Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Newest Puzzle is Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, released today in NA.

I need to step up my "stalking Gamestop for puzzle pieces", am not trying to buy everything with coins. Still haven't finished the last 6 or so.

So, questions, guys and/or gals:

Last year I bought Nyko's Powerpak, the little replacement battery that gives you more battery life. I used it for about 3 months, but then removed it because I liked using Nintendo's charging cradle.

Recently my girlfriend has been complaining about the short battery life on her 3DS, so I offered to give her the Nyko battery.

Do you folks think that it's still in working condition, or is spending six months in a cabinet without a charge ruined it in some way?

A Nintendo Direct Mini was put up today; they announced the Streetpass Relay functionality, coming "in a few weeks":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWBcd43RTo

EDIT: And Sega announced in the UK Direct that the Sega 3D Classics games are headed to the West:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/07/18/sega-3d-classic-series-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/

- 3D Altered Beast
- 3D Ecco the Dolphin
- 3D Galaxy Force II
- 3D Shinobi III
- 3D Sonic The Hedgehog
- 3D Space Harrier
- 3D Streets of Rage
- 3D Super Hang-On
One interesting note about this series is that developer M2 basically created and emulated a souped-up MegaDrive/Genesis that could handle 3D, which they called a "GigaDrive." Also, I believe that Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, and Galaxy Force II are based on the original Arcade versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Ken Griffey Jr Baseball, the first one on SNES. I wish they could do something with that.
Yeah, that was definitely my favorite baseball game.

Played a lot of Bases Loaded on NES. Don't think I ever had RBI Baseball.

So, questions, guys and/or gals:

Last year I bought Nyko's Powerpak, the little replacement battery that gives you more battery life. I used it for about 3 months, but then removed it because I liked using Nintendo's charging cradle.

Recently my girlfriend has been complaining about the short battery life on her 3DS, so I offered to give her the Nyko battery.

Do you folks think that it's still in working condition, or is spending six months in a cabinet without a charge ruined it in some way?

It seems likely that it is completely fine. No real reason it should fry the system if you try it, anyway.

Has any one replaced their wifi chip/board or antenna? Does streetpass use the wifi or Bluetooth chip?

Ended up picking The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX as my Platinum Club Nintendo reward and have been enjoying it so far having beaten the first dungeon.

I also got SMT IV in the mail yesterday and have played a bit of the introductory part of it. I was expecting it to play more like Strange Journey than Persona, but it's all good either way. It's neat that you can use play coins to pay the death tax, but I'd like it if I was told the costs upfront since it doesn't seem like you can back out once you've picked a method for payment.

Quick question. My BestBuy finally put up an XL demo unit. I have updated StreetPass on there and wifi works fine, but the damn thing will not Tag anybody. I have been there 3 times with both my 3DSs and only once did it register either of them. I fiddled with the settings with no luck. Anything I can do?

Quick question. My BestBuy finally put up an XL demo unit. I have updated StreetPass on there and wifi works fine, but the damn thing will not Tag anybody. I have been there 3 times with both my 3DSs and only once did it register either of them. I fiddled with the settings with no luck. Anything I can do?
Sounds like either someone shut the wifi off, or someone disabled tags from the Streetpass menu (or Possibly from the Notifications menu).

My local Best Buy trimmed the game area down to almost nothing. Doubt it'll get a demo unit.

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/359507837807894530

Sounds like a Black 3DS XL is coming out in North America soon, as early as this Sunday considering a Canadian retail ad said it'd be available on Sunday.
Awesome. I'm happy with my blue one, but at least this gives NA more colors... plus this means that the people complaining about the colors can finally stop. There, they can buy their 'mature' 3DS XL now.

The unfortunate thing is, though, that the stealth release of this and the timeframe seems to guarantee that the Luigi XL isn't getting even a token release (like Pikachu or AC) in NA. That's good because it saves me money, but it also kind of sucks. Year of Luigi, man.

