Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Mixer236']Hrm.

To each their own, I suppose. I was an 80's kid, grew up playing every Mario game in order(to completion I might add), and the original just bores me. I mean, I know at the time it was the greatest thing ever and it set the groundwork for Mario and platforming games in general. However, to this day, it's the only one that I can't play without becoming horribly bored. I know it's a great game. I know I enjoyed the hell out of it when I first got my hands on it. I know without it we may be without an entire genre of gaming, if not gaming altogether. But Mario has only gotten better since. I'm one of the minority that actually enjoyed SMB2, but after that I can say without a doubt that every other Mario game since is better(not counting spin-offs).

But yeah... That's the thing about opinions :argue:

Of course, if we want to include every game that has featured Mario, I think we can all agree that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is simply the best Mario game that ever has and will be released. Uh, right, guys...? ;)[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that, I did enjoy SMB2, it just isn't a real Mario game, so I don't really count it as part of the series anymore.

Is Star Fox 64 3D worth getting? I love the original and the B1G1 40% off at Toys R Us is kind of tempting since I have a $17 GC at TRU I haven't used for almost 2 years.

Should I feel ashamed that I beat Super Mario 2 & 3, but never beat 1? :shame:

I've been playing with the other features of the 3DS including the streetpass games, and I got my first streetpass today!

[quote name='willardhaven']I can't believe how nostalgic you guys get over Mario 64. The 2-D Mario games will always be superior. That's why Mario 3D Land has 2D Mario fan bait all over it.[/QUOTE]

It's still the only 3D platformer / overhead camera game that did it right. The camer would get in the way, but it was easily fixable with a button press. Same for Zelda Ocarina of Time. Every other game I have played since, the camera irritates the hell out of me. Uncharted does okay, but that's about all I can say.

I know this has been discussed before, but I cant find the page for the life of me, but what battery extenders do CAGers prefer? Mario 3D Land has been putting a hurting on the 3DS

Bought Kirby's Adventure. It's Kirby's Adventure remade in 3D. Basically the backgrounds and such are now in 3D and it's an ok effect.

It's Kirby's Adventure. What else can I say.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bought Kirby's Adventure. It's Kirby's Adventure remade in 3D. Basically the backgrounds and such are now in 3D and it's an ok effect.

It's Kirby's Adventure. What else can I say.[/QUOTE]

I was interested and surprised when I saw that it was released last week. I wasn't sure how they could add 3D to this game in any meaningful way.

[quote name='icedrake523']Is Star Fox 64 3D worth getting? I love the original and the B1G1 40% off at Toys R Us is kind of tempting since I have a $17 GC at TRU I haven't used for almost 2 years.[/QUOTE]

You can beat it quickly but it's definitely worth $17. The multiple paths, score attack mode, and updated graphics make this the definitive version, and the levels are short enough that it functions well as a portable game. I got my 3DS used with Zelda, SF4, and Star Fox, and i think Star Fox is my favorite of the 3.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bought Kirby's Adventure. It's Kirby's Adventure remade in 3D. Basically the backgrounds and such are now in 3D and it's an ok effect.

It's Kirby's Adventure. What else can I say.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up too. It actually falls pretty low on the (paltry)list of 3D Classics for me. The 3D effect seems to be lacking in this one and something about the controls(maybe the 3DS button-layout?) really bugs me. Suppose I'll just stick to my GBA copy of Nightmare in Dreamland whenever I want to play this game. :shrugs:

going to throw something out there....

Can a 3DS do 3D with a bigger screen?

I thought I heard that TVs haven't went glassless because of the size, there's no way to get that sweet spot yet. Now shrink it down to the 3DS and it's now feasible.

Can they even do a 3DS XL?

I've had Devil Survivor for a few weeks now without a 3DS... and just finally bought one.

Now to pick up OOT and SM now.

[quote name='xycury']going to throw something out there....

Can a 3DS do 3D with a bigger screen?

