Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Strell, I would gladly buy a Die Hard Arcade for the 3DS if Sega weren't so lame these days.[/QUOTE]

Stranger things have happened recently. If Capcom can bring out those arcade D&D games, Sega should be able to get their shit together and bring that out. I sunk so many quarters back in the day poppin' people running down the hall.

I remember Miyamoto saying he'd like to remake Link to the Past which had me excited enough, but this, this is more than I could have hoped for.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Oh my... The new Nintendo Direct's lineup really can't disappoint.
A new Link to the Past, Shin Megami Tensei IV LE, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong.[/QUOTE]

A Link to the Future?

I wish we could get a white 3DS XL (or black) without the Animal Crossing icons. Mind you, I love Animal Crossing, but I can't see carrying that thing around. LOL.

Holy shit. A top down Zelda for 3DS!!! This thing better be HUGE. Someone in charge of the decision making over there is finally starting to get it.

It's pretty obvious Nintendo is in panic mode. Top down Zelda, new Yoshi, and Earthbound point to this. Still no new side scrolling Metroid, no new Starfox in the vain of 64, and nothing really groundbreaking. I'll be in for Zelda most likely but I hope they have something better come e3.

[quote name='jkam']It's pretty obvious Nintendo is in panic mode. Top down Zelda, new Yoshi, and Earthbound point to this. Still no new side scrolling Metroid, no new Starfox in the vain of 64, and nothing really groundbreaking. I'll be in for Zelda most likely but I hope they have something better come e3.[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine if they announced new side-scrolling Metroid or new Starfox 64? Then they would be really panicking . . . wait, I don't understand how this argument works.

He's sad because the 3DS is getting a ton of great new games, and the Vita...well it's at least a nice piece of hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jkam']It's pretty obvious Nintendo is in panic mode. Top down Zelda, new Yoshi, and Earthbound point to this. Still no new side scrolling Metroid, no new Starfox in the vain of 64, and nothing really groundbreaking. I'll be in for Zelda most likely but I hope they have something better come e3.[/QUOTE]

I dont think you can whip up games quickly in any sort of panic, but the new sequel to ALttP and the Wind Waker HD may have been reactions to the original slow launch of the 2DS and Wii U.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']He's sad because the 3DS is getting a ton of great new games, and the Vita...well it's at least a nice piece of hardware.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you don't have a Vita, Sorry you'll miss out on Quacamelee! and other great titles. I own a 3DS but at this point there are no surprises...is it too much to ask for something truly new? I didn't say any of these games will be bad, I'm sure most will be great but it's just a little too predictable. As for Panic mode people have been clamoring for Earthbound for years and all of a sudden when the Wii U aint doing so hot they magically release it? Even a top down Zelda in the vain of LTTP and a new Yoshi seem a little too much like throwing things at the wall, since when does Nintendo release things people have been asking for, for years?

I guess I'm a little jaded for wanting other titles like Metroid and Starfox and something original but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind a surprise here and there.

[quote name='jkam']Apparently you don't have a Vita, Sorry you'll miss out on Quacamelee! and other great titles.[/QUOTE]

Quacamelee, the version of Guacamelee with ducks.

(Guacamelee is also on the PS3)

Looking forward to the new Zelda, but that Yoshi's Island game looks kind of fugly and slow. That art style doesn't look so great when it's done with polygonal characters with no cel shading at all.

They are leaving nothing for E3... or are they? They can't possibly have more awesomeness up their sleeves, can they? 3DS is absolutely PACKED with top-tier releases from basically now until the end of the year. Finally!

Awesome news on Zelda. LTTP is very high on my all time favorite games list.

Really glad I jumped on a 3DS in the target sale a few weeks back.

Yeah it seems like Wii U is going to be great in 2014 and no sooner. I'm pleased with it so far and I'm glad they are improving Wii mode. I have a lot of Wii games to finish. I got 120 stars on mario galaxy this weekend. Never was great at those purple coin levels.

