Nintendo DSi $149.99 / DSi XL $169.99 - Universal Price Drop Starts 9/12

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]17711[/IMG-R][preview]Effective Sept. 12, the new suggested retail price of the Nintendo DSi system will be $149.99, while the new suggested retail price for the Nintendo DSi XL system will be $169.99. The Nintendo DS™ Lite model will remain at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The press release in full continues below. [/preview]

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is dropping the suggested retail price of its Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ video game systems. Effective Sept. 12, the new suggested retail price of the Nintendo DSi system will be $149.99, while the new suggested retail price for the Nintendo DSi XL system will be $169.99. The Nintendo DS™ Lite model will remain at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The Nintendo DS family of video game systems is the best-selling in the history of the U.S. and worldwide. The new prices offer consumers tremendous value for their money while providing access to the best portable video game experiences possible.

“We know shoppers want to get the maximum value out of every dollar they spend,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Our new Nintendo DSi prices make it easier than ever for consumers to access the tremendous variety of games, applications and social tools on the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems.”
The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems offer consumers access to more than 1,300 packaged games and more than 200 downloadable games. Both systems feature two built-in cameras and photo- and sound-manipulation software that provide for a more social experience. Users can wirelessly upload photos to Facebook with the touch of a button (wireless broadband Internet access required). The Nintendo DSi XL system, which features a screen that is 93 percent larger than that of the Nintendo DS Lite, comes pre-loaded with software like Brain Age™ Express: Math, Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Flipnote Studio™, Photo Clock and the Nintendo DSi Browser.

Through the end of July, total Nintendo DS family hardware sales are more than 42.3 million in the United States alone, according to the NPD Group. Recent and upcoming software releases for the Nintendo DS family of systems include DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ (now available), Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™ (Sept. 12), Pokémon™ Ranger: Guardian Signs (Oct. 4), Art Academy™ (Oct. 25), Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem! (Nov. 14) and Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn (Nov. 29).

Remember that Nintendo DSi features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendodsi.com.
About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.4 billion video games and more than 565 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at www.nintendo.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad as I was thinking of picking up an XL to play at home now that there's a nice color (blue) out. Though I'll be waiting till the end of Sept. for the 3DS announcement first I think for the release date/price to make that final decision.

[quote name='Chocoburger'] One thing's for sure I will by waiting at least 4 years on the 3DS... but MGS 3 is my favorite action game of all time and if that gets a full rerelease I will be powerless... damn it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I swear I have so many backlogged 2D games, that, these days, I'm not attracted to having the latest new console. I can just play my old, sealed games for 10+ years.

Yeah right. I lose all that willpower when they discontinue the backwards compatibility (60GB PS3, DS-Lite), forcing me to buy now. I get locked into the current generation at a high price, and never get around to my older games.

It's a vicious cycle, but it ends when they stop making disc/cartridge-based games. At that point, I'll truly stop buying and get to enjoy my backlog :)

why does nintendo keep crappin on the fans that buy this stuff when it comes out. First they stick me with 2 ugly colors and now a price drop >

[quote name='Chocoburger']Well thanks, I guess I'll return it. Nintendo keeps screwing with me. I had bought a DSi and 26 days later DSi XL info was leaked and soon officially announced. *sigh* So I returned it but I have a useless case and screen protector now. Great.

I bought a Wii, and barely played it and soon it got a price drop and freebie game with motion plus. I should have just waited.

I can't stand supporting Nintendo these days, but they do make fun games. One thing's for sure I will by waiting at least 4 years on the 3DS... but MGS 3 is my favorite action game of all time and if that gets a full rerelease I will be powerless... damn it![/QUOTE]

Let this be a lesson to not wait until the tail end of a price level/system life/etc to buy something. ;) If you wait 4 years to buy the 3DS you'll be crying that the 3DS-XL came out 2 days after you bought yours.

[quote name='Gamelore']Yeah, I swear I have so many backlogged 2D games, that, these days, I'm not attracted to having the latest new console. I can just play my old, sealed games for 10+ years.

