Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Very big sale just went up: Sega, Devolver, Namco, Capcom, Deep Silver, Tecmo-Koei, literal tons of stuff. Took me about 15 minutes just to page through it.

https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops

Don’t know what this Radiant game is. Seems like a ploy for publicity.
It’s a very notable Japanese shmup within its niche, one of those very expensive Sega Saturn imports, previously only on 360 for NA/Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that was a huge omission.
Are they just trying to wait out the war?
Not sure but at least things are looking better for Ukraine. I honestly think Nintendo is just using it as an excuse at this point.

Thanks, went ahead and used the website to have the demo downloaded so when I get home it'll be waiting.

Probably so. We were really lucky back in the original AW release to even get it as it was supposed to come out on 9/9/01 ... but then many stores like walmart didn't get it on shelves until 9/11 or 9/12. Yes, that 9/11. There was concern they were going to pull the game and I think some stores may have done that.
Damn. Didn't realize the original came out around 9/11 too. I never owned a GBA but discovered Advance Wars later only in the past few years. I have only played part of the tutorial as I intend to play the full game on Switch when the remake comes out.

I dislike using the term "Remastered" as synonym of "port."  We already have an HD port of the game and it doesn't look like they're doing a terrible lot more to get it onto the Switch. 

Why not Xillia 1 and 2? Or Hearts? Or Graces? Or one of the many that never made it to the west?

Instead they pick one that already exists on a modern platform (Steam), and they don't even fix the frame rate to as high as it was 20 years ago

Hearts r I agree with should have been ported years ago like Ys celceta was. There's 0 reason to leave it stuck on the vita.  And it could sell significantly better on consoles. Especially if they marketed it, did a proper localization, printed enough fricken copies to even fulfill preorders at launch (and a number of other things).  Dubbing it instead of jpn only google translate crap they did when it originally came out would be a large qol improvement alone. Also fixing the dumb pointless name changes.  Not that I really care all that much about Shing to Kor, though it was dumb when they left in the jpn audio so we could still hear these supposedly offensive names being spoken in jpn plain as effing day. I still can't believe gallando had his name changed just because it means tiny peepee in greek supposedly. Because like what is even the percentage of people playing the game that would even know that language to get offended?

It's a shame that hearts r was so neglected to begin with as it was a hell of a lot better gameplay wise than arise(ia) or zesteria were and had actual in game content instead of the dlc stuff they've been doing since graces. 

graces could possibly move some more copies if they ported it as it is one of the worst selling localized titles in the series.

xillia 2 I don't see them touching since it sold pretty poorly. Which is funny since the other cashin spinoff sequel dawn of the new world knight of ratatosk (aka tos2) sold a lot of copies on the wii and despite it being a budget title was the second best selling entry in the series for years in na only after symphonia on the gamecube. 

Abyss would be another one that could use a good remaster since like graces it sold really poorly (somewhat likely from them picking poorly to release it around the same time as ff12) but I don't have any hope of them fixing that buggy mess. 

As for the unlocalized games they'll likely remain so at this point. Though rebirth is supposedly trails of series wordy, heavily racist story, no one liked the cast much, and complicated to play. Tod2 is really bad in every aspect, and toi and tot aren't generally favored much either. Todr should have been localized though but for whatever reason wasn't. 

The opening chapter of Graces put off a lot of people, I think. In NG+, you can even skip the child arc. Then the ones who got through that didn't like the combat that's a little departed from other Tales games (minus maybe Arise, which is like halfway between Graces and other Tales games).

Graces wise I think people wouldn't have minded the combat difference so much if there wasn't as big an emphasis on dodging. Especially when your party members don't make use of that mechanic much if at all, as well as defense being non existent. The game is very much glass cannon mode. I felt it was better balanced when you did the book stacking so it made enemies equally glass cannony so whoever got who first usually won. This was also the first game to have mosh pit monsters crap like the slime queen and long ranged lasers and stuff on enemies so they can attack from the other side of the battle field.  Which players would be unaccustomed to. 

Transition wise vesperia - xillia - hearts r - xillia 2 - (zesty) - graces more or less due to the progression in the gameplay from those. Going from vesperia to graces would throw most players off since stuff like the different new weakness system (which imo wasn't a good idea and super convoluted) going back to uncontrollable over limit and other mechanics were not new player friendly. Then you've got the mess that was the title and equipment upgrade systems. 

