled with the Devils but faded away with Phoenix and dryed up with the Flyers. Grahame is decent but not good enough to take them anywhere.

Pittsburgh is shaping up to be a Stanley Cup contender. They now have almost all the tools to take it. Hopefully the Devils will be in their way though.

This was just posted in the News section on NHL.com.

Opening Odds to Win 2006 Stanley Cup

OPENING
TEAM ODDS

Philadelphia 5-1

Ottawa 7-1

Detroit 8-1

Calgary 10-1

Colorado 10-1

Tampa Bay 10-1

Vancouver 12-1

Boston 13-1

New Jersey 14-1

Pittsburgh 16-1

San Jose 17-1

Toronto 17-1

Dallas 18-1

Los Angeles 20-1

Chicago 22-1

Edmonton 22-1

Montreal 22-1

N.Y. Islanders 25-1

St. Louis 25-1

Atlanta 28-1

Anaheim 30-1

Florida 30-1

Nashville 35-1

Minnesota 45-1

N.Y. Rangers 45-1

Phoenix 45-1

Carolina 50-1

Columbus 50-1

Buffalo 60-1

Washington 100-1

Boston resign Thornton

New York Islanders sign Lukowich

San Jose sign Dimitrakos and extend contract on McLaren

Toronto sign Lindros

Philadelphia resign Esche

[quote name='ajh2298']
Carolina 50-1

Columbus 50-1

Buffalo 60-1
[/QUOTE]
Wow, I had no idea the Sabres look that bad.

And Thorton signing a 3 year deal screwed up a few teams planning on going after him next year. Ah well.

So who are some names to watch still left on the market?
Roman Hamrlik
Alexander Mogilny
Teemu Selanne
Curtis Joseph

Is Toronto out to sign every injury plagued past their prime player out there? First signing Allison, and now signing Lindros.

On another note, I hope Leclair ends up somewhere. He's still a decent player, and definitely deserves to be on some team.

[quote name='Doylerulez']Wow, I had no idea the Sabres look that bad.
[/QUOTE]

They lost their 2 of their best players (Satan and Zhitnik) and didn't bring in anyone to replace them. Unfortunately, I am not surprised.

toronto is stuck with a big payroll...most of the free agents they signed are to 1 year deals, to hopefully make them competitive this year. They were hoping to sign the hometown boy, in thorton.

[quote name='tinskat']They lost their 2 of their best players (Satan and Zhitnik) and didn't bring in anyone to replace them. Unfortunately, I am not surprised.[/QUOTE]
And the Sabres sucked even when they had them.

[quote name='karsh']On another note, I hope Leclair ends up somewhere. He's still a decent player, and definitely deserves to be on some team.[/QUOTE]
And he ends up on a promising team w/ the Penguins.

Other signing of note, Hamrlik signed with Calgary.....Alberta, Canada

digging the penguins again...suffered those last few years while they got rid of everyone but lemieux...now they have 3 great draft picks from the last 3 drafts, palffy, thibault, gonchar, leclair, and of course lemieux. i hope they click as a team and don't end up like the rangers all those years with an all-star team that can't even make the playoffs. i'd still like to see one solid defensive defenseman (like a scott stevens style player) added.

[quote name='darkmere']digging the penguins again...suffered those last few years while they got rid of everyone but lemieux...now they have 3 great draft picks from the last 3 drafts, palffy, thibault, gonchar, leclair, and of course lemieux. i hope they click as a team and don't end up like the rangers all those years with an all-star team that can't even make the playoffs. i'd still like to see one solid defensive defenseman (like a scott stevens style player) added.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, i thought getting rid of jagr and kaspiritis and francis was the end of the world for the pens, but i feel a come back this season. Finally we have a goalie that can win a few games.

[quote name='Baseball2g']Phoenix signed Cujo for 1 year at 900k. That team is going to win their division.[/QUOTE]
Against San Jose and Dallas? They got better, but Cujo isn't taking them to the top...

I'm just sad the Sharks haven't picked anyone up. Looks like they'll have to make some trades to get any impact players...

[quote name='beerguy961']Against San Jose and Dallas? They got better, but Cujo isn't taking them to the top...

I'm just sad the Sharks haven't picked anyone up. Looks like they'll have to make some trades to get any impact players...[/QUOTE]

Cujo couldn't take the Red Wings to the top, and he DAMN SURE ain't taking the Coyotes anywhere.

[quote name='beerguy961']Against San Jose and Dallas? They got better, but Cujo isn't taking them to the top...

I'm just sad the Sharks haven't picked anyone up. Looks like they'll have to make some trades to get any impact players...[/QUOTE]

It nice seeing the Sharks re-signing their players but I too want to see them sign an impact player.

[quote name='The Shiznit']It nice seeing the Sharks re-signing their players but I too want to see them sign an impact player.[/QUOTE]
Probably have to make a trade at this point, unless they figure Wade Redden is worth a pickup.

At least they signed Marleau and Sturm to multi year contracts, so that's one thing they did well. Last thing they wanted was to sign them to one year deals...

Pretty excited for NHL to kick back up (although with d-1 college hockey I wasn't without the hockey fix) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if the NHL season is back on. Seems as though the the superpower cable channel OLN (The outdoor life network) has won rights to broadcast 58 regular season games. OLN? That isn't on my tv package.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2137098

[quote name='TJordan522']Hey guys-
I started a Cheap Ass Gamer fantasy hockey league at Yahoo if you want to join. I figure a lot of you in this thread might be interested...
If so, here is the info:

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

League ID: 2250
Password: CAG

I hope to see a lot of you guys there!
Jordan[/QUOTE]

I signed up: KY Devils

[quote name='TJordan522']Hey guys-
I started a Cheap Ass Gamer fantasy hockey league at Yahoo if you want to join. I figure a lot of you in this thread might be interested...
If so, here is the info:

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

League ID: 2250
Password: CAG

I hope to see a lot of you guys there!
Jordan[/QUOTE]
If there's still room, I'll join when I get home from work.

[quote name='Doylerulez']If there's still room, I'll join when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]

Great....it should be a lot of fun now that the league is filling up! There is definately still room.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Heard the Wings may lose Pavel and Hank, any truth to the rumor that they're both not returning to the USA to play hockey next season?[/QUOTE]

I hope not.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Heard the Wings may lose Pavel and Hank, any truth to the rumor that they're both not returning to the USA to play hockey next season?[/QUOTE]
I think it's still a rumor right now. Kevin Allen (the hockey god of Stoney and Wojo) seemed to think that they'd be able to land Zetterberg again at the very least, and I'm hoping he's right. If we lose our young players, we're in the same situation we were before the lockout began...

bread's done
Back