Yeah right. I lose all that willpower when they discontinue the backwards compatibility (60GB PS3, DS-Lite), forcing me to buy now. I get locked into the current generation at a high price, and never get around to my older games.

It's a vicious cycle, but it ends when they stop making disc/cartridge-based games. At that point, I'll truly stop buying and get to enjoy my backlog :)[/QUOTE]

:D That's the same way I feel. I have tried not to buy games, but that has not worked out so well. I'm still working on my backlog, but I keep adding new games as well.

I have decided that I will most likely stop buying new games at the end of this generation. This was actually the first generation of systems I bought systems while they were still in their prime as I usually waited until they were nearly done. I have a lot of games to get caught up on, so depending on the next gen systems and/or if they go download only, I think I may hold off for a while.

But, for now, I'm going to keep buying stuff that I don't really need... First up, the DSi Xl, followed by the 3DS :bouncy:

Nintendo got it right price cuts before the holidays. But microsoft getting it backwards price increases right before holidays.

[quote name='megaman89']why does nintendo keep crappin on the fans that buy this stuff when it comes out. First they stick me with 2 ugly colors and now a price drop >

It's hard going back to smaller screens once you try the DSi XL. It's a great upgrade.

Although I think I am getting picky in my old age. I love the DS for casual fun game but despite the great RPG's I always end up bored with them because of the small screen and poor sound. I know headphones improve the sound but I am uncomfortable playing with headphones on any extended session.

Am I alone in preferring a large TV and nice sound on an RPG? Even on old games or GBA games I far prefer them on a large screen and decent sound.

Anyways, all that aside. I highly recommend the DSi XL. The 3DS still has small screens and even when I do purchase one I think I will continue to play my DS games on the XL just for the screen size. It's worth it

I was thinking of buying an XL. I had a DS Lite but it died years ago. I am pretty much seeing the general opinion the XL is worth the extra money. I was wondering about buying it now and having Best Buy do a price match on it on the 12th since they ahve the 30 day price match. not sure if It will work on a console.

any thoughts?

The best time to get an XL would be black Friday, wouldn't it? I'd kind of like to get rid of my DSi and switch to that.

[quote name='megaman89']why does nintendo keep crappin on the fans that buy this stuff when it comes out. First they stick me with 2 ugly colors and now a price drop >

[quote name='Thrinn']Is it really that much of a surprise? Nintendo has been doing remodel & price drop thing since the original Gameboy. The same thing will happen multiple times with the 3DS.

And you're not really getting taken advantage of either. You've gotten 6-9 months more enjoyment out of your system than those who chose to wait for a price drop.[/QUOTE]
Not me. :bomb:

[quote name='1NintendoFan']:D That's the same way I feel. I have tried not to buy games, but that has not worked out so well. I'm still working on my backlog, but I keep adding new games as well.

I have decided that I will most likely stop buying new games at the end of this generation. This was actually the first generation of systems I bought systems while they were still in their prime as I usually waited until they were nearly done. I have a lot of games to get caught up on, so depending on the next gen systems and/or if they go download only, I think I may hold off for a while.

But, for now, I'm going to keep buying stuff that I don't really need... First up, the DSi Xl, followed by the 3DS :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I have a ton of DS games and have gotten a ton of use out of the system so it was in no way a bad purchase for me but with the way Nintendo is releasing system after system I think it would be best for me to wait until at least the 2nd revision of the 3DS to get another one. I have a lite and I skipped over the whole DSi Generation.

About consoles I don't need I just bought a PS2 (a working one for a very very low price) and I am about to blow $300 on the newest iPod touch (though at least half of this is being paid for with giftcards). Not to mention all the PS2 games I am about to blow money on, although they are all $10 or less per game. I haven't bought any portable electronics since 2007 though and I don't have a cell phone and I did skip over the DSi generation so the iPod is kind of justified, at least I can justify it that way, haha.

For the PS2 its the first PS2 I owned, never owned it before. I feel kind of silly walking into gamestop and buying $2 eyetoy games (and other cheap games) but meh, cheap fun is cheap fun.

