Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
I just bought the DLC for $5 (125 coins back!) from an eBay seller.
Thanks for the idea -- just looked and there were still some for sale for $5.

Had it in my cart early this morning but missed out by a few minutes because I hesitated in checking out.

Grabbed a dlc code on ebay, it appears to autodownload the full AC game...which will obviously be locked until I purchase. Hope it goes on sale soon.

I really like Despicable Me, and I think illumination is a great choice to make this Mario movie. I showed my kids the trailer and they all laughed and are thrilled with it so far. We will be going to see it in theaters for sure.

Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe is $3.99

It looks like the previous lowest price was $9.99, so good deal. There's also a demo available.

The eshop doesn't have video of how it plays so here's the Steam page.
I had it on my wishlist for some reason as well. I would never buy/play something like that typically but I bought it because it was cheap and reviewed well. Why do I do this? Is the meta-game of buying well-reviewed cheap games a game itself to be won? At least my descendants will get to enjoy my digital collection until Nintendo shuts down the e-shop perhaps.

I really like Despicable Me, and I think illumination is a great choice to make this Mario movie. I showed my kids the trailer and they all laughed and are thrilled with it so far. We will be going to see it in theaters for sure.
While my kids liked the Despicable Me movies, they definitely don’t like everything that Illumination puts out. Sing 2 was not liked and they have no desire to ever watch Minions the Rise of Gru again. They weren’t too impressed with the Mario trailer. It’s a wait and see.

It's digital only for Persona 3 & 4G... so no rush.
I already have 4G on my Vita, but I only have 3 FES. One Piece Odyssey comes out the week before, and considering how P5R is $60, that's three full retail price games I want in two weeks' time. I could just get an eShop card every couple weeks and stock them up...

If you’re the kind of person who still plays games on a PS2, I recommend playing FES before P3P. The latter has taken a big hit in the presentation thanks to the lack of animated cutscenes (the social link cutscenes in particular are now only portraits and dialogue over stills) and the fact that you explore non-dungeon environments with a cursor. Additionally it’s the least well-balanced version since they replaced some mechanics from the PS2 versions with some imported from P4, without giving much thought to how those mechanics would actually mesh. Some people will get hung up over the fact that you don’t have direct control over your party members in FES, but you can issue general commands to each party member (stuff like conserve SP or knock down the enemy) that’ll generally achieve the result you want—not to mention that the main character is so flexible he can generally knock every enemy down in the first turn, assuming you’re making use of the persona fusion system.

Of course if you’ve already played FES and are looking to replay the game, P3P is a good way to do it thanks to the female protagonist offering a bit of a different experience.

The ai is still dumb in fes but it's significantly better than the vanilla version where Mitsuru is so bad you don't want her in the party and akihiko will heal anything that absorbed electricity instead of attacking any other possible way.

I just used shinjirou, dog, and Ken/aegis in vanilla but after a point I just kept the dog only since the benefits of more exp outweigh the uselessness of more uncontrollable turns.

Either way the ai is extremely inefficient and will often target each enemy individually to hit a weakness among other things so p3p works better in that regard having controllable characters.

I do miss being able to send your party out to kill mons on their own in 3. They never should have taken that out. Especially since it bypassed party members weaknesses and enemies resistances and such. As well as you being able to heal them while they swing away and often goes quicker than when they have you move to the battle screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/p/989#current

New Switch firmware update. Not much there.

Ver. 15.0.0 (Released October 10, 2022)

• The location of the Bluetooth® Audio menu within System Settings has moved.
  • Screenshots can be taken using the Capture Button while in the Nintendo Switch Online application found on the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu. Video capture is not supported.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

Best Buy has a number of Nintendo games for $39.99, physical and digital:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/select-nintendo-switch-games

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

New Pokemon Snap

Nintendo Switch Sports (physical only)

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Yoshi's Crafted World

GameStop is also matching these deals:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/digital+new?pmax=50.00&pmin=25.00&prefn1=webPublisher&prefv1=Nintendo&view=new&tileView=list

Nintendo's storefront has the same physical game sales:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/games/?p=1&sort=ta&f=editions&f=topLevelFilters&editions=Physical&topLevelFilters=Deals

https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals/

Try Before You Buy Sale ends 10/25 at 3 AM ET/12 AM PT

Nintendo games on sale:

