Nintendo DSi - Release April 5th

CrushEm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I don't know if this would qualify to go in it's own thread but here goes:

I received an e-mail from Nintendo announcing the release of the Nintendo DSi on April 5th.
Will there will be an interest in them at all?
Will they be worth getting? Will you be getting one?
Do you think places such as EB Games or FS be having deals in regards to trading in your DS Lite in exchange for credit towards a new DSi?

I am curious as I honestly haven't played my DS much lately but will there be any benefits in grabbing the new system or staying with the old?

Considering you posted this in the DEALS section, no it doesn't qualify to be here. It should be in the Nintendo section...

Anyways, I'm not a mod or anything. So to answer your question... I'm sure EB will knock $50 off the price tag if you trade in your old DS Lite, but don't quote me on that.

Also, I have bought and sold the DS and the DS Lite, so I think I'll have to pass on the DSI. I just can't justify playing a handheld console with graphics from 2 generations ago when I have a Wii, PS3, and 360 at my fingertips.

FarmhouseMedia.png

For me, I'll wait for a Limited Edition DSi (one released in North America and not one from Japan).. Though that's for unopened collection, so I might buy one when there's a good deal to buy it I suppose and there's enough decent DSiWare software to warrant it since I can play DS games on my DSL already

According to Wikipedia the price is going to be $199.99. I was considering getting rid of my Lite, but at that price I might just order a battery off of Nintendo's website and get some more life out of it.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Considering you posted this in the DEALS section, no it doesn't qualify to be here. It should be in the Nintendo section...[/quote]

I can see you're new here...

Anyway EB has the DSi listed for $169.99, I suggest you guys grab it there to guarantee the price.

[quote name='kathos']I can see you're new here...

Anyway EB has the DSi listed for $169.99, I suggest you guys grab it there to guarantee the price.[/quote]

Dammit, and I was just over there too :(

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Also, I have bought and sold the DS and the DS Lite, so I think I'll have to pass on the DSI. I just can't justify playing a handheld console with graphics from 2 generations ago when I have a Wii, PS3, and 360 at my fingertips.[/quote]

There is more to games than just the graphics. For a handheld, the graphics are perfect.

Besides, i'd like to see you play your home consoles on the bus, on a trip or anywhere but in your livingroom.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Considering you posted this in the DEALS section, no it doesn't qualify to be here. It should be in the Nintendo section...
[/quote]

My mistake. A mod can move or delete this if need be. I was sort of asking about possible DEALS in Canada on the DSi but w/e. :oops:

[quote name='kathos']I can see you're new here...

Anyway EB has the DSi listed for $169.99, I suggest you guys grab it there to guarantee the price.[/quote]

What's THAT supposed to mean?!? Yeah I'm new, but I also know that this section is for DEALS. :roll:

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']What's THAT supposed to mean?!? Yeah I'm new, but I also know that this section is for DEALS. :roll:[/quote]

We don't make too much of a fuss of that here, we have about 20 or so active posters, with... possibly hundreds of scumbag RFD lurkers and a few other regular lurkers. This forum isn't as crazy or fast as RFD where everyone's concentrating on saving a few bucks, but yeah, doesn't matter too much.

If we posted pure deals this forum would be slow movin'.

[quote name='kathos']We don't make too much of a fuss of that here, we have about 20 or so active posters, with... possibly hundreds of scumbag RFD lurkers and a few other regular lurkers. This forum isn't as crazy or fast as RFD where everyone's concentrating on saving a few bucks, but yeah, doesn't matter too much.

If we posted pure deals this forum would be slow movin'.[/quote]

Oh, ok then. From now on just call me cucumber boy, as in, cool as a! :D

[quote name='GuardianFlash']Pokemon Platinum on DSI would be cool.[/quote]

Isn't Pokemon Platinum DSi just the same as PP DS? Or am I missing something here?

I don't see a point of getting it unless there is an exclusive game which only works with DSi. Since DSi will be out soon, you will see a lot of deals on DSLite.

i can't see a reason to use internet on a crappy handheld or anything for that matter when i have a laptop..... and there is no need for it outside of my house.

but, i guess other people like going online outside??

i want a DS strictly for gaming, for my retro gaming fix. and the GBA slot is needed sooo much more.

[quote name='GuardianFlash']On DSI I can surf the internet. It's way better to use the stylish while viewing webpages than PSP's crappy stick.[/quote]

[quote name='Bencherstyle']i can't see a reason to use internet on a crappy handheld or anything for that matter when i have a laptop..... and there is no need for it outside of my house.

but, i guess other people like going online outside??

i want a DS strictly for gaming, for my retro gaming fix. and the GBA slot is needed sooo much more.[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking, with mobiles having internet, and PSP/DS, and laptops, you can't really have true wireless internet unless you're in a wi-fi zone (which really... is indoors in VERY specific places and that's IF you have the password if it's locked).

Meaning unless you have a internet stick for your laptop or you're an idiot and you're spending $30-ought dollars on mobile phone internet (ludicrous) per month you don't have wireless internet.

Also I had the internet on my phone, slow and buggy as shit and it costs a fortune (cancelled it, natch). And plus I used the internet... like twice. I'm pretty sure it's the same with everyone else, you only really use the internet very rarely outside your house, having internet (natch, wifi) on your DS/PSP is purely a novelty that adds a little flavour but not enough.

That being said I'm still getting a DSi 'cause my gf's bday's the next day and I gotta surprised her ~_~.

[quote name='neozion']probably gonna get when flash carts will be available for it.[/quote]

There are supposedly some out now - a version of AceKard, I think. Saw something about it on RFD and Dealextreme. don't know anything else about it, though.

