Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

kaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I know, it's a little early to tell, but which one do you think you'll buy?

The Nintendo DS:

3d_DS_4pix_small.jpg

Or the Sony PSP:

e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-200405110131751_thumb.jpg

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']both. in this order:

if paper mario port - ds
if SOTN port - psp

whichever has rez 2 - that.

rez 2 is the deciding factor for me.[/quote]

Yeah. Could you imagine Rez using a stylus? I could think of a lot of interesting things to do with that.

Not to mention they probably overpriced it on their site.

Oh and IF pice is not a concern then I'd go with PSP. but the DS looks more wallet friendly and has those Mario games.

I think they both are shaping up totally awesome so far and at this point I'd buy both at launch. Nintendo dropped bomb after bomb as far as DS titles are concerned. The new Warioware game for the DS is reason enough alone for me to buy, but then you've got your Mario Kart, your mysterious sidescrolling Mario game, your Metroid Prime Hunter, and the games keep rolling in. And thank god they chose a SNES 6 button layout instead of a measley 4 for the GBA. I'm sure the PSP will have some big titles announced soon enough. Either way the next year or so will be the biggest leap in portable gaming of all time.

I'll probably buy the PSP just for the hell of it. The PSP is supposed to have a bit more functionality than just a game system, right? I need a PDA type dealie.

I wont be getting either. Im beyond sick of handheld gaming.

Do people really have tons of free time away from home to play these things? All my free time is at home or being used up away from home in a place where theres no time to play games.

Id much rather developers spend thier time on something of a grander scale to be played on my pc or tv.

Sorry for the rant, but I dont get why people like these things so much.

[quote name='Ribkage']I wont be getting either. Im beyond sick of handheld gaming.

Do people really have tons of free time away from home to play these things? All my free time is at home or being used up away from home in a place where theres no time to play games.

Id much rather developers spend thier time on something of a grander scale to be played on my pc or tv.

Sorry for the rant, but I dont get why people like these things so much.[/quote]

As far as portables go i use them all the time. I always have my sp (in my airform case that i got from this site) and play it practically every day. I go to school and when i can't stay up any more i pull out the sp and it wakes me up again.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']both. in this order:

if paper mario port - ds
if SOTN port - psp

whichever has rez 2 - that.

rez 2 is the deciding factor for me.[/quote]

will there be a rez 2?

i really like the design of the psp, but im more interested in the lineup of games for the ds....

Neither, unless they have a major price drop.

And I have to say that the hype and over reaction to these gadgets is sad.

i totally disagree with scrubking on this one. i play my sp very often, and since DS is backwards compatible, im buying new, and selling old!

also im super suprised the big hit DS is, maybe sony jus tried too hard. i really dont want a $250 object in my pants, when ill spend more time making sure i dont get jacked than playing their games.

hope all of you go out and pick up a DS during its release period, and nintendo better start porting their japanese titles asap! dammit, naruto will never make it to the US.

DS baybee! hype or no hype, i've already wet my pants.

Depends entirely on the software available...but at this point, the stuff that's planned for the DS just sounds very cool. The games sound like they're unique, and fun to boot...really, where else can you play a game like Pac-Pix?

You can't. Unless the PSP can land some damn impressive games, the DS will be the one I end up with.

I'm going for the DS. Backward compatibility is what will make up my mind. I play my SP way too much to abandon those game. And the new games look incredible. I wasn't impressed initially with the DS but E3 changed my mind. Also, I think the PSP is going to be priced too high and try to be too much of a "do it all" machine.

Definitely the DS. In the rapidly stagnating video game market, Nintendo is often the company that must be looked to for real innovation. Like they said, they never intended to make the most powerful handheld, they were intent on delivering a revolutionary product that allows for totally new ways to conceive of and play games. I believe they have done so with the DS. Where Sony seems to be content to deliver a package that doesn't deviate from the same old more power = better concept, Nintendo has shown us something totally new and therefore very exciting. I really hope a lot of developers will be in support of it, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to try their hand at creating something totally different than has yet been seen. This is the coolest thing so far at E3, by a long shot.

I'll stick with the ds. if I want all the features of the psp i'll just buy them seperately. I would rather stick with nintendo like i have from day one and a portable thats main focus is gaming. I'll probably get the psp once it goes down in price but for now ds all the way

[quote name='Ribkage']I wont be getting either. Im beyond sick of handheld gaming.

Sorry for the rant, but I dont get why people like these things so much.[/quote]

I don't even play my SP on the road, I play it because it has different games, and I can play it anywhere in my house.

You, my friend, obviously have the good fortune of not commuting to work via train three hours a day. I play my GBA more than I do my console on average. I put in a whopping 40 hours in Tactics Ogre last month, solely from commuting, and that wasn't the only game I played in April, either!

I'm psyched for the DS (they are tentatively shooting for a $130 price point last I heard), though the lack of hotspots along the commute puts a damper on being able to play multiplayer on the train. I'll eventually get a PSP if the UMD format really picks up. Say, with a Sony special edition DVD release for a movie, they pack-in a UMD version of it? I'd be sold on it right then. No way I'm paying the _likely_ $250-$300 for this sucker at launch.

