Nintendo 3DS $99 with trade-in (DSL, DSi, DSi XL) and PUR Coupon (8/12 - 8/14)

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not too bad for a DS Lite or DSi trade-in. Given all threads on the 3DS price drop, I thought this needed its own thread.

EDIT:

If you're not a PUR member or don't have a coupon, the trade-in offers are tiered:
DSi XL: $99
DSi : $109
DSL: $119

this amounts to about + $10 trade-in

$99 for a 3DS?
It Must Be a PowerUp Rewards Pro™ Exclusive!

It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99* when you trade in your old DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL between Friday, August 12, and Sunday, August 14.

This hot deal requires a coupon, but we've got you covered! Look for the coupon Friday, August 12* in the Active Offers section of your PowerUp Rewards account. Simply log in, print your Pro members-only coupon, and get to your nearest GameStop store to take advantage of this offer.
Even if you don't own a DS system to trade, you can still take advantage of an awesome price drop! Upgrade the way you game to start playing in glorious 3D without 3D glasses. Get your 3DS for the low price of only $169.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have that message in my PUR account , but do you know if i can buy it today do the update to register my 3DS and then return and rebuy it tomorrow ???

[quote name='joshxx']I dont have that message in my PUR account , but do you know if i can buy it today do the update to register my 3DS and then return and rebuy it tomorrow ???[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about it, just wait till tomorrow.

Look for the coupon Friday, August 12* in the Active Offers section of your PowerUp Rewards account.

[quote name='Scottly']Wait, I might actually do this!
$70 for my DSlite, woot!!

http://www.poweruprewards.com/Home/FAQ
Code:
5. Do I get my $14.99 back if I decide to cancel my PowerUp Rewards Pro membership?

You're not going to want to do that in a million years. 
But if you insist, you'll get a full refund within 7 days of purchasing your membership
 by returning your card to any participating GameStop store. 
Also, any bonus points earned for the purchase of the GameStop PowerUp Rewards Pro 
membership will be forfeited at that time.

The ol' in and out. finally i can kinda stick it to gamestop for once.[/QUOTE]Good idea except someone mentioned in the trade thread that this was only for people that were members prior to August 8th.

[quote name='Scottly']I wouldn't worry about it, just wait till tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Not to speak for him, but I'm sure he wants to buy it today just so he can qualify for the free games. I don't see any other reason why he'd need to get one today to sign up

And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what about buying one at Walmart today and then returning the one I buy from gamestop tomorrow? Does walmart track the serial #s?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Good idea except someone mentioned in the trade thread that this was only for people that were members prior to August 8th.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop wins again.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not to speak for him, but I'm sure he wants to buy it today just so he can qualify for the free games. I don't see any other reason why he'd need to get one today to sign up[/QUOTE]

Whoops, completely blanked at "buy it today do the update to register my 3DS".

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not to speak for him, but I'm sure he wants to buy it today just so he can qualify for the free games. I don't see any other reason why he'd need to get one today to sign up[/QUOTE]

YES!!! that was exactly what i want to do, do you have any idea if i can buy it today to take the free games then return it tomorrow and rebuy it giving my DS lite to take advantage of the offer.

[quote name='joshxx']YES!!! that was exactly what i want to do, do you have any idea if i can buy it today to take the free games then return it tomorrow and rebuy it giving my DS lite to take advantage of the offer.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea unfortunately. I don't really deal with Gamestop much. I do know they stated they won't do any pricematching or adjustments, but that's not the same as a return/rebuy so..*shrugs*

The receipt will show that you got a $70 credit on it. If you traded in a DS, bought the 3DS and returned it later, you'd get the full $170 in credit back..... (or $70 credit, $100 in cash if you did it that way). So you could do the trade and buy, return it unopened at some point within 30 days to get your credit/money back and come back when the fire red is available and do it that way.

I may jump on this and trade in my sons and give him my lite that is in much better shape. I have never traded in a system before how picky are they. His system works but it does have some scratches here and there.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does Gamestop accept opened consoles/handhelds? I.e. seal broken? If not, then this isn't going to work. I suppose if you can reseal it, though.[/QUOTE]

I've opened 3 or 4 DS Lites and there was nothing that would give away the fact that it ha been opened.

[quote name='darkjedi187']BTW if you trade in a ds lite it will cost you $119 for a 3ds. It's only $99 if you trade in a dsi or xl.[/QUOTE]

I keep seeing this but it doesnt say that in the emaildoes it? Where are people getting this peice of info?

It does not say that in the email. It says what the op wrote, it does not say anything about $119. I would like to know where this information is coming from as well.

