Nintendo 21 - Nintendos new system's name?

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
3226770578045424.JPG

This is a picture the guy from the meeting drew from his memory.

Rumors, rumors. You either love ‘em, or you love to hate them. If you haven’t heard by now, somebody in Japan came across some secret documents destined for a Nintendo shareholder meeting. Above, is the picture this somebody drew from memory, highlighting the next-gen console’s true name: The Nintendo 21.

But that’s not all…

- planned for release at end of 2005

- medium is 2-sided 8cm disc, 5.4GB capacity, in a shellcase

- includes “Home Game function” which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity

- “Home Game function” is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and “Nintendo Home”s (? could be Form instead of Home - katakana is vague). Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network.

- “Nintendo Home” machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports “Home Game function”, also sends latest info from Nintendo.

- “Nintendo Home” is being jointly developed with Kyosera.

- controller is like GC controller but “rubbing” is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a
game by rubbing the controller/buttons. Also the controller has a slot.

- The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.

- Digital outputs included

-joystiq.com

A third party already did 'rubbing' controllers for the SNES and Genesis back in that era. They were awful. now, no games were designed specifically for them but the concept had the opposite of its intended effect. The idea was to prevent blistered thumbs from pressing too hard on the D-pad but the lack of any feedback meant players pushed even harder, giving blisters to those who'd never had them before.

controller is like GC controller but “rubbing” is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a

- The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.

:shock:

I NEED AN ADULT!

What the hell would Nintendo 21 stand for? I wish they would keep the name Revolution. So much cooler, IMO.

Cool...It's finnaly old enough to have a drink without going to Canada! I'm gonna take mine out to the bar when i buy it.

[quote name='evilmax17']Yeah, I just found this secret Nintendo document too. I'm pretty excited about it.

nintendo1xm.jpg
[/quote]

muwaha. excellent paint skilz. ;)

[quote name='Scorch']
controller is like GC controller but “rubbing” is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a

:shock:

I NEED AN ADULT![/quote]

:lol:
This "rubbing" does sound...um, interesting, to say the least.

The double-sided disc format fires off my bullshit sensors. What is the point of yet another proprietary format after the poor recption it got on the GameCube. The description implies the drive would be capable of reading both sides without user intervention. This is the only reason such a disc would require a caddy and forego a simpler format that reserves one side for artwork and titling. It isn't as those they're starved for capcity. You can count all of the GameCube games that didn't manage to squeeze into a single 1.5 GB disc without resorting to a second disc.

The GameCube format, being a DVD derivative, is already double sided but is never used that way, just as the Xbox and PS2 DVDs are never used to their fullest capacity in place of artwork and titles on the top side. Putting a second disc in the package is much too cheap to forego the aesthetic and anti-piracy qualites of silkscreened discs.

By the same reason it would be nuts to put a drive capable of reading both sides of the disc in a game system. This would add cost to every single unit of the console produced even though there is no likelihood that more than a handful of games would ever need the capacity.

Some may be inclined to say the caddy is needed due to it being a high density format but for what goal? Not capacity for games, as I've already discussed. Video playback? Does anyone believe Nintendo would try to float their own video format when companies firmly established as vendors in that field are already in a growing format war?

I really wish the hoaxsters would put more thought into this stuff.

[quote name='Rig']What the hell would Nintendo 21 stand for? I wish they would keep the name Revolution. So much cooler, IMO.[/quote]

Number of systems they've had?

NES, SNES, GB, GBPocket, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS, Gamecube, N64.. eh that's only 11.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='Rig']What the hell would Nintendo 21 stand for? I wish they would keep the name Revolution. So much cooler, IMO.[/quote]

Number of systems they've had?

NES, SNES, GB, GBPocket, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS, Gamecube, N64.. eh that's only 11.[/quote]

Famicon Disc Drive, N64 DD, Game and Watch, and I-Que are the only things I can think to add to that list

The 21 could be a version number, there are systems that were never produced. Thats why the numbers may not be adding up.

It still could be named revolution, but the code number is 21 maybe.

This drawing was probably found on a napkin in the trash at Chuck E Cheese. So this discussion is probably just for us to speculate.

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='CouRageouS']Does 21 years hold any significance?[/quote]

when did the NES/famicom come out?[/quote]

I think it was 86 in the USA, and 85 in Japan.

The 21 would no doubt refer to the 21st century -- that is to say, the century we are now in.

There was a rumor awhile back that said Nintendo's next console would be called the N5. N being obvious, and 5 being the fifth console Nintendo has made.

I just googled Nintendo and 1984 and a lot of their games are copyrighted then. Not exactly sure on the NES date yet though. But 21 is definitely looking to have something to do with years.

And I don't think its going to be called the 21 either, I'm just curious as to where the number came from.

