Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I foolishly entered this thread to join in the excitement of finally having a release date and soon being able to play ssfiv or resident evil mercenaries on the go or on breaks outside at work (not to mention the update to ocarina). oops! I'll go find somewhere else to let my inner fanboy out.

p.s. know what has gotten absolutely the most playtime in our house? ny times crosswords on ds. probably 400+ hours - my wife and I do a crossword together pretty much every day. I look forward to a 3ds update that extends the crosswords along the z axis.

[quote name='needler420']I have a modded Wii with 250+ games and haven't played one more then a few hours. I think what i played the most was super smash bros the wii one.
He's probably missing more if he's not playing on xbox,ps3,pc. In fact some would goes as far as to say he's saving money.[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth.
The only games I really sat down and completed were Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Elebits...and this was all in the first year, until I bought a PS3.

I love my DS so $250 isn't bad because I will use it. I was expecting it to be $300. However, $40 for a handheld game is a little much. 3D isn't really my thing but if there are good games then I'm in. The only problem I have is this system is so damn ugly! It's like they said "ok, the Lite / DSi redesigns were great sellers, let's just make the 3DS ugly and blocky like the first DS so we can make a sleek model later!"

Here's a question: if you havent bought anything since the GC, why are you in a 3DS thread? Just to piss other people off?

[quote name='handsomepete']I foolishly entered this thread to join in the excitement of finally having a release date and soon being able to play ssfiv or resident evil mercenaries on the go or on breaks outside at work (not to mention the update to ocarina). oops! I'll go find somewhere else to let my inner fanboy out.

p.s. know what has gotten absolutely the most playtime in our house? ny times crosswords on ds. probably 400+ hours - my wife and I do a crossword together pretty much every day. I look forward to a 3ds update that extends the crosswords along the z axis.[/QUOTE]

I came in for the same thing and got sucked into some haters discussion.

Try Bookworm and Scrabble. (Scrabble is hard ot find though.)

[quote name='chimpmeister']Massive upgrades from previous models in terms of graphics, sound, and controls, making the games on them far more immersive and enjoyable than the previous consoles, in every case.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so by that argument . . .

The 3DS display is 800x240 on the top screen and 320x240 on the bottom screen, compared to 256x192 on the DS and DSi -- that's a pretty massive upgrade in graphics. Oh, yeah, and there's that 3D thing too . . .

Control-wise, on top of the touchscreen, D-pad, and buttons on the DS and DSi, the 3DS adds an analog stick, a 3-axis accelerometer, and a 3-axis gyroscope. That's a lot of new control options.

Sound-wise -- well, no data on that yet, but it's a portable system, so you shouldn't expect hi-fi. That being said, it's likely that there will be improvements.

Processor-wise -- The DS used a 67 MHz ARM9 and a 33MHz ARM7. The DSi stepped that up to a 133 MHz ARM9 and a 33 MHz ARM7. The 3DS will have two 266MHz ARM11 processors, as well as a 133MHz GPU.

Memory-wise -- The DS had 4MB SRAM, and the DSi had 16MB SRAM. The 3DS will have 64MB of RAM and 4MB of dedicated VRAM.

So yes, I'd say that's a pretty massive fucking upgrade . . .

(Source for 3DS processor/memory specs -- http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/112/1122613p1.html)

Last edited by a moderator:
In for the black one, will cancel if the lineup doesn't look good ... but oot remake is damn near a system seller in itself for me.

Thanks for the post op.

[quote name='confoosious']Here's a question: if you havent bought anything since the GC, why are you in a 3DS thread? Just to piss other people off?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't goes as far as that but hey if we change one persons mind its like a teacher saving a kid. Just one person makes a difference.:booty:

[quote name='crunchewy']CAG seriously needs a "troll battles" forum where stuff like this can be removed.[/QUOTE]Sorry, fixed that for you.

For the idiots and fanboys in the thread, take your posts elsewhere. Don't clutter things up in here, though I know it might be a reach for some of you.

