Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
I can’t believe they’re charging $50 extra for this. The Switch is four years old, hasn’t dropped in price in that time, and virtually all they did was add a slightly nicer screen; they should have just replaced it with this new model at the same MSRP.

A slew of first party games are on sale for $45 at Best Buy, including some that haven't been on sale yet as far as I know. Some are the same price at Amazon, but their stock won't last the day usually. Ordered from noteworthy to less noteworthy (rarity of discount?):

Pokemon Snap
3D World+Bowser's Fury
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Mario 3D All Stars
Smash
Mario Kart 8
Zelda BotW

They also have Link's Awakening for $40, both physical and digital.
You mean Pokemon: Le's Go? Snap is not $45.

I can't believe it's 2021 and a mobile gaming device still doesn't support bluetooth audio devices. I mean come on.
When playing handheld, it has a headphone jack. When playing as a console it has the same bluetooth audio that sony and MS put into their consoles (that is, none).

When playing handheld, it has a headphone jack. When playing as a console it has the same bluetooth audio that sony and MS put into their consoles (that is, none).
Sony & MS gaming devices aren't portable... That's peoples gripe. I'm sure all of Sony & MS portable devices in the last 10 years (Phones, PSP Go, Vita, Tablets, Laptops) have all had Bluetooth. There is no defending the lack of it in the Switch.

Thank goodness the Switch finally caught up with the PS Vita by adding an OLED screen. Hard pass since I play docked.

I don't see the point of the new Switch for me if there's no internal upgrades for $50 more.
This is just them getting ahead of the eventual time when the original Switch screen supply dries up. The extra storage is just to justify the extra $50. Surely that additional cost will go away when this becomes the main model.

only thing switch has currently caught the vita in is sales
As vita and pstv owner with most of the retail games before the limited print companies went crazy... the Switch has FAR surpassed the library of the vita and has long since been able to run games beyond anything the vita could push. Plus the vita's library itself has been getting eaten away by ports to newer systems similar to the WiiU. Not comparing the Vita library to the WiiU... Vita wins without question. But, there aren't many truly great games that are vita exclusive anymore... and a lot of the niche japanese stuff that made the system so special has moved over to the Switch and PS4... or atleast PC.

But... Switch surpassed Vita at launch by just using standard microsd cards instead of that proprietary BS. I love my vita.. but that 64gb memory card hurt the wallet and my cag'iness. Vita + PSTV + cloud save transfer with PS+ is what convinced me the Switch was going to be just about perfect for me. Well, that and the PSP Go with it's tv dock. That was such a brilliant idea... well ahead of it's time.

There's no reason though we can't love all these systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original psp 2000 iirc had tv out. I know as I have it and played a few of the na exclusive physical releases like star ocean 1 first departure and so2 on it

As vita and pstv owner with most of the retail games before the limited print companies went crazy... the Switch has FAR surpassed the library of the vita and has long since been able to run games beyond anything the vita could push. Plus the vita's library itself has been getting eaten away by ports to newer systems similar to the WiiU. Not comparing the Vita library to the WiiU... Vita wins without question. But, there aren't many truly great games that are vita exclusive anymore... and a lot of the niche japanese stuff that made the system so special has moved over to the Switch and PS4... or atleast PC.

But... Switch surpassed Vita at launch by just using standard microsd cards instead of that proprietary BS. I love my vita.. but that 64gb memory card hurt the wallet and my cag'iness. Vita + PSTV + cloud save transfer with PS+ is what convinced me the Switch was going to be just about perfect for me. Well, that and the PSP Go with it's tv dock. That was such a brilliant idea... well ahead of it's time.

There's no reason though we can't love all these systems.
well I'd hope the switch could run games better, it came out like 6 years after. The vita can till this day still run more apps. A normal built in voice chat, can send messages, better media device, u.i (imo) even 3g (LOL) which reminds me, the vita probably has better online play than the switch. The switch is mostly ports itself. Here we are a decade later and the switch finally has a better screen than the og vita(barely) Yeah the memory prices for vita were absurd(if Nintendo did it I bet people wouldn't care tho) I'm not a Nintendo hater, I have a switch but we have to be honest here.