Arms - 30% off

Boxboy! + Boxgirl! - 30% off

Daemon X Machine - 30% off

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age DE - 30% off

Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise - 30% off

Kirby Fighters 2 - 30% off

Metroid Dread - 30% off

Miitopia - 30% off

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 30% off

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - 30% off

Triangle Strategy - 30% off

WarioWare: Get It Together! - 30% off

Yoshi's Crafted World - 30% off

Others of note:

Automachef - 80% off

Freedom Planet - 70% off

Immortals Fenyx Rising - 75% off

Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series - 30% off

Mega Man 11 - 66% off

Ori and the Blind Forest DE - 50% off

PixelJunk Monsters 2 - 85% off

Rayman Legends DE - 75% off

Spiritfarer - 67% off

What The Golf? - 55% Off

Dicey Dungeons is $1.99

I wonder if anywhere will have Metroid Dread at that price for a Physical copy.
According to Wario64 it was $35 used at Gamefly. But now it's only that price if you rent it and then do the "keep it" option.

You could start a free trial and see if that allows you to purchase it. (or if you're a past Gamefly customer you might have a $1 trial offer)

https://www.gamefly.com/game/metroid-dread/5030011

Seems like a really dull holiday season from Nintendo? No Game & Watch thing or hardware of any sort? Yeah Pokémon Switch but ehh. Let’s see a revised Game Boy with virtual console. I’d prefer that to adding Game boy games to Switch online.

That's an interesting side effect. I know people have been known to do that here. I've made an account in another region, but mainly just to get English language games that don't make it overseas.

Seems like a really dull holiday season from Nintendo? No Game & Watch thing or hardware of any sort? Yeah Pokémon Switch but ehh. Let’s see a revised Game Boy with virtual console. I’d prefer that to adding Game boy games to Switch online.
We have a lot of non-Nintendo options for emulating old consoles these days if you don't mind going that route. The RG351V, RG353V, Miyoo Mini, and Analogue Pocket are vertical options similar to the original Gameboy in a sense.

There was a visual novel that I loved, called Fragment's Note, on Sony's PS Mobile service for a while... before Sony shut the service down. The game and its sequels were later released on Android, but then inexplicably began randomly disappearing and reappearing from the storefront, and now it seems the original game is gone for good while its sequels remain.

Needless to say, for such an obscure, hard to find series, seeing a new sequel to pop up on the eshop - with an English release, no less - is among the very last things I was expecting to see.

We have a lot of non-Nintendo options for emulating old consoles these days if you don't mind going that route. The RG351V, RG353V, Miyoo Mini, and Analogue Pocket are vertical options similar to the original Gameboy in a sense.
And if you want to get invested (read: sucked down this rabbit hole) I can recommend some great sites, YouTube channels, and subreddits.

I personally own a Miyoo Mini and RG351V for vertical brick layout style handhelds. They may seem intimidating, but become very easy to use, more so if you focus on the Linux environments (less fiddling).

Really love this new handheld hardware scene, its way more fun than whatever the big companies are doing, save Valve.

And if you want to get invested (read: sucked down this rabbit hole) I can recommend some great sites, YouTube channels, and subreddits.

I personally own a Miyoo Mini and RG351V for vertical brick layout style handhelds. They may seem intimidating, but become very easy to use, more so if you focus on the Linux environments (less fiddling).

Really love this new handheld hardware scene, its way more fun than whatever the big companies are doing, save Valve.
Not the OP, but the non-Switch handheld scene is something I've been trying to look into. It's shockingly difficult to find reliable info.

Best Buy has a number of Nintendo games for $39.99, physical and digital:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/select-nintendo-switch-games

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

New Pokemon Snap

Nintendo Switch Sports (physical only)

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Yoshi's Crafted World
Reminder that the Best Buy deals end at 1 AM ET/10 PM PT tonight.

They are also matching a bunch of the Try Before You Buy sale games for digital codes and physical:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat295100050011&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=percentdiscount_facet%3DDiscount~All%20Discounted%20Items&sc=Global&sp=%2Bskushortlabel%20skuidsaas&st=categoryid%24pcmcat295100050011&type=page&usc=All%20Categories

Yeah I have been following the scene pretty closely since about 2018 and there has been tremendous growth. My go to combo is the Steam Deck, ODIN PRO and Miyoo Mini depending on what I am able to carry and length of the trip. I have the 351V and it is great but I am trying to move on from it to the ODIN PRO for the better battery life, streaming capabilities and power.