[quote name='crunchewy']CAG seriously needs a "troll battles" forum where stuff like this can be moved.[/QUOTE]

lol i think like 5 pages of comments just got removed. That's going to increase sales :cry:

[quote name='crunchewy']CAG seriously needs a "troll battles" forum where stuff like this can be moved.[/QUOTE]

I've had my share of battles but have you noticed there's always people who HATE everything and love to go into threads to talk about how much that thing sucks? Is that trolling? (I don't buy the "we're just keeping people from buying bad stuff" argument either.)

Anyway. In 4 1 , thanks OP. Love that Amazon doesn't charge you until it ships so I got 2 months to decide with no threat of missing out.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Pre-ordered, but if the 2011 game line-up sucks I'm canceling.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know the launch games? Will Zelda be out before E3... I'm kinda pissed at Nintendo right now for trying to hide their potentially fail launch line up.
I preordered anyways... Who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it with anything they launch, I'm just a bit disappointed that they don't have their act together this time. It seems that it won't launch with the VC either which is just strange in my opinion.

The 3DS will be hard to find? I doubt it. There got to be a better deal when the time comes, like TRU, Walmart, Target, BB etc. Free t-shirts, stickers, coffee mugs, whatever... Hmmm, how about a free game too :)

I will wait a bit, personally, I think it's a pretty neat gadget, but yeah, that battery life is horrendous, three hours?!?! I hope the early reviews/opinions are exaggerated.

I think most people pre-ordering one right now don't really have the intention of buying, but rather the feeling of not "missing out."

[quote name='JAlbertL']Now to see what GameStop's trade-in promotion will be.[/QUOTE]

hmm totally forgot about that.

I'm guessing trade in DSi, get 3DS for 199.

[quote name='Serpentor']The 3DS will be hard to find? I doubt it. "[/QUOTE]

People said the same thing about the Wii. And most recently SMAS. Better to be safe than sorry for those who are even considering it. Not like Amazon charges your card right away.

[quote name='abhinav']Anyone know the launch games? Will Zelda be out before E3... I'm kinda pissed at Nintendo right now for trying to hide their potentially fail launch line up.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I found earlier

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Steeldiver
  • Dead or Alive
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • Madden NFL
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Ridge Racer 3D
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-north-american-launch-titles-192044.phtml

[quote name='abhinav']Anyone know the launch games? Will Zelda be out before E3... I'm kinda pissed at Nintendo right now for trying to hide their potentially fail launch line up.[/QUOTE]

The launch line-up isn't great, but they haven't hidden it:

Pilotwings Resort
Nintendogs + Cats
Steeldiver
Dead or Alive
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
Madden NFL
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Asphalt 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Resident Evil: Mercenaries
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
However, Nintendo is saying that there will be around 30 titles available by June. I would assume they'll be pretty quick about getting some of the bigger-name titles out, otherwise they'll be in for a lot of complaints.

I'm probably in for Pilotwings and maybe Resident Evil or Pro Evolution Soccer at launch. Hopefully it won't be too long until we see the requisite Zelda/Mario titles. And Star Fox, dammit! :)

[quote name='confoosious']hmm totally forgot about that.

I'm guessing trade in DSi, get 3DS for 199.[/QUOTE]

No way. I hope it'll be $150 with a DSi trade-in but most likely $175. Can't be $199. Can it?

That Japanese launch lineup looks good. I'd want Pilot Wings, Resident Evil and maybe maybe Super Street Fighter. Glad I got my Snake Eater pre-order in on Amazon before the price went up. $40 for 3DS games.

In for a big black myself.

By the way, if Amazon updates with a credit deal or something like that, will it be applied to our orders?

Also, can we use the LivingSocial giftcards on these after we place our order? (like, change payment method)?

The DSi XL lauched at 189 i think. And when you traded in a DSi, you got to buy it for $129. So they valued it at $60.

If anything the value of the DSi should be lower now. So I'm guessing $199. Unless nintendo subsidizes more of the cost to gamestop.

[quote name='arcane93']The launch line-up isn't great, but they haven't hidden it:

However, Nintendo is saying that there will be around 30 titles available by June. I would assume they'll be pretty quick about getting some of the bigger-name titles out, otherwise they'll be in for a lot of complaints.