I just don't see the point in buying a DSi, it has nothing that would add to the experience of playing games for me, and DSi ware is nothing I am interested in especially since its game are crappy, expensive and locked to one console and you can't get them back if you lose your console or upgrade. It also doesn't have a GBA slot which I need since I am a huge fan of the Pokemon RPG games.

I really don't need to buy anymore modern consoles, since I am truly overloaded with games.

Don't forget you can always trade in whatever DS system you have to GameStop toward a new one. They usually run a special when the new systems come out so you get a fair amount back.

DS games are super fugly on the DSI XL, due to the horribly low resolution of the games. The larger screen shows off the bad resolution. As for any other DS system, when they drop to $25 I'll think about it, otherwise they're not worth it. The DS has been mostly a gimmick with the useless 2nd screen and awkward controls, and 99% of the games on the DS are shovelware. Easy pass on this until they blow them out for next to nothing, then I'll think about it. :applause:

That's funny. The DS has dozens of great games and many of the best RPGs of this generation, but I guess someone who doesn't know what he's talking about would allow the shoverlware to cloud his judgment.

[quote name='chimpmeister']DS games are super fugly on the DSI XL, due to the horribly low resolution of the games. The larger screen shows off the bad resolution. As for any other DS system, when they drop to $25 I'll think about it, otherwise they're not worth it. The DS has been mostly a gimmick with the useless 2nd screen and awkward controls, and 99% of the games on the DS are shovelware. Easy pass on this until they blow them out for next to nothing, then I'll think about it. :applause:[/QUOTE]

WTF!

The DS is easily my favorite system this entire gen... the amount of great games is excellent. Thanks to that comment, I can see that you are a videogames noob.

You should check out this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Still overpriced, but probably worth it if you buy one of those R4 cards I've been hearing so much about. That's the only way I'd ever do DS.

[quote name='chimpmeister']DS games are super fugly on the DSI XL, due to the horribly low resolution of the games. The larger screen shows off the bad resolution. As for any other DS system, when they drop to $25 I'll think about it, otherwise they're not worth it. The DS has been mostly a gimmick with the useless 2nd screen and awkward controls, and 99% of the games on the DS are shovelware. Easy pass on this until they blow them out for next to nothing, then I'll think about it. :applause:[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to even try explaining the 40 plus great games to someone who probably wouldn't even understand.

Sony fanboy is here.

There are plenty of good games on the DS, but if you like FPS and sports games there isn't much for you. DS is mostly for RPG's, Nintendo Franchise games and minigames. Ipod touch is better for minigames since it costs a lot less to buy games and you can get tons of free games plus demo's for nearly every game, so if you want shovelware and short games better off going with that so you don't have to pay $20-40 for each one, plus you get all the other functions of the iPod touch. You can get a decent iPod touch for the price of a DSi XL these days and the games are much much cheaper on the touch. Most people I know and most kids I know have dumped the DS for an iPod touch or iPhone if their parents buy it for them. Even if you buy DS games at rock bottom prices and resell them when you are done with them you are still losing more per game than what you would spend for iPod touch games, I know because I have been there and back, plus its a lot of work to do this and to get the lowest prices on DS games that aren't bootlegs.

Yes there are tons of good games on the DS, those games are harder to find in stores than the shovelware which store shelves are lined with, if you want the good games you have to research and buy them online. If you do this you will be satisfied with the DS.

I don't like the DSi XL cause its really heavy, the DS Lite is heavy enough for me to hold, and buying the XL would make it almost impossible for me to hold and play it since its so heavy.

[quote name='SaraAB']There are plenty of good games on the DS, but if you like FPS and sports games there isn't much for you. DS is mostly for RPG's, Nintendo Franchise games and minigames. Ipod touch is better for minigames since it costs a lot less to buy games and you can get tons of free games plus demo's for nearly every game, so if you want shovelware and short games better off going with that so you don't have to pay $20-40 for each one, plus you get all the other functions of the iPod touch. You can get a decent iPod touch for the price of a DSi XL these days and the games are much much cheaper on the touch. Most people I know and most kids I know have dumped the DS for an iPod touch or iPhone if their parents buy it for them. Even if you buy DS games at rock bottom prices and resell them when you are done with them you are still losing more per game than what you would spend for iPod touch games, I know because I have been there and back, plus its a lot of work to do this and to get the
icon14.gif
lowest prices on DS games that aren't bootlegs.