[quote name='yourlefthand']And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what about buying one at Walmart today and then returning the one I buy from gamestop tomorrow? Does walmart track the serial #s?[/QUOTE]

for one, this is fraud

and two, both GS and Walmart scan the serial number along with the sku

Pretty good deal but I think I prefer keeping my dsi. The price drop on 3DS is reasonable enough for me, I'll just buy it at that price once a few more of the games i'm interested in get released.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']for one, this is fraud

and two, both GS and Walmart scan the serial number along with the sku[/QUOTE]

I understand that it can be construed as fraud, but _if_ the serial number was not tracked I don't think that it would be fraudulent. I bought a 3ds from walmart, then I returned a 3ds to walmart. I would say that is less fraudulent than the people who bought a ps3 from walmart with the HH Gregg price mistake, and it certainly is not as fraudulent as the people who bought $20 Guitar hero bundles from TRU and returned them to walmart.

Walmart has made a choice with their return policy. If it was a problem to them they would tighten it just as Target has over the years.

As far as scanning the serial #, I've seen pics of several receipts that don't have the serial on them. Does it get logged in their system as part of the transaction?

[quote name='Drclaw411']Pretty good deal but I think I prefer keeping my dsi. The price drop on 3DS is reasonable enough for me, I'll just buy it at that price once a few more of the games i'm interested in get released.[/QUOTE]

Crap, that just how I feel right now.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I understand that it can be construed as fraud, but _if_ the serial number was not tracked I don't think that it would be fraudulent. I bought a 3ds from walmart, then I returned a 3ds to walmart. I would say that is less fraudulent than the people who bought a ps3 from walmart with the HH Gregg price mistake, and it certainly is not as fraudulent as the people who bought $20 Guitar hero bundles from TRU and returned them to walmart.

Walmart has made a choice with their return policy. If it was a problem to them they would tighten it just as Target has over the years.

As far as scanning the serial #, I've seen pics of several receipts that don't have the serial on them. Does it get logged in their system as part of the transaction?[/QUOTE]

Hmm? I do have an unopened guitar hero bundle from TRU...lol. Let me stop.

[quote name='DesertLeo']I really don't know why I'm tempted.....

....but I am....[/QUOTE]

This...

[quote name='darkjedi187']why am i so tempted. the only game i want to play is zelda[/QUOTE]

This...

[quote name='darkjedi187']BTW if you trade in a ds lite it will cost you $119 for a 3ds. It's only $99 if you trade in a dsi or xl.[/QUOTE]

And this killed it.

Well, maybe with all the DS Lites GameStop is sure to receive with this deal, they'll lower the used price? I want one...along with all the Castlevania and Metroid times for GBA/DS.

FYI to watch out for guys:

I have a DS Lite I tried to trade in today (didn't know about the promo) but my GS would not take it back because the serial number was too faded. ARGH. I received it that way but it seems the PO had used acetone or something to clean the system as it was about 40% of the original visibility. In other words, I could still read the s/n but the douche of a manager or employee wouldn't have any of it.

Frustration.

Ok I'm reading the offer and it does not say a difference between any of the game systems. The coupon is not in power up website yet.

Email says " It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99* when you trade in your old DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL between Friday, August 12, and Sunday, August 14."

* is "Offer valid 8/12/11 - 8/14/11. Limit 1 per customer. Coupon and PowerUp Rewards card required. Offer valid toward the purchase of new 3DS only. Offer valid in store only. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. "

Not saying there isn't a difference, but none is noticeable based on the email.

Hmm. Downloadable games are linked to DSi systems aren't they? The only game I have is Mighty Flip Champs, but it'd be a shame to lose that and the handful of points I have for no good reason.

Also, what are the main issues with the 3DS right now? I've read about the bottom bezel scratching the top screen and something about a busted hinge?

I'm thinking of trading in my DSL for this deal. Trying to decide if I want to give up my GBA games. 70 for the DSL does not seem like a bad deal at all

[quote name='ssjmichael']I guess if you don't care about getting 20 free games it would[/QUOTE]

How do you know if you've linked your 3DS to the eShop correctly to qualify for the ambassador program?

I've owned a 3DS since launch. I don't and haven't owned a Wii or DS so I ahd to sign up for a NOA account and I linked that to the eShop I think to register my 3DS. I've downloaded a few free things, mostly game trailers from the eShop but I just want to make sure I've done everything correctly.

Is their any sure way to know that you're going to be in the ambassador program?

Thanks

[quote name='GBAstar']How do you know if you've linked your 3DS to the eShop correctly to qualify for the ambassador program?