Best buy has Nintendo zone which blocks all streetpasses. The only way to get a pass in a Nintendo zone location is if both systems are closed and in sleep mode and I am not even sure if that works.

Best buy has Nintendo zone which blocks all streetpasses. The only way to get a pass in a Nintendo zone location is if both systems are closed and in sleep mode and I am not even sure if that works.
Fortunately the upcoming Nitnendo Zone update will address this issue by adding the stepped Streetpass enhancements shown in the last Nintendo Direct Mini.

Not all of them, and you can still get streetpass hits in a Nintendo Zone. Gotten hits while at the drive-in of McDonalds before, and I had been checking the zone while in line for new content. The hits did occur when the unit was closed, though.

I went to Waldameer park in Erie and shopping at the millcreek mall and things got a bit weird as hits were coming in while I was playing with the passes I already had, but I looked all over and didn't see anyone playing. I got 5 passes at Waldameer and its a small park so definitely take your 3DS to the theme park as it seems to be worth it. Again I didn't see anyone playing physically but I still got hits including one from Hawaii though a few weeks ago at a different mall I got one from the Netherlands.

I'm a little bummed that other people actually have to visit these Nintendo Zones in order for you to get a StreetPass from them. I recently moved way up into the mountains and there is only one zone within 50 miles of where I live now and the chances of another person in this area owning a 3DS are slim. There aren't any stores that sell games here and many people living here have never been to the city. There's online shopping, of course, but internet isn't exactly commonplace.

So these new Mii Plaza games basically make any fairs/summits/conventions a real slog. The max of 10 tags can take all of 10 minutes to get, while clearing them out can be a lot longer...let's just say I've fallen asleep in my chair clearing out 2 or 3 tags (my usual in a week). I just came back from J-pop Summit in SF and I didn't both pulling my system out all day cause there was no way I'd find a good 30-40 mins to just sit there and play all the games to clear space for more tags. 1st world probzzzz

So these new Mii Plaza games basically make any fairs/summits/conventions a real slog. The max of 10 tags can take all of 10 minutes to get, while clearing them out can be a lot longer...let's just say I've fallen asleep in my chair clearing out 2 or 3 tags (my usual in a week). I just came back from J-pop Summit in SF and I didn't both pulling my system out all day cause there was no way I'd find a good 30-40 mins to just sit there and play all the games to clear space for more tags. 1st world probzzzz
I've found that most people I've tagged haven't bought the new games.

In cases like that, though, I think I'd just run through Puzzle Swap before opening the plaza again, maybe Warrior's Way just to get the larger army.

I haven't run into that problem yet.

Well, at MAGFest I only cycled for puzzle pieces. The 10 person limit only applies to peopld waiting at the gate, so once you've "welcomed" them you get new passes. Welcoming the next set just means the previous group aren't available for games.

In other words, you can rack up passes and puzzles without playing the games and the limit won't interfere with it.

Honestly, I've gotten it down to about 20 minutes to clear a full 10-man in my Streetpass.  I get my puzzle piece, I get my Warriors Way, and then I either pollinate flower for seeds or have planted a NEW plant.  

The ghost level, I have levels unlocked mostly by color (i.e. 5th floor is mostly blue red purple, 4th floor is brown and green, etc) that way I just match the color, switch floors, and then unlock something else.  Since you get MORE drops for bigger rooms, this gets them huge without much brain effort.  

I don't sweat Find Mii or the shooter one.  Either won't hurt my feelings if I can't get to them.  I just wanna ensure I get my tickets.  I don't like missing outfits.

Heck, I was planning on trolling Otakon this year JUST for Streetpass hits. 

Yea, Mii Force, Find Mii, and Flower Town are the real killers, the latter mainly because of Wendel's constant walls of text.

So, I just started Dark Moon and I am already stuck. In 1-4, how do you get into the Dining Room?

EDIT: Never mind.

I hate all of you. I can't even get a single Street Pass. Aside from the Nintendo ones during E3, I can't remember the last time anyone stopped by my plaza.

