Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Regardless of the release date, it's going to sell out pretty quickly. The price point might not even matter for the first batch.

I just hope they've got people working in the magic mines at all possible hours, since they'll need a huge amount to make these things.

If it does release before Christmas it has a chance to have an even bigger shortage than with the Wii launch. Secondary prices will be insane. I am going to have to watch Amazon like a hawk for when they put it up for preorder, quickly jump on one for myself.

I'm guessing December for Japan, March for the other two regions. If it really does release by December in the US/EU, then I would expect a situation similar to the DS launch: Hardware shortages and not too many launch titles (Possibly very few new titles, if any, for a few months).

I just checked Amazon again, figuring that, heck, if they were taking preorders, I might as well. Oddly enough, the product has disappeared from their site altogether now. Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled.

[quote name='Strell']Regardless of the release date, it's going to sell out pretty quickly. The price point might not even matter for the first batch.

I just hope they've got people working in the magic mines at all possible hours, since they'll need a huge amount to make these things.[/QUOTE]

so more overtime at Foxconn?

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I think Reggie said before March 2011, so hopefully we'll see it sooner. Plus he said the 3DS you saw at E3 will most likely be the final product, so they don't have to redo anything. Which makes for a faster release date.[/QUOTE]

I hope that is what he said. Why would they release it right After christmas? I mean the biggest holiday shopping season and you are gonna miss it by such a short time? If they can't make this christmas then delay until next christmas I would say.

Then again, maybe it's a new marketing thing. They figure people will give gift cards which can be used to buy the 3ds later ha.

[quote name='iwannadie']Why would they release it right After christmas? [/QUOTE]

You have a point re: "Why just miss the holiday season?" but you have to remember a few things.

1) As you suggested, gift cards post-holiday would be around.
2) No matter when they launch this, early adopters are going to snap it up like crazy.
3) Technically it is best to launch it with a strong software component. Pokemon Black/White would be the most obvious choice (I think KingBroly said this as well), despite being a non-3DS tech title. The next most obvious is the Ocarina remake, which may or may not be done in time. Kid Icarus would arguably be third. This could cause a delay by itself, although it is much lessened given that the DS library is 99% compatible.

Point being that you're following up the massive E3 fervor - long lines to test it, HUGE software from third parties coming, nearly universal praise across the board - for a device that is the sequel to the biggest gaming platform of all time. Nintendo could probably sell it for $400 in a box filled with bees and you'd still have people lining up to get their game on and their asses stung.

Barring something astronomical like a real life zombie invasion, this thing is gonna hit the ground running while on top of a rocket sled being carried by roadrunners lubed up and sporting barrels of NOS. I don't WANT Nintendo to take advantage of this fact. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt given that they traditionally understand the need for mutual entry prices, BUT let's not kid ourselves - this is meth to meth addicts situation.

So get ready for a high initial price point that's going to sell out anyway, giving them plenty of room to drop it after the first few million, which will work out nicely because by then you'll have replenished supplies and the first wave of third party games on shelves. That boulders gonna roll, moonas gonna joona, haters gonna hate.

It's about as close to a perfect storm as could be hoped for. Yamauchi must be happy because the pure sound of cha ching is going to further extend his contract with the Devil to let him live a few more decades.

[quote name='iwannadie']I hope that is what he said. Why would they release it right After christmas? I mean the biggest holiday shopping season and you are gonna miss it by such a short time? If they can't make this christmas then delay until next christmas I would say.

Then again, maybe it's a new marketing thing. They figure people will give gift cards which can be used to buy the 3ds later ha.[/QUOTE]

It might be a smart move. Christmas is the biggest shopping time of the year so every major gaming release occurs then (Halo: Reach, Call of Duty 5). Nintendo will make boatloads of cash during the holidays on new Wii and DS releases.

Then they release the 3DS in March which is a time when gaming is at it's slowest. There will literally be no good games coming out since they were all released during the holidays. So what happens when you release the successor to the DS when your competition has nothing?

