Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah saw this in the 3DS topic as well, thanks for the link. I want a Blue one but am not taking any chances so I quickly snagged a Black one for now.

The original DS debuted in 2004 at $150... and it did not use any cutting edge technology at all: touch screens had been utilized for years in the PDA market.

The 3DS will debut in 2011 at $250... it will utilize such cutting edge technology as glasses-free 3D, 3D augmented reality games, and [in the future] 3D video capture.

The price - due to both inflation and tech - is completely justified.

Thanks for the link to the Black. That's the one I wanted and couldn't find it. Pre-order in.

I went ahead and pre ordered but doubt I'll keep it. $250 is too much. And I know nothing about the games that'll be out for it at release.

for 249.99 id rather re get a xbox my buying point was 199.99 so that the extra $50 would gone into games. After tax and just one game your looking at $300+

and i still don't own xbox360 so pass for me.

I'm getting mine at BB simply because I have an insane amount of GCs... so I can understand the price point being a bit high.

But I still stand by my reasoning above for the high cost.

Comes out on Sunday so you won't get it on release date, but worth the tax savings. I haven't decided if I'm gonna get one but pre ordered while I decide.

I'm going to get my pre-order in once my living social deals comes in.

Oh and In before the "not a deal" trolls come in and start a fire. :lol:

What the fuck, Amazon? I set you to notify me when pre-orders are available, and CAG knows they're up before you send me an e-mail?

... That actually isn't too far-fetched. :p Put in a pre-order for the Black one. Thanks OP!

$250 + $50 games!? I'm not sure how many kids are going to be able to buy these or convince their parents to buy them one.
Gives Nintendo room to drop the price around the holiday season though, maybe by $50?

If i preoreder it now how much will they charge on my cc? Is it like most preorders where they chare $1 or is it $50 like gamestop? Or is it the whole $250 which i doubt?

[quote name='Vader582']$250 + $50 games!? I'm not sure how many kids are going to be able to buy these or convince their parents to buy them one.
Gives Nintendo room to drop the price around the holiday season though, maybe by $50?[/QUOTE]

Nintendo said games are going to be 40 tops.

nice, couldn't find black through amazon's page. got my preorder in both colors, hope to cancel one of them whenever I find out from playasia about the JP version availability.

[quote name='notoriousxbox']Pre-Orders both colors just incase I decide to get them.[/QUOTE]

Same although I might end up cancelling both. I'm really not that interested in the 3DS for now and the price is a little high for my taste. Though the price is right about what I expected it to be.

[quote name='zenintrude']The original DS debuted in 2004 at $150... and it did not use any cutting edge technology at all: touch screens had been utilized for years in the PDA market.

The 3DS will debut in 2011 at $250... it will utilize such cutting edge technology as glasses-free 3D, 3D augmented reality games, and [in the future] 3D video capture.

The price - due to both inflation and tech - is completely justified.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but at $50 less than I paid for PS3 and $100 MORE than I paid for my 360, I disagree.

Yeah if i got one it be for the resale value only. I remember when Nintendo Wii came out i camped in line at my local mall and only 6 units came in and i got a ticket for one with like 150+ people wanting one to. Parents with kids were bidding on my ticket i turned down a father and his two sons for a $75 offer and sold it to a guy by him self for $150.
The Will released in holiday time though so stock was really limited. I have a feeling with a spring release your not going to find a shortage of 3DS.

i can't believe that they didn't formally announce at least a partial list of what games will be available on day 1 and how much they will cost. i know we can all try to make some educated guesses based on the japan list, but it just seems odd.

[quote name='zenintrude']The original DS debuted in 2004 at $150... and it did not use any cutting edge technology at all: touch screens had been utilized for years in the PDA market.

Um, I think its a little early to be singing the praises of a system that you haven't even seen, and hasn't even been released yet :roll:. And, I think the "cutting edge technology" is just one more in a long line of gimmicks from Nintendo . . . trademark of this company now. Easy pass on this one.

