Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Kirby, Zelda, mediocre Mario sports title (baseball), another sport added for Switch Sports, and release date for the next wave of Mario Kart DLC tracks.

Nah, distracts from Tears of the Kingdom. No remasters until next console is announced and all development shifts to next gen.
I can't believe they did not bring over the Twilight Princess HD and Windwaker HD remasters to the Switch. We could have held every console Zelda release in our hands.........sigh

I still think Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X will come at some point

The absolute earliest anyone should expect a Switch successor is Spring 2024. The 3ds was supported with ports for two years after the Switch came out, and since the Switch has sold like gangbusters, they will presumeably do the same. Those games all fit the "late-life port" mold of games that the 3DS got in 2017 and 2018

But yeah, no point in releasing the Zelda remasters until late holiday 2023 at the very earliest. Wouldn't want to eat into sales of the new Zelda

$60 for Advance Wars is gross. GBA titles are like $6 on the Wii U.
I just hope they worked more on the graphics because the CO's all look pretty great in Reboot Camp but the actual gameplay with the troops/tanks/etc all looked too generic. They really needed to throw on a (for lack of a better word) anime filter over top that.

Physical copies are currently listed for $59.99.

The people already defending price increases are the biggest bootlickers I've seen. 

Physical copies are currently listed for $59.99.

The people already defending price increases are the biggest bootlickers I've seen.
I don’t know it’s defending it but on a cost of living basis $69 is cheap vs prices in the past.

sam_naji_pricing_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For a game like BOTW $100 would be a great value imo. Same goes for GTA V I mean the amount of hours you can put into these games makes them worthy of buying the system alone is the way I see it.

I don’t know it’s defending it but on a cost of living basis $69 is cheap vs prices in the past.
Tech gets cheaper over time. Think of any device you have (besides enthusiast graphics cards...) and they all get better and cheaper; their value goes up and cost comes down primarily.

Since a Switch game isn't a high end thing (it's not a Rolex or Bugatti), the price inexplicably going up is not great.

Also, older games cost more because the media costed a ton more; early carts had a higher production cost than discs (or modern carts) and greater risk since the market was smaller and less defined. It's a bit more different world, with gaming as the number one by revenue entertainment industry, digital distribution is the primary means of sales for most of the industry (with the lowest cost to "produce"), and the fact that Switch games have already seen a notorious "$10 Switch Tax" premium because Nintendo stuck with carts.

I see zero reason for price increase outside of "line must go up."

I went to the TotK link and it's not even showing a price for me, it just says available 2023 in a greyed out box. Perhaps a miskey in the price on their end and they pulled it?

If you think videos games are just tech, you’re wrong. It’s content. And it’s inflation. If video games were stagnated at 64 bit or something then you could say it goes down over time.

Do you also expect sodas to be 25 cents too?

If you think videos games are just tech, you’re wrong. It’s content. And it’s inflation. If video games were stagnated at 64 bit or something then you could say it goes down over time.

Sodas is a completely different thing altogether. The price would also still be on the cheaper end if not for the tax trying to curb obesity I'd assume. Though until the pandemic sodas at my local grocery store were around 25 cents. They've gone up to 50/75.

Video games are tech, more so than any other entertainment medium. Many technologies intrinsic to hardware and software generation have gotten better, cheaper, and faster in comparison to prior materials over the past 50 years.

And as competition increases, prices also go down. Reminder, the video game market is larger than ever (again, largest entertainment market), thus the most competition ever (unless you mind the consolidation efforts ongoing...). If we live in reality, increased market competition should cause prices to fall, no?

Comparing it to a consumptive commodity is not accurate; if that was the case, you would compare cost of production and distribution only, which has also gone far down. As stated, earlier carts were each unique engineering attempts to accommodate the game and memory was vastly more expensive then. It's why discs saw the PS1 explode in games while the N64 languished (funny you made that analogy yourself; yes, had we stayed with N64 cart tech it would be much more expensive).

Since things are predominantly digitally delivered now, there is little defining need for price increases outside of the prices increasing elsewhere in the market. It's called the requirement for maximizing profits year over year. That's it. No secret, it's part of every public, for-profit companies charter as a fiduciary requirement to the board and shareholders.