I'm probably in for Pilotwings and maybe Resident Evil or Pro Evolution Soccer at launch. Hopefully it won't be too long until we see the requisite Zelda/Mario titles. And Star Fox, dammit! :)[/QUOTE]

That list actually isn't confirmed launch games. Those are games confirmed in the "launch window." After today the only games confirmed for launch are Nintendogs, SSFIV, Steel Diver, and DOA.

[quote name='confoosious']hmm totally forgot about that.

I'm guessing trade in DSi, get 3DS for 199.[/QUOTE]

If they're only giving me $50 for my DSi, I'll keep my DSi, thanks. (Actually, I expect you're right, but at the same time . . . not worth it.)

Wow, that launch lineup looks pretty terrible. Not a single title on that list I would care to purchase. That definitely makes me wait on making a purchase of the 3DS. To be honest, I'm really only interested in Mega Man Legends 3 right now. Everything else I am interested in is remakes, which I see no point in paying $40 for. Yea, it would be awesome to play Starfox, Zelda, and Metal Gear Solid 3 on a handheld and in 3D, but not worth $250 for the console + $120 for the games.

I'm definitely waiting this one out. Maybe by 2012 the system will have a killer lineup, but right now I am not seeing much :(

Eh, preordered one. I figure this will be the one nice thing I get from my tax return.

Edit note - I preordered it because I believe that there will be shortages this year and if they release some nicer titles by June I will regret it.

In for one, thanks OP! Cosmos black, keeping it classic :)
Also waiting for a possible gamestop promotion. I have a DS Phat I don't use anymore. Also, a Ds lite with one dead pixel. (seems insignificant, but I see it every time I power it on) When the DS lite first released, gamestop did a promotion where you trade in a Gba SP for $50 toward a new ds lite. Hopefully it will be the same this time around. :) (fingers crossed)

[quote name='shrike4242']Sorry, fixed that for you.

For the idiots and fanboys in the thread, take your posts elsewhere. Don't clutter things up in here, though I know it might be a reach for some of you.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the general process went like this:

1. Blanket statement of it being A, too expensive, or B, a gimmick.

2. People pointing out why it was neither of these things.

The people in the second camp are hardly "fanboys" - which is a term that I'm surprised a Mod would throw around - but were instead just people pointing out the flaws in rash, unjustified comments.

It seems the CAG policy on heated debate is just to pave over everything.

Dunno if I should pre-order now or wait until X-mas since they usually release a bundle package of a system + game for less and/or a new color's available by then.

What are the odds that Amazon eventually offers some kind of release day (well, day after release considering it comes out on a Sunday) shipping special on the 3DS like they did with various high-profile titles last year?

I'm thinking about cashing in my Prime trial and changing the shipping method in my order so that I have Prime and not FSSS (yeah, I'm impatient) but I suppose it doesn't hurt to wait until closer to release in order to see if they have something like this.

i figured it would be this price, too much, and i am a cheapy so i will wait to see price drop, software prices, and i dont want to pay full price for a portable again, need a free game or a gift card, somethig. thanks op.. read it heree before i got my email from amazon.
i am sure it will sell out, so if you dont pre orde you wait for a bit.

I still think the 3DS is not going to be hard to find... Unlike the Wii for many reasons:

1. It's a handheld device, plenty of smartphones
2. It's $250, enough said
3. Not many people think 3D is "hot"
4. The Wii can be enjoyed by the whole family, sharing the 3DS is not the same :)
5. Grandma probably plays the Wii, but I doubt she's interested in the 3DS

For all of the reasons above, I can wait for a slightly better deal, like free caryying case or $300 bundle (two games of your choice or something like that :lol:).

Yeah, I know you can pre-order on Amazon and worry about it later, but I made a new year resolution about pre-orders... You know when you ask a friend to hangout and he/she says "maybe?" Well, that "maybe" is most likely a NO :lol:. Same thing with pre-order, once you pre-ordered something, it's most likely a YES (or inclined to be a yes :lol:).

If Amazon all sudden stop taking pre-orders, then it's time to panic :lol:

I'll repeat exactly what I said, that was inexplicably deleted by shrike.