GameStop, Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us should all have taggable demo units. Might not get pink pieces, but you can build up a team for the games.

You can also get Invitation Only Miis by playing online games like Mario Kart.

So are the new mii games worth the $15 if you dont get much streetpass tags? The average i get is 1 in a day and thats coz i pass by a gamestop with a taggable unit. It doesnt have the updated firmware so the puzzles it has are the basic 1s which i already completed.

So are the new mii games worth the $15 if you dont get much streetpass tags? The average i get is 1 in a day and thats coz i pass by a gamestop with a taggable unit. It doesnt have the updated firmware so the puzzles it has are the basic 1s which i already completed.
I'm pissed that you can't get the new hats any other way. There should have been an option for a plaza ticket if you complete a puzzle or something.

Mii Force is annoying at the later levels, and with one ship (and play coins), it probably isn't worth it unless you really like bullet hell games.

Flower Town is....slow. One hit a day will get you there eventually.

Warrior's Way depends on how many are in the plaza of those you tag, so if there's a lot....might be worth it. I've noticed also that it doesn't matter if those in the plaza come from hits of their own, or invitations from games like Mario Kart 7 or even Swapnote. A few rounds of online MK7 and I've got one unit now giving 500 soldiers per hit, opposed to the 52 it had before.

The haunted House game might also be worth it provided nobody changes the color of that unit's Mii.

Overall, I might bite just because it's cheaper to buy them all, but I'd be skipping Mii Force unless I got more hits that day.

Well, in later levels of Warrior's Way you can buy thousands of warriors for 15 Play Coins.

Also, getting all the same color in Monster Manor is not the way to go. Your backlog fills up VERY quick with treasure chests.

GameStop, Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us should all have taggable demo units. Might not get pink pieces, but you can build up a team for the games.

You can also get Invitation Only Miis by playing online games like Mario Kart.
The "local" Target doesn't have a demo 3DS anymore and GameStop never did; I don't think Best Buy ever had one either, but I'm not 100% sure. Toys R Us still has one, but it isn't tag-able for some reason. All of these stores are also over an hour away.

1 a day? Man I'm lucky if I get 1 a month. I have honestly driven to the mall with the sole intention of getting a streetpass.

I don't supposed anyone knows if they make a multi-card empty DS case, do they? I don't mean those game-only cases, I mean a regular-size 3/DS case that molds multiple games?

I have no idea what Nintendo Zones are and where they could be.
Basically, there's a demo station you can watch Pokemon episodes at if you were so inclined. I did it once at a McDonald's.

You can set your own up using a non-secured router (can't be encrypted, though Mac Address filtering works).

I want to know if the relay works with that.

Just McDonald's then? If that's the case, then it's a waste of an interesting feature. I haven't been to a McDonald's in years and I'm not going to go out of my way to drive through the parking lot in the hopes that I get a StreetPass hit.

I finally got my second legit StreetPass in two years of 3DS ownership on Sunday and that fucker didn't have any puzzle pieces.

Just McDonald's then? If that's the case, then it's a waste of an interesting feature. I haven't been to a McDonald's in years and I'm not going to go out of my way to drive through the parking lot in the hopes that I get a StreetPass hit.

I finally got my second legit StreetPass in two years of 3DS ownership on Sunday and that fucker didn't have any puzzle pieces.
It's not just McDonalds, but those are the most prevalent in my area. Starbucks, Best Buy (supposedly)...actually anything with "attwifi" as their SSID works.

On the official page there's this tiny bit that really interests me:

Your wireless home network cannot be set up as a StreetPass Relay Point.

I had heard rumors that Nintendo was trying to either use new hardware for Nintendo Zones or verify "official" ones because of people who made their own. (I did with the Best Buy DLC for Animal Crossing)

I'm so curious on this.

They should be pushing for this stuff in every retailer that has 3DS demo units, which is at least Target, Best Buy, and GameStop. I'd get hits a lot more often if they went that route than some random places that you're not going to benefit from unless you directly go there.

bread's done
Back