[quote name='needler420']Yeah if i got one it be for the resale value only. I remember when Nintendo Wii came out i camped in line at my local mall and only 6 units came in and i got a ticket for one with like 150+ people wanting one to. Parents with kids were bidding on my ticket i turned down a father and his two sons for a $75 offer and sold it to a guy by him self for $150.
The Will released in holiday time though so stock was really limited. I have a feeling with a spring release your not going to find a shortage.[/QUOTE]

You sold your ticket, or the system itself for $150?

[quote name='biledriver']Sorry but at $50 less than I paid for PS3 and $100 MORE than I paid for my 360, I disagree.[/QUOTE]

You might think it's too expensive, but nintendo products mint gold for the company and this is the first legit new hand held or console from the company in years. I personally will be shocked if this thing does not sell incredibly well.

This is what I wake up too, I pre-ordered one of each color to see which color I'm going to enjoy more. I usually always go with black first time around but I really like the blue one, hopefully we get more pictures coming soon.

[quote name='dapunisure']If i preoreder it now how much will they charge on my cc? Is it like most preorders where they chare $1 or is it $50 like gamestop? Or is it the whole $250 which i doubt?[/QUOTE]
You dont get charged anything until the system ships

all the people who are waiting for quick price drops are gonna be waiting a long time. Unless the system absolutely bombs, nintendo won't drop the price. How long did they wait to drop the DS price?

And if it does bomb, then there's no point in picking one up anyway cause it'll mean the games suck.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']You sold your ticket, or the system itself for $150?[/QUOTE]

Just the ticket for my spot in line i think the system was more then that i forgot.

I mean in the end its only $50 off of what i was willing to spend but with all the games i have now i don't need to be an early adapter ill wait in till there are more colors,models, library of games, etc.

[quote name='needler420']Just the ticket for my spot in line i think the system was more then that i forgot.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. Where do you live, New York?

EDIT: *Reads location* Er... Orlando?

250?? We could almost buy our own ship for that! I think staring at all that 3D has caused Nintendo to lose it's grasp on reality. It should cool off by playing some Virtual Boy.

Is it really?
As much as I'd love me some 3DS games, isn't 3D kind of a gimmick at the end of the day? It doesn't affect gameplay and it doesn't change the way the game works fundamentally, it's purely visual, a graphical enhancement... and for that this portable is going to jump to $250?!

If the price point was $200 I think I could argue with my wallet for a bit and give in, but $250...

gonna have to agree with everyone else, i can easily afford the 3DS, the question is whether or not its worth it in comparison to other systems. 250 dollars is close to SLI 1GB GTX 460s which are perfect for PC gaming, its 50 dollars cheaper than a 160 hard drive ps3 with 2 games(not to mention the value of the package which inclues the console, and a wireless, rechargeable controller), 50 dollars more than a wii, and 50 cheaper than a new 360.

granted my xbox 360 was basically about 150 after I sold the games which were bundled with it, and I bought a like new wii on amazon for 120 shipped. like someone else already said, its tough to consider.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Holy shit. Where do you live, New York?

EDIT: *Reads location* Er... Orlando?[/QUOTE]

Ocala its in the middle of Tampa,Gainsville, Orlando probably around 1 hr drive to all that. originally from Miami though.

I spent 199.99 on my psp rockband unplugged bundle in July 09 and i barely touch that thing so that it my lesson lol

A co worker of mine took PS3 release day off and him and his friends camped in front of best buy for PS3's he sold his car to buy as many as he could i think he brought 3-4 and ended up with about 2k profit.

[quote name='capsnikerz']250? for something ill hardly touch? no thx ill pass[/QUOTE]
I'm curious what price you are willing to pay for something you'll hardly touch.

I'll go with black for now. But at $250, unless the launch line-up blows me away, I'll probably go for a PSP instead.

[quote name='Shion']Is it really?
As much as I'd love me some 3DS games, isn't 3D kind of a gimmick at the end of the day? It doesn't affect gameplay and it doesn't change the way the game works fundamentally, it's purely visual, a graphical enhancement... and for that this portable is going to jump to $250?[/QUOTE]

Going with the argument, you ought to be playing an NES still - the Super Nintendo's better graphics were a visual gimmick, right? Let alone the totally gimmicky 360 and PS3's HD graphics.

bread's done
Back