Nicheflix selling off their used inventory on eBay

Good looking out! Some interesting stuff there.

Although I noticed some of the pricing is weird on some movies.

While the used Hero and House of Fury weres dirt cheap and some other HK movies as well, after shipping movies like Initial D and Divergence I can get in Chinatown for maybe $1 or $2 more new after shipping.

Also, just a warning, unless they put the wrong pictures the Infernal Affairs they have listed are NOT the LE editions.

I swear to god... Why is it that R2 gets all the good DVD releases and we get shit? Right off the top of the list I see Scream Uncut (I didn't even know there was an uncut version) and Grosse Point Blanke (anamorphic widescreen unlike the crap we got here). Now, I'd order them but at $40 and $50 each, they're a bit steep.

Quick question, hope somebody knows, is the 360 a region free dvd player? I'd like to pick a few of these up.

Edit: No need to answer, I found the answer.

[quote name='robzilla']Quick question, hope somebody knows, is the 360 a region free dvd player? I'd like to pick a few of these up.

Edit: No need to answer, I found the answer.[/QUOTE]

Well, what is the answer?

Also, if I do have something region-free, but in PAL format, can it be converted to NTSC by my 360?

Hmm, some good stuff I see is "Day Watch", "Infernal Affairs 2" (2-Disc SE), "Hero: Director's Cut" ($4!)

But then again, I'd rather wait for the official US release of "Day Watch", and I heard "Affairs 2" was only okay. Still, "Hero"'s a good deal.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Well, what is the answer?

Also, if I do have something region-free, but in PAL format, can it be converted to NTSC by my 360?[/QUOTE]

It's region coded. And I'm not sure about your second question.

WOW they have some BS prices like Sleepy Hollow $25.99 WTF the movie I can get for $9.99 anywhere in any store and cheaper online too.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Well, what is the answer?

Also, if I do have something region-free, but in PAL format, can it be converted to NTSC by my 360?[/QUOTE]The 360 natively converts PAL to NTSC(I've tested it myself), so as long as it's region free it should be fine.

[quote name='Sejad']WOW they have some BS prices like Sleepy Hollow $25.99 WTF the movie I can get for $9.99 anywhere in any store and cheaper online too.[/QUOTE]

That's because that edition is the Japan Region 2 release which has DTS 5.1 on it. The Region 1 USA does not have that.

Here's a few answers from Mark who runs Nicheflix on any questions he saw in this thread as I told him I informed you folks about the sale:

[quote name='Mark @ Nicheflix.com']Shipping is not $2.50 per titles. I will combine to save on shipping.
Just 'request an invoice' after you're done purchasing. You can usually
get 2 or 3 movies shipped media mail for $2.50. Depends upon the case,
etc. Some of those Korean cases are big and heavy.

RE: Infernal Affairs. Those are the first release SEs. That image is
from the slip cover. Keep in mind those films have been released at least
four times in HK since those initial releases came out.[/quote]

[quote name='Demolition Man']That's because that edition is the Japan Region 2 release which has DTS 5.1 on it. The Region 1 USA does not have that.[/quote]
Oh cool!

[quote name='xgrimx']Oh how I need a region free player :([/quote]

Burn it on the computer then Re-burn it into a All region dvd there problem solved.

[quote name='Blade']Lol region 0 - bootlegged jftr[/QUOTE]

Region 0 doesn't always mean bootleg. A number of overseas releases are Region 0 as the same disc is sold in multiple countries but often times just with slightly different artwork.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Region 0 doesn't always mean bootleg. A number of overseas releases are Region 0 as the same disc is sold in multiple countries but often times just with slightly different artwork.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most Hong Kong movies are released originally in Region 0 format.

Hong Kong is known as the bootleg capitol of the world, y/n? I don't know why they would release "official" region 0 DVD's when there are region specific versions of most titles. I'm not crapping on you Demolition Man because there's more than just R0 there, but I'm saying I don't think the official company would produce one version of a movie for the entire world if they could produce four versions and make four times the profit.

[quote name='Blade']Hong Kong is known as the bootleg capitol of the world, y/n? I don't know why they would release "official" region 0 DVD's when there are region specific versions of most titles. I'm not crapping on you Demolition Man because there's more than just R0 there, but I'm saying I don't think the official company would produce one version of a movie for the entire world if they could produce four versions and make four times the profit.[/QUOTE]

Hong Kong is totally the bootleg capitol of the world, along with China but that doesn't mean they don't produce Region 0 movies.

One may not think a company would produce official Region 0 titles, but Hong Kong does. I have a ton of them sitting in my room right now. Most asian movies will never be bought up in other regions so they aren't losing a worldwide market. And some of the recent big name movies have in fact been region locked but this is not true for most movies. Also almost every HK movie comes out with english subtitles too, which tells me they want US to buy those, because I'm sure most people in Asia don't need english subtitles.

Also the issue of piracy is so strong over there that making it region 0 is more advantageous to them because many importers will be able to buy the real thing easily with no region lock and with english subs as opposed to picking up a region cracked bootleg with fansubbed subtitles.

China is a little different from Hong Kong as their piracy is somewhat worse and movies get released on video usually after a few months of release. And they are really cheap too. However these are usually locked to region 3 and are exclusively dubbed in Mandarin regardless of what the original language is. They are usually of less quality as no time is spent on the transfer or extras.

Korea is different in that they usually provide english subtitles but still region lock themselves to region 3. But piracy is not as huge a problem over there.

Japan locks there region and usually never provides subtitles and are the most expensive to purchase.

Only recently has the US had some influence on these movies, as when Fearless was released it was locked to region 3 and the studio requested that they take out the subtitles. The Protector had english subtitles removed form its original release as well, althouth the Korean release was able to keep them. The last two big releases from China, Hero and House of Flying Daggers also have been region locked.

Oddly enough the 8 disc limited edition of Infernal Affairs says Region 3 on the box but they all ended up being Region 0. It seems this was just done to make the Weinsteins happy as IA was in limited theatre release then.

Yea Internal Affairs II and III were pretty bad I thought. Only the first one was really good.

These are mostly used discs so I'm not to sure I would want to buy them from that store anyway. I mainly use Yesasia for HK and China films.

[quote name='soxfan30']These are mostly used discs so I'm not to sure I would want to buy them from that store anyway. I mainly use Yesasia for HK and China films.[/QUOTE]

They are in near to exact like new condition as I'm a former member of Nicheflix. I only quit my membership due to not having enough time to watch everything I was renting at the time. But with Nicheflix now going from the monthly rental plans to Ala Cart (where you pay a few dollars to rent a title) he's cutting down his inventory of titles that don't rent anymore.

bread's done
Back