I've owned a 3DS since launch. I don't and haven't owned a Wii or DS so I ahd to sign up for a NOA account and I linked that to the eShop I think to register my 3DS. I've downloaded a few free things, mostly game trailers from the eShop but I just want to make sure I've done everything correctly.

Is their any sure way to know that you're going to be in the ambassador program?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Check under new messages in the eShop. Should be one welcoming you to the Ambassador club.

Never posted before so bear with me....

i just called my local gamestop to get more details from them. According to the paperwork that they read to me, there are different trade in tiers for the ds units.

the dsi xl will give you the $99. price
a regular dsi will bring the cost to $109
the ds lite will be $119
and they will take the phat ds to bring the price to $129.

also... they will not do a return / rebuy unless you can show that the unit was never opened / registered.

hope that helps... it sure changed some of my excitement.

[quote name='grouchone']Never posted before so bear with me....

i just called my local gamestop to get more details from them. According to the paperwork that they read to me, there are different trade in tiers for the ds units.

the ds lite will be $119

also... they will not do a return / rebuy unless you can show that the unit was never opened / registered.

hope that helps... it sure changed some of my excitement.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, then this is a no go for me. I guess we won't know until the coupon hits tomorrow.

[quote name='grouchone']Never posted before so bear with me....

the ds lite will be $119

hope that helps... it sure changed some of my excitement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was confused at why would they give you 70$ for all systems. The deal makes more sense tiered.

Definitely killed it for me; I love my DSi XL

[quote name='Scottly']Yeah, I was confused at why would they give you 70$ for all systems. The deal makes more sense tiered.

Definitely killed it for me; I love my DSi XL[/QUOTE]
The only thing I can think, is that the tiered trade in is a normal deal for everyone and the $99 with any system is just for PUR members with coupon...
I don't think Gamestop would send out a mass email that flat out lies to the customer.

"It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99* when you trade in your old DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL between Friday, August 12, and Sunday, August 14."

And the * note:

"*Offer valid 8/12/11 - 8/14/11. Limit 1 per customer. Coupon and PowerUp Rewards card required. Offer valid toward the purchase of new 3DS only. Offer valid in store only. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. "

That seems pretty clear to me, nowhere does it say "as low as" or something along those lines.
I haven't given up hope yet
We will know soon enough though.

[quote name='wildnuts02']Not too bad for a DS Lite or DSi trade-in. Given all threads on the 3DS price drop, I thought this needed its own thread.

EDIT:

Unconfirmed rumors are running that the trade-in offers will be tiered:
DSi XL: $99
DSi : $109
DSL: $119

this amounts to about + $10 trade-in if true.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anywhere on my offer email that says the DSi and DSL will be less trade value than the XL. It just says trade in any of the three and get the 3DS for $99

[quote name='lllGurulll']I don't see anywhere on my offer email that says the DSi and DSL will be less trade value than the XL. It just says trade in any of the three and get the 3DS for $99[/QUOTE]

i agree. that's why i said it's "unconfirmed rumors" since that's all we have. hopefully PUR members get a coupon that honors the email

[quote name='mrkool899']does this come with the 20 free games?[/QUOTE]

No that offer expires tonight and GS is only doing the MSRP price drop tomorrow after the Ambassador program is over.

anyone know what some immediate flips are to best buy? i need to buy the xbox live gold starter kit and i rather use credit than money >.>

i have b2g1 free coupon also

[quote name='lllGurulll']I don't see anywhere on my offer email that says the DSi and DSL will be less trade value than the XL. It just says trade in any of the three and get the 3DS for $99[/QUOTE]

Do you also not see the Asterisk either? Because I see an Asterisk. Do you know what that's for and why it would be next to the $99 pricing?
$99 for a 3DS?
It Must Be a PowerUp Rewards Pro™ Exclusive!

It's a mobile gamers dream! For a limited time, PowerUp Rewards Pro™ members can get a brand new 3DS for only $99*

Just got off the phone with a GS manager. According to him, there is NOT a tiered system. I even called two different GS stores and got the same answer.

btw - I buy, sell, and flip video games and systems. The Ebay value of a DSL has dropped to around $45-$55 without games and extras.

[quote name='Treker22']Just got off the phone with a GS manager. According to him, there is NOT a tiered system. I even called two different GS stores and got the same answer.

btw - I buy, sell, and flip video games and systems. The Ebay value of a DSL has dropped to around $45-$55 without games and extras.[/QUOTE]

I like your information more then the others who have replied... so this is what I am choosing to beleive

bread's done
Back