Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
dunno if its a good place to ask but the first one here is 100% dual ips right? same settings
IMG_20211224_165416__01.jpg
Looks like it to me, but I'd want to see the top/left one from more angles to be sure. If they're running homebrew you can run 3DSident to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of those $50 gc deals from Costco and picked up some Atlus stuff.

Grabbed: Persona Q 1/2, SMT IV & Apocalypse, Culdcept, and Strange Journey Redux.

Debating to go back for the Etrian Odyssey games or maybe Soul Hackers. Any other recommendations?

Everyone's mentioning the SMT, Persona Q, and Etrian Odyssey games in the sale. But y'all should pick up Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology as well. Really good RPG and a steal at $10

Has anybody played Greedroid? I can't seem to find any secondhand information on it at all. even PSPrices shows a link to a review of an entirely different game.

Seems like they got a bad batch of large-capacity cartridges that have been dying off in the years since. It’s also been happening to the European versions of a couple of Pokemon games, IIRC.

At least in this case, it was back when Atlus was less diligent about keeping their physical releases in print, so the bad carts we got are probably all there is.

At least the cart dying didn’t kill your save file, thankfully.
Holy crap that's wild! How widespread is the problem?? Guess that's incentive to get those games from the eshop

Holy crap that's wild! How widespread is the problem?? Guess that's incentive to get those games from the eshop
I've only heard of it happening to the first batch of the carts for persona q 1 after looking into it for a friend since their cart would register in the 3ds but that's it. Found out about the return thing to atlus to get a digital code on reddit and told them to do that. For some of the copies I read they could get to points in the game where the carts would fail.

I've only heard of it happening to the first batch of the carts for persona q 1 after looking into it for a friend since their cart would register in the 3ds but that's it. Found out about the return thing to atlus to get a digital code on reddit and told them to do that. For some of the copies I read they could get to points in the game where the carts would fail.
Oh good of Atlus to take the carts by mail and vivf codes. I love RPGs but haven't played any of Atlus' stuff on 3DS and grabbed a couple of the codes from Costco. Any recs on which titles to grab since they all seem to be at all time lows?

Can't really rec anything personally as a lot of these I just bought or are already in my backlog from a previous sale. But given how expensive the atlus stuff is physical you can't go wrong with digital for a cheaper alternative.

I can only give a anti rec for Stella Glow. Bad localization, fatlus throwing it's fatlus tax when they didn't even do any work, poor unit and difficulty balance with an extreme spike towards the end and the final boss battle is crazy to the point where I'm not sure how I even won. Game requires a second playthrough for the true ending, throws it in the players face practically. S links with the party members are super limited due to strict scheduling and a lot of the characters links locking out till you get to certain story points.

Enemies get a lot of turns and frequently do nothing while you sit through the unskippable crap for them. You are limited to 6 units deployed at any given time which is nonsensical for an srpg and especially with 16+ characters. There's also a section where you are required to use every character and obviously you are neglecting many of them.

But the worst map is the one where you have 2 bosses and 3-4 uncontrollable units and need to get all 10 of your units off the map without any dying or it's automatic game over. And the bosses have high movement enough to basically cover the map in 2 turns if not one to reach an ai unit and one shot them. I nearly dropped the game due to that horrible section.

Will Nintendo put any of their 1st party games on sale digitally during this sale or maybe a New Years sale? They had a decent number of titles on sale during Black Friday and can’t imagine them do nothing for Christmas / New Year’s sale. 

Then again this is Nintendo……

Will Nintendo put any of their 1st party games on sale digitally during this sale or maybe a New Years sale? They had a decent number of titles on sale during Black Friday and can’t imagine them do nothing for Christmas / New Year’s sale.

Then again this is Nintendo……
IIRC, Nintendo usually does a New Year sale… like 1-2 weeks into January. Last year somehow it started on the 14th.

IIRC, Nintendo usually does a New Year sale… like 1-2 weeks into January. Last year somehow it started on the 14th.
Thanks and hopefully get some decent sales on titles I have not grabbed digitally yet in my mad dash since owning my own OLED model during Metroid Dread launch. Always been a physical release guy for Nintendo stuff for the box art and have everything since Nintendo Switch launch but the OLED model screen is so nice and making me play in handheld mode more often that the digital itch kicked in. Been all digital for PS and Xbox for years.

The sad and expensive side of things is I will still likely get physical copies of the big Nintendo games for my collection but can wait for great deals on physical copies as much more common. At least I can keep those sealed for going forward.

Did Costco deal for two $50 eshop cards for $40 each and been using my $5 a month GameStop rewards for a $10 eshop card for $5. So this way when a digital sale I save even more.

gl with that. In my experience 1st party stuff rarely goes on sale with them.  I think the only reason they were on sale at all was due to gamestop doing that digital sale. 

gl with that. In my experience 1st party stuff rarely goes on sale with them. I think the only reason they were on sale at all was due to gamestop doing that digital sale.
Agreed and snatched them up within minutes of going live at those prices digitally.

