Nintendo brand GCN controllers: $9.99 @ Toys'Rus B&M (YMMV)

Alien Spider

CAGiversary!
Actually when I got to the register they tried to charge me $24.99, but the sign over the controllers clearly said "Black Nintendo GameCube Controllers- $9.99." So, after a couple of minutes and some verifications with the people who work in the game department, I came out of there with 3 Nintendo brand black controllers.

The sign said the sale last until 06/05/04. It looked like an official sign, not something someone just printed off from Word. Anyway, I was totally shocked when I found them.

Hopefully you all will have some luck as well!

It was for the G Force black controller, not the official ones. You my friend got really really lucky.

Hmmm...so i guess its a YMMV on the capabilities of your checkout clerk, not unlike the Best Buy PM + GGC way. Still, I will have to check it out later.

Haha I feel sorry for the TRU employees. They got hoodwinked and just sold you $90 in controllers for only $30.

Integrity check guys. If the advertisement is for the G Force controller, then there is no reason that the official controller should be sold for the $10 price. This is not YMMV, it's deception. Let's get some real deals going again.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Integrity check guys. If the advertisement is for the G Force controller, then there is no reason that the official controller should be sold for the $10 price. This is not YMMV, it's deception. Let's get some real deals going again.[/quote]
Yup

It's not really deception on his part cuz he really thought they were for the nintendo brand controllers, now if anyone that read this thread were to attempt to pull the same trick that'd be deception. Really it's just foolishness on the part of the employee that sold them to him as well as put up the sign so it could be mistaken as a sale on the GC controllers as well.

if the store fucks up, its their fault.

no one should be going in to tru and demanding officials for 10, but if u see them for 10...score

Now that we have uncovered the error, let's close this thread or change the title of it.

We don't want to mislead other CAGs.

[quote name='Dazz']It was for the G Force black controller, not the official ones. You my friend got really really lucky.[/quote]

How are you sure this might be a new deal.

well even if it was an originally misleading post, there still is a controller on sale out there, v just need to change the title. i do need a new gcn controller since my last ones' vibration function is no longer....functioning.

I'm sorry guys, I guess I misinterpreted what 'YMMV' met. I just thought it meant "I found this deal, but you may not." Again, I appologize.

And hey, it's not my fault. I saw the sign hanging right over at least 6 different official GCN controllers. I asked the guy working over there twice if they were marked correctly. Finally, he said, "they're black, right?" I said, "...yep. Ok, thanks." I took it up to the register, it came up $24.99, I politely told the clerk what they guy over there said, she called him, he ok'd it, and I got my controllers.

I mean, besides me, what would another reasonable person (like say, a parent looking for GCN accessories) think? The controllers are black (ALL OF THEM), the sign blantantly says " Black GCN controllers- $9.99". It's an open and shut case.

I just wanted it said that I truly thought this was an honest deal/YMMV/whatever. There was no deception on my part, I only bought what I thought was a legitimate sale. It said NOWHERE on the sign what kind of controller, only "Black" and "GCN" which was what was hanging right underneath the sign.

Again, I appologize for misusing the term 'YMMV' (if someone would explain it to me I would appreciate it) and for any unintended "deception" on my part to my fellow CAG members.

*whew* I think I'll stick with posting Target clearance items from now on. ^_^

[quote name='Alien Spider']lol, not everyone, true. Still, I am sorry for unintentional misleading.

I guess it comes with being a n00b. :)[/quote]

I dont think so, I mean you never said check out this scam or whatever. You did what I would have done. You saw a sign and asked, this is in no way a scam at all. The only problem I have is that you bought 3, but said there was 6 there!

Thanks. :)

Well, I bought 3 because I figured I might as well buy one for each of my niece and nephews when they come over so we can play together and not take turns. That was pretty greedy, but its no worse than some of the things I've seen (like when I collected SW figures for that brief period...yikes.).

