Nintendo 3DS $99 with trade-in (DSL, DSi, DSi XL) and PUR Coupon (8/12 - 8/14)

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not too bad for a DS Lite or DSi trade-in. Given all threads on the 3DS price drop, I thought this needed its own thread.

EDIT:

If you're not a PUR member or don't have a coupon, the trade-in offers are tiered:
DSi XL: $99
DSi : $109
DSL: $119

this amounts to about + $10 trade-in

$99 for a 3DS?
It Must Be a PowerUp Rewards Pro™ Exclusive!

It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99* when you trade in your old DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL between Friday, August 12, and Sunday, August 14.

This hot deal requires a coupon, but we've got you covered! Look for the coupon Friday, August 12* in the Active Offers section of your PowerUp Rewards account. Simply log in, print your Pro members-only coupon, and get to your nearest GameStop store to take advantage of this offer.
Even if you don't own a DS system to trade, you can still take advantage of an awesome price drop! Upgrade the way you game to start playing in glorious 3D without 3D glasses. Get your 3DS for the low price of only $169.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the deal on Friday. Traded in my DSLite. Had me put on the thumbprint as well, but I didn't sweat it because I was the only customer that morning. The surprising (and totally cool) thing to happen to me was the coupon I gave the GS dude wouldn't scan. He overrode the error, and gave me the same discount for an XL. Ended up getting it for 99 instead of 119. Thought that was nice of him.

Been playing mostly DS games, since I'm not sure which 3DS games are good. All in all, a great deal.

traded in daughters old DS lite been collecting dust for year since now she has a fancier phone than mine. Used credit and also got Pilot 3D and Asphalt 3D. Pretty cool piece of hardware so far. My 6yr old loves as do I.

Well, I was stupid enough to buy one of these at launch - and then use it less than 8 hours since then... But in any case, I took my mint DS Lite and did this deal anyway to get my 8 year-old son a 3DS. He had been playing an original DS so I figured he was due for an upgrade. I could have just given him the DS Lite (or even my barely used 3DS), but I figured a deal like this wouldn't come around too often. Plus it helped that I had GS credit to use for the purchase - any Target/Best Buy price match to get the free games would have required cash and that is not a good thing these days...

The GS clerk told me the DS I traded in was one of the nicest he had ever seen. It wasn't new either - I've used it for 2-3 years on business trips. I just take care of stuff unlike apparently 95% of people :roll:.

The thing is, I couldn't pick a game out for my son. We have a used Nintendogs I picked up a while back but other than that there's nothing for him to play. Hopefully that changes soon. I thought he could mess around with Face Raiders and taking 3D pictures and such for a while though. We plan on taking this on a car trip. Then he can play his old Pokemon HeartGold when he gets bored of the built-in software ;).

[quote name='io']Well, I was stupid enough to buy one of these at launch - and then use it less than 8 hours since then... But in any case, I took my mint DS Lite and did this deal anyway to get my 8 year-old son a 3DS. He had been playing an original DS so I figured he was due for an upgrade. I could have just given him the DS Lite (or even my barely used 3DS), but I figured a deal like this wouldn't come around too often. Plus it helped that I had GS credit to use for the purchase - any Target/Best Buy price match to get the free games would have required cash and that is not a good thing these days...

The GS clerk told me the DS I traded in was one of the nicest he had ever seen. It wasn't new either - I've used it for 2-3 years on business trips. I just take care of stuff unlike apparently 95% of people :roll:.

The thing is, I couldn't pick a game out for my son. We have a used Nintendogs I picked up a while back but other than that there's nothing for him to play. Hopefully that changes soon. I thought he could mess around with Face Raiders and taking 3D pictures and such for a while though. We plan on taking this on a car trip. Then he can play his old Pokemon HeartGold when he gets bored of the built-in software ;).[/QUOTE]

You can always try for Rayman, I guarantee your son will love it. It's a very interactive game and I've always enjoyed that series. My younger cousins all play it.

