Nintendo 2DS w/ Pokemon X $100 at Target

While I do love the 3D screen, I really like the 2DS's design. Maybe its the 90's kid in me but I've warmed up to it, looking almost Game Boy esque. If I was on a budget or didn't have a 3DS already I'd drop the $100 to get this bundle. I just wish the battery life was better since there is more space in the casing for a bigger battery. If the 2DS had 8-10 hour battery people wouldn't debating about whether to get it as much.

Again, if you were going to spend $40 on Pokemon and you don't care about 3D at all, then paying $60 for a 2DS is completely reasonable. Yes, it has smaller screens and one speaker, so use headphones. It's a huge savings compared to the standard 3DS and much less than the XL. It's not the latest and greatest, but if all you care about are the games themselves without the 3D, then this is fine. I also find it more comfortable than the standard 3DS.

Obviously, it's not as "cool" as having the clam shell models, but it works for those trying to save money.

yes we all know you hate the 2DS, it's a cheaply made product, blah, blah, blah....
God forbid we have any kind of rational discussion about a deal. The 2DS is a very poor substitute for the XL, regardless of the price. That's pretty obvious to anyone remotely knowledgeable about Nintendo stuff. Come on.

I actually agree the 2DS is a poor trade off for the 3DS XL. But I'll probably play fewer than 10 games on it across the entire time I own it. Which makes the 2DS is a perfectly fine compromise. I'd rather have the games.

God forbid we have any kind of rational discussion about a deal. The 2DS is a very poor substitute for the XL, regardless of the price. That's pretty obvious to anyone remotely knowledgeable about Nintendo stuff. Come on.
I'm totally open to a rational discussion, you just repeat the same things over and over. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

You've said your peace, now move on. Sticking around and continuing to argue about it just makes you a troll. Some of us own the 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS and have already expressed that the 2DS is actually a pretty good system. You're free to disagree, but it's all a matter of opinion and everyone can make up their own mind based on the information that has already been presented.

Add to that, they tie digital purchases to hardware, not accounts. If your hardware breaks or is stolen, you're screwed. Terrible anti-consumer DRM, and a good reason to never buy any digital games from the company.

Some people say you can have your purchases transferred if you call them and beg/grovel, but there are plenty of cases where they still refuse to do it. And you shouldn't have to beg for your own legit purchases to be restored.
yea i forgot about that. Its like Nintendo seriously doesn't understand how the internet works. No wonder theyre crashing and burning financially.

Its to bad because despite the fact it doesn't flip down i would consider biting at 100 bucks since i dont care about 3d at all. But i see no point in having another handheld i cant use digital games OR DLC pre-order bonus's.. thats the big thing. I dont buy many digital games but a lot of rpgs and stuff come with pre order bonus's that i cant use on my XL because everythings tied to my damned 3ds

Stop trolling every Nintendo thread!!

Mods stamp out pepsiman within seconds yet this guy is allowed to say the same thing over and over in every single Nintendo thread. If you search for any Nintendo thread, there he is shitting on whatever the topic is. Enough already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't imagine looking at a 3.5" screen for anything anymore.
Everything looks smoother and less pixelated on that 3.5" screen though. I used to have a 2DS and have an XL now, and I can definitely say I noticed a difference. Also, the 2DS was way more comfortable to hold.

As a avid 2DS user, I gotta say its not bad. I enjoy using it. It gives me that Game Boy vibe everytime I play a game. Sooner or later, I will get a 3DS for more street pass options but as it stands now, it's good. I think it's a good deal to get a game and handheld for 100 bucks, plus savings for a new game, especially with the price drop on games coming (I'm in for MK7). If you on a budget, it's good.

It does, it just doesn't fit in a back pocket as easily as the clam shell models so carrying it around is not as convenient.

Getting ninja'd with every post today

Got the last 2ds/pokemon x combo @target in christiansburg, va(sorry Hokie cags)

Also price matched a 16gb sd card and eshop card at best buy. Also got the official case. Spent around 170 for everything. That got me a 16gb sd card, 2ds, case, and 50 dollars in eshop. Ended up transferring pokemon x to the 16gb card and downloaded fire emblem(kept getting errors but eventually downloaded in sleep mode). Still have 10.01 and am hoping to get mario kart when it drops in price next week. That and I am bidding for a Zelda link b/w worlds digital code.

So would you guys say it's worth it for someone who just wants to play a couple games and let them off later in the downrun? I actually had no clue 2DS played 3DS games as I've stopped following nintendo products since the DSi and this sparked a debate for me last night. I just plan on playing the recent pokemon games and bravely default since those are the only games that caught my eye. I could care less about 3D since I hate 3D and the screen size is no biggy for me.

For $100 it's worth a risk. I wish it was any other game but pokemon though. I want to test out the ergonomics and see if it's better than my xl.

So would you guys say it's worth it for someone who just wants to play a couple games and let them off later in the downrun? I actually had no clue 2DS played 3DS games as I've stopped following nintendo products since the DSi and this sparked a debate for me last night. I just plan on playing the recent pokemon games and bravely default since those are the only games that caught my eye. I could care less about 3D since I hate 3D and the screen size is no biggy for me.
Yea, this is perfect for you then. If you planned on getting Pokemon anyways ($40), then you're getting the 2DS for $60. Just make sure you don't care about the 3D, no clam shell design, and having only one speaker. Obviously using headphones fixes the speaker issue, but if all you care about are the games, then this is what you want. Besides, if you feel like getting a 3DS or XL down the line, then you can still play the same games of course.

I also wanted to PM the deal at Bestbuy but they did not over the same exclusive bundle but did get TRU to price match since they have the blue version bundled with Pokemon Y instead of Red one with X. First DS console since owning the old DS consoles and even the only bad part about the 2ds is the non-clam shell design. Everything else from holding it, and the feel is spot on for the casual gamer that just wants to pick up the few titles that have released over the last few years like myself(Mario, Pokemon, Zelda etc lol)

This would be perfect for you especially if you don't plan on taking it out of the house. This is ideal for setting on the night stand or on the table for pick up and play. The XL is not pocket friendly either so that makes the original 3DS the only one that is pocket friendly. You will get enough entertainment out of the games you want to justify this, plus don't forget it plays original DS games as well and many of those can be found on the cheap these days if you need to extend the life of your system.

I don't see the speaker or screens as an issue ( I almost always play with the sound off anyways), but I hear the touch screen is very bad on these 2DS systems, I don't know for sure because I haven't used one myself, just keep in mind it is one screen with a touch screen layer for the bottom and just that little plastic piece in the middle separating them. If you want to play touch screen heavy games like Trauma Center for DS, elite beat agents or Pokemon ranger you might want to keep that in mind though.

Because Pokemon X is preloaded on it, can I transfer what I have on my 3DS to that without overwriting Pokemon?

Because Pokemon X is preloaded on it, can I transfer what I have on my 3DS to that without overwriting Pokemon?
I'd like to know this as well. Also, are there any steps I would need to take to make sure pokemon stays on the 2ds?

*edit* Ok just did the transfer and pokemon was sitting there waiting to be redownloaded in the e-shop. Whoohoo.

Cool, thanks guys for the input! I'll drop by target tomorrow. A little disappointing it's not the physical Pokemon game, but it's better than nothing 

bread's done
Back