Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='ZForce915']So it's still not as good as the GBC/GBA versions? Boo![/QUOTE]
From what I saw, it only has tournaments, exhibition, multiplayer, and a few mini-game modes.

Not exactly sure where this goes but Gamestop in bloomsburg 17815 had marked down the 3ds for 129.99 new same at the selinsgrove 17870 location

[quote name='007']Uh... or yesterday. [/QUOTE]

Ah, right...forgot about Nintendo's weird release calendar.

Thanks for the mini-review. Think I'll wait for a deal on it.

[quote name='007']As someone who played the DEMO, mind you, of Virtua Tennis for the Dreamcast more than I played some of my actual Dreamcast games, a nice intermittent 10-minute distraction tennis game is right up my alley. [/QUOTE]

Kefeldnakof (no idea how to spell it) for the fucking win! But that point just proves that it's not worth it for me at 40 bucks. A demo I got for free with the system (or maybe from the official mag) was all the Virtua Tennis I needed. Without any kind of RPG mode or other deep mode (though the Mario Bros. minigame looks cool), this game just won't hold my interest long enough to warrant 40 bucks.

Will def. pick it up on sale at some point though.

Update for Mighty Switch Force is on the eShop. While digging around on there, I realized - did I somehow miss that there was a title update for the remaining NES Ambassador games? In my DL list I see available updates for:

Zelda
Zelda 2
Wrecking Crew
NES Open
DK Jr
Balloon Fight
Yoshi
Ice Climbers

I thought they were only updated as they were released concurrently for sale in the VC. Behold, they're all updated in your download history.

There's also an update for Netflix and Pushmo.

EDIT: Nevermind, although Zelda and the others downloaded what looked like an update, there's no discernible difference in the icons or the save state functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']They're not big updates though. they don't add any functionality.[/QUOTE]

Which is probably why it wasn't publicized. I noticed it about a month ago and was going to rush on here to mention it, but after updating a few I noticed that it basically changed nothing. So yeah, we're still waiting on the "real" update.

Target.com has Mario Tennis Open for $10 off with free shipping.

It's a lot of fun but it's basically a rhythm/color-matching game. Online multiplayer gets hectic and there are a ton of unlockables.

If anyone else is playing please add me: 3737-9532-0909

[quote name='RabbitSuit']For the unlockables in Mario Tennis, you can instantly unlock (at least) three of the different Yoshis with QR codes. Depending on your region, you can actually unlock different ones too.

http://mariotennisopen.nintendo.com/#/codes

The UK gets both the White and Black Yoshi characters. Only Nintendo would make region locked QR codes.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks for the info. I'll check 'em out.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm not really a fan of purple anything, but I really like the way it looks.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this is a really great looking Purple. Not so boring as the Game Cube. I see Nintendo has tweaked the 3DS a bit (trigger buttons feel better, no creaky hinge).

[quote name='bmachine']Target.com has Mario Tennis Open for $10 off with free shipping.

It's a lot of fun but it's basically a rhythm/color-matching game. Online multiplayer gets hectic and there are a ton of unlockables.

If anyone else is playing please add me: 3737-9532-0909[/QUOTE]

Ordered my copy for $30. Hope it's decent enough.

After playing the Rayman demo, I can honestly say that in the 3DS redesign(whenever it happens) I would much rather have a larger screen than second circle pad. The current screen is too small for most of the games I'm playing on this thing. I can't help but feel that I would enjoy playing Zelda, the NES ambassador games, Rayman, RE, ect so much more with a 4"-4.5" screen

Most definitely. After spending so much time with the XL it was a bit awkward to switch to the 3DS (while I still had one). All signs point to a redesign in 2013 even though I was hoping for a drop this year. Hopefully we'll get an XL with a second pad and get the best of both worlds.

Can we get a god damn top-down Zelda with like 8-12 dungeons, a huge overworld and lots of fun and relevant side quests, please? The last 3 portable games in the series have been so bad (by Zelda standards - still OK games). I'll even accept a remake of OoS, OoA, LA or even LttP. Anything. Please.

Either that or give us Majora's Mask already FFS.