I thought I heard that TVs haven't went glassless because of the size, there's no way to get that sweet spot yet. Now shrink it down to the 3DS and it's now feasible.

Can they even do a 3DS XL?

I've had Devil Survivor for a few weeks now without a 3DS... and just finally bought one.

Now to pick up OOT and SM now.[/QUOTE]

It can.

[quote name='willardhaven']Is the DSi out of production at this point? I noticed Amazon and Newegg stopped selling them.[/QUOTE]

DS Lite is out of production. DSi and XL are not.
Amazon is selling them, not sure what you mean.

It's the 3DS that Amazon isn't selling but for other, mysterious reasons.

Amazon has had some weird things going on with all Nintendo consoles for a while now... All Wii consoles have been out of stock for a few weeks now, too. I find that especially strange with Black Friday just around the corner, I wonder what is going on?

Maybe it's due to new bundles, maybe it's some conspiracy and they aren't friends anymore :roll::roll:

Is the Zelda fancy 3ds BB/Gamestop only or are other retailers getting it?

[quote name='coren']Maybe it's due to new bundles, maybe it's some conspiracy and they aren't friends anymore :roll::roll:

Is the Zelda fancy 3ds BB/Gamestop only or are other retailers getting it?[/QUOTE]

So far BB & Gamestop are the only ones confirmed(I think), but time will tell... Honestly, I'd be surprised if everyone doesn't end up with them. Whether Amazon ends up with anything is an entirely different story, however.

Wasnt that some hubbub a while back about some sort of cosmetic issue that some people were having with their 3DS? Something like paint coming off or something? Was this an isolated incident or like a real thing? Subsequently, has it been fixed?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wasnt that some hubbub a while back about some sort of cosmetic issue that some people were having with their 3DS? Something like paint coming off or something? Was this an isolated incident or like a real thing? Subsequently, has it been fixed?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was how tight the top presses down on the d-pad and marking up the top screen.

I don't think they have fixed it. I'm going to add a couple of rubber bumpers.

[quote name='omster']Pushmo is coming out next month on the eShop. Anyone else following? For me, it was love at first sight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHRtov0ooM[/QUOTE]

YES! I hadn't really read into it much until I saw the preview on the eShop yesterday. Definitely impressed and looking forward to it. Really, all 3 of the original titles they have lined up(that are also listed in that same preview section) looked really good to me. Maybe the eShop could finally be hitting it's stride, as far as new content coming out? Now, if we could only get them to RELEASE MORE THAN ONE TITLE A WEEK! :roll:

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wasnt that some hubbub a while back about some sort of cosmetic issue that some people were having with their 3DS? Something like paint coming off or something? Was this an isolated incident or like a real thing? Subsequently, has it been fixed?[/QUOTE]

I assumed it was people being super-picky about their 3DS' and constantly returning them to Amazon and thus Amazon decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

Which sucks because eventually I'd like one with no sales tax and some random Amazon offer.

[quote name='Halo05']I assumed it was people being super-picky about their 3DS' and constantly returning them to Amazon and thus Amazon decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

Which sucks because eventually I'd like one with no sales tax and some random Amazon offer.[/QUOTE]

You're sorta spot on there. The issue was the little rubber bumpers not being quite big enough to properly separate the two screens while the system was closed, thusly causing some scratches/light chipping on the upper screen. Now, it's a definitely a design problem on Nintendo's part, but one that's very easily remedied. It started happening on mine, but once I slapped a screen protector up there(as anyone ever should have done in the first place) the problem was eliminated. It's now a non-issue, and I use my 3DS every day - on average of 1-3 hours per day. I also take it with me everywhere, so it spends a lot of time in my pocket and in my fiancee's purse. It's really as simple as that. Yes, the problem shouldn't have been there in the first place, but really if people would use some common sense and spend an extra $6 for a set of nice screen protectors(which I don't think is a big deal as nearly everyone has them on their iPods and phones now) there would have been a lot less headaches for all parties involved.