The vita can till this day still run more apps. A normal built in voice chat, can send messages, better media device, u.i (imo) even 3g (LOL) which reminds me, the vita probably has better online play than the switch

The switch is mostly ports itself. Here we are a decade later and the switch finally has a better screen than the og vita(barely)

Yeah the memory prices for vita were absurd(if Nintendo did it I bet people wouldn't care tho)

I'm not a Nintendo hater

we have to be honest here.
3fleRLk.jpg

Nobody's stopping you from being salty, but they're not making you buy the systems either.

I still have my PSP to component video cable. Played GoW: Chains of Olympus on it, I think.
The PSPGo took that all to the next level as you could dock it and it had PS3 controller support. Such a cool little system. I completely wrote it off when it came out but when it was disappearing from the market and was cheap I snagged a refurbished one from GS. Later I got the dock and extra cables. Having built in memory so I didn't need yet another proprietary memory card (M2) was great.

Yeah the memory prices for vita were absurd(if Nintendo did it I bet people wouldn't care tho) I'm not a Nintendo hater, I have a switch but we have to be honest here.
You underestimate the number of people that love to complain about the switch right now... even without proprietary memory cards. I'm sure we'd have a lot more people complaining about them had Nintendo made such a decision. Thank goodness they focus on games and game systems and had a legacy of using standard memory cards starting with the Wii.

BTW, we talk about ports on Switch... but Vita had a lot of them. Even some of the most loved games like Person 4 Golden were essentially updated ports. I think it's easy to forget the library of the vita is loaded with ports. Not something I complained about. It was nice having the Sly collection on vita. And those Danganronpa games getting ported from psp was cool. What was sad was how quickly sony abandoned first party support for the vita. So much potential that was just wasted. Still a hell of a great system.

While p4g is basically an enhanced port it had a lot of differences from the original version. Skill select via fusion being the biggest one iirc. It also added in more time though only if you don't mess up mary's s link from what I recall. You have to not complete her dungeon quickly like you usually would since it auto advances idiotically while that never happened with the other dungeons. 

This is just them getting ahead of the eventual time when the original Switch screen supply dries up. The extra storage is just to justify the extra $50. Surely that additional cost will go away when this becomes the main model.
Dont know why you would think this. I mean yes at some point (although hasn’t happened in almost 5 years) there will be a price drop. But when they burn through their $299 v2 models I don’t think they are just going to drop this to 299. If switches continue to sell at the pace they’ve been selling, why would they?

Dont know why you would think this. I mean yes at some point (although hasn’t happened in almost 5 years) there will be a price drop. But when they burn through their $299 v2 models I don’t think they are just going to drop this to 299. If switches continue to sell at the pace they’ve been selling, why would they?
I think it makes sense... the V2 switch probably is just barely profitable at $300. So sell the better screen version for $50 more which will help them sell through whatever supply (and parts) are left of the V2 models... then drop the V2 and if they can't get the parts and if the V3 models are profitable at $300 then drop the price to $300. But a lot of this depends on manufacturing, parts being available, and other related costs to getting the systems on store shelves. If they can ride out the part shortages with this V3 model... then they don't have to drop the V2 models.

It also tests the water for a $400 upgraded switch if the $350 model sells well.

I was just explaining elsewhere that the Switch’s internal design is now over four years old. Do you know what happens to electronics in the span of four years? They become dramatically cheaper to produce. The design staying essentially the same also means that any further R&D costs sunk into this new model are negligible. Considering that the MSRP hasn’t dropped in those four years and that Nintendo never sells consoles at a loss, there is no way that the profit margins on Switches being produced today aren’t significantly higher than they were four years ago, even with the silicon shortage. OLED screens and 32GB of flash memory are also far less premium than they were ten years ago, meaning that for a mass produced piece of kit like a games console, I can’t imagine they’re adding a full $50 of production costs. This should have been priced $300 MSRP; $350 seems greedy.

I was just explaining elsewhere that the Switch’s internal design is now over four years old. Do you know what happens to electronics in the span of four years? They become dramatically cheaper to produce. The design staying essentially the same also means that any further R&D costs sunk into this new model are negligible. Considering that the MSRP hasn’t dropped in those four years and that Nintendo never sells consoles at a loss, there is no way that the profit margins on Switches being produced today aren’t significantly higher than they were four years ago, even with the silicon shortage. OLED screens and 32GB of flash memory are also far less premium than they were ten years ago, meaning that for a mass produced piece of kit like a games console, I can’t imagine they’re adding a full $50 of production costs. This should have been priced $300 MSRP; $350 seems greedy.
This would be true in a typical market, but right now costs are so inflated that graphics cards from 4 years ago are selling for a higher price (not from scalpers) than they were when they launched 4 or 5 years ago. And that's if you can find them in stock. I'm sure Nintendo has lots of deals in place, but just because something is older right now does not necessarily mean it's all that much cheaper.