Not the OP, but the non-Switch handheld scene is something I've been trying to look into. It's shockingly difficult to find reliable info.
Follow RetroGameCorps on Youtube. He is probably the best resource for those new to the scene. He reviews all the Chinese handhelds and is easy to follow. He also has a website if you prefer written guides.

Taki Udon, ETA Prime, RetroDodo, and Retro Game Corps are the folks I follow.

Taki seems a bit sassy, ETA Prime is a tech nerd, retro dodo is more casual affair, and RGC is probably the best at solely focused on the scene.

Then there's r/SBCgaming, which unless someone has a better forum, is the best "mix of everything," place.  I believe all the major players have their own subreddits, such as Miyoo, Anbernic, Retroid, AYN, PowKiddy, etc.

The long story made short for these things is they all use old phone parts and you're either seeking out the best Linux experience, which is very smooth, optimized, but has limitations versus an Android experience, which is more fiddly, potentially better performance, better streaming apps, and more of a media consumption device versus solely retrogaming.

The most popular stuff, like the Miyoo Mini and Ayn Odin line, are either routinely sold out or still on long back order. Anbernic has a ton of different models, and tends to be a bit more pricey than what you get, but the RG353p is probably the best entry for anything PS1 or older.

If you want Gamecube and newer, you're going to spend $300+ probably to get something, and you're better off with the Steam Deck ($400) at that price range.  Below that, you're really looking at the sub-$100 and sub-$200 ranges, with more features, capabilities, etc. between the two. The Ayn Odin series is the rare middle-ground in the $250~ range.

Expect to learn how to setup the device (Retro Game Corp has great guides), as the "stock" experience on most of them sucks is generally okay, but you're leaving performance on the table.  Finding the top fan-made Linux distros, like AmberELEC, or using Android front ends, like Daijisho,  and customizing your experience is half the fun.  

Many people cut their teeth on modding a PSP, PS Vita, or 3DS system (the DSi has limited emulation capacity).  So you could always go that route first; all of those are now supremely easy to hack.  Or if you have an old Android phone, you can use it for retro gaming with something like a Razer Kishi. 

I plan on waiting to get an AYN Odin when they are done being backlogged or waiting for whatever comes next; that's the one downside, is you're likely to always want the next best thing. 

Stuff I own:
- Retroid Pocket 2+ (w/ aftermarket grips; Daijisho Frontend)
- RG351V (AmberElec)
- MiyooMini (MiniUI)
- Galaxy S9+ w/ Razer Kishi (Daijisho Front End)
- Steam Deck
- 3DS, DSi, PSVita, PSP

Edit: Oh, yea, ordering!

Your choices are typically:

(Green = safest; Yellow = Small Risk; Red = Don't, very risky; Gray = for experience buyers only, but has value)

1) Amazon - the device is likely already in the USA, but you're paying a premium for that.  Lowest risk options, but at a higher price.

2) Directly from the vendor - the device is likely in China/Taiwan, the price is at the list price, and you're likely to get better refunds and/or repairs directly; Anbernic runs sales, as one example

3) IndieGoGo - this is a crowdsourcing site; technically not a purchase, but I do not know anyone who has been shafted from the bigger companies who used this (currently Ayn Odin Lites can be ordered on IGG)

4) AliExpress - the device is likely in China/Taiwan, likely the best pricing, but you have to know its from an official channel (like Miyoo's own storefront), otherwise it's a crapshoot

5) Unaffiliated Sites - Crapshoot; example would be KeepRetro... likely just drop shippers, I would not recommend them

6) eBay - for the new stuff you'll pay a premium, but for older stuff... it may still be at market pricing as demand seems to be growing?  However, most folks seem to take care of their stuff (or it sits unplayed because they have 9 other devices).  As always, be careful of what is or is not included, ensure the listing states its functional, and any mods done, if any.

7) Facebook, reddit, etc. - The community around this space is pretty good at being not-jerks; I have bought a used device from a rando, went well.  The hobby is still niche, so not really a lucrative market for scammers (yet), thus if you get in a community (recommend ones like private Facebook groups), you can probably get feedback on sellers before you buy.  Just use PayPal G&S for purchase protection.

Also, never, never, never use the stock microSD cards that come with them.  They are cheap trash and are very likely to fail (some within days of usage!). Buy SanDisk or Samsung cards, stock up when they are cheap!

bread's done
Back