[quote name='jkam']I guess I'm a little jaded for wanting other titles like Metroid and Starfox and something original but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind a surprise here and there.[/QUOTE]

New Metroid and Starfox are original? o_O

Theyll announce 3ds with dual analogs at e3. Hehe! But yeah all these great news announcements on direct seems like overkill and one would think "is there more to top these on e3?"

[quote name='jkam'] Still no new side scrolling Metroid, no new Starfox in the vain of 64, and nothing really groundbreaking. [/QUOTE]

Pushmo/Crashmo and Dillans Rolling Western are both new types of games and new IPs.

There was also Steel Diver, which while not worth $40, isnt bad if you can score it for cheap.

Finally Nintendo also released Face Raiders and AR games included with the 3DS.

I dont claim that all five of those are massive winners (Pushmo is though), but they are all fun in their own way.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I imagine they'll let E3 be mostly about the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so.

I just find it funny:

Nintendo announces new top-down Zelda and it's desperate caving to fan demands and recycling of old ideas AND where's my side-scrolling Metroid, assholes?

Also, I find the need for GROUNDBREAKING NEW GAMEPLAY a bit tiresome. I can't imagine how some people deal with movies, music, or television.

[quote name='theflicker']Also, I find the need for GROUNDBREAKING NEW GAMEPLAY a bit tiresome.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with this more. There's a reason I spend more time going back to replay classics than anything.

[quote name='Scorch']Quacamelee, the version of Guacamelee with ducks.[/QUOTE]

Lol!

[quote name='DNukem170']New Metroid and Starfox are original? o_O[/QUOTE]

No, but less milked than Mario.

[quote name='foltzie']Pushmo/Crashmo and Dillans Rolling Western are both new types of games and new IPs.

There was also Steel Diver, which while not worth $40, isnt bad if you can score it for cheap.

Finally Nintendo also released Face Raiders and AR games included with the 3DS.

I dont claim that all five of those are massive winners (Pushmo is though), but they are all fun in their own way.[/QUOTE]

Played Steel Diver thought it was horrible they tried to pass that off as a 3DS game and a full release, should have been an eshop title. I have Pushmo...it's fun. Haven't tried Crashmo yet. Dillans Rolling Western I passed on...just wasn't interested enough after reading reviews. Face Raiders and AR games are ok but merely a quick diversion. [quote name='theflicker']

I just find it funny:

Nintendo announces new top-down Zelda and it's desperate caving to fan demands and recycling of old ideas AND where's my side-scrolling Metroid, assholes?

Also, I find the need for GROUNDBREAKING NEW GAMEPLAY a bit tiresome. I can't imagine how some people deal with movies, music, or television.[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask for GROUNDBREAKING NEW GAMEPLAY maybe just a surprise game with a new character might be nice. I'm not angry about the stuff were getting its just paint by numbers at this point. Nintendo used to be all about coloring outside the lines and now it's turn and burn rinse and repeat. I think a new 2.5D Metroidvania would be more exciting than say a Yoshi game which we got a new one on the DS. Why not switch off and go with Metroid or Starfox instead? It was nice to get a Kid Icarus game (even though I wasn't crazy about it) just because it was more out of left field.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']I couldn't agree with this more. There's a reason I spend more time going back to replay classics than anything.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I like new and original as much as the next person but if something works it works. There's a reason I replay the top-down Zeldas all the time.

[quote name='Javery']Yup. I like new and original as much as the next person but if something works it works. There's a reason I replay the top-down Zeldas all the time.[/QUOTE]

Completely agreed. I just replayed Oracle of Seasons for the first time since it's release and loved it. I'm currently playing Oracle of Ages and it's amazing how it's the same, but so different from Seasons at the same time. I'm actually finding it to be slightly more difficult honestly.

[quote name='jkam']No, but less milked than Mario.[/QUOTE]Did they announce any Mario games? Yoshi's series only have 3 games (Yoshi's Island, Story, and DS. Though you could beef it up with Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, and Yoshi's Safari.

