Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='elessar123']I love my internet everywhere I go. What I hate is having voice. I'd rather pay $60 unlimited data than $30 data and $50 voice.

Hell, I'd go as far a saying I'd pay Verizon $100 for unlimited 4G with tether/mobile hotspot. Home internet + phone costs me much more.[/QUOTE]

generally there's so many wifi hotspots in major cities, you hardly need a portable hotspot (though it's nice when you actually do need it)...but my friends all have smart phones that if I ever really need something they are all frantic to try and find it first. I have a gps in my car, a very portable laptop...and a 3DS. I'd prefer a more limited voice plan and a more flexible data plan but that doesn't exist for my carrier atm.

...some day.

[quote name='lilman']Limited edition Zelda 3DS bundle coming to Europe:
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/11/gaze_at_this_beautiful_limited_edition_zelda_3ds_console

[/QUOTE]

Is it the general consensus now that this custom model will be exclusively available at Bestbuy stores this Black Friday here in the states (Nov.25)? I've notice that Target is only advertising the regular red 3ds w/ MarioLand bundle in the BF flyer.

( Similar to how Walmart and Sams Club have dibs on the sale of the blue Wii system for now )

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Is it the general consensus now that this custom model will be exclusively available at Bestbuy stores this Black Friday here in the states (Nov.25)?[/QUOTE]
So far I've only read that this is coming to Europe. I think US will get a limited edition bundle, especially for the holidays, but not necessarily Zelda themed.

1 more day! Crap, between still playing Dark Souls on PS3, Skyrim on 360, Mario on 3DS, and soon Zelda on Wii? Might have to take time off from work :D

[quote name='lilman']So far I've only read that this is coming to Europe. I think US will get a limited edition bundle, especially for the holidays, but not necessarily Zelda themed.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully, the Zelda 3DS LE bundle is pretty much confirmed to be available on Black Friday in the U.S. based on the Gamestop & BestBuy BF ads (on sale for $179.99). I wonder how fast it will sell out ...

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Thankfully, the Zelda 3DS LE bundle is pretty much confirmed to be available on Black Friday in the U.S. based on the Gamestop & BestBuy BF ads (on sale for $179.99). I wonder how fast it will sell out ...[/QUOTE]

Minor correction: it looks like BB only has a Cosmo Black bundle with OoT3D, not the LE version, and Gamestop has the LE bundle for $199.99, but they have a few DS trade-in promos.

[quote name='theflicker']Minor correction: it looks like BB only has a Cosmo Black bundle with OoT3D, not the LE version [/QUOTE]

What makes you believe that is the case? The Bestbuy BF ad showcases the same Zelda 3DS LE box packaging as the Gamestop ad :

BESTBUY PIC
picture.php

GAMESTOP PIC
picture.php

[quote name='foltzie']http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/12/3ds-to-beat-out-original-ds-first-year-sales-land-killing-blow/

Huh, guess sales werent that bad.[/QUOTE]

Which is what many of us have been saying for months now... Hopefully now that this is actually getting out, the naysayers will find something else to move on to. Also, maybe now we can all finally put all the Virtual Boy comparisons to rest? :roll:

Also, didn't mean all of that as a direct response to you - just voicing my opinion on the matter.

man i own both zelda and a 3ds...oh well still going to get the zelda bundle. just give my old 3ds to my GF. you can transfer the ambassador program right?

[quote name='dorklance']man i own both zelda and a 3ds...oh well still going to get the zelda bundle. just give my old 3ds to my GF. you can transfer the ambassador program right?[/QUOTE]

not yet but eventually

[quote name='SuperPhillip']not yet but eventually[/QUOTE]
lol seems to be nintendos motto is the 3ds will do anything eventually.

[quote name='dorklance']lol seems to be nintendos motto is the 3ds will do anything eventually.[/QUOTE]

Lol, now I've totally got in my head a Nintendo commercial done like the PS3's.

Nintendo 3DS.
Augmented reality.
3DS to 3DS transfers.
QR codes.
Demos.
DLC.

It only will do everything.

[quote name='ZombieToast']That's what I've been trying to tell all of they naysayers. They go on and on about 3DS failing, but it has sold quite well. Considering that DS/DSi is still actively supported and people still love it and there still aren't a lot of new first-party games, I think the 3DS has been rather successful.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of things to take into consideration regarding sales. During the first year the DS was out, Nintendo released a ton of classic games for the budget-priced Game Boy Advance. The GBA was the go-to for the younger crowd due to the price difference. The DS didn't really take off until it got New Super Mario Bros. and other flagship games. I think the first year releases for the DS sucked whereas Ocarina of Time and Mario 3D Land are going to be pretty good sellers this holiday and beyond.

