Ninokuni: The Ebony Wizard - Level-5 & Studio Ghibli RPG - December 9th, 2010 (Japan)

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!

Level-5 recently finished their press conference, and in it, they finally revealed the Japanese release date for their long-awaited collaboration with Studio Ghibli, Ninokuni: The Another World, December 9th, 2010. The DS version has now been christened with a new subtitle too, Ninokuni: The Ebony Wizard. (Translation by Aeana) Also mentioned at the event were Inazuma Eleven 3 and the PS3 version, Ninokuni: Queen of White Ashes. Unfortunately, no US release has been announced for any of these titles.

Ninokuni for the DS is an RPG that is similar to Dragon Quest in gameplay style, with turn-based battles, and a monster-raising element. The PS3 version retains the monster-raising element, but its battles are action-based, similar to the "Tales" series. The protagonist is a 13-year-old boy named Oliver, a resident of the American city of Hotroit.
Oliver and his friends have a passion for automobiles, building them in their spare time. One night, Oliver and one of his friends decide to sneak out to test drive their new racecar. Unfortunately, things quickly take a turn for the worse when Oliver loses control of the vehicle and plunges into a nearby river. Oliver's mother Allie, who was out looking for him, arrives at the scene in the nick of time. Allie is able to save him, but the stress of the situation causes her to have a heart attack, and she dies.

Oliver becomes understandably depressed after this occurs, until one day, when a doll that his mother gave to him suddenly comes to life.
The doll, a fairy named Shizuku, tells him of a parallel universe, "Ninokuni," a fantasy world
where he could potentially bring his mother back to life by freeing her counterpart's soul from the evil wizard Jabow
. Hearing this, Oliver decides to go with Shizuku to Ninokuni, opening the portal using the spell in a book known as the Magic Master.

There are quite a few interesting points about this game. Most notably is the collaboration with Studio Ghibli, who will be handling the anime FMVs in the game. As previously mentioned, this game involves parallel universes, so of course, some of the quests will require traveling between the two worlds, helping people/animals in one world to affect their counterparts in the other. This game is also one of the first DS games to use a 4 Gigabit (512 Megabyte) cartridge size, which the staff claim is necessary to fit in the FMVs, voiced lines, and orchestra music.

Another notable point is that the game will have a pack-in, the Magic Master book. As you can see, the Magic Master is a thick hardcover tome, filled with things like the patterns to draw for spells, enemy weaknesses, a world map, and other useful bits of information, some of it hidden.
2rmwc8x.jpg

People using the Magic Master book
A page from the Magic Master book

DS version Screenshots and artwork
Impressions @ Andriasang

1UP News Story on the Press Conference
1UP article detailing story info, quests

For the DS version, it was playable at the event, and they demoed it on stage, but the new trailer was released on the official web site. It has been uploaded to Youtube, though the official site has better quality.
June 2010 Trailer

Here's the stuff from TGS 2009: A trailer, and footage of the demo that was given away:
TGS 2009 trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I'll just let it out that I'm a Level 5 fanboy...not gonna hide it. I'm interested in anything, and everything they do....even if I'm not good at their Professor Layton series (I suck at puzzle games).

This game looks amazing. Lots of things to wonder about, though. Will it even do well enough to come over to the US? I think their recent expansion to the West (offices in ? can't remember, think it's West Coast), and the fact that they want to publish all of their own games, means it's coming, along with Inazuma Eleven.

Anyway, even if it does, what will this game cost with a massive 352 page hardcover packed along with it? $35 for the game, and $35 for the book, probably means $70. Who cares, though, amazing concept + Level 5 + Studio Ghibli = instant buy. I mean, who am I kidding.

The PS3 version really seems to be the one to get, though. Even though they said both games would have differing stories. That version looks good enough that I nearly cried after watching it.

I finally got my hands on the TGS demo. Yeah.

So I think I'm gonna go all out for this one. I'll get the game, the book, and probably as much promo merch as I can get from YAJ. I am hyped for this to the max.

bread's done
Back