Its up to customers to say no. But they won't. So worthless argument since we're quickly becoming disconnected with reality in terms of the cost of just about everything!

I’m not paying $70. 50% chance they announce Nintendo Selects ($25?) for some of the mediocre games (e.g. Mario Rabbids (original), Mario Bros Deluxe, etc.) to try to offset the bad press.

Earlier today

Nintendo promises 10% pay hike even as it trims profit outlook

A few hours later

Nintendo seems to increase video games price by $10, which is about 16%

It's called passing on the cost to consumers, no need to defend a for profit company. Last time I checked, Nintendo is not losing money to make video games for us.  If they can make billions (net income) by selling games for $60, raising it to $70 is nothing but corporate greed.

Meh, $50, $60, $70…. What difference does it make. These prices are for normies. Cheapasses don’t pay full price for anything. I don’t remember the last time I paid more than $20 for a video game actually. I’ve got Zelda gamelocked on gamefly, so I’m set.

Excited for this Direct though. Hoping they don’t spend too much time on TotK as it really deserves its own direct in like April or something. Would be nice to finally see the long-rumored new Donkey Kong game from Retro.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow whether it's a real price increase or not. If it's true I wish they would've at least waited till the next device comes out. Doing it mid-generation "just because" is a bad look. Hopefully the vouchers will still work on it, then I won't really care

If this is permanent then it's really gonna suck for those mid-tier Nintendo franchises. I think most people wouldn't mind paying $70 for what feels like a big and new experience, such as Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, etc

But can they really get away with charging $70 for lower budget and lower scope games like Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi's Crafted World, Mario Strikers etc? I mean you can get quality 2D platformers and party games for a dime a dozen nowadays, who is gonna drop $70 for a "AAA" 2D platformer or party game?

wall of text
The media isn’t the cost of the game. Outside of Nintendos proprietary carts, media is very cheap. It’s the cost to develop the games. You act like there aren’t hundreds of people working on these AAA titles. That’s inflation.

Edit: price isn’t determined by solely by competition - and especially not when the product is unique. You’re missing the demand curve. The point is that you think prices are set only by corporate greed. Outside of monopolistic items or collusion, the price is determined by the free market.

You guys were actually paying full price for games in the first place??

The only games I preorder/pay MSRP for are limited editions or my absolute favorite series. Which I guess Zelda would be for many people, but even then waiting a little bit for a sale isn't the end of the world.

You guys were actually paying full price for games in the first place??

The only games I preorder/pay MSRP for are limited editions or my absolute favorite series. Which I guess Zelda would be for many people, but even then waiting a little bit for a sale isn't the end of the world.
Not very often, but higher MSRP = higher prices when games are discounted

Nintendo typically does 30% off on their games during eShop sales. With an MSRP of $70, the sale price goes from $42 to $49. We're still paying more either way

We're still missing those CD-i games.
I would probably try them just out of sheer curiosity, though.
Well, a few years back someone released what was essentially a fan remastered version of both games on PC. Not a direct port, but rather re-made in a different game engine. So it's not exactly like playing the original versions, but as close as you'll probably be able to get at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEHIPmrulA

Earlier today

Nintendo promises 10% pay hike even as it trims profit outlook

A few hours later

Nintendo seems to increase video games price by $10, which is about 16%

It's called passing on the cost to consumers, no need to defend a for profit company. Last time I checked, Nintendo is not losing money to make video games for us. If they can make billions (net income) by selling games for $60, raising it to $70 is nothing but corporate greed.
And this is why minimum wage hikes not driven by supply and demand should not be supported. Raising prices offset the benefits to the working class. The upper class barely notices. The middle class pays increased prices with no artificial subsidy.

Lol at not liking the word bootlicker, what a card.

And if you still disagree about the cost going up, well then enjoy believing whatever you're told.

There's zero reason for price increase beyond line must go up and Nintendo knows they can charge it.

People on CAG defending price raises. Mental. The truest Gamer™ moment.

And this is why minimum wage hikes not driven by supply and demand should not be supported. Raising prices offset the benefits to the working class. The upper class barely notices. The middle class pays increased prices with no artificial subsidy.
I agree with most of that besides the middle class part. That's basically extinct at this point.

bread's done
Back