[quote name='karyadi']You can always try for Rayman, I guarantee your son will love it. It's a very interactive game and I've always enjoyed that series. My younger cousins all play it.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! Was just looking at that at Target for $17 tonight and passed on it. Now it won't be so cheap... I thought that was a good candidate but he didn't seem interested when I asked him about it.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm still waiting for ghost recon to come in the mail, it looks like a really fun game. I've been playing ds games on my 3ds and it looks just fine for those wondering[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, are you playing in the regular resolution or full screen where it's a blurry mess? :cool:

Went with Target earlier for the $70 deal...so my PUR coupon is unused... i'm off to bed, but will respond early in the morning. If interested let me know.

I have a coupon that I probably won't use. Would rather trade it for a Square Enix Member code from any of the following games:

Space Bust-a-Move NDS
Bust-a-Move Universe 3DS
Tomb Raider Trilogy PS3
Dungeon Siege 360
Dungeon Siege PC
Order of War PC
The Last Remnant PC
Just Cause 2 PC
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days PC

i'm going in today to trade in my ds lite with someone elses coupon, wish me luck..

i might chicken out last minute cuz idk what i need a 3ds for...

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Out of curiosity, are you playing in the regular resolution or full screen where it's a blurry mess? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Nintendo must have done something to smooth this out in a recent firmware upgrade. I've tried several DS games on mine and they look just fine. Obviously they will never look as good as in the original resolution on the DS, but it looks much better than it did in screenshots when the 3DS was first released. I've had no issues playing Ghost Trick, Pokemon, Color Cross any other DS games and the text is very readable as well.

alas... I have to leave for work in 5 minutes... if someone can tell me how i can get my coupon to them....it's theirs...

[quote name='Bazz']Does anyone have a spare coupon please.[/QUOTE]

save your money.
it honestly has no games.
and since you're getting rid of your ds, you won't like playing ds games on 3ds cuz the d-pad is on bottom left instead of center. it hurts ur hands AND eyes

[quote name='akuma77']save your money.
it honestly has no games.
and since you're getting rid of your ds, you won't like playing ds games on 3ds cuz the d-pad is on bottom left instead of center. it hurts ur hands AND eyes[/QUOTE]

I kind of just want to play Zelda, and I play professor Layton.

just received a coupon from kind user maccabee72.

Going to try it as soon as possible-- will report back!

I'd take a coupon if someone isn't going to use theirs.

Does it work with just the coupon and not actually being a PUR member? Anyone have results yet?

[quote name='dakranii']I'd take a coupon if someone isn't going to use theirs.

Does it work with just the coupon and not actually being a PUR member? Anyone have results yet?[/QUOTE]

a couple people already posted their experiences:

One person used coupon only, another had to let them scan a card and used his free membership (that you can obtain & register same day).

Good luck Scottly, let us know how it goes. If you need a PUR card I will need to go to a different Gamestop to get one before using the coupon (I haven't been there in a while since I started using Gamefly, I still have the old "Edge" card).

granted yes the battery life does suck but its not a major killer. considering the line up games coming out down the road.

Geez, I finally got a coupon, but gamestop won't take my ds because the serial number had been rubbed off. Serious bummer. It expires today if anyone wants it pm me your email address. I'll send it to you.

Just sharing my experience - got a coupon from someone on this thread, used it yesterday with no problem. I signed up for a power up rewards free membership there at the same time, the guy was cool about it.... "I'm not sure this will work but I'll try it.... whoa huh it does!"

Old (pink, blah) DS lite with a somewhat sporadic battery life traded in for a $99 shiny new 3DS is a good deal in my book.

Just got a coupon thanks to user Kismayaz! I'm gonna head over to Gamestop in a little bit and pick up the 3DS and Zelda. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT: Just got back from Gamestop and everything went great. I had already been a regular Power Up Rewards member so the clerk just asked for my card, scanned it, and rung everything up. I also picked up Zelda so my total came to $150 which is a pretty good deal if you ask me =). Also just in case anybody is wondering, I traded in the DS Lite System, the power adapter, and the little cartridge that goes inside of the GBA slot. Thanks again to Kismayaz!