Not expecting much but if 1 or 2 first party titles here and there go on sale digitally I will slowly get them all. The target PM to digital has been great to fill in even more first party titles but I have been very lucky with that so cannot rely that to work 100% every time.

Million dollar question is do we ever get Nintendo Selects for Switch titles at $19.99. With games sales doing so well they do not need to do it until maybe at the end of the life cycle of the switch. The Switch Pro or Switch 2 at some point better be backwards compatible with Switch titles or a lot of fans will not be happy with them.

Of course I miss the last giveaway and it's not available anymore for free. Eh whatever I guess. Most of the games have been hot trash anyway. I also hope whatever succeeds the switch isn't backwards compatible in a way because it feels so underpowered compared to the other systems. I want something more beefy for sure.

As a new Switch owner, I has questions… when do eshop deals change? Is it weekly? Is there a particular day? I’ve been mostly digital purchasing on Xbox but since it looks like for the most part physical is cheaper for Nintendo?

As a new Switch owner, I has questions… when do eshop deals change? Is it weekly? Is there a particular day? I’ve been mostly digital purchasing on Xbox but since it looks like for the most part physical is cheaper for Nintendo?
From what I've seen in the year I've owned my Switch, it varies based on publisher for the eShop. There'll be holiday sales that coincide with major holidays (including Japanese holidays like Golden Week), but some of it varies from publisher to publisher. I tend to find things I'm interested in and add them to a list on DekuDeals, which is an aggregate site for the eShop and various retailers. It'll send emails when stuff drops.

I know I am not answering your question but I highly recommend setting up a free account on dekudeals.com and adding the games you want to your wishlist. That way you get emails when they hit the price point that you want or hit historical lows. I also use it as a reference to remember what games I already own.

Agreed and snatched them up within minutes of going live at those prices digitally.

Not expecting much but if 1 or 2 first party titles here and there go on sale digitally I will slowly get them all. The target PM to digital has been great to fill in even more first party titles but I have been very lucky with that so cannot rely that to work 100% every time.

Million dollar question is do we ever get Nintendo Selects for Switch titles at $19.99. With games sales doing so well they do not need to do it until maybe at the end of the life cycle of the switch. The Switch Pro or Switch 2 at some point better be backwards compatible with Switch titles or a lot of fans will not be happy with them.
Yeah more than likely they'll do selects at the end of the generation like the 3ds wiiu got. Assuming the switch generation ends like they normally do. As the handheld factor might make it last longer than usual on top of Nintendo doing multiple hardware variations.

At least you can somewhat lessen the cost with occasionally discounted eShop credit.

Yeah more than likely they'll do selects at the end of the generation like the 3ds wiiu got. Assuming the switch generation ends like they normally do. As the handheld factor might make it last longer than usual on top of Nintendo doing multiple hardware variations.

At least you can somewhat lessen the cost with occasionally discounted eShop credit.
I'm buying physical releases for now as I like to resell the old stuff eventually. If they did offer a players choice for $20 towards the end of life I'd probably just swap it all to digital then. It would be nice to have some hints on what the next system will bring as who knows if they might offer backwards compatibility to physical or digital games or maybe both or neither.

Hopefully they keep the cart format and don't go back to discs but who knows. If they really intend on replacing their handheld then it should have bc.

A few discounts show up every day at assorted times, but the main store update/discount day is on Thursdays at 9 AM PST.

The last reply mentioned Deku Deals, and their Recent Price Drops page will pretty much catch every update.
https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops

3DS eShop sales are linked to specific hardware, correct? So, I wouldn't be able to purchase now without a 3DS/2DS.  

A question for anyone who downloaded the final NGG game or already owns Alder’s Blood. I seem to be getting a game-breaking bug toward the end of the tutorial. I’m reaching the top of the mountain after banishing the last fiend. The game tells me to select the highlighted node/marker, but nothing appears on the screen.

I’ve clicked all over the screen and nothing happens. Watched pc/Switch playthroughs and there’s supposed to be a node at the top of the screen, but it doesn’t appear for me.

I tried deleting and re-downloading the game, but it doesn’t make a difference. Is there something I’m doing wrong or is my version screwed? Never experienced anything like this tbh.

I wanted to throw this out there for any 3ds owners that are worried about their 3ds purchases only being accessible on one console. If you do not think you’ll be making anymore future purchases after the recent 3ds sale and want to access games on a 2nd 3ds download ll of your games on the active 3ds and put the console in offline mode(delete the configured wireless connection). You can then call Nintendo and let them know that you lost your active 3ds but would like to access your purchases on a new 3ds. They’ll ask for the serial number to the 2nd 3ds and activate it over the internet. This will allow you to make a 2nd 3ds your primary so you can access your games in case something happens to your console. The previous console will also need to remain in offline mode indefinitely.

Homebrew would be the better method, though if your adding games that you don’t own you’d be stealing which isn’t the case in my previous comment. It’s an alternative to those who do not want to homebrew and are unhappy with how Nintendo locks all content to a 5-10 year old device.