[quote name='Javery']Can we get a god damn top-down Zelda with like 8-12 dungeons, a huge overworld and lots of fun and relevant side quests, please? The last 3 portable games in the series have been so bad (by Zelda standards - still OK games). I'll even accept a remake of OoS, OoA, LA or even LttP. Anything. Please.

Either that or give us Majora's Mask already FFS.[/QUOTE]

Last 3? I'm sure mean Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, but what's #3? If you mean Minish Cap, I freaking loved that game.

[quote name='johnnypark']Last 3? I'm sure mean Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, but what's #3? If you mean Minish Cap, I freaking loved that game.[/QUOTE]

Minish Cap was not that good compared to the 3 handheld games that came before it, IMO. The overworld was really small and it only had 5 or 6 (really, really, really easy) dungeons. The figurine collection was OK but still annoying since it was left to chance and the kinstones were also sort of neat but I just didn't think that overall it measured up. I don't know. Personal preference I guess.

[quote name='Javery']Minish Cap was not that good compared to the 3 handheld games that came before it, IMO. The overworld was really small and it only had 5 or 6 (really, really, really easy) dungeons. The figurine collection was OK but still annoying since it was left to chance and the kinstones were also sort of neat but I just didn't think that overall it measured up. I don't know. Personal preference I guess.[/QUOTE]

I never played the Oracle games (PLEASE let them make it onto the eShop!), but Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda ever. I'll agree that Minish Cap doesn't measure up to it.

To be fair, though, Spirit Tracks makes Minish Cap look like LttP.

Go play the Oracle games right now by any means necessary. They are so so so great. Seriously - maybe as good as Link's Awakening or just off by a hair. They are up there for me in terms of best games in the entire Zelda series (not just handheld).

I totally agree that Spirit Tracks makes Minish Cap look like LttP. Minish Cap is WAY better than the last two DS games.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']After playing the Rayman demo, I can honestly say that in the 3DS redesign(whenever it happens) I would much rather have a larger screen than second circle pad. The current screen is too small for most of the games I'm playing on this thing. I can't help but feel that I would enjoy playing Zelda, the NES ambassador games, Rayman, RE, ect so much more with a 4"-4.5" screen[/QUOTE]

The last boss in Snake eater was frustrating as crap because of the screen

[quote name='Javery']Can we get a god damn top-down Zelda with like 8-12 dungeons, a huge overworld and lots of fun and relevant side quests, please? The last 3 portable games in the series have been so bad (by Zelda standards - still OK games). I'll even accept a remake of OoS, OoA, LA or even LttP. Anything. Please.

Either that or give us Majora's Mask already FFS.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Miyamoto say something about returning to LttP or the LttP ideas? I could have sworn he said something about that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't get the hate for Minish Cap. I've been playing that a bit since I got it for free and it's really good.[/QUOTE]

If it supported sleep mode id be playing thru it again, but my portable gaming is too stop-and-start to not have sleep or save states. Oh well.

Miyamoto DID say he'd like to revisit LttP even if it was just a 3D remake, here's hopong E3 has some news to back up those statements.

[quote name='Javery']Go play the Oracle games right now by any means necessary. They are so so so great. Seriously - maybe as good as Link's Awakening or just off by a hair. They are up there for me in terms of best games in the entire Zelda series (not just handheld).

I totally agree that Spirit Tracks makes Minish Cap look like LttP. Minish Cap is WAY better than the last two DS games.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the Oracle games were rubbish...the fetch quests were absolutely convoluted and asinine. I thought Link's Awakening was much better in every conceivable way. Not sure on the hate for Minish Cap though that game was a lot of fun...and it actually felt different to me for a Zelda game. It was a bit on the easy side though. Then again I love Zelda II and everyone hates that so go figure.

[quote name='johnnypark']If it supported sleep mode id be playing thru it again, but my portable gaming is too stop-and-start to not have sleep or save states. Oh well.

Miyamoto DID say he'd like to revisit LttP even if it was just a 3D remake, here's hopong E3 has some news to back up those statements.[/QUOTE]
It does have the ability to save, so that shouldn't be a reason to not play it.

Oh man I didn't even know there was hate for Minish Cap. Haven't played it in forever but I loved it when it came out. Just let Capcom keep making the portable Zeldas. The 3DS Zeldas were rubbish in comparison (well, PH wasn't as good, and ST was absolute garbage imho).

