Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Well after months of no 3DS I'm back. Animal Crossing has been taunting me. I decided to pick a 2DS up this time instead of an XL (cheaper, and less regret if I wasn't playing it  as much after a while). Wanting to pick up Yoshi's Island and Mario Golf, maybe Pokemon Y (I had X last time). Super excited that SMB3 is coming out this week on the eshop also.

I just picked up Disney's Magical World from TRU for 20 bucks. It's a bit more cutesy than I'd prefer, but I do like it so far. Haven't made it out of the prologue, though.

Just wait until Tinkerbell sheot costs you 120K and Mickey Mouse ears at 50K a piece and furniture that much as well for each piece.  I fell out of love with Disney very quickly.

Megaman 2-5 (gameboy), and xtreme 1 and 2 are coming to the 3ds VC in may!!!!!!!

Megaman 2-5 (gameboy), and xtreme 1 and 2 are coming to the 3ds VC in may!!!!!!!

I just picked up a Pokemon 3DS XL, and its amazing. My first reaction... why didn't I get an XL sooner!
I find it hard to go back to the regular 3DS for extended periods. Ironically, though, the 2DS doesn't give me that problem. I'm thinking it's hand position while playing.

My local Cumberland Farms is having a $5 off deal on $20 or $50 eshop gift cards. Super psyched about that. Anyone else have a Cumby's with such a deal?

XL is the way to go.  3 in this household.  Looking back I try to remember how I could justify playing stuff so small (and THEN I think about my Gameboy Micro and laugh my butt off) (or those little watches we had back in the 80's... you had the top, the middle and the bottom that'd pop up and you could "play" portable games)

Should I be scared that I remember owning most of those?  (X-men,  Jurassic Park & Topgun was prolly the one I spent the most on)  I owned Gameboy and Game Gear too.  Haha and that Batman watch... good times. OMG... R-zone.  Wow.. this guy is annoying as sheot.. but it brings back some memories.

I have owned a ton of those Tiger games, they are so lame when you think about it, I sold most of them. I never had any of the game watches though.

I had a couple of Tiger games. I remember treating them to a hammer one day after getting my first brick Game Boy (which I still have, and still works)

My Game Gear died a year ago, sadly. Still looking for another at a decent price. 

Wow.. this guy is annoying as sheot.. but it brings back some memories.
The Nerd is all an act by James Rolfe. His feelings are true, but the extreme whininess and toilet humor is just for show. His Board Game James role was far more happy-go-lucky (before Mr. Bucket and Dream Phone killed him), even playing Loopy Louie with various people at the Mass Effect 3 booth at PAX East. Rolfe's true personality is shown in the James & Mike Mondays episodes, where he is a laid back snarker.

This video is a good example:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have one of those, but if it's $5 off $20 or $50, then the $20 cards are definitely the better deal there.
Definitely. I grabbed a $20 one today. Hoping the deal continues into May so that I can grab another after this next weekend. If it seems like it's going to keep going, I'll probably offer to buy them for people at-cost.

Lost about 600 pieces' worth of StreetPass puzzles thanks to the shitty system design where the SD card can easily unseat itself at any point in time. The SpotPass Mii I got last happened during that scenario so it wiped every puzzle that was on SD card, which is a terrible idea for them to not store all of data on the system memory for an OS level app. At least I know what happens when you complete all puzzles now.

Is anyone else only able to get 8 StreetPasses through relays? It used to be 9, but now it's only 8 for me and I can't seem to find any information about why this might be.

Lost about 600 pieces' worth of StreetPass puzzles thanks to the shitty system design where the SD card can easily unseat itself at any point in time. The SpotPass Mii I got last happened during that scenario so it wiped every puzzle that was on SD card, which is a terrible idea for them to not store all of data on the system memory for an OS level app. At least I know what happens when you complete all puzzles now.
Had that happen last week. I turned the system off, removed and re-inserted the SD Card, ans turned the game back on. All my puzzles re-appeared.

Had that happen last week. I turned the system off, removed and re-inserted the SD Card, ans turned the game back on. All my puzzles re-appeared.
Doesn't work. It keeps taunting me with the error message about the SD card not being available the last time SpotPass wanted to access it, so I think they're gone for good with maybe no way to get more puzzles since the Special Mii wasn't offering any new puzzles. This might be enough for me to stop bringing my 3DS with me since there's no point without Puzzle Swap.

Doesn't work. It keeps taunting me with the error message about the SD card not being available the last time SpotPass wanted to access it, so I think they're gone for good with maybe no way to get more puzzles since the Special Mii wasn't offering any new puzzles. This might be enough for me to stop bringing my 3DS with me since there's no point without Puzzle Swap.
what about the other games?

The flower garden or the warriors way I find those very fun.

I have a question about the XL, my Pokemon XL is built rather cheaply, as in the pokemon design plate on the bottom is simply screwed in with 2 screws on the top, this makes the plate lift up on the side and the other edge. I am just wondering if this happens on any other XL or if this is exclusive to the Pokemon edition. Now guaranteed you probably have to try to pull up the edge but it still happens rather easily and I have never seen this happen on another Nintendo system.

His suggestions there are what I already do, so maybe I'm just getting really unlucky? I guess I'll try some new MAC addresses that I haven't used before and see how it goes. I didn't mind only getting 9/10, but only getting 8/10 sometimes isn't enough to fully grow my flowers on Flower Town. It's not a huge issue, of course, but it's a bit annoying.

EDIT: That seems to have done the trick! Looks like I'll have to add some more addresses to my list in order to avoid future issues. Thanks!

