Nice Psyclone Xbox Component Video Cable w/Fibre Optic Input for $17.49. YMMV.

Mr. Foo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
For those of you with an HDTV and/or those who would like to take advantage of the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound that many of the Xbox games have to offer, Circuit City has the Psyclone component video cable for $17.49 on their web site. This normally sells for $50 at CC and Best Buy.

Linky.

It says web only special, but you apparently can't order from the web site (mysteriously, I couldn't find the button to add to shopping cart). Anyway, I went into a CC B&M and complained about this and they went ahead and matched my price.

You do still need a fibre optic cable to connect the A/V receiver/preamp to the component vid cable to run digital audio but, unlike with the Monster component vid cable, you can use any standard fiber optic/TOSLINK cable with it.

EDIT: I was originally suggesting this over the Microsoft brand component cable because of the digital audio input jack for 5.1 surround sound capability, but apparently the Microsoft brand also offers it. In any case, I think the Psyclone offers a longer cable run (12ft) and likely better build quality.

The Microsoft component cable supports an optical cable, it just doesn't come with one.

I just checked out the link, and it doesn't appear that the Psyclone model comes with a digital audio cable either.

It does? Where's the jack to plug it in? Are you sure of this?

The Microsoft brand component cable that I bought just has the two channel analog cable and no jack for digital audio.

And yes, you are correct - the Psyclone does NOT come with the fiber optic cable. You need to get that separately and would only need one with the standard connectors.

[quote name='shipwreck']The Microsoft component cable supports an optical cable, it just doesn't come with one.

I just checked out the link, and it doesn't appear that the Psyclone model comes with a digital audio cable either.[/QUOTE]

I'm 100% positive as I have two Xbox's hooked up with the two different Microsoft HDTV packs.

The first gen versions have a box where you plug all the cables. The optical cable input is not on the same side as the RCA jacks if I remember correctly. I think it is actually on an end. I might not be remembering this right, but there is definitely an optical plug.

The second gen versions don't have a box and it is all just one piece. The optical cable plugs directly into the input plug that you plug into the Xbox.

Ok, I guess I have the second gen one but never noticed the input jack, hence why I went out and got the Psyclone.

I guess I will take a closer look when I get home. Thanks.

Guess the Psyclone is still a bargain considering it regularily sells for $50 and is still a couple of bucks cheaper than the Microsoft brand, and I think it offers a longer cable run (12 ft or so).

Though I guess the intent of my post regarding the digital audio jack is now moot.

[quote name='Mr. Foo']Guess the Psyclone is still a bargain considering it regularily sells for $50 and is still a couple of bucks cheaper than the Microsoft brand, and I think it offers a longer cable run (12 ft or so).
[/QUOTE]
> Did you mean the Monster brand? The M$ version is only $20.

[quote name='tokerblue']> Did you mean the Monster brand? The M$ version is only $20.[/QUOTE]

The Psyclone brand is $17.50 so it is still cheaper than what most stores are selling the Microsoft brand for.

I think the Microsoft brand normally sells for $20 in most stores, and the Monster brand for significantly more.

In any case, if you get the Monster brand I think you need to buy their digital audio cable as the input port will only work with their cable.

In any case, besides their crappy build quality and ridiculous overpricing, Monster Cable will never get any money out of me primarily because of this.

[quote name='tokerblue']> Did you mean the Monster brand? The M$ version is only $20.[/QUOTE]

I have the first gen MS box connector which actually does have the Audio port on the same side as the video connectors. The new one piece cables look cool too but I like my old version just fine.

[quote name='Santurio']I have the first gen MS box connector which actually does have the Audio port on the same side as the video connectors. The new one piece cables look cool too but I like my old version just fine.[/QUOTE]

The new one piece versions are actually a little more of a pain because they require that you have a longer optical cable than you would have needed with the first generation ones. This may not be that big of a deal for most people, but for some it makes a difference.

[quote name='shipwreck']The new one piece versions are actually a little more of a pain because they require that you have a longer optical cable than you would have needed with the first generation ones. This may not be that big of a deal for most people, but for some it makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

I agree.... i got the new MS HDTV pack and the optical cable barely reaches my reciever... i think the old version came with a dongle that stuck out an extra few inches and allowed you to use other non-properiety component cables.

The price online is showing as $25 now, but it doesn't say 'web only special' anymore. The price has been changing on these from around $15 to $25 and back for the last couple weeks. $25 is not a bad price for these, but I think they will drop the price back down again.

bread's done
Back