It's like they will have huge profits during gaming biggest period, AND it's slowest period.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo could probably sell it for $400 in a box filled with bees and you'd still have people lining up to get their game on and their asses stung.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I suppose Nintendo really just wants a good number of quality software to back this thing up at launch. It'll be out before Christmas in Japan, but I don't know enough about Japanese folks to know if they have a massive spendy holiday like Americans. I do know the Japanese would make love to Nintendo if they could, so it'll be crazy successful there.

Possible hope for a Christmas launch:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/22/3ds-march-2011.aspx

Speaking to Industry Gamers, Reggie Fils-Aime said "The reason we haven’t announced a launch date or pricing is that, first, we wanted to get reaction here. Secondly, we’ll be making individual market decisions in terms of what’s happening in Japan, what’s happening in the Americas, what’s happening in Europe. The one thing, for sure, is that we will launch in all of our major markets by March 31, 2011."

What's happening in America? CHRISTMAS!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that is checking Amazon multiples times each day to make sure the 3ds isn't up for preorder yet. This is the only kind of 3D that isn't annoying me, portable and no need for those damn glasses.

:whee:

They can afford to release it in March for the same reason every Pokemon game was release in March/April. They know it will sell any time, and you still need to buy something for Xmas no matter what.

[quote name='utopianmachine']:rofl:

I suppose Nintendo really just wants a good number of quality software to back this thing up at launch. It'll be out before Christmas in Japan, but I don't know enough about Japanese folks to know if they have a massive spendy holiday like Americans. I do know the Japanese would make love to Nintendo if they could, so it'll be crazy successful there.[/QUOTE]

I guess it does make sense, they know it will sell and doesn't need the holiday shopping season to push it. They will get parents buying all the wii and ds games for christmas. Then let the 3ds roll some hype into the following christmas when it has a bigger library of games for parents to buy along with the system.

In any case, I'm buying it launch day and I can't wait for it.

This thing will sell like hotcakes. It's gonna be like every console launch. It's great! Can we call this launch, the launch of the next generation? (Well, maybe not since Microsoft and Sony want to try and keep their consoles lasting until 2015... or something like that).

[quote name='seanr1221']My guess is Kid Icarus.[/QUOTE]

I hope Kid Icarus isn't too much to ask for...

My hope is to preorder Kid Icarus and some other title, like Assassin's Creed or Animal Crossing. Or Nintendogs + Cats. Or Paper Mario. Or all of them.

- Nintendo revealed a new trailer of 3DS, which revealed several NES and SNES classics which will be coming to 3DS with 3D effects, including:

* Mega Man 2
* Castlevania
* Urban Champion
* Kid Icarus
* Yoshi's Island
* Smash Ping Pong - Mario Bros.
* Super Mario Bros.
* Tennis
* The Legend of Zelda
* Metroid
* Mystery of Murasame Castle

Kid Icarus doesn't look that interesting to me. I hope Nintendogs + Cats is a launch title and it comes out this Holiday season. That would make the perfect Christmas/Birthday gift for my wife.

[quote name='Masterkyo']- Nintendo revealed a new trailer of 3DS, which revealed several NES and SNES classics which will be coming to 3DS with 3D effects, including:

* Mega Man 2
* Castlevania
* Urban Champion
* Kid Icarus
* Yoshi's Island
* Super Mario Bros.
* Tennis
* The Legend of Zelda
* Metroid
* Mystery of Murasame Castle[/QUOTE]

Link?

I wonder how much these 3DS games will cost. I hope they stay in the current DS price range of $30-$35 and those SNES or NES remakes should not cost the same as a full retail 3DS game.

[quote name='Masterkyo']- Nintendo revealed a new trailer of 3DS, which revealed several NES and SNES classics which will be coming to 3DS with 3D effects, including:

* Mega Man 2
* Castlevania
* Urban Champion
* Kid Icarus
* Yoshi's Island
* Super Mario Bros.
* Tennis
* The Legend of Zelda
* Metroid
* Mystery of Murasame Castle[/QUOTE]

Weren't those listed on Joystiq as the tech demo ones, just to show what an old game would look like in 3D? Don't get me wrong, it'd be hella tight if they are legit games, but I was under the impression they were just glorified demos.

I am fine with a next year release, it means Nintendo rapes my wallet less this christmas season which is a good thing since I already plan to give them at least $150 between sept-dec.