I had that problem last week. This is what worked for me:

1. Go the Mii Plaza settings and turn off StreetPass and SpotPass.
2. Save the settings and exit Mii Plaza.
3. Go to Mii Plaza again and turn StreetPass and SpotPass back on

Once I did that, it started working again!

I just randomly started up the Mii Plaza again and the puzzles finally showed up after a million attempts to get it to fix itself earlier, so that scare is over. Now they just need to fix the stupidity that is not having all of the data for an OS level app on the internal memory so that nothing can cause it to fail like that again.

His suggestions there are what I already do, so maybe I'm just getting really unlucky? I guess I'll try some new MAC addresses that I haven't used before and see how it goes. I didn't mind only getting 9/10, but only getting 8/10 sometimes isn't enough to fully grow my flowers on Flower Town. It's not a huge issue, of course, but it's a bit annoying.

EDIT: That seems to have done the trick! Looks like I'll have to add some more addresses to my list in order to avoid future issues. Thanks!

I had that problem last week. This is what worked for me:

1. Go the Mii Plaza settings and turn off StreetPass and SpotPass.
2. Save the settings and exit Mii Plaza.
3. Go to Mii Plaza again and turn StreetPass and SpotPass back on

Once I did that, it started working again!
What setup are you using for homepass?

I'm just using the Sanoxy WiFi repeater. For changing MAC addresses, I just do it manually through the router settings instead of using a cycler.

I mainly do Homepass to finish puzzles. The paid Streetpass games I only have on one system, and I get enough Streetpasses daily from the others to make it not an issue. I'm really sick of hitting the same idiot 6 times on RANDOM Macs just because he had to let it continuously cycle. There really isn't a reason for that, especially in that short a time period. 

I'm not sure I would do it if I had to change them manually.
I usually only do the StreetPass stuff once a day, so it's not really much work on my part. As long as I don't have any issues, I just connect to an address to collect 6 passes, connect to another one to get 3 more, play the games, and shut off my 3DS. Some days, I don't even bother at all.

I Streetpass normally. I get one every day for sure, and on Sundays, I walk around a local shopping center after church. I swing by Home Depot and get nearly two full sets of Streetpasses, then after clearing one set out, I walk over to McDonalds and then to Starbucks. I can usually get three complete sets on Sunday. I'm only missing 9 of the flowers in Flower Town, and I'm on the 32 floor of Monster Mansion. Love those Streetpass games. I would buy more in a heartbeat.

oh, i never even thought about my mii being left at all of the locations. =(

not doing that again.

Since the range on my 3ds is limited to about 1-3' for detecting other 3ds's Homepass is really my only solution.

When it was working I didn't get very many in the wild. (pre-relay) it was borked prior to the relays being setup.

I was hoping that I might have gotten some at the FIRST Robot world champions matches. But alas I saw someone with one open taking pictures of the CIA Expo booth and it wouldn't even streetpass with them.

When i was standing next to them.

I guess i am going to look into opening it up and checking on the attenna to see if it has come disconnected.

You won't always streetpass someone, even if you see them. Yes it happens all the time, but the problem is a lot of people don't have streetpass set up on their systems, especially kids who just got the systems, and that is who is usually playing them in public I find.

Very true. But there's also what I call the "phantom pass". Generally it happens when 2 or more systems try to hit one at the same time. The sending systems will tag, but the receiving one MAY NOT. 

This has happened to me with my multiple systems quite a few times. It's one of the reasons that I actually use the music app to track when it happens more than once in a given time period. 

So any thoughts on Mario Golf yet from anyone who may have it? Looking for some opinions before I consider purchasing it.
I haven't played any Mario Golf titles since NES Open, but I love it. It looks good, controls well, and it's a lot of fun. My only issue is that I can't figure out how to intentionally slice or hook a shot, but to be fair I didn't do any tutorials so it's quite possible that it's something that would be explained if i did. It's also possible you just can't do it, which would be frustrating.

You know what would be more interesting for Mario Golf? A more tolerant tour that lets non-Mushroom Kingdom residents on their tour. Hylians, Samus, Star Fox people, Captain Olimar, Kirby and friends, Professor Layton, etc. should be allowed to play in this day and age. That would help give it a bit more variety for me.

I'll be honest.  I picked it up... started to play... and it just kept TALKING to me.  FFS, I just wanted to Golf and Toad kept yelling at me... then they tell me I need to play a practice round for a handicap and to go find some guy near the tees.. but then I walk outside and there are about 20 people to talk to.. NONE of which are the person to get the golf game started.

And then I worked on Saturday (blech) when I was supposed to be off.  And tomorrow is Star Wars day so we got a campaign going.  So no time then.  Maybe I'll squeeze in the round tonight if I can find the right person.

The hook and whatnot are explained in the VERY FIRST tutorial they FORCE you to play.  You have to hit a button combo (aa, bb, ab, ba) or some such and a direction.  But I don't know specifics as I didn't get much further than that.

I got the Rosanna  Pansino Gold Mii again.

Is this just a blatant paid advert for her youtube channel ect. ?

Just curios how a non-nintendo person get's a gold mii.

You know what would be more interesting for Mario Golf? A more tolerant tour that lets non-Mushroom Kingdom residents on their tour. Hylians, Samus, Star Fox people, Captain Olimar, Kirby and friends, Professor Layton, etc. should be allowed to play in this day and age. That would help give it a bit more variety for me.
I've been saying the same thing for years, except I wish they'd do it for MK.

Mario Golf, Tennis and Kart should all get the Smash treatment. It'd add a layer of freshness to each of the series without Nintendo really having to brainstorm to come up with something new and unique.

That's odd. Got the notification for the last gold pant Mii (Rosanna from Nerdy Nummies) a second time via Nintendo Zone. They did not send it a second time, sadly. 

bread's done
Back