Stuff it did add though that should have been kept as mainstays were the combo ma's, hubert and pascals gun artes (though they've effectively killed off long ranged attackers minus what little arise had), transitional artes/spells combos, role dolls (having more than one of any given character was awesome) and the book customization system. 

Titles graces/arise and such style  if they want to bring them back need to be more feasible to actually level, quit locking out stuff to dlc, make a better way to move about them like say you can set a deck of however many you want to level in such and such order and have it jump from one to the next once it reaches a certain level or maxes it. Even on ng+ with all the possible grade multipliers, difficulty, grade shop stuff and books it still took forever to get titles leveled.

Then there was the mixed equipment system. Being able to pick almost any weapon and just infinitely dump materials into it and level it is good in theory. As then you can just choose your favorite skin basically.  The problems were that much like rogue galaxy or whatever non active party members weren't tempering equipment but worse and you also need 2 pieces of equipment to temper plus specific shards for what stats you want to increase iirc. 

I get why people get put off by the glass canon thing, but it's the only Tales game I played and beat NG+ (and I think NG++). I'm in the other camp where I hate damage sponges, where you just mash attack the whole game and tank everything. So I pretty much never touch musou games, and couldn't finish Crisis Core.

Didn't it have some of the highest hp and damage totals in the series? Short of using critical mode, spamming combo mas and or abusing the piggyback method battles could take a little bit.

Not as bad as arise and zesty at least. But to be fair those had much lower damage output.

Personally I find graces the worst on a first playthrough and far more enjoyable with ng+. It's the only one where I don't recommend playing it without those benefits. same i can't say about the other games. For me graces didn't get to the real fun till you get to the end where most of the sub systems unlocked. Titles,
books, equipment, role dolls, combo mas, accel mode and such. and you finally have enough cc to make decent combos.

What are some of the better deals on Switch exclusives in this sale? I just purchased a Switch and would like to build a small library of niche titles that I cannot get on Xbox. I am considering Catherine: Full Body since it is only on Switch and PS4. Any other suggestions?

What are some of the better deals on Switch exclusives in this sale? I just purchased a Switch and would like to build a small library of niche titles that I cannot get on Xbox. I am considering Catherine: Full Body since it is only on Switch and PS4. Any other suggestions?

Pikmin 3 is on sale if you're into that kind of game.

If anyone else was looking at Little Noah: Scion of Paradise like I was, it's got good reviews and is compared to Dead Cells (though I wouldn't expect it to have quite as much depth). It's definitely going on the wishlist, if I don't go ahead and get it now.

If anyone else was looking at Little Noah: Scion of Paradise like I was, it's got good reviews and is compared to Dead Cells (though I wouldn't expect it to have quite as much depth). It's definitely going on the wishlist, if I don't go ahead and get it now.
I thought it looked good too. It is on my wish list at the moment, but it will need to go on sale for more than a dollar off before I pick it up.

What's frustrating is that I get why the original remaster was locked to 30 FPS. It was a PS3 exclusive so using the PS2 version makes sense especially when the PS2 version had the most content, and it was most likely one of those games where upping the FPS fucks with the game logic. Additionally, it's not like the PS3 would easily pull off 60 FPS anyway. I even get why they used the PS3 port for PC, it was a quick and dirty port done without much expectation sales-wise (Tales games were new to the platform).
But if there was ever a time to go back and do a proper HD port of the Gamecube version and add the PS2 extras, it'd be now, with the game arriving to all current platforms (besides PC) with no access to the earlier versions which have a large audience completely new to the entry, and including another Nintendo platform to boot.
Tales of Vesperia got the appropriate treatment, why not Symphonia?

Tales of Symphonia? I remember renting that at The Movie Gallery :oldman: It was the first video game I ever gave up on. After that I realized RPGs are not for me.

Well this one popped up today, Tales of Djungarian Hamster is at its lowest price ever. No lie, I sunk 30 hours into it trying to breed all the different hamsters. Slow paced and not for everyone, but super cute and fun if you like watching hamsters run around and interact with all the wacky objects you can put in their cage.

