Nintendo DS Price Drop

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Anyone know if this will happen or any rumors floating around? I would assume they drop the price $15-$30 to sell off as many as possible. I could be wrong, but with the DSi slot on the new one and Downloable games there is no need to still manufacture the DS which only plays DS and GBA games.

The DS is selling very well. Nintendo doesn't technically need a price cut right now and I doubt they will for a long time (or at least until DS drops big time in sales). And with Nintendo and other Japanese companies getting hurt a bit by the strong yen (where it cuts into profits), I believe Nintendo will price DS at $129.99 for as long as they can.

LoL, yeah right. The DS lite will continue to sell just fine as a "low priced" alternative to the DSi. Or as an alternative when stupid parents try to buy the DSi on 24 Dec., only to find out its been sold out since September...

I dont see the normal DS falling in price until summer 2010 or later... The DSI could be a major flop

worker at our local Gamestop has already said they will hate when the DSI comes out cause maybe people will damage their camera and demand a new one.

Didnt the GBA SP sell for normal prices years after the DS came out... maybe a 10 or 20 buck price cut maybe Fall 2010 but i be shocked if anything anytime soon

[quote name='slidecage']The DSI could be a major flop[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the preorder numbers are massive.

[quote name='slidecage'] The DSI could be a major flop.

worker at our local Gamestop has already said they will hate when the DSI comes out cause maybe people will damage their camera and demand a new one.[/quote]

The DSi will not be a flop. It's selling very quickly in Japan, and pre-orders are higher than expected in the United States.

Also, damaging cameras? Demanding new ones? What? That's really random.

As sad as it is I would agree- no price drop. Nintendo is one company where it certainly doesn't pay to wait. Their prices on their hardware and software drop way slower (if at all) when compared to Sony and Microsoft products.

DSi pre-order numbers have already exceeded the DS Lite pre-order numbers, so I doubt it's going to flop at retail. As for a DS Lite price drop, we won't see one until the end of this year at the earliest. It's hard to tell if Nintendo is going to use the DSi as a replacement to the DS Lite or use the 3rd pillar strategy that they had originially planned with the GBA.

There won't be a drop, they'll just ship out less and less. They've already stopped making white and regular pink. Cobalt and silver are getting harder and harder to run across. Crimson, Onyx and Metallic pink seem to be in ready supply though.

[quote name='SL4IN']DSi pre-order numbers have already exceeded the DS Lite pre-order numbers, so I doubt it's going to flop at retail. As for a DS Lite price drop, we won't see one until the end of this year at the earliest. It's hard to tell if Nintendo is going to use the DSi as a replacement to the DS Lite or use the 3rd pillar strategy that they had originially planned with the GBA.[/QUOTE]

anyone know if a download games list is up or any clue when they will say what games will be downloadable day 1

[quote name='slidecage']worker at our local Gamestop has already said they will hate when the DSI comes out cause maybe people will damage their camera and demand a new one.[/quote]

So this is where The Wisdom Of Slidecage comes from...it all makes sense now.

Realistically though, it'll be nigh impossible to break the camera. Of all the things that can go wrong with electronics and cell phones, a tiny camera lens seems capable of surviving the biggest beatings. I can barely form a sentence tonight, sheesh...

i hope they don't abandon/cut back on making games for the DS . Not everybody wants gameplay with camera use and etc. Keep pumping out the games and the DS will still sell at 130.

I'll agree with no price drop. Also, PLEASE don't use Japan's DS sales as a base because they buy ALL quirky crap that hits the market. I'd look at US sales and European sales as a good bases.

Why drop the price. At $129.99, its still $50 cheaper than the DSi, and thats a big difference in price. Most people are still going to prefer paying for the DS for $50 less.

[quote name='Vitality X']i hope they don't abandon/cut back on making games for the DS . Not everybody wants gameplay with camera use and etc. Keep pumping out the games and the DS will still sell at 130.[/quote]

Um what makes you think they would even do this? The added feature of the cams is in no way going to replace your normal ds games. Its just something new that they are tossing in to test out.

[quote name='LostRoad']Um what makes you think they would even do this? The added feature of the cams is in no way going to replace your normal ds games. Its just something new that they are tossing in to test out.[/quote]

Because they're making DSi specific games.

[quote name='Vitality X']Because they're making DSi specific games.[/QUOTE]

and they were making GBA games when DS was out. You got nothing to worry.

[quote name='Vitality X']i hope they don't abandon/cut back on making games for the DS . Not everybody wants gameplay with camera use and etc. Keep pumping out the games and the DS will still sell at 130.[/quote]

Remember those GB Micro-only games they started releasing to promote GBM sales?

[quote name='Vitality X']Because they're making DSi specific games.[/quote]

Theyve sold over 75 million worldwide. What would even be the point to stop making normal DS games. Its not like the DS is a stronger system as far as graphics are concerned. The core technology of the games are still the same, they just expanded on all the extra features now such as the camera, which will probably be utilized with the DSi games and etc. But its not like just because its a DSi, the power of the system is that much greater. Sure it has a crapload of bonus features, but its not technically the next gen system, still really just an upgrade. You dont have to worry bout silly things like that until the next gen handheld comes out.

DS won't price-drop as long as it sells well every month and is still cheaper (and selling better) than it's nearest competition, the PSP. I think Nintendo could up the price $10 and people would still buy them, to be honest.

Don't think so. When Nintendo thinks something needs to sell more, they make new colors for it instead of price drops (the Wii hasn't seen 1 new color, so you know it's doing great). I think the PSP will drop soon though, since the next PSP was all but confirmed to be in the works for a release as early as Fall '09 a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Skv012a']Remember those GB Micro-only games they started releasing to promote GBM sales?[/quote]

The GB Micro was just a redesign of the GBA (smaller size and better backlit screen). It didn't add any new features so I don't know what you mean by GB-Micro only games. Unless youre being sarcastic. And as for my comment earlier, I was just jumping the gun too quick. Nintendo wouldn't abandon the regular DS crowd.

[quote name='Squarehard']Theyve sold over 75 million worldwide. What would even be the point to stop making normal DS games. Its not like the DS is a stronger system as far as graphics are concerned. The core technology of the games are still the same, they just expanded on all the extra features now such as the camera, which will probably be utilized with the DSi games and etc. But its not like just because its a DSi, the power of the system is that much greater. Sure it has a crapload of bonus features, but its not technically the next gen system, still really just an upgrade. You dont have to worry bout silly things like that until the next gen handheld comes out.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is what I was more worried about. http://kotaku.com/5349422/first-dsi+only-games-hit-stores-this-fall-with-distinct-look . Abandoning was the wrong word by me.

and btw the DSi IS "greater"

DSi: 133mhz cpu, 16mb ram
DS: 67mhz cpu, 4mb ram.

bread's done
Back