Bart

[quote name='kathos']...

That's what I'm thinking, with mobiles having internet, and PSP/DS, and laptops, you can't really have true wireless internet unless you're in a wi-fi zone (which really... is indoors in VERY specific places and that's IF you have the password if it's locked).

Meaning unless you have a internet stick for your laptop or you're an idiot and you're spending $30-ought dollars on mobile phone internet (ludicrous) per month you don't have wireless internet.

Also I had the internet on my phone, slow and buggy as shit and it costs a fortune (cancelled it, natch). And plus I used the internet... like twice. I'm pretty sure it's the same with everyone else, you only really use the internet very rarely outside your house, having internet (natch, wifi) on your DS/PSP is purely a novelty that adds a little flavour but not enough.

That being said I'm still getting a DSi 'cause my gf's bday's the next day and I gotta surprised her ~_~.[/quote]

Um, not everyone carry a laptop around. DSI small enough to put in pocket. I know it's mainly for gaming, but if you need to check emails and you happen to be in a coffee shop like Starbucks. A lot of STarbucks here in Vancouver have free wifi if you buy a cup of coffee. My laptop's a 16 inch and weighs 7 pounds, can't really bring that around. Wish I could have gotten a 14 inch instead. I got this laptop cause of subwoofer, fast CPU, nice video card, 1080 widescreen, and blue ray player. Never use blue ray, I mostly use earbuds. What a waste eh?

[quote name='GuardianFlash']On DSI I can surf the internet. It's way better to use the stylish while viewing webpages than PSP's crappy stick.[/quote]

I had the DS lite browser, it is horrible. Much slower, and much more horrible then the PSP's (atleast on the 2000+ models). It was worse then my Nokia cellphone from 2006. Worse then that? I paid $34 for that junk.

[quote name='GuardianFlash']My laptop's a 16 inch and weighs 7 pounds, can't really bring that around. Wish I could have gotten a 14 inch instead.[/QUOTE]
My wife is in the same boat. She bought a 17" laptop that probably weighs the same as my old desktop system. It's ridiculous. Her laptop spends 99% of the time sitting there on her desk while I am enjoying my MacBook almost everywhere I go.

[quote name='barto']There are supposedly some out now - a version of AceKard, I think. Saw something about it on RFD and Dealextreme. don't know anything else about it, though.

Bart[/quote]
Apparently the new DSi doesn't support flashcarts. :roll: Nintendo's attempt at new security measures...

[quote name='Zing']My wife is in the same boat. She bought a 17" laptop that probably weighs the same as my old desktop system. It's ridiculous. Her laptop spends 99% of the time sitting there on her desk while I am enjoying my MacBook almost everywhere I go.[/quote]

lol it is so backwards you got a macbook and your wife got a heavy clunker too funny! whats goin here doenst your wife think the macbook is ultra cute or something??? macbook = female magnet theyre just naturally drawn to it

[quote name='GuardianFlash']Um, not everyone carry a laptop around. DSI small enough to put in pocket. I know it's mainly for gaming, but if you need to check emails and you happen to be in a coffee shop like Starbucks. A lot of STarbucks here in Vancouver have free wifi if you buy a cup of coffee. My laptop's a 16 inch and weighs 7 pounds, can't really bring that around. Wish I could have gotten a 14 inch instead. I got this laptop cause of subwoofer, fast CPU, nice video card, 1080 widescreen, and blue ray player. Never use blue ray, I mostly use earbuds. What a waste eh?[/quote]

This is why you get a Netbook. Sony P series Netbook is probably the smallest and most compact netbook you can get, but it will cost you $1000. For best price, check Acer Aspire One.

[quote name='GuardianFlash']Um, not everyone carry a laptop around. DSI small enough to put in pocket. I know it's mainly for gaming, but if you need to check emails and you happen to be in a coffee shop like Starbucks. A lot of STarbucks here in Vancouver have free wifi if you buy a cup of coffee. My laptop's a 16 inch and weighs 7 pounds, can't really bring that around. Wish I could have gotten a 14 inch instead. I got this laptop cause of subwoofer, fast CPU, nice video card, 1080 widescreen, and blue ray player. Never use blue ray, I mostly use earbuds. What a waste eh?[/quote]

Err not what I meant at all. But adds to what I'm saying, having internet on a mobile device like the PSP or DS is useless 'cause you can only use it in certain spots that have WIFI, otherwise you're stuck, but what's the point really? If you're (any I mean not you GF) a hard internet user (email, news etcetc all the time) then you might as well just get a netbook or a laptop, it's just too fucking cumbersome to use the DS or the PSP to use it for internet.

Again, internet on DS/PSP; novelty. Shouldn't be a factor at all in a purchase.

I have a netbook I share with my sister. I never really use it. At home I'm on my big fat movie watching laptop. When I'm out I just can't bother to carry a netbook. Don't want to carry a bag around and putting it in my pocket would be 10x heavier than my heavy cell phone. Now I don't know what kind of hacking, slow homebrew, flash cart, r4, or whatever browser you guys used on the old DS, but having a browser on the DSI is better than not having one. I couldn't stand it on the PSP, I hope the stylish is easy to browse like my tablet pen.

I don't have an iPhone. How easy is it to browse with that?

I had an iPhone first gen, it was an alright browser.

Apparently DSi browser is faster then DSlite browser. But I found typing with the DSlite browser very annoying, since my screen was unresponsive and often hit the wrong keys. Hopefully Opera and Nintendo recalabrated the thing for the DSi. But I can only imagine reading on the DSi will be worse thanks to the larger screen with the same resolution as the DSlite screen.

bread's done
Back