Article about the game:

https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220513-12545/

I've played it on PS5 but it's a really fun game. I've put like 40 hours into it and every other day or so still do a run (which takes about 40 minutes once you're fully upgraded)

What's frustrating is that I get why the original remaster was locked to 30 FPS. It was a PS3 exclusive so using the PS2 version makes sense especially when the PS2 version had the most content, and it was most likely one of those games where upping the FPS fucks with the game logic. Additionally, it's not like the PS3 would easily pull off 60 FPS anyway. I even get why they used the PS3 port for PC, it was a quick and dirty port done without much expectation sales-wise (Tales games were new to the platform).
But if there was ever a time to go back and do a proper HD port of the Gamecube version and add the PS2 extras, it'd be now, with the game arriving to all current platforms (besides PC) with no access to the earlier versions which have a large audience completely new to the entry, and including another Nintendo platform to boot.
Tales of Vesperia got the appropriate treatment, why not Symphonia?
Actually tos port for pc was done as a freebie for tales of zesty as part of the many preorder bonuses they offered for that specific version for it hitting the bonus stretch goals for preorders along with the cameo costumes, attachments, god eater dlc and something else. That actually got them a lot of good will and was the reason I and many others picked that version up on top of it being discounted to like 44$ or something just for preordering. Its a shame that both releases were a total shit show.

vesperia wise that one was mainly to get people to stop asking for the ps3 version and to fill space while they had no releases for years between games. The release schedule wouldn't even be an issue if they just filled the slots with unlocalized titles and or returned to the 2 team structure so they could develop more than one game at a time. Definitely wouldn't say vesperia got appropriate treatment necessarily at least not without a number of caveats. Since they did the weird cut and pasted dub for it with multiple voice actors for the new lines, redubbed some of the old lines for no reason, kept the rest of the original 360 dub voice work, and the secret missions were poorly implemented in that version. I will give them points for finally localizing it with all the content from both releases though. But they still as usual managed to find a way to screw up somewhere with that port just like they always do.

It's funny, none of that stuff bothered me with Vesperia on the switch.  It was just the battle system (IMO) was clunky, enemy levels varied wildly to where a sub boss might be way more punishing than a main boss (even with difficulty at the lowest setting, it was easy to get wiped out), and the world despite being expansive made for a pretty linear feeling experience.  I loved the voice acting, the little conversations after a battle, the characters, the story, the environments and overall look of the game ... but just felt the gameplay (fighting) wasn't that fun at all and the experience felt somewhat on rails given the way the world was laid out.  Maybe it's one of those rpg's that open up later and it feels less linear?  I put in around 20 hours before just giving up because it wasn't "fun" even on the easiest setting.

The port being a pre-order bonus for another game is just indicative of them not having much faith in it selling well separately to begin with. It has since been sold for only $20 as a standalone product.
You are 100% correct about Vesperia though, I was focusing on the tech side of it but they really dropped the ball elsewhere.

This is a pretty good sale overall; a lot of things on my wishlist hit their lowest prices. I think I'll hold off on Little Noah for now and get Hades and Minoria.

It's funny, none of that stuff bothered me with Vesperia on the switch. It was just the battle system (IMO) was clunky, enemy levels varied wildly to where a sub boss might be way more punishing than a main boss (even with difficulty at the lowest setting, it was easy to get wiped out), and the world despite being expansive made for a pretty linear feeling experience. I loved the voice acting, the little conversations after a battle, the characters, the story, the environments and overall look of the game ... but just felt the gameplay (fighting) wasn't that fun at all and the experience felt somewhat on rails given the way the world was laid out. Maybe it's one of those rpg's that open up later and it feels less linear? I put in around 20 hours before just giving up because it wasn't "fun" even on the easiest setting.
Yeah it opens up once you get the boat/airship slightly later in the game as per usual rpg rules. After the end of part 1 once you get back to the port via dangrest - heliord to torim from what I recall. From there you can take the boat and anchor it anywhere there's a beach and no shallow water/reefs, ice or such. The game doesn't truly open up till later in part 2 though once you get the airship upgrades so you can land anywhere instead of only just on plains much like tales of abyss airship which also had that issue.

