Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='nbballard']So i wasted my special pass yesterday... :([/QUOTE]

I did too =( I accidentally hit "send to MiiMaker" or whatever, not realizing it would REMOVE Miyamoto from Mii Plaza. I'm so bummed.

So like an idiot I registered my 3DS about 2 weeks ago. I bought Luigi's Mansion and I'd REALLY like to get a copy of Professor Layton. If I call Nintendo do you think they'd make an exception?

[quote name='Javery']So like an idiot I registered my 3DS about 2 weeks ago. I bought Luigi's Mansion and I'd REALLY like to get a copy of Professor Layton. If I call Nintendo do you think they'd make an exception?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure if you register the XL (HAS TO BE XL NOT OG...) + Luigi game now you will get to pick the code.

Your well within the dates.

Nintendo 3DS XL hardware registered on or after 2/14/13 will qualify for this offer.

It's probably a good idea to hold off on updating your 3DS for a while, as the new update is buggy. I wanted to get into the eShop and was prompted to update, so I did it to get it over with. Near the end of the update, it says some error occurred and asked me to restart the system and try it again. Now whenever I try to access the eShop or Settings, I get a pop-up telling me that an error has occurred, to save anything I might've been doing before, and to restart the system. That happens every single time now.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the SD card since I can pull that out and the game card out and still get the same pop-up. Games seem to run fine, so the system isn't completely fucked even though I'm still pissed about this now.

So what's good in the eshop? I have about $10 to spend there. I have Crimson Shroud which is really good. I know there is Crashmo, but I'm not sure if I want my head to explode while playing a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sparta']Can you give the code away or is it tied?[/QUOTE]

You can give any code away thats not registered, I wouldnt ever give a system code away though. Just games...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's probably a good idea to hold off on updating your 3DS for a while, as the new update is buggy. I wanted to get into the eShop and was prompted to update, so I did it to get it over with. Near the end of the update, it says some error occurred and asked me to restart the system and try it again. Now whenever I try to access the eShop or Settings, I get a pop-up telling me that an error has occurred, to save anything I might've been doing before, and to restart the system. That happens every single time now.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the SD card since I can pull that out and the game card out and still get the same pop-up. Games seem to run fine, so the system isn't completely fucked even though I'm still pissed about this now.[/QUOTE]

Try this:

Originally Posted by ffdgh:
Saw this little tip on gfaqs. For those with the error, Power up the system while holding L,R,Up on the dpad and A and it should take you to the update menu to update. That should fix it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So what's good in the eshop? I have about $10 to spend there. I have Crimson Shroud which is really good. I know there is Crashmo, but I'm not sure if I want my head to explode while playing a game.[/QUOTE]

I've got Pushmo, Crashmo, and Mighty Switch Force.
Crashmo can get a little tough but it's not like, say, the 60 point puzzles in Layton. The bonus with it and Pushmo is you can get new puzzles online for free.

Mighty Switch Force is good but it's also short. The great things about all these games is the stages only take like a few minutes to solve, so they're good on the go.

I also have Cave Story which is a fun Metroid style game

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I've got Pushmo, Crashmo, and Mighty Switch Force.
Crashmo can get a little tough but it's not like, say, the 60 point puzzles in Layton. The bonus with it and Pushmo is you can get new puzzles online for free.

Mighty Switch Force is good but it's also short. The great things about all these games is the stages only take like a few minutes to solve, so they're good on the go.

I also have Cave Story which is a fun Metroid style game[/QUOTE]

If I were to get just one "Mo" game, should I just go with Crashmo because it's newer?

One of the major things the new 3DS update adds is support for that Retail-to-Digital Save Transfer Tool. From what I've read, it only supports moving the save to the digital version, not in reverse, and it deletes the save from the retail version, so it's not meant for backing up saves or anything like that. It also doesn't help that those games are poorly-priced on the eShop, so it would be better to either go digital from the start or stay with the retail version.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So what's good in the eshop? I have about $10 to spend there. I have Crimson Shroud which is really good. I know there is Crashmo, but I'm not sure if I want my head to explode while playing a game.[/QUOTE]
Mutant Mudds is a good retro-platformer that is currently on sale for $5.99 on the eShop.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']One of the major things the new 3DS update adds is support for that Retail-to-Digital Save Transfer Tool. From what I've read, it only supports moving the save to the digital version, not in reverse, and it deletes the save from the retail version, so it's not meant for backing up saves or anything like that. It also doesn't help that those games are poorly-priced on the eShop, so it would be better to either go digital from the start or stay with the retail version.[/QUOTE]

I guess this could come in handy if I decide to get Super Mario 3D Land and trade in my physical copy.
Would've liked this to come out before I sold my physical copy of Mario Kart 7...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']One of the major things the new 3DS update adds is support for that Retail-to-Digital Save Transfer Tool. From what I've read, it only supports moving the save to the digital version, not in reverse, and it deletes the save from the retail version, so it's not meant for backing up saves or anything like that. It also doesn't help that those games are poorly-priced on the eShop, so it would be better to either go digital from the start or stay with the retail version.[/QUOTE]

Good to know! I can finally transfer my MK7 save and sell my physical copy, further reducing the overall price of my XL =)

I was really considering that, since I'm so damn lazy with the carts, but the low resale price of MK7 means I will have spent $60 on the game.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I was really considering that, since I'm so damn lazy with the carts, but the low resale price of MK7 means I will have spent $60 on the game.[/QUOTE]

I got my XL for $160, with MK7, and a $20 GC, so whatever I sell the cart for will still more or less be worth it. I am surprised the trade in values are so low, though.