There was also a small issue with some "loose hinges" but I think that was blown way out of proportion. I'm beginning to wonder if Amazon is ever gonna stock Nintendo consoles again... Haven't seen any in at least 3 weeks.

[quote name='Mixer236']You're sorta spot on there. The issue was the little rubber bumpers not being quite big enough to properly separate the two screens while the system was closed, thusly causing some scratches/light chipping on the upper screen. Now, it's a definitely a design problem on Nintendo's part, but one that's very easily remedied. It started happening on mine, but once I slapped a screen protector up there(as anyone ever should have done in the first place) the problem was eliminated. It's now a non-issue, and I use my 3DS every day - on average of 1-3 hours per day. I also take it with me everywhere, so it spends a lot of time in my pocket and in my fiancee's purse. It's really as simple as that. Yes, the problem shouldn't have been there in the first place, but really if people would use some common sense and spend an extra $6 for a set of nice screen protectors(which I don't think is a big deal as nearly everyone has them on their iPods and phones now) there would have been a lot less headaches for all parties involved.

There was also a small issue with some "loose hinges" but I think that was blown way out of proportion. I'm beginning to wonder if Amazon is ever gonna stock Nintendo consoles again... Haven't seen any in at least 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

The DSi and DSi XL had the loose hinge issue to, they've had similar problems as the DS, probably because they're manufactured similarly and Nintendo didn't want to change that. It's possible that Amazon has had an incredible amount of returns on the DSi, DSi XL (and maybe DS lites too) that they decided it wouldn't be very profitable with the percentage of returns they're getting. That would explain why they don't seem to be selling DS or 3DS handhelds anymore.

IMO it's a good thing, maybe Nintendo will notice and up their quality control in the manufacturing process.

[quote name='sunghost']The DSi and DSi XL had the loose hinge issue to, they've had similar problems as the DS, probably because they're manufactured similarly and Nintendo didn't want to change that. It's possible that Amazon has had an incredible amount of returns on the DSi, DSi XL (and maybe DS lites too) that they decided it wouldn't be very profitable with the percentage of returns they're getting. That would explain why they don't seem to be selling DS or 3DS handhelds anymore.

IMO it's a good thing, maybe Nintendo will notice and up their quality control in the manufacturing process.[/QUOTE]

Could be, but they even stopped selling the Wii about a month ago... It's almost as if they've up and decided to quit selling all Nintendo hardware.

The 3DS in the zelda bundle is just gorgeous. I was very, very tempted to pick one up recently.

I'm in the middle of an expensive move, though, so I opted to not. Hopefully, it'll stick around for a month or two and I can get it later on.

[quote name='BattleChicken']The 3DS in the zelda bundle is just gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought, so I bought one. :D

It was either a 3DS or a PS3 this year. I already have a bunch of DS games and zero PS3 games. And screw Blu Ray; I have a movie player known as a "laptop" that is more portable than that crap. I don't need my gaming systems to do everything.

[quote name='Mixer236']YES! I hadn't really read into it much until I saw the preview on the eShop yesterday. Definitely impressed and looking forward to it. Really, all 3 of the original titles they have lined up(that are also listed in that same preview section) looked really good to me. Maybe the eShop could finally be hitting it's stride, as far as new content coming out? Now, if we could only get them to RELEASE MORE THAN ONE TITLE A WEEK! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Didn't know there was a eShop trailer. I'm pleased to see how the 3D adds to this game's presentation. I can say, I'm very excited for this puzzler.

Speaking of the eShop, Mutant Mudds and VVVVV will also be released in next month.

The frame around the bottom screen leaves marks on the top screen since there's nothing to separate the two even a little bit. A little bit of rubber on the top and bottom parts of that frame would've helped to give it some space.

My 3DS shows the marks on the top screen. I dont like it but onces it becomes marked where its very noticeable I'm sure nintendos warranty can take care of it. I am wondering if I do that would I be able to re-download my purchase eshop/3ds content.

I still leave the foam-like insert that was between them when I first got it any time the system is closed. Seems to be working so far.