Yes there are tons of good games on the DS, those games are harder to find in stores than the shovelware which store shelves are lined with, if you want the good games you have to research and buy them online. If you do this you will be satisfied with the DS.

I don't like the DSi XL cause its really heavy, the DS Lite is heavy enough for me to hold, and buying the XL would make it almost impossible for me to hold and play it since its so heavy.[/QUOTE]

You said "heavy" more times than Marty McFly...

Nah... it's not heavy... you probably are weak.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']You said "heavy" more times than Marty McFly...

Nah... it's not heavy... you probably are weak.[/QUOTE]
You're heavy I bet

LOL. Playing Elite Beat Agents and Mario & Luigi Partner's in Time looks EXACTLY the same on DSi and DSi XL.

Until there are HIGH-RESOLUTION pictures of side-by-side comparisons from Lite or DSi vs. the XL, this all B.S.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']You said "heavy" more times than Marty McFly...

Nah... it's not heavy... you probably are weak.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's heavy. Noticed how just about any promotional video from Nintendo usually has an old lady playing her DSi XL on a table ('cause it's heavy!)

Some games look better than others, but it is not a fully portable system. This damn thing doesn't even fit into a psp case (not even the old fat model case). Bulky and heavy.

I got the DSi on day 1 and it is worth every penny for one thing alone, the bigger screen. I spent tons of time on games like Dragon Quest IX, Mario Luigi, Pokemon, and Strange Journey. There is no way I am going back to the small screen of DS Lite.

If this updates in stores, it'll be the 37th of 45 days for me since I bought a blue one for my kid. I got it at Best Buy when they had the free Mario game, which is already the $30 difference. I'm gonna just act coy and see if a) the cashier will even attempt it, and b) even if I don't get the full amount back, I'll be happy w/ whatever I get. Don't really care since I need Mario 64, which was the one I choose..still pretty crappy that it dropped so unexpectedly.

[quote name='SaraAB']
I don't like the DSi XL cause its really heavy, the DS Lite is heavy enough for me to hold, and buying the XL would make it almost impossible for me to hold and play it since its so heavy.[/QUOTE]

Start lifting some weights woman. And if you're a fatty, eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Start lifting some weights woman. And if you're a fatty, eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more.[/QUOTE]

This.

Also, the guy who said games look worse on the XL than the DS and DSi is talking out of his butt.

[quote name='DeathBringer']Umm games look the same on Dsi Xl then DS.

Same Rez.

Plus Ds has many more great games then the competition.[/QUOTE]

More games. Then yes. More great games, is all preference. While I enjoy the library of games I have on the DS, I easily prefer the PSP's library as it has more to offer me. It is all a matter of opinion of course, and either system has a nice set of core games that no gamer should miss.

I'm pretty pumped for the 3DS myself. I already have credit built up to purchase one, but I have to see the thing in my hands first before committing to a purchase. 3D movies/games haven't done much for in the past except for make me sick, so I may not be able to handle the 3DS. I hope that isn't the case, as I really want it right now.

Same Rez.

Umm actually no; take one screen with a given resolution (DSi is 3.25 inch screens at the wimpy 256x192 resolution), and make the screen larger (DSi XL is 4.2 inch screens at the same wimpy 256x192 resolution), the pixels look larger and blockier. So, sorry to say it, but games look worse on the XL screens, due to the blockiness of the pixels. See this article:

http://gizmodo.com/5505514/dsi-xl-review-its-probably-not-for-you

I had actually considered getting a DSi XL despite having never owned any DS system, but after seeing how ugly the games look on it, it was an easy pass.

For people who don't want to bother with the article, here's the part I'm talking about:

As stated, the XL's screen is just bigger than the DSi's screen. It's not noticeably better or brighter. It might be a tiny bit whiter than the DSi we have, but we're not sure if that's just due to age, or that the color is just ever-so-slightly more white. In any case, it's negligible.