Holy shit - I was at GDC today for about an hour and 16 people visited my Mii Plaza. I'm going to get an absolute assload tomorrow when I'm there all day. Pretty cool.

[quote name='Javery']Holy shit - I was at GDC today for about an hour and 16 people visited my Mii Plaza. I'm going to get an absolute assload tomorrow when I'm there all day. Pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I remember last year at comics con I got hundreds of Miis. I was there everyday. Even in populated cities it seems a little hard to get people to visit you plaza.

[quote name='eliter1']I remember last year at comics con I got hundreds of Miis. I was there everyday. Even in populated cities it seems a little hard to get people to visit you plaza.[/QUOTE]

I took it twice to the Japanese shopping center in SD recently and got zero hits =(

[quote name='elessar123']I took it twice to the Japanese shopping center in SD recently and got zero hits =([/QUOTE]

I get on the trolley around Mission and Fashion Valley where most people who have a 3DS seem to be and the most I have received is seven, that was 4 days ago. 3 of those were from GS employees...:roll:

When I was in NYC I would get four or five at the Nintendo World Store, but surprisingly last time I got 10 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they were from other countries so I'd rack up those achievements

[quote name='Javery']Just got 10 more today... I thought I would get more. I'll try again tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

There's a 10 Mii limit, you have to cycle through them and let them through the plaza gate to get more than that. Which means lots of puzzle pieces real quick, but Find Mii is way too time-consuming for quick cycling like that.

[quote name='johnnypark']There's a 10 Mii limit, you have to cycle through them and let them through the plaza gate to get more than that. Which means lots of puzzle pieces real quick, but Find Mii is way too time-consuming for quick cycling like that.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought... I checked yesterday and had 10 and then got home and had 6 more. Today I had 10 and I thought it would be WAY more than that. The limit is so lame!

[quote name='Javery']That's what I thought... I checked yesterday and had 10 and then got home and had 6 more. Today I had 10 and I thought it would be WAY more than that. The limit is so lame![/QUOTE]

Yeah it really is, you just have to check it every so often. At MAGFest I was checking passes like it was a full time job.

Holy crap. I'm getting 10 hits every minute. I clear them out and by the time I'm done I have 10 more and I'm not even moving!! It is nuts!

I just went to a certain crowded market in Buffalo, NY and I got a StreetPass, I seem to get one almost everywhere I go here in WNY, there are times I don't get them but most of the time I get them. I have not gotten more than 2 at a time though unless I made special efforts to pass demo units.

[quote name='Tsundere']Atleast you get miis. I was out shopping and everywhere all day, Even at downtown Disney for dinner and I got no hits at all.[/QUOTE]

I got more hits from one evening of walking down the Las Vegas strip with my 3DS on than the entire weekend I spent at Disneyland. Very strange.

[quote name='Spacepest']I got more hits from one evening of walking down the Las Vegas strip with my 3DS on than the entire weekend I spent at Disneyland. Very strange.[/QUOTE]

Figures, I left my 3DS in my hotel the whole time I was there last week...

Recently bought the Pikachu edition 3dsXL and picked up Luigi's Mansion DM. Also chose Super Mario 3d Land from the promo. Was wondering what games I should look into? Only ones I can think of right now is possibly Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.

[quote name='Spacepest']I got more hits from one evening of walking down the Las Vegas strip with my 3DS on than the entire weekend I spent at Disneyland. Very strange.[/QUOTE]

Sin city sure does need more 3ds then good ol' disney land. You would think though tourist cities you would get streetpassed a lot at...Im sad the Pika came out a week after the big con here were everybody brings their 3ds (like over 3000 people would get LOTS of hits)

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Recently bought the Pikachu edition 3dsXL and picked up Luigi's Mansion DM. Also chose Super Mario 3d Land from the promo. Was wondering what games I should look into? Only ones I can think of right now is possibly Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.[/QUOTE]

Both. Pickup FE AND MH from toys r us with the B1 G140% off sale!~ Toys r us delayed MH though... mine hasnt shipped as of yet.

I used the save game transfer tool tonight and it was really easy. Shot a video on my phone that I might upload later, but suffice to say it does what it is supposed to do. Super dumb that it cant transfer from a digital copy to a card though, WTF?

[quote name='johnnypark']I used the save game transfer tool tonight and it was really easy. Shot a video on my phone that I might upload later, but suffice to say it does what it is supposed to do. Super dumb that it cant transfer from a digital copy to a card though, WTF?[/QUOTE]
The whole save thing needs to be worked out, along with a host of other things, if they want to make the eShop a fully viable place to buy retail games from instead of getting them online or at the store.

I work at magic kingdom and have been carrying my 3ds xl with me all week (just got it this week) and I've been getting like 30 hits everyday.

[quote name='Josh5890']I was at Pax last weekend and I got 750+ street passes from 6 different countries and 42 states. Now I won't get squat for a while.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap - were you just constantly clearing out the 10 Miis that kept showing up? It is time-consuming!

I've traveled from Chicago to Orange County CA and back at least once a month for the last 6 months and have only received a total of 6 passes... wtf?

Really need to go to some conventions or something sometime...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I've traveled from Chicago to Orange County CA and back at least once a month for the last 6 months and have only received a total of 6 passes... wtf?

Really need to go to some conventions or something sometime...[/QUOTE]

Its unfortunate its so hit or miss because when a game utilizes it well (RE:R, NSMB2) it can really add to replayability and extend the life of titles, in addition to just being fun.

bread's done
Back