If anyone wants a coupon PM me your e-mail address and I can send one to you.

Gone I just sent it to xBabax

[quote name='dansoccerball']I have a coupon PM me and we can work something out.[/QUOTE]

Can you pm me. I'm on mobile lol

[quote name='lllGurulll']Thats a problem for me though as I have yet to meet a Nintendo game I liked enough to finish. One of my issues with Nintendo games is the whole having to repeat entire levels over and over until you finally get through it. I find them frustrating while my kids do not. So I can't really base it on what I like.

for example, I haven't met a Zelda game I liked yet. While I do like Mario I have never had the patience to finish a game.

the reason I eliminated OoT is because I already know my 10 year old doesn't like it.[/QUOTE]

wow really? At least with NSMBW and SMG2, there were those mid point flags to divide up the harder levels (though they are of no use on the daredevil comets). My 6 year old did have some trouble with the dragon on SMG2 though...I don't know if he's ready for zelda either. I'd also recommend DKR, though it can be supremely frustrating, my son loved that game too.

As for the 3DS, new mario game and MK7 don't come out for a while, but those should be good games. Tetris 3ds too.

next person to PM me gets the coupon. You need to put your email in there,

sent to netrindomain

Had no problems yesterday. I was repairing my black DSLite's hinge crack to trade in, and I fucking broke the top LCD's ribbon cable. So my GF let me trade one her hers in, the one that has a unresponsive L button, and she had spilled V8 on it. Guy didn't check at all.

Other than the analog nub, can't say I like it, but I've been playing only Etrian Odyssey 3 on it. It makes the lines uneven and blurry. Haven't tried the native resolution mode, but I hope it's not too small. When fully open, the shoulder buttons are hard to hit. And the stylus doesn't pull out easily, or store back easily, compared to the Lites.

Really wish I bought a new DSLite from Fry's last week for $80.

I emailed customer support and they wouldn't budge. Sent out randomly. fuck them. I've been a paying member for 5 years now. Thanks to a CAG that sent me a code. It was put to good use.

DSL is probably the best trade in considering the XL might get you closer to $100 on ebay. (just estimate, not guaranteed)

Regretting that I found out about this late...still a few hours left in the day though, so if there's anyone out there with a code they don't mind giving up, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Same. Would appreciate a coupon via pm if there's anyone who isn't using theirs still. Want to run over there before closing time. Thanks!

Guys i would sincerely love and appreciate a coupon....the store is closing soon here in Chicago...please and thanks...
Robert B.

Just tried to use the coupon for a Flame Red DS and no go. The guys at the store couldn't figure out how to get the coupon and the pre-order on the same ticket, so the coupon wouldn't register. They said I could buy a Aqua Blue one (only color left) and return it on the 9th but started talking about how they'd have to adjust the price of the Flame Red to $120 and I'd have to pay some $10 difference.

Just got back with my new 3DS! Thank you to incainca for trading the coupon. I went to one Gamestop, signed up for a PUR card (free one), then on my way home hit another Gamestop to trade everything in. They scanned my free card and the coupon and all went well. Funny thing though--the guy knew I was only a free member (asked if I wanted to upgrade to Pro) but didn't ask how I had the Pro coupon! Whatever, I'm just happy it worked :) They wouldn't let me put the trade-in towards a reservation of the Flame Red DS so I just got the aqua blue one. I figured I'll go back in when the Red DS comes out and try to exchange it since it's within the 30 days (won't open this box at all).

If anyone has a spare coupon that they won't be using today, I'd love to try and take advantage of the deal before it runs out. :D

I'll edit this post if by chance I'm able to get a hold of a coupon.

Edit: I'm all taken care of, thanks!

bread's done
Back