Each individual pixel in the 256x192 panel is just bigger. Practically speaking, it makes everything a bit hazier and a bit blurrier, but the screen is larger, though not so large that it actually makes a difference in gameplay. Your eye just needs to move slightly further when you have to look from one place to another.

[quote name='eastx']This.

Also, the guy who said games look worse on the XL than the DS and DSi is talking out of his butt.[/QUOTE]

Nope, as I just stated see this article:

And the relevant section:

As stated, the XL's screen is just bigger than the DSi's screen. It's not noticeably better or brighter. It might be a tiny bit whiter than the DSi we have, but we're not sure if that's just due to age, or that the color is just ever-so-slightly more white. In any case, it's negligible.

Each individual pixel in the 256x192 panel is just bigger. Practically speaking, it makes everything a bit hazier and a bit blurrier, but the screen is larger, though not so large that it actually makes a difference in gameplay. Your eye just needs to move slightly further when you have to look from one place to another.

I implore everyone to ignore this terrible advice.

I'm not gonna get into PSP vs DS. What I will say is that the DS is awesome. The dual screen touch controls make some games absolutely stellar. If someone is gonna force a port to the DS and throw in some crappy touch controls (same as they do with the wii), then of course the game is gonna suck.

But for those games that really make use of the dual screen and controls, you'd be hard pressed to find more enjoyable games on any console or handheld.

Just off the top of my head here are some great DS games (and I realize they started to port some over to the Wii... ): Ace Attorney series, Trauma Center Series, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Henry Hatsworth, Advance Wars, Shin Megami Tensei, Bowser's Inside Story... the list goes on and on in every genre. Hell, I even spent about 10 hours this week playing Sushi Go Round.

Are there shitty imagine party babiez games? Sure. But you're not 9 so I doubt you're buying that game. If you can't find a DS game you like, you're not a gamer.

Some people don't get the hint that when their posts are reported, posting the same items again are going to get deleted like they were before.

Keep the fanboyism out of the thread, please.

Yeah, I need a clarification. I thought fanboyism was jumping into a DS thread and saying how great the PSP is and that DS owners are idiots.

I was just helping people on the fence decide. Cause 1) I love the DS and 2) this is a good deal.

Same Rez.

OK one more time since someone saw fit to delete my SINGLE post which has relevant information about the DSi XL resolution:

I don't want to spend too much time guessing as to what demographic would prefer a larger screen that has the same size resolution—which just makes for larger pixels and NOT a sharper image.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Some people don't get the hint that when their posts are reported, posting the same items again are going to get deleted like they were before.

Keep the fanboyism out of the thread, please.[/QUOTE]

I deleted my double post immediately after Daz mentioned it. What's the problem with pointing out that the larger screen has an issue? It IS relevant for people considering the XL, as I did before I saw the games actually running on the larger screen?

@ Gizmodo review: Slightly related, but Jason Chen is a tool. If you read all of his reviews, you'll see that he tries real hard to be the "I'm smarter and cooler than you" guy and has no credibility to what he says.

I know, tough to make what I said sound objective because it's a reply to a bad review of his, but seriously, if you read him up, you'll need to punch someone soon afterwards.

In regards to the XL, I bought it because I upgraded from a phat. It was thinner (but longer), had 3-4x the battery life, was much brighter (DS -> Lite upgrade), and had a much bigger screen. Some Gamestops run both side-by-side so you can see the difference. I highly recommend the XL for any pre-Lite owners. For Lite and DSi owners though, it's harder to justify the incremental upgrades

[quote name='chimpmeister']I deleted my double post immediately after Daz mentioned it. What's the problem with pointing out that the larger screen has an issue? It IS relevant for people considering the XL, as I did before I saw the games actually running on the larger screen?[/QUOTE]Your posts are trying to be factual, though they're so skewed, it's ridiculous.

People can certainly look on the Internet for opinions of the DSi XL's screen.

frys electronics has the ds lite on sale today only for 100 bux, worth getting? or wait for the price drop and pick up the dsi xl

bread's done
Back