Mario 3DS Land is fantastic by the way. While I prefer exploration-based Marios (64, Sunshine) this is a brilliant game in its own right.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I still leave the foam-like insert that was between them when I first got it any time the system is closed. Seems to be working so far.

Mario 3DS Land is fantastic by the way. While I prefer exploration-based Marios (64, Sunshine) this is a brilliant game in its own right.[/QUOTE]

There were still smudge smarks when I left the foam-like insert between the screens for my first 3DS, don't know if it would end up scratched because I didn't own it for long. The first one I owned had a wobbly top screen (which is very common), and tiny pinholes in the screen which got annoying in 3D mode as they were very noticeable.

Bought a Zelda 3DS the other day.. and the only thing I can really complain about is the extremely limited "sweet spot" and 3D ghosting even when I'm in the sweet spot.. but I'm pretty sure my first one was like that as well. I don't know if it's my poor eyesight that causes the ghosting or if it's just the technology itself. My Zelda 3DS has a very tight hinge, no wobbling, and no pinholes in the top screen.

I got the Zelda 3DS. Last one at Best Buy at like 2 in the afternoon on Friday, so I was like *sigh* gotta get.

Unsure if I'll try to sell my other 3DS. If I do, will I ever get my ambassador games back?

EDIT: Does the Zelda 3DS fix the issues the previous 3DS had, the whole thing of screens smashing against each other?

I've had a 3DS since day one and am baffled by the screen 'smashing' issues. Is this a widespread problem? Mine's gotten heavy use on a daily basis, which also involves being jammed in my briefcase for close to 8 hours a day. I've never had any markings on the top screen that can't just be wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

Weird.

[quote name='007']I've had a 3DS since day one and am baffled by the screen 'smashing' issues. Is this a widespread problem? Mine's gotten heavy use on a daily basis, which also involves being jammed in my briefcase for close to 8 hours a day. I've never had any markings on the top screen that can't just be wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

Weird.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I get weird little imprints from the circle pad and bottom screen, but it just wipes right off.

[quote name='007']I've had a 3DS since day one and am baffled by the screen 'smashing' issues. Is this a widespread problem? Mine's gotten heavy use on a daily basis, which also involves being jammed in my briefcase for close to 8 hours a day. I've never had any markings on the top screen that can't just be wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

Weird.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's widespread. It really shouldn't be making any smudges to begin with.. the fact that the screen is making contact with the bottom half of the 3DS is a problem. It could develop scratches over time. Of course, some have it a lot worse than others. It might have to do with how much pressure people are applying to the 3DS when it's closed, but I don't know why some have scratches and some merely have smudges that can be wiped off.

I didn't realize screen scratching was such a problem.

I just bought a 3DS this weekend, and I also got a screen protector for it, and I'm going to make sure to keep the foam insert that comes with it to put between the screens when its closed.

Other than that, I'm glad I waited to buy one...I almost bought one at launch. This years Black Friday sales were excellent!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Someone told me the update for 3ds to 3ds transfers is coming on the 30th. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Well, Nintendo promised an update in November.
Seeing how the 30th is the last day of the month, that may just be wishful thinking, as it could always be delayed.

I managed to get and complete my 5th Puzzle over the weekend, New Super Mario Bros. It seems like stores have now opened up their units so people can access stuff like the Mii Plaza on Demo Units, so hopefully that means some kind of countrywide mandate occurred to promote some kind of community interaction with demo units. I still need the Zelda and Kirby Puzzles before the new ones hit though.

Downloaded Metroid 2, and apparently that game took place in the year 2000. Me thinks an update is in order. Also started playing SM3DL, and to be honest, I have a hard time telling the 3D is on even at full blast. It feels completely comfortable with no eye strain.

[quote name='KingBroly']Downloaded Metroid 2, and apparently that game took place in the year 2000. Me thinks an update is in order.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I've had a Power Suit for, like, 12 years...

bread's done
Back