Launching a “premium” version of an existing product at the same price as the existing model doesn’t make much sense. It would force Nintendo to drop the price on the standard Switch, which would then put pressure on the perceived value of the Switch Lite.

In the most basic sense, the OLED model is the equivalent of a X1X or PS4 Pro without the internal enhancements. In Nintendo terms, it’s the equivalent of the DSi … which didn’t really offer much over the DS.

I would have preferred a Pro model of the Switch, but I’m considering picking up an OLED because prices on the original Switch (hackable) are high enough to offset a significant portion of the upgrade cost. With that said, $300 would have been nice but it completely makes sense to me why this model is $50 more. If this had been branded as the replacement for the original Switch, then $300 would have made sense. But this is a premium product aimed at older gamers and people with enough spending power that an extra $50 probably won’t faze them.

In Nintendo terms, it’s the equivalent of the DSi … which didn’t really offer much over the DS.
DS to the DS Lite is a better comparison as it was slimmer, brighter, and more light weight. Not a 1:1 comparison, but close enough.

DSi vs DSi XL ... or New 3DS and New 3DS XL would be good comparisons too.

DSi to DSi XL makes the most sense -- price increase for a bigger screen with no internals changed.

DS Lite was like $50 cheaper than the DS while being better in just about every way, so not that.

DSi to DSi XL makes the most sense -- price increase for a bigger screen with no internals changed.

DS Lite was like $50 cheaper than the DS while being better in just about every way, so not that.
I knew between the two of us we'd get a good comparison to this switch v3 situation.

Even though I have no intention of buying the oled switch, I would like to see one in person to judge the difference. If it makes reading smaller text a bit easier... and is just easier on the eyes... it might be something to consider as my main switch is from the first restock after launch.

On the flip side... AGS-001 vs AGS-101 for those that actually use it portable and never "docked" it with a gamecube!  :p

Launching a “premium” version of an existing product at the same price as the existing model doesn’t make much sense. It would force Nintendo to drop the price on the standard Switch, which would then put pressure on the perceived value of the Switch Lite.

In the most basic sense, the OLED model is the equivalent of a X1X or PS4 Pro without the internal enhancements. In Nintendo terms, it’s the equivalent of the DSi … which didn’t really offer much over the DS.

I would have preferred a Pro model of the Switch, but I’m considering picking up an OLED because prices on the original Switch (hackable) are high enough to offset a significant portion of the upgrade cost. With that said, $300 would have been nice but it completely makes sense to me why this model is $50 more. If this had been branded as the replacement for the original Switch, then $300 would have made sense. But this is a premium product aimed at older gamers and people with enough spending power that an extra $50 probably won’t faze them.
But it isn’t a premium product, it’s a cheap cash in. And I absolutely think they should have marketed this as a replacement; and if that means slashing the price of the previous model, good. The Switch is aging fast and needs a price cut.

On the flip side... AGS-001 vs AGS-101 for those that actually use it portable and never "docked" it with a gamecube! :p
The price didn't increase for the 101's. I'm glad back then I had my launch arctic white GBA with an Afterburner frontlight installed and resisted the original SP's. When the 101's came out "Now with brigther backlit screen" on the box... I bought two of them. Now that was an upgrade. But those were the dark days of Nintendo handhelds... when my friends and I researched frontlight tech and were making deals to get sample lights to test out possible fixes. One of my friends at the time was behind the Afterburner. No more relying on external lights like the wormlight... these color systems needed something better!

The price didn't increase for the 101's. I'm glad back then I had my launch arctic white GBA with an Afterburner frontlight installed and resisted the original SP's. When the 101's came out "Now with brigther backlit screen" on the box... I bought two of them. Now that was an upgrade. But those were the dark days of Nintendo handhelds... when my friends and I researched frontlight tech and were making deals to get sample lights to test out possible fixes. One of my friends at the time was behind the Afterburner. No more relying on external lights like the wormlight... these color systems needed something better!
jesus the worm light. Now that takes me back. I used that on the gba even though you aren't supposed to hahaha. At least until I got the clamshell light for it. That was a smart one which probably later lead to the sp and such.