Right now the DS is still pretty close to the 3DS in price. Nintendo structured the pricing of the 3DS to take what would be value-based DSi sales.

Damn, that's a sweet Zelda 3DS.

I've barely put any time on my 3DS; I got in when Walmart sold them at the lower price during the Ambassador Program.

If I'd (eventually) be able to transfer that stuff over to a new one...

Come on, be realistic.

There is going to be an XL (or some non lite iteration) within 18 months or less. Battery life is terrible, the second stick is virtually guaranteed to be added on to the machine, lots of screen complaints in Japan and it's not exactly like Nintendo can just up and shrink a die process magically. Not to mention Nintendo's history of redesigns...

No doubt.. I just didn't get the sense he was talking about a nearly 3 year out(from launch) refresh.

Wasn't sure if I missed an announcement or something

[quote name='smoger']No doubt.. I just didn't get the sense he was talking about a nearly 3 year out(from launch) refresh.

Wasn't sure if I missed an announcement or something[/QUOTE]

It'd be stupid to announce it now. They'd lose tons of holiday sales.

[quote name='smoger']No doubt.. I just didn't get the sense he was talking about a nearly 3 year out(from launch) refresh.

Wasn't sure if I missed an announcement or something[/QUOTE]

No announcement... yet. It will happen eventually.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Come on, be realistic.

There is going to be an XL (or some non lite iteration) within 18 months or less. Battery life is terrible, the second stick is virtually guaranteed to be added on to the machine, lots of screen complaints in Japan and it's not exactly like Nintendo can just up and shrink a die process magically. Not to mention Nintendo's history of redesigns...[/QUOTE]

Exactly - I'm thinking they will release the system with the extra analog stick and improved battery life next year.

[quote name='elessar123']It'd be stupid to announce it now. They'd lose tons of holiday sales.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't expect anything to be announced this year but I do expect to start hearing rumors early next year. I expect Nintendo to follow the same pattern they used from GBA to GBASP (21 months; June 2001 to March 2003) and DS to DS Lite (19 months; November 2004 & June 2006). So most likely October/November 2012 which would be about 20 months from the 3DS launch. I can definitely wait - I'm up to my ass in backlog.

Speaking of Mario, man is that game great. I've played just about every Mario game ever released(haven't touched some of the sports-based games), and this is one of the better ones in recent years IMO. The Galaxy games are great, but for whatever reason they were never mind-blowingly good. It's almost as if, again - IMO, after SM64 came out Nintendo never really figured out how to make another stellar 3D Mario game. Sunshine was okay, Galaxy 1 & 2 are great, but they never really hit that sweet spot with me. NSMB was a lot of fun, and carried lots of nostalgic moments, but again just seemed a bit lacking somewhere to me. This one takes the best of both worlds, 2D & 3D Mario, and blends them together into something really special, with just the right amount of SMB3 mixed in. I think it's an instant Classic.

So, for those keeping score that want to compare their likes to mine, to me it goes:

Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario 64 > Super Mario 3D Land > Super Mario Galaxy

I agree with you on NSMB Wii but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is hands down the best 3D Mario game (3D Land excluded because I haven't played it yet). Seriously, SM64 was GREAT for its time (and is still pretty great today) but it can't hold a candle to the far superior in every conceivable way SMG2 (and SMG). Those are the facts.

I had really high expectations for SM3DL and it still managed to exceed them. I started to get a little worried as I approached the end of World 8, because I didn't want it to end so soon. Thankfully, in true Mario fashion, there's a ton of stuff to keep you busy even after "beating" the game. Actually, to me it feels like playing through Worlds 1-8 the first time is just an introduction to the game and the REAL fun is playing through the Special Worlds afterwards.

I've seen a few people commenting that this game is too short and too easy, but I doubt they have seen all the game has to offer if that's how they feel. Nintendo really knocked this one out of the park. The graphics are so polished and the controls are tight and precise. This will definitely keep me busy until Mario Kart 7 comes out.

[quote name='Javery']I agree with you on NSMB Wii but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is hands down the best 3D Mario game (3D Land excluded because I haven't played it yet). Seriously, SM64 was GREAT for its time (and is still pretty great today) but it can't hold a candle to the far superior in every conceivable way SMG2 (and SMG). Those are the facts.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I greatly enjoyed both of the Galaxy games, I just thought they didn't possess those "ahead of it's time" factors that SM64 did and both of the 2D mario games directly before it. This one may not quite possess those previously mentioned factors either, but it blends both classic & new Mario so perfectly that it gets higher marks for me. I think NSMB Wii was lacking b/c it's a bit too late to have a full-fledged 2D Mario game be the best of the best.

Also, the game really does get even better after you complete the main game. Just when you think it's over, it only gets better and better.