'Doh! >_<

lol, I guess so. Ah well, as long as my kid nephew don't screw this one up too (3rd party controllers...blech), I should be fine. :p

Alien Spider, you're cool... no one is really mad at you. We just don't want other CAGers going into TRU and demanding controllers for $10 b/c they saw it on this site. You found a hole in the system, and the TRU clerks went along with you. Most of us here try to keep some level of honesty in dealings with others. Just ask around about Cloudspekk to find out what I mean...

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Integrity check guys. If the advertisement is for the G Force controller, then there is no reason that the official controller should be sold for the $10 price. This is not YMMV, it's deception. Let's get some real deals going again.[/quote]

They put a sign out there that did not have "G Force" specified. Therefore, any "Black" Gamecube controller is $9.99. You my friend are incorrect, it is YMMV.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Alien Spider, you're cool... no one is really mad at you. We just don't want other CAGers going into TRU and demanding controllers for $10 b/c they saw it on this site. You found a hole in the system, and the TRU clerks went along with you. Most of us here try to keep some level of honesty in dealings with others. Just ask around about Cloudspekk to find out what I mean...[/quote]

If Toys R Us has that sign out, anyone *ANYONE* regardless of whether they go to this site or not is going to ask what controllers are on sale. Again, the sign does not specify what is on sale, therefore any controller could be part of the promotion.

[quote name='outkastx'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']Alien Spider, you're cool... no one is really mad at you. We just don't want other CAGers going into TRU and demanding controllers for $10 b/c they saw it on this site. You found a hole in the system, and the TRU clerks went along with you. Most of us here try to keep some level of honesty in dealings with others. Just ask around about Cloudspekk to find out what I mean...[/quote]

If Toys R Us has that sign out, anyone *ANYONE* regardless of whether they go to this site or not is going to ask what controllers are on sale. Again, the sign does not specify what is on sale, therefore any controller could be part of the promotion.[/quote]
I stand before you humbled, and I see your viewpoint. I can see how this deal seems legit, but I do not think that it should be 'advertised' on CAG.

[quote name='outkastx'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']Integrity check guys. If the advertisement is for the G Force controller, then there is no reason that the official controller should be sold for the $10 price. This is not YMMV, it's deception. Let's get some real deals going again.[/quote]

They put a sign out there that did not have "G Force" specified. Therefore, any "Black" Gamecube controller is $9.99. You my friend are incorrect, it is YMMV.[/quote]
If you want to call it YMMV, outcastx, I propose a small change. You should label it YCMV for your CLERK may vary. My defense is here for the job security of the clerks. Whoever rang up these controllers for $10 had their name logged into the system when he or she changed the price. I have been a clerk before, and sometimes happenings like this one come back to haunt you, in the form of paycheck deduction. The clerk may have 'verified' it with the manager on duty at the time, but the store manager, now there's a different beast.

Actually, depending on store, this could be completely legit (Breaks into Mc Hammer song). Prviously there was a "deal" that had Official Nintendo Mem cards ringing up at a great price. Its a basic substitution on thier part. They cant give you a crappier product, but they can give you the next best thing.

This is standard the Employees screwed up. It's not the customers fault.

Enjoy the deal. I would have bought some if I had seen the sign. I also would have argued with management about it. If they can't put things in the right place and have clearly labeled signs it's their own fault.

[quote name='Indiana']This is standard the Employees screwed up. It's not the customers fault.

Enjoy the deal. I would have bought some if I had seen the sign. I also would have argued with management about it. If they can't put things in the right place and have clearly labeled signs it's their own fault.[/quote]
ah, yes. False advertising=bad business practices, but the job was probably some stockboy's last assignment for the night. Mislabeled merchandising prices must be upheld... so Alien Spider did alright for the situation he was in.

Thanks guys. And I did ask the guy a second time, which was when he replied "They're black, right?" Still, I hate to think I could have gotten the clerk in trouble though. And this was at the Toys'R'us in Clarksville, IN and it was actually around 5pm when I bought the controllers. He guy could have been going off shift, but I really think that particular store just doesn't hire enough people, because I seen him later stocking merchandise in a totally different department.