Cool, but if you're going to go to all that trouble and dishonesty you might as well just homebrew.

Upgrading my Switch micro sd from 256GB to 512GB. Friendly reminder when doing this to first insert the new card into your Switch and format. Then you can copy from old card to new on a computer. Wasted plenty of time before not formatting on Switch first ^^;

Upgrading my Switch micro sd from 256GB to 512GB. Friendly reminder when doing this to first insert the new card into your Switch and format. Then you can copy from old card to new on a computer. Wasted plenty of time before not formatting on Switch first ^^;
Yep! So much easier than downloading everything again. Also, use a Windows OS system and not macOS (or Linux, maybe) for the file copy. I could never get the copy to work on my MBP. I’m guessing the OS touches/modifies files that makes the Switch angry. I started using my work laptop, no issues at all. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't do this when I migrated from a 128 GB to 256 GB just last week?

If anything, you should have probably went out of your way to format it to FAT32 format on a PC. The exFAT format the Switch applies has been a bit wonky at times, like a couple of years back when the Pokemon Sword/Shield autosaves killed a few cards.

I didn't do this when I migrated from a 128 GB to 256 GB just last week?
I had a lot of trouble when I didn't do this last time I upgraded. Maybe it depends how your micro sd comes pre-formatted. For ease of mind, it's real quick to pop the new one into the Switch and format it first.

I had a lot of trouble when I didn't do this last time I upgraded. Maybe it depends how your micro sd comes pre-formatted. For ease of mind, it's real quick to pop the new one into the Switch and format it first.
After reading into it (due to helveticastandard), it sounds like you shouldn't format it on the Switch, but should manually format it to FAT 32 on a PC.

Have about 20 things I'm considering for this sale. There is a lot of unknown indies. I need to see reviews/watch gameplay videos to see if they're worth getting. I do like those true blue indie games, and some of them are only available on the Switch and maybe mobile (I don't do mobile games often). Only for sure purchase was Picross S6.

After reading into it (due to helveticastandard), it sounds like you shouldn't format it on the Switch, but should manually format it to FAT 32 on a PC.
I finished a bit ago. Worked perfectly formatting on Switch first.

I'm hoping 512GB will be my last upgrade. I mostly buy physical on Switch, but looks like I also have a fair number of digital titles and game updates.

In case anyone's interested, I went with Samsung Evo Select 512GB with 100/90 MB/s r/w for $60: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Select-microSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME512HA/dp/B0887CHVFF/

My previous card was the same model but 256GB. I have a few of these cards in other devices as well. Never had a problem with them.

Still waiting on a 2tb card. Hopefully the Steam Deck coming out it will urge these companies to get off their asses and get to making one

With all the 3DS deals, there are several older games I'd love to add to my collection. I know the Batman Arkham, Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Epic Mickey series from the PS3 era all had a 3DS spinoff. Epic Mickey isn't on the eShop, probably because the studio that made it went under, but do the other two ever go on sale?

With all the 3DS deals, there are several older games I'd love to add to my collection. I know the Batman Arkham, Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Epic Mickey series from the PS3 era all had a 3DS spinoff. Epic Mickey isn't on the eShop, probably because the studio that made it went under, but do the other two ever go on sale?
No. The only 3DS games that are still getting sales are Atlus, Sega, and Capcom titles, as well as a small stable of indies. Capcom and Atlus always seem to be the last major publishers that regularly put games on sale on first party digital storefronts (and ever since Sega bought Atlus, Atlus USA has been in charge of North American management for Sega titles, so them too now).

Went a bit overboard on this sale (switch):

Blasphemous

Slay the Spire

Moonlighter: Complete

Steamworld Dig 1 & 2

Steamworld Heist

Guacamelee 1 & 2

Oxenfree

Islanders

OTOH, $46 for 10 well reviewed games?  Hard to beat that.

PSA: Demon’s Tilt, being a pinball game, supports vertical screen orientation modes, so you can play using a Flip Grip or a rotating monitor.

The menus… not so much. Either they don’t rotate or they aren’t optimized for vertical mode and are super tiny. The Switch’s built-in accessibility zoom does wonders here.

Just wanted to drop a line and say that Radiant Historia is absolutely worth $10, especially if 1) you have never played it, and/or 2) you enjoy Chrono Trigger. I own both the original on DS and Perfect Chronology, and I'm honestly contemplating buying the digital edition.

So looking at some further games (haven't bought much, just grabbed some demos). But looking at the following:

* Oceanhorn 1

* Sparklite

Any recommendations for or against? I

Sparklite's a good Zelda-style roguelite with the Rogue Legacy-style incremental progression so that you can get more powerful as you go up to a point.

Oceanhorn's a solid Wind Waker-esque top-down Zelda clone.

So looking at some further games (haven't bought much, just grabbed some demos). But looking at the following:

* Oceanhorn 1
* Sparklite

Any recommendations for or against? I
Oceanhorn is kind of a soulless Windwaker clone, aping the style hard but possessing none of the substance.

bread's done
Back