The only non-re-release top-down Zelda games recently have been Minnish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

There will be more Smash Bros. games soon than Mother games.

[quote name='elessar123']You arrive at a town, where a "raccoon" creature forces a house on you, and makes you do stuff like collect bugs to pay off your debt, while selling you expensive furniture with the pittance you make. After months of menial labor, you pay off your debt, but... he's super nice and upgrades your house and makes it bigger, so you can remain in debt to him, while you spend more money at his shop to fill the empty space.

Then if you don't play for awhile, weeds grow everywhere, and the townspeople move away. You can also invite real people over to steal your rare bugs.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Bravo, summed it up pretty well. Tried it on GC and never clicked with me beyond your description...

Otherwise, I've been REALLY happy with the 3DS and the first party support Ninty has given it. With my schedule my gaming is transitioning to handheld heavy BIG time in nice lil bite size doses.

[quote name='jkam']
Played Steel Diver thought it was horrible they tried to pass that off as a 3DS game and a full release, should have been an eshop title. I have Pushmo...it's fun. Haven't tried Crashmo yet. Dillans Rolling Western I passed on...just wasn't interested enough after reading reviews. Face Raiders and AR games are ok but merely a quick diversion.
[/QUOTE]

I concur that Steel Diver isnt a $40 title, but rather more like a $10 title. The controls were weird, in an almost Steel Batallion sort of away. I liked it, but wont pick up any sequels unless they are priced like Pushmo.

I would concur that Face Raiders and AR games are more diversion based and I havent booted them in over a year, but they are new.

List of New Nintendo IPs in the past decade:
http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/forum/t-469495

Nintendo hasnt been slacking, but nothing has really taken off the way that Brain Age and Nintendogs did for the original DS.

Ultimately though, its up to Nintendo to figure out what will catch fire next and publish it, that or release another Pokemon game ;-)

Steel Diver's been at $5 more than once, and I figure it's a fair price, same for Pilotwings. It's a really different game. Also it strikes me that Miyamoto loves time limits.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Goddamn it, do I buy a Wii U just to support Earthbound?[/QUOTE]

By the time Earthbound comes out, the Wii U will probably be worth it.

With the amount of support Nintendo has been giving the 3DS, one has to think they are saving the Wii U content for E3. At least I hope they are... :pray:

Maybe somebody here can help me. I'm just about done with my first run through in Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I just can't happen to beat the final boss. (Rest in spoiler)

I am doing the Gin/Haru route and am at the final Bel, Babel. I keep on trying different ways to beat him, but always end up short :wall: If anybody can offer any advice, any at all can would be appreciated haha

[quote name='3GSid']Maybe somebody here can help me. I'm just about done with my first run through in Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I just can't happen to beat the final boss. (Rest in spoiler)

I am doing the Gin/Haru route and am at the final Bel, Babel. I keep on trying different ways to beat him, but always end up short :wall: If anybody can offer any advice, any at all can would be appreciated haha
[/QUOTE]

Try fusing stronger demons like Amaterasu and pass it Holy Dance?

Oh man, 3DS be killing it. I really would prefer Zelda and Yoshi Story use 2D sprites though. Those just "pop" so much more in 3D (like the menus in most games, or a lot of Paper Mario). 3D effect with polygonal models is much much more subtle imho (Luigi's Mansion, for example).

[quote name='Zmonkay']Oh man, 3DS be killing it. I really would prefer Zelda and Yoshi Story use 2D sprites though. Those just "pop" so much more in 3D (like the menus in most games, or a lot of Paper Mario). 3D effect with polygonal models is much much more subtle imho (Luigi's Mansion, for example).[/QUOTE]

I agree... but Luigi's Mansion looks gooooooood....

Quite honestly I think E3 is going to be all about the new Zelda and Mario on WiiU.

Now Mario I am interested in because 3D mario games are always inventive and crazy. Zelda on the other hand needs to be more than a coat of HD to get me interested.

Loving that SMT IV Limited Edition though.

bread's done
Back