Nintendo E3 2012 Week (CHAT IS UP)

[quote name='pacemakerguy']So they said some UK site released the Wii U price which is $435 n games for $62, this seems too high for nintendo. but keep in mind Nintendo hasn't said anything about the price or games yet. So this could just be a thing they think it will sell for. Do u think it will really be that much and an extra 2 dollars for games? stupid[/QUOTE]

I can guarantee you 100% that neither of those prices will be exactly like that. I mean, $435 and $62? No... Maybe they took $425 and $60 and converted that to some other currency (then back again?) - or factored in some bizarre version of sales tax? I dunno - that seems odd either way. But even $425 is probably not right. $399.99 would be the absolute tops and I think they would be making a mistake at that price. But yeah, I could see the games being $60 to match PS3/360 now that they are finally in the HD generation here. They really need to keep the system at $299 or $349 if at all possible. Even if (gasp) they have subsidize it a bit, I think they have to do that this time. I know they don't believe in that sort of thing, but with all the cash they made off the Wii and DS they may need sell it at least at the break-even point for a while to get it off to a good start.

If its $299 or less at release I'll buy one then. Otherwise it will wait. But I really can't imagine they are going to try to release it for any more than that. They'll take a big loss on the console rather than release it for more, and make up for it with game and accessory sales in the short time, lowering manufacturing costs in the long term. Of course I could be wrong. :) Either way I won't pay more than $299 for it, however long that takes. I also predict they eliminate the "It's the Wii Sports console" problem by NOT including a game. You heard it here first. ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']If its $299 or less at release I'll buy one then. Otherwise it will wait. But I really can't imagine they are going to try to release it for any more than that. They'll take a big loss on the console rather than release it for more, and make up for it with game and accessory sales in the short time, lowering manufacturing costs in the long term. Of course I could be wrong. :) Either way I won't pay more than $299 for it, however long that takes. I also predict they eliminate the "It's the Wii Sports console" problem by NOT including a game. You heard it here first. ;)[/QUOTE]

Interesting take (your last sentence). I was thinking they pretty much had to inlcude a game, but perhaps you are right and they will try to get away from that type of thinking by not including one. I'd be OK with a $300 launch price and a cheap NintendoLand (say $20) for what it is. I'd be much happier with a $250 launch price with no game though... And anything over $300 with no game is pure suicide.

As for taking a loss, remember this is Nintendo and I don't think they've ever taken a loss on hardware, right? They are fundamentally opposed to that. Part of the reason is they aren't the big behemoth companies that MS and Sony are. But just this once, I think it might be in their best interest to take a small loss, or at least break even on these things at launch. Getting an installed base and people buying games is more important in the long run, even though the "no loss" strategy worked for them for the "lightning-in-a-bottle" phenomenon that was the Wii.

Nintendo won't take a loss on the hardware unless it flops and they're in another 3DS situation. I would also wager that we're going to see Nintendoland packed in as it's the game that 'explains' how the controller works. Maybe that 3D panorama game as a free download for folks who buy the system in the first few months.

Nintendoland is a far cray from being a system seller though so here's to hoping Nintendo's got something better in the pipeline.

Yeah, I'm hoping (against hope) that there are some free downloads for early adopters at least. Since they are pushing the online thing a lot more I can see it being much like the 3DS (which besides the Ambassador program had a few other early freebies, rigth?). If they don't pack-in NintendoLand then they need to give some better freebies away online at least.

I don't know that they are going to go pack-in-game-less - the idea just popped into my head when people talked about how lots of people thought the Wii just had Wii Sports. Don't include a game and require people to buy one from the shelf and then it's pretty obvious that it's not just the Nintendoland console. Maybe it makes sense. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something with Nintendoland packed in and maybe a bare bones model.

bread's done
Back