Most tales of titles start out pretty linear really but vesperia definitely does feel on rails compared to symphonia which had zelda like dungeon order you could do after the fire temple. But to be fair abyss and the other games are the same way if not worse with the removal of the world map by graces.

The port being a pre-order bonus for another game is just indicative of them not having much faith in it selling well separately to begin with. It has since been sold for only $20 as a standalone product.
You are 100% correct about Vesperia though, I was focusing on the tech side of it but they really dropped the ball elsewhere.
I don't know so much about how well they'd thought it would do by itself but the price point of 20 makes sense from the standpoint that it was originally released with another game for 40 on ps3 in the bundle. As far as it being a preorder incentive I have to disagree with that being indication of lack of faith and more them getting more sales for zesty on pc as well as good will/word of mouth as how often to games include previous entries in a series for free just for preordering them? The only examples I can think of are mary skelter 2 I think including 1, and digimon hackers memory including cyber sleuth.

But yeah they likely knew that reactions wouldn't be all that great once people found out it was the ps3 port on pc and badly optimized.

I picked up:

-ACE ATTORNEY TURNABOUT COLLECTION $34.99 ($5.67 after using gold points. I stack them up every year and use them at the end of September before the first points expire)

-RISE OF THE THIRD POWER $12.99

-LANGRISSER I+II $17.49

-SEGA GENESIS CLASSICS $10.49

Not too bad of a sale

Just got a Switch, I never paid attention to this thread or the eshop, but do first party titles go on sale often? What about Black Friday? I'd like to get Animal Crossing digital but have enough stuff right now to tide me over until something happens.

Just got a Switch, I never paid attention to this thread or the eshop, but do first party titles go on sale often? What about Black Friday? I'd like to get Animal Crossing digital but have enough stuff right now to tide me over until something happens.
First-party sales are rare, we pretty much get a selection of titles discounted 30% every few months. From the usual schedule I believe Black Friday-ish is the next one, then around the Game Awards, then the holidays, start of the year, and then after that around E3 time? and small ones sprinkled here and there.

As I mentioned, just a selection of usually about ~6 first-party titles per sale, and nothing newer than a year. Anything newer and you usually have better luck tracking one-off discounts on physical copies.

If there’s something third-party you want, check the prices right now, there’s an unusually large sale going on.

Deku Deals is a good way to track sales and check past discounts. https://www.dekudeals.com/

Animal Crossing is pretty rare to go on sale, it has been 39.99 before for the digital but not direct from Nintendo.

Haunted Halloween 86 I got for $2.99 and I'm disappointed to see that it don't show up in play history. I thought all switch games showed up after playing them and after 10 days the amount of time played as well. Also got a robot named fight for $1.99 it's really well worth it.

Black Friday is your best bet. As others mentioned, 30% is the average but last year a bunch of physical/digital games were marked down to $27 each on GameStop. Keep an eye out when big sales go live and sometimes you can snag a BIG discount

GameStop usually has a B2G1 free on used games around the holidays. If you can get the Mario/Zelda games for $30-$40, you’re doing pretty good. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finally see the Nintendo Selects line next year. Probably most of the Wii U ports would get there first.

First-party sales are rare, we pretty much get a selection of titles discounted 30% every few months. From the usual schedule I believe Black Friday-ish is the next one, then around the Game Awards, then the holidays, start of the year, and then after that around E3 time? and small ones sprinkled here and there.

As I mentioned, just a selection of usually about ~6 first-party titles per sale, and nothing newer than a year. Anything newer and you usually have better luck tracking one-off discounts on physical copies.

If there’s something third-party you want, check the prices right now, there’s an unusually large sale going on.

Deku Deals is a good way to track sales and check past discounts. https://www.dekudeals.com/
Great post. I want to give Dekudeals.com another recommendation. I actually now use it to track PS4/5 and Xbox sales too. I keep track of my Switch game collection on the website as well. It has a great user interface and you can even add the PRO Controller to your watchlist. Every switch owner should be using Dekudeals.

Just found out that when an SD card goes bad in a 2DS it doesn’t tell you anything.  It just stops saving your digital games.  Doesn’t appear like the data was corrupted since I moved it over to a new card and everything seems fine now. 

bread's done
Back