For speculations sake, lets say they could go with a "21 Years Later" marketing thing where they use their franchise characters going from classic to the new 21 console, but then again.... after 21 years they sure need to start adding some fresh faces other than slightly different guys like Waluigi.

I highly suspect that this is fake, but I actually like the name. It sort of has a 'Nintendo grows up' feel to it, which is something Nintendo needs badly.

[quote name='Rig']What the hell would Nintendo 21 stand for? I wish they would keep the name Revolution. So much cooler, IMO.[/quote]

It should definitely stick with Revolution for console and Evolution for handheld.

I really don't like the name Nintendo 21. I felt the name, Revolution, really had a kick to it and really stuck out in one's mind. I highly doubt that that drawing is real. Nobody could remember that much from a meeting and draw it that well. My call on the matter is that it is most likely fake and that we shouldn't be too distressed by this.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I really don't like this Nintendo 21 name that is supposedly the new name. I felt the name, Revolution, really had a kcik to it and really stuck out. I highly doubt that that drawing is real. Nobody could remember that much from a meeting and draw it that well. My call on the matter is that it is most likely fake and that we should be too distressed by this.t.[/quote]

The drawing is actually pretty bad. I like evilmax's much better.

[quote name='dwsscs']The 21 could be a version number, there are systems that were never produced. Thats why the numbers may not be adding up.

It still could be named revolution, but the code number is 21 maybe.

This drawing was probably found on a napkin in the trash at Chuck E Cheese. So this discussion is probably just for us to speculate.[/quote]

Remember that the first name For the NDS was "DS," then they changed it to "Nitro," then the real name was "DS"?

[quote name='hasaki_cb']According to this site http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?history/hist3.htm the Famicom came out in Japan in 1983. In the US the NES came out in late 1985 or 1986 (it isn't very clear).[/quote]

It was test marketed in the U.S. (New York and I thought SF as well) during Nov. - Dec. 1985. It went nationwide in 1986 when the NES proved successful in it's test market.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']sweet, I see how this may be connected to the whole Demasked thingy also... A DS but console version... or something?[/quote]

Eventually. That is why Miyamoto and Reggie have both talked about online (or no-line) coming sooner than everyone thinks, but that it would be a couple of years before the true fruits would be shown.

And (other than this cheesy name) none of this is new information guys. These are the same rumors that have been in the pipeline for at least a year (I follow Nintendo very closely). Apparently, it is just not widely known information among the general gamer. Rumors are even such that Nintendo is now in charge of the DemaSked project. And that talk of "Nintendo Home/Form" is probably a "Forum," although who knows what it's name will be in the end (same with DemaSked, now that Warp Pipe is not wholely in control any longer).

[quote name='Parathod'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']I really don't like this Nintendo 21 name that is supposedly the new name. I felt the name, Revolution, really had a kcik to it and really stuck out. I highly doubt that that drawing is real. Nobody could remember that much from a meeting and draw it that well. My call on the matter is that it is most likely fake and that we should be too distressed by this.t.[/quote]

The drawing is actually pretty bad. I like evilmax's much better.[/quote]

I must concur.

OP,

Could you produce a larger, higher resolution photo of this document. I can translate the Japanese scribble to English. I'd like to see what the schematic's meaning holds.

Thanks for taking the time.

-Brian P

So, maybe 21 will be the minimum age requirement. Nintendo has been trying to disassociate themselves from kiddie games. "Touching is good.", "Rubbing is better.", "Our controllers have a slot.". They are probably already getting Sega to work on a Rez update, complete with vibrator.

...The Gamecube was
"The Fun Machine", NOW, the Nintendo 21, "The fuck Machine"

I can see the great marketing that could go with it...and you know that this would sell like f'ing hotcakes over in Europe and Japan

[quote name='Senaz28']OP,

Could you produce a larger, higher resolution photo of this document. I can translate the Japanese scribble to English. I'd like to see what the schematic's meaning holds.

Thanks for taking the time.

-Brian P[/quote]

You ask, and you shall receive.

nintendo21.jpg

This is a bunch of crap, quite frankly. The whole thing screams "bs." Nintendo is not going to call the new machine "Nintendo 21." What is it? A dedicated blackjack player?

[quote name='Wshakspear']How many years has nintendo been around? Video Game wise?[/quote]

Before making games, they made playing cards. Been in the gaming biz longer than 21 years though, if that's what you were getting at!

[quote name='Rig'][quote name='Wshakspear']How many years has nintendo been around? Video Game wise?[/quote]

Before making games, they made playing cards. Been in the gaming biz longer than 21 years though, if that's what you were getting at![/quote]

Yeah, they've been doing games since the 70's, I believe.

bread's done
Back