"The battery life for 3D is shit. Many here are going to regret getting it in a year when Nintendo comes out with a new model that fixes this issue and has improved hardware, likely at a lower price"

I'm sorry mods, but that comment is an OPINION. Unless this site just wants everyone just being sheep and saying "yes yes" "good deal" "pip pip", etc.. I gave my opinion, it wasn't filled with any sort of fanboyism or trolling. In fact, it's very much the truth, and follows the same logical pattern of the original DS. If that's considered fanboyism, then wow, someone changed definitions somewhere. There's no need for such heavy handed moderating

If you really want one you should pre-order because scalpers are gonna try to get is as much as they can. I can see the re-sell value going $100+ in the first month due to limited supply. In Japan they are only going to have 400k on launch.

As for me I'm waiting for $150 or less and better battery life. I'd hate to re-buy one just for battery life.

I can't imagine being able to easily find one unless you pre-order now. Otherwise you'll just be waiting until there are a lot of shipments, which probably won't happen until the end of the year. And by then there will be ridiculous long lines and shortages at all stores.

Initial shipment to the US is likely going to be 1.5 million (4 million total for Japan+Europe+US) and that sounds like a pretty small number to me.

[quote name='KarlMarx']Not a deal.....MSRP etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

But it is a Nintendo product! Be ready for 50 threads about 3DS in stock at "GameStop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Billy Bob's market, Wonder market" and so on...

its going to sell out for sure. I was tryign to get 1 for me n my brother and theyre limiting it at Gamestop FYI.

Btw its probably better to preorder, theyre estimating its going to sell out til 2012 just like the wii.

Put in a pre-order, but not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. 3DS line-up looks great, but I don't think I can justify $50 for a portable game. $30 was fine, occasionally $35. $50? I don't think I can swallow that.

I'll do what I did with the DS, jump in after the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the system has lowered the price and improved the hardware. That is assuming there are any games worth shelling out the price of a home console.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Eh, preordered one. I figure this will be the one nice thing I get from my tax return.

Edit note - I preordered it because I believe that there will be shortages this year and if they release some nicer titles by June I will regret it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My guess is that I will get only one of the day 1 Launch Titles (Side Note - Why are launch titles always so...meh?). I know I am going to want one anyway. Why buy off ebay for slightly more/check stores and sites to see if they have them in stock daily when I can just get it at launch. The price aint dropping for years anyway. My wife got me a Wii for our Anniversary 3 months after it Launched and ended up spending more than MSRP. When the DS lite came out, It was a bit of a pain for me to find one. I'm just going to look at recent history, buy it at the original MSRP and enjoy.

In for a black one, although I'll probably cancel since the launch lineup is weak. Come to think of it, I think Ridge Racer was my psp launch title as well, lol.

Once this has Zelda OOT, Animal Crossing, and various incarnations of Mario it will be a must own for Nintendo fans.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Should be MSRP $199.99 or less. I waits till next year to get better 3DS version :)[/QUOTE]
Word to the wise everyone

The DSLite released less then 14 months after the DS did with improved screens and better battery life all for less money.

Considering the 3DS is a train wreck with it's battery life (takes longer to charge it then play it) and small screens I'd wait.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'll repeat exactly what I said, that was inexplicably deleted by shrike.

"The battery life for 3D is shit. Many here are going to regret getting it in a year when Nintendo comes out with a new model that fixes this issue and has improved hardware, likely at a lower price"

I'm sorry mods, but that comment is an OPINION. Unless this site just wants everyone just being sheep and saying "yes yes" "good deal" "pip pip", etc.. I gave my opinion, it wasn't filled with any sort of fanboyism or trolling. In fact, it's very much the truth, and follows the same logical pattern of the original DS. If that's considered fanboyism, then wow, someone changed definitions somewhere. There's no need for such heavy handed moderating[/QUOTE]

oh the irony.:applause:

Anyways, I will wait till around christmas when the psp2 comes out to compare prices and games. By that time maybe more colors will be out.
Right now $250 for a handheld is too much and is not a deal.

[quote name='bigdbo622'](Side Note - Why are launch titles always so...meh?).[/QUOTE]

Primarily because developers are in a rush to learn the new hardware fast enough to get the game out by the system's launch.

bread's done
Back