But it isn’t a premium product, it’s a cheap cash in. And I absolutely think they should have marketed this as a replacement; and if that means slashing the price of the previous model, good. The Switch is aging fast and needs a price cut.
Demand for the original Switch isn’t dropping … it may seem like it’s aging fast for us as CAGs, but for the average parent or kid that’s buying a Switch, the original is still in high demand. Think how long the 3DS shambled on before they finally killed it.

And I would argue the OLED screen is a premium feature. Like others have said, you probably won’t buy your kids a bigger, nicer screen. Even the way they market it in images, and the way the box is bigger and vertical … it’s at least the attempt of making it seem premium, regardless of the internals being nearly the same.

Demand for the original Switch isn’t dropping... it may seem like it’s aging fast for us as CAGs, but for the average parent or kid that’s buying a Switch, the original is still in high demand.
The demand for the Switch is what allows Nintendo to make a greedy cash grab like this model, it doesn’t excuse it. The fact is that the tech is old, R&D costs are four years behind it, and while the CPU/GPU costs may not be dropping, the rest of the components absolutely are.

Think how long the 3DS shambled on before they finally killed it.
They also dropped the 3DS price by over 30% in the first few months.

And I would argue the OLED screen is a premium feature. Like others have said, you probably won’t buy your kids a bigger, nicer screen. Even the way they market it in images, and the way the box is bigger and vertical … it’s at least the attempt of making it seem premium
That’s exactly the issue, Nintendo wants people to think this is a premium product in order to help them justify the higher cost, but a slightly nicer screen, an extra 32GB of storage, and a prettier piece of cardboard don’t actually substantially improve the consumer experience. And OLED technology isn’t that premium anymore, either, especially not a seven inch, 720p screen. It’s not like development of the technology has stalled, so there are still premium examples; but you’re fooling yourself if you think Nintendo is going to be installing the nicest screens available. They’re doubtlessly going to be using one of the cheaper halfway decent options available.

Whey in the world would they do a price cut?? Sales every year have INCREASED year over year including so far this year. Without a price cut. Doesn’t matter if it is 20 years old. If it’s selling more than it did a year ago why would you drop the price? Out of the kindness of your heart? This makes absolutely no sense. Price cuts are almost always to increase lagging sales.

Nintendo Switch sales were up 44 percent percent from January to March compared to the same pandemic-impaired quarter from a year earlier. Today’s numbers bring total Switch sales to 28.83 million for the fiscal year, up 37 percent compared to the 21 million Switch consoles the company shipped the year prior, and beating the company’s own revised forecast.

Whey in the world would they do a price cut?? Sales every year have INCREASED year over year including so far this year. Without a price cut. Doesn’t matter if it is 20 years old. If it’s selling more than it did a year ago why would you drop the price? Out of the kindness of your heart? This makes absolutely no sense. Price cuts are almost always to increase lagging sales.

Nintendo Switch sales were up 44 percent percent from January to March compared to the same pandemic-impaired quarter from a year earlier. Today’s numbers bring total Switch sales to 28.83 million for the fiscal year, up 37 percent compared to the 21 million Switch consoles the company shipped the year prior, and beating the company’s own revised forecast.
Didn’t the DS, which cost significantly less than the Switch, outsell the Switch in its fourth year on the market?

You lower the price of a product to increase demand. It doesn’t matter if the product is selling at the price you originally marketed it as, if you can make the same profit margins at a lower price, lowering the price will generally increase the units sold.

I mean, this is assuming supply can keep up with demand, which in Nintendo’s case is never a great assumption to make, to be fair.

The new model is a big improvement and it's selling better than ever. No way they're dropping the price. In fact I'd like to thank Nintendo for only raising it $50 when they could have gotten away with raising it by at least $100 and still sold out. I own every single Switch model out (OG, V2, Lite, and AC) and will be pre-ordering this as soon as it goes live. The Ethernet port and new screen make it a bargain to me. If you're not interested in that then I can see why you're interested but I'll pay any price just to have non laggy Splatoon 2 matches and a much better display.

bread's done
Back