I think they will announce a redesign after the holidays like they did with announcing the GBA SP right after the holidays that one year, and we will have a redesign out by Holiday 2012. They could potentially announce it later though. The 3DS Zelda version is the one to get if you want your system to retain its value and potentially go up in value. As for me No Pokemon = No Sale, until a real Pokemon RPG and a redesign come out, I am gonna work on my backlog.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Not yet, but I think it has had its name registered for North America.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, hopefully we'll find out for sure soon.

[quote name='62t']I dont see any FF games not coming over unless it is on a dying system[/QUOTE]

Didn't stop Final Fantasy IV...

[quote name='Javery']yeah, I don't expect anything to be announced this year but I do expect to start hearing rumors early next year. I expect Nintendo to follow the same pattern they used from GBA to GBASP (21 months; June 2001 to March 2003) and DS to DS Lite (19 months; November 2004 & June 2006). So most likely October/November 2012 which would be about 20 months from the 3DS launch. I can definitely wait - I'm up to my ass in backlog.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo's FY reports come in at the end of April ever year IIRC. We won't hear so much as a peep until then but I'm guessing we will start to hear rumblings around that time next year.

[quote name='Mixer236']Oh, I greatly enjoyed both of the Galaxy games, I just thought they didn't possess those "ahead of it's time" factors that SM64 did and both of the 2D mario games directly before it.[/QUOTE]

I agree that nothing can repeat the pure bliss of playing SM64 for the first time back in 1996. It was like it came from the future or something. However, given the choice I would play SMG/SMG2 over SM64 every single time because they are much much much better games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Nintendo's FY reports come in at the end of April ever year IIRC. We won't hear so much as a peep until then but I'm guessing we will start to hear rumblings around that time next year.[/QUOTE]

Are they March 31 filers? I thought that was the case but I can't remember. I agree that they will hold off announcements until then so they can sell as many consoles as possible before they close the books on 2011.

I can't believe how nostalgic you guys get over Mario 64. The 2-D Mario games will always be superior. That's why Mario 3D Land has 2D Mario fan bait all over it.

Nah Mario 64 was the first time you'd be able to experience a 360 degree movement and jumping direction in a fully 3D space. The biggest reason that game was so successful was because of during the development Miyamoto made sure the game spaces were fun to run and jump around in due to using small prototype game rooms where he wanted to perfect and experiment with Mario's animations, physics and gameplay. In the final version Free-roaming gameplay was what they called it and although it wasn't an open ended sandbox world like GTA it was pretty big for a Mario title that previously had been tied to linear progression through the campaign. You could go through all the stars in the first World or immediately high tail it to the next world once it was unlocked, then come back and get challenging stars on your own pace and terms.

[quote name='willardhaven']I can't believe how nostalgic you guys get over Mario 64. The 2-D Mario games will always be superior. That's why Mario 3D Land has 2D Mario fan bait all over it.[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon, SMB3 & SMW I can see, but you really think SMB1 & 2 are better than SM64?

[quote name='Mixer236']Oh c'mon, SMB3 & SMW I can see, but you really think SMB1 & 2 are better than SM64?[/QUOTE]

One definitely is, especially the 16 bit version on Super Mario All-Stars. I definitely enjoyed and still enjoy Super Mario 64, but 2D Mario games will always be where he is at his best. This of course excludes Mario 2, but that isn't even a real Mario game.

[quote name='Mixer236']Oh c'mon, SMB3 & SMW I can see, but you really think SMB1 & 2 are better than SM64?[/QUOTE]

Hell. Yes.

Don't get me wrong; I like Mario 64, but it does not hold up.

[quote name='ebilcanival']One definitely is, especially the 16 bit version on Super Mario All-Stars. I definitely enjoyed and still enjoy Super Mario 64, but 2D Mario games will always be where he is at his best. This of course excludes Mario 2, but that isn't even a real Mario game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='willardhaven']Hell. Yes.

Don't get me wrong; I like Mario 64, but it does not hold up.[/QUOTE]

Hrm.

To each their own, I suppose. I was an 80's kid, grew up playing every Mario game in order(to completion I might add), and the original just bores me. I mean, I know at the time it was the greatest thing ever and it set the groundwork for Mario and platforming games in general. However, to this day, it's the only one that I can't play without becoming horribly bored. I know it's a great game. I know I enjoyed the hell out of it when I first got my hands on it. I know without it we may be without an entire genre of gaming, if not gaming altogether. But Mario has only gotten better since. I'm one of the minority that actually enjoyed SMB2, but after that I can say without a doubt that every other Mario game since is better(not counting spin-offs).

But yeah... That's the thing about opinions :argue:

Of course, if we want to include every game that has featured Mario, I think we can all agree that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is simply the best Mario game that ever has and will be released. Uh, right, guys...? ;)

bread's done
Back