I agree with those hoping for 3DS Majora's, 3D remake of LttP, and a new top down 3DS Zelda (sans stylus controls).

Seriously, ST was my least favorite Zelda game ever until Skyward Sword, and now it's tied with that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It does have the ability to save, so that shouldn't be a reason to not play it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know it does, and I played the original on GBA with it's save system. I'm just spoiled by being able to put a game down at literally any point via sleep mode without having to boot up through the title screen, etc. Being able to do that with basically other other DS/3DS games makes it hard for me to play a game that doesn't.

You're right, though, it's just a personal gripe for me.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Rumors of a possible new 3DS design coming soon:

http://kotaku.com/5914495/is-nintendo-planning-to-announce-a-new-model-3ds[/QUOTE]

I just checked Amazon.com and there are no units in stock via Amazon either, all third party sellers who are selling them for 20 dollars higher than what a 3DS costs at retail. But hasn't Amazon.com not had them in stock for a while now? Or was that for a short period of time?

Would you folks recommend Tales of the Abyss or Overlocked more? Looking to grab one of them at this time.

[quote name='jello44']I just checked Amazon.com and there are no units in stock via Amazon either, all third party sellers who are selling them for 20 dollars higher than what a 3DS costs at retail. But hasn't Amazon.com not had them in stock for a while now? Or was that for a short period of time?[/QUOTE]

They haven't stocked any since December.

[quote name='Strell']Is that a vibrating stylus in your pocket?[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome idea. It'll be like the rumble pack for the N64.

Although I'd hate to use one and have it mess up my cursor on something like Kid Icarus.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Would you folks recommend Tales of the Abyss or Overlocked more? Looking to grab one of them at this time.[/quote]

Overclocked if you like SRPGs with turn based combat. ToA if you want an Action JRPG. I haven't played much of ToA, but Devil Survivor is great. Overclocked is supposed to be better from what I heard, it has full voice acting, more save slots and an epilogue 8th day that the original did not have.

They haven't stocked any since December.

That's what I had thought.

Sounds good. I'll go with Overclocked then.

I added a bunch of Mii characters, but frankly, I have no idea what they do either.
Here are special Mii characters (gold pants), offically released by Nintendo for promotions.

800016_1aejj.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']why'd you buy a system a week ahead of E3?

Glutton for punishment?[/QUOTE]

couldnt pass up the price

Dude got it in FEB 2012 So under warranty till may 2013 (with 3 month add on)
comes with
Tales of the abyss 3ds
world ends with you
Chrono trigger

for 130 shipped

Figure can dump world and trigger for 30 knock system down to 100... I would pay 20 to 25 for abyss
knocking the system down to 75 to 80....

I also have a dsi xl i got at best buy july 2010 that is about shot that i got the 2 year warranty on it and its having some problems andi have have around 120 bucks in downloads on it...
they have to give a gift card at the price i paid for it 169.99 since i got the 49.99 Gift card replacement warranty (so even if i get another xl for 129 i will still have 40 left)

so if everything works out i figured i paid like 40 to 50 out of pocket for a 3ds ...... and thought couldnt pass that up.

[quote name='slidecage']figures i get one off ebay and they come out with a new FREAKING SYSTEM

though if the basic 3ds stays at 169. I can see the 3ds Xl going for 249.99 (COUGH COUGH same price as a vita)[/QUOTE]

That's Kotaku. They just want views.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I hope they come up with a 3DS XL. I actually need those larger buttons.[/QUOTE]

same...3DS's button layout is too cramped for me to play for long gaming sessions. After trade in, if I have to spend more than a $100 I don't think I'll bite unless there is something to make it worth it. My 3ds is mint, I'd likely have to get a new case, and a bigger screen and more comfortable layout is kinda useless if I'm not playing it much at all.

I'm disappointed at no dates for Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Luigi's Manion 2, Fire Emblem, or the new Professor Layton, though I'm hoping the million other Nintendo events has more info about them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm disappointed at no dates for Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Luigi's Manion 2, Fire Emblem, or the new Professor Layton, though I'm hoping the million other Nintendo events has more info about them.[/QUOTE]

i say they never see the light of day.. i think they been promissed day 1 and thats been what 18 months and still nothing.

SO was there any news on the 3DS XL or not

bread's done
Back