Even though it's a longer wait this will ensure that I will have more than enough for a 3DS and some of the games out at launch. Might even sell some other stuff on top of that and invest in more 3DS software.

I'm cool either way. If it comes out this year, awesome. But if it comes out next year that just means everyone has more time to work on their launch games and make them better.

[quote name='blueweltall']I wonder how much these 3DS games will cost. I hope they stay in the current DS price range of $30-$35 and those SNES or NES remakes should not cost the same as a full retail 3DS game.[/QUOTE]

They apparently cost $35-40

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendogs-Ca..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WTWDX79BM9PECR3Z4CG

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Solid-S..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WTWDX79BM9PECR3Z4CG

http://www.amazon.com/Contra-3DS-Ni..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WTWDX79BM9PECR3Z4CG

Eh, while that's somewhat reassuring, early reservations by retailers tend to be suggestions at first. But we'll see. It makes sense that they'd be $35 minimum, given the boost in power, which takes it to somewhere above-or-around PSP levels, since I never for sure got this straightened out. Of course, Nintendo knows game prices (like hardware) should really be affordable, so I'm going to hope for current prices. But we'll see.

On a 100% unrelated note, and given that this thread has a lot of exposure, did anyone here use my Threadless link in my signature lately? Because I got some points the other day, and I'd just like to say thanks to whoever did that. So please let me know, and a preemptive thanks!

I will be a day one adopter and that is primarily because of the words nintendo and Metal Gear, but seriously, kid icarus is gonna be great! Zelda and Starfox look great but shouldn't we be more excited on the possibilities to come rather than another rehash by nintendo (no I haven't played it yet).. I am just saying.

edit: I did see somewhere while going through e3 stuff that it's scheduled release date was march 2011, if you didn't hear it yet, you heard it here first!

I'm slightly more positive on this thing after considering that the 3D slider itself could be incorporated into the game mechanics, thus being legitimately more than "the same games but with a new visual flare"

For instance, a platformer where sections would need to be completely 2D or 3D (or certain points in between) for you to proceed.

Also, your position on the slider could be used to trigger things. For example, things that are only visible/only appear when you are at a certain point on the slider - not as a function of the 2D/3D continuum necessarily, but just using the slider variable as a trigger.

If CING were still around they would pull some mind blowing tricks out of the hardware like they did for Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk.

KingBroly was right - PR retraction on Monday, just as he predicted.

I think it's crazy that your PRESIDENT EXEC could make a statement and have it be retracted a few days later. Why didn't he just stick to the "by March 2011" prediction? That would have made more sense.

Also, it looked like Jimmy Fallon wasn't even looking at the screen during that whole bit, in much the same way you can tell someone isn't playing a game in a movie/tv show when they just PRESSALLTHEBUTTONSREALLYFASTJUSTLIKETHISBECAUSETHEYARESOGOODATITOMG.

I am hoping for a remake of Xenogears in 3D!

On a side note I wonder if applying screen protector on the top screen will diminish the 3D effect. I know you don't really need one but it just give me extra assurance when I let my nephew and niece play with my portable system.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'm slightly more positive on this thing after considering that the 3D slider itself could be incorporated into the game mechanics, thus being legitimately more than "the same games but with a new visual flare".[/QUOTE]

Cut out the rest of your comment, but was there any indication that the slider position was readable by the system? It seemed that the slider was passive so that you could adjust for your viewing distance.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']For instance, a platformer where sections would need to be completely 2D or 3D (or certain points in between) for you to proceed.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding snarky, you should look into a little game called Super Paper Mario. Having a character run around on a 2D plane with the ability to flip to a 3D mode to uncover stuff hidden behind other stuff and the like was a key element of that game.

[quote name='foltzie']Cut out the rest of your comment, but was there any indication that the slider position was readable by the system? It seemed that the slider was passive so that you could adjust for your viewing distance.[/QUOTE]

The system firmware at least will be aware of whether or not the 3D toggle is on or off. If it's off, it won't need to generate a second image...so having it generate a second one would be a needless waste of some energy. As to whether games themselves will know if a system is in 3D mode or not, they'll almost need to, in case games rely on 2D or 3D for any reason.

bread's done
Back