DS all the way, it has all of this functionality that Sony doesn't even mention at all, not to mention the likely $150 price at launch has me sold (with the games they showed at the press conference). Wario Ware, Inc. especially, goddamn. I will get PSP if it 1) isn't too expensive, and 2) it has games like Tales of Eternia coming out in the US (it was announced in Japan).

Maybe you should change the question to "Are you a retarded Nintendo fanboy or will you buy the PSP?" If you can't afford a PSP, fine. But please don't even compare the two.

[quote name='repetske']Maybe you should change the question to "Are you a retarded Nintendo fanboy or will you buy the PSP?" If you can't afford a PSP, fine. But please don't even compare the two.[/quote]

Or you could say:

Are you a retarded Sony fanboy or will you buy the DS?

Personally I think the DS looks alot cooler than the PSP, but without taking anything away from it, the PSP still looks pretty damn cool.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='repetske']Maybe you should change the question to "Are you a retarded Nintendo fanboy or will you buy the PSP?" If you can't afford a PSP, fine. But please don't even compare the two.[/quote]

Or you could say:

Are you a retarded Sony fanboy or will you buy the DS?

Personally I think the DS looks alot cooler than the PSP, but without taking anything away from it, the PSP still looks pretty damn cool.[/quote]

tou·ché ( P ) Pronunciation Key (t-sh)
interj.
Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French, from past participle of toucher, to hit or wound in fencing, from Old French touchier, to touch. See touch.]

Actually I can't stand 99% of the crap Sony does. I just think Nintendo is pretty whacked out and out of touch as well. The new Zelda is the only thing consumer responsive I've seen them do in the last 10 years.

I'm suprised the PSP isn't going to be connectable to PS2. At least I haven't heard anything.

I was a leaning towards PSP before E3 but seeing DS and its backward compatibility (I have way too much GBA games) ..Im leaning towards DS, of course that could change in the future..

I will go with the DS, if I get anything at all (I'm not really into portable gaming). Everyone seems to me missing the critical flaw of the PSP: IT HAS A 2.5 HOUR BATTERY LIFE! This is according to the article at http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html . Are they nuts? Guess its because of the spinning media format that needs a motor.

Also, it seems kind of big (the DS is smaller when it's closed) and they dont have any kind of protection for that big, beautiful screen - which the DS has.

Based on the battery life alone, I give the PSP a big thumbs down, making the DS the winner by default.

[quote name='mikefust']I will go with the DS, if I get anything at all (I'm not really into portable gaming). Everyone seems to me missing the critical flaw of the PSP: IT HAS A 2.5 HOUR BATTERY LIFE! This is according to the article at http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html . Are they nuts? Guess its because of the spinning media format that needs a motor.

Also, it seems kind of big (the DS is smaller when it's closed) and they dont have any kind of protection for that big, beautiful screen - which the DS has.

Based on the battery life alone, I give the PSP a big thumbs down, making the DS the winner by default.[/quote]

all good points.

psp it too much for my budget. ill prolly even wait for the ds to hit 130 or 100.

the ds screen protection is a big issue for me and i often just throw my sp in my pocket and go to school or work, a psp screen would get scratched to hell.

the battery life is a major turn off, something tells me thats a low estimate, but still...less than 3 hours?! damn.

the most important factor. ds can play gb games. the day i buy the system ill have over 60 games i can play on it

Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

a low res version of mario 64 and metriod.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Is this even fair? :lol:

PSP all the way

[quote name='Valkryst']Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

PSP all the way[/quote]

Rehashed ports of games i can play at home

or

An entirely new gaming experience with original games

You're right. It's not fair.

[quote name='WildWop']I'm psyched for the DS (they are tentatively shooting for a $130 price point last I heard), though the lack of hotspots along the commute puts a damper on being able to play multiplayer on the train.[/quote]
dont forget the DS will be able to connect to other DS users up to 100 feet regardless who they are as long as they are in the game :p as well as send messages & pictures ! ahhh pwn4g3 . and you can have a wireless connection @ home and play online 100 feet away from the router ;) DS will rule . the PSP looks really good but like most said . its all about a whole media machine that has small moveable parts that are really expensive and easily broken . not to meantion the 2.5hr battery life of playing "videos" which is basically gametime ... compared to the DS w/non-moveable parts having up to 10hrs of gametime :)

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='Valkryst']Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

PSP all the way[/quote]

Rehashed ports of games i can play at home

or

An entirely new gaming experience with original games

You're right. It's not fair.[/quote]

Um, and Metroid and Mario aren't "rehashed ports?" I'm going to go with PS2-quality graphics and games over N64-quality.

Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

pixel perfect my ass. and i doubt 1.8 gigs is enough to do gt4 justice. i'm kinda undecided right now, but nintendo really surprised me with all aspects of the ds and sony's psp is still pretty impressive even with the cons i.e. battery life and price. realistically, i see myself with a ps3 and n5 next generation. even more realistically, i see the psp replacing ps3 and just owning nintendo's next console and a psp. i love the gamecube, i really like the ps2's variety and a few exclusives and rpg's do keep me in sony game. but the psp seems like it will pick up my sony fix, and you never can get enough nintendo.

Here's the DS games line up !!

1. Animal Crossing
2. Wario Ware
3. Metroid Prime: Hunters
4. New Super Mario Bros
5. Pac-Man Roller
6. Mr. Driller
7. Pac-Man Pix
8. Mario Kart
9. Mario 64x4
10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
11. Dragon Warrior Monsters