Another interesting fact: the only official Nintendo controllers on the shelves were all indeed black. I didn't see any other color controllers. So maybe they had a surplus of black ones and were trying to get rid of them?

Anyway, if the sign had said a specific black controller other than the black official ones, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I actually don't remember seeing any Gforce controllers, but I was so happy to have seen the sign, I can't say I looked all that hard.

Anyway, again, I'm sorry for all the fuss. Like I said, I thought this sale was legitmate. And maybe it is, but only for the TRU in Clarksville.

Thanks for understanding guys. :)

[quote name='Alien Spider']Thanks guys. And I did ask the guy a second time, which was when he replied "They're black, right?" Still, I hate to think I could have gotten the clerk in trouble though. And this was at the Toys'R'us in Clarksville, IN and it was actually around 5pm when I bought the controllers. He guy could have been going off shift, but I really think that particular store just doesn't hire enough people, because I seen him later stocking merchandise in a totally different department.

Another interesting fact: the only official Nintendo controllers on the shelves were all indeed black. I didn't see any other color controllers. So maybe they had a surplus of black ones and were trying to get rid of them?

Anyway, if the sign had said a specific black controller other than the black official ones, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I actually don't remember seeing any Gforce controllers, but I was so happy to have seen the sign, I can't say I looked all that hard.

Anyway, again, I'm sorry for all the fuss. Like I said, I thought this sale was legitmate. And maybe it is, but only for the TRU in Clarksville.

Thanks for understanding guys. :)[/quote]

I still think it is. Target had a surplus of those spice controllers for 14.99 because of surplus

[quote name='BigNick']I meant you should have bought all six![/quote]

LMAO, i thought you were saying he should buy one and leave the rest for some of us other cheapasses. Just for the record, what is the controller that is on sale? Is the Gforce controller any good? If toys r us closes at 9pm i may have to head over later today, I need a second controller, and while I genereally like 1st party, I sometimes cheap out and get a decent 3rd party controller(if it is on sale for super cheap heh)

I took a look at those signs today while I was at work. The original poster just lucked out and got a couple of morons. The large print on the sign says something to the effect of "Black Gamecube controller" all right. But then, you have "Intec" in the corner where the distributor should be, the product number at the bottom, and the original price of $14.99 along with it (which doesn't match the original price of Nintendo brand controllers at $24.99). That's also why we keep third-party accessories in an entirely seperate section from first-party.

I'm glad the original poster got the Nintendo brand controllers at that price. The store he went to was slack and careless, and deserved that mess. ::spit::

-Hoshi

Other stupid things TRU does, if anyone is good at bitching:

Often times, one game in a series will go on sale while another won't. Like recently, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was on sale. But, the sale sign only said "The Lord of the Rings." Anyone particularly rowdy could've contested that signage and gotten Return of the King for the sale price of The Two Towers.

I work for TRU and all, but I flat-out encourage people to screw them over when they're slack about specifying sale items. Maybe they'll specify the sale item better in their future ad signage, and reduce the number of customers I get with selective reading issues. :)

-Hoshi

Really? If I had seen all of that other information, I wouldn't have even asked! Man, I guess it was a mistake then. But I didn't even see any other GCN controllers besides the official ones, much less these G-force ones. I'm sure I didn't zone out that bad.

hoshi mentioned that his TRU keeps all "third-party accessories in an entirely seperate section from first-party." Maybe the TRU I went to did too, but put the sign in the wrong spot? It would make sense then why I saw no other controllers besides the official ones.

But then why were all the official controllers black? Man, that's totally misleading.

$10 for a third party controller is still pretty good but I just got a pelican gamecube controller for $5.00 at Radioshack after the $5.00 off anything coupon. =)

my TRU has those "9.99 black gamecube controller sale tags" under 3 hooks of controllers. 3 hooks of